Visits/Workouts

REAMDE

Fine with me. A little surprised Perry isn't on the list though.

Surprised and disappointed....Looks like Hill is the pick going from visits, which the Jets (I've heard) usually make their pick from....Still three weeks to go...Disappointed Barron (or Floyd) haven't been in either, but the possibility is there that they don't believe these guys will be there.

Surprised and disappointed....Looks like Hill is the pick going from visits, which the Jets (I've heard) usually make their pick from....Still three weeks to go...Disappointed Barron (or Floyd) haven't been in either, but the possibility is there that they don't believe these guys will be there.

Right or wrong, I just don't think the Jets put enough value on the safety position to even bother considering taking one in the first. The Jets have used a grand total of one draft pick on safety since Tanny took over, that was in his first draft, and it was Eric freakin' Smith. On top of all of that, that one pick they used was a comp pick. Unless they think they're getting great value out of someone, I seriously doubt they go safety before day 3.

I think we'll draft a Safety, just not in the first. I think the first is where you'll see a OLB, WR, or an OL picked. Just because we didnt bring them in for individual workouts doesnt mean we won't draft someone. I think a guy like Upshaw is still a very likely possibility in the first.

I think we'll draft a Safety, just not in the first. I think the first is where you'll see a OLB, WR, or an OL picked. Just because we didnt bring them in for individual workouts doesnt mean we won't draft someone. I think a guy like Upshaw is still a very likely possibility in the first.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remember reading what Gato is referring to, and there was something about since Tanny took over the Jets have only drafted players in the first round who visited with the team. Of course that doesn't necessarily make anything definite for the future, but it is a pretty interesting and telling trend.

Right or wrong, I just don't think the Jets put enough value on the safety position to even bother considering taking one in the first. The Jets have used a grand total of one draft pick on safety since Tanny took over, that was in his first draft, and it was Eric freakin' Smith. On top of all of that, that one pick they used was a comp pick. Unless they think they're getting great value out of someone, I seriously doubt they go safety before day 3.

I don't think it has anything to do with value of the safety position, but rather than Barron is moving up and wont make it to 16.

Honestly believe the whole "safety isn't valued" argument is getting outdated as its spewed. In a passing league we're going to see the value of good safety talet go up rather than down. I dont remember the numbers but IIRC it already has and no ones bothered to notice.

Safety play is a huge chunk of why the Colts and Steelers beat the Jets IMO. Colts beat them with the pass in the second half, and the Steelers ran on us in the first half. I probably made that up but that sounds an awful lot like a team who's safety play isn't that strong.

I think if they miss out on Barron they target Iloka before the 4th.

I don't think it has anything to do with value of the safety position, but rather than Barron is moving up and wont make it to 16.

Honestly believe the whole "safety isn't valued" argument is getting outdated as its spewed. In a passing league we're going to see the value of good safety talet go up rather than down. I dont remember the numbers but IIRC it already has and no ones bothered to notice.

Safety play is a huge chunk of why the Colts and Steelers beat the Jets IMO. Colts beat them with the pass in the second half, and the Steelers ran on us in the first half. I probably made that up but that sounds an awful lot like a team who's safety play isn't that strong.

I think if they miss out on Barron they target Iloka before the 4th.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean league-wide, I just mean for the Jets. I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I'm just not sure the team does, for whatever reason. When it comes to DBs, there's little question that Ryan values his CBs faaaar more than safeties. The Jets have traded away every single player they have had at safety who could cover worth a sh*t ever since Rex came to town. Trust me, I really hope I'm wrong here because I hate Eric Smith with every fiber of my being, but it's just not a position the team has shown any interest in investing in. Hell, they've invested more at freakin' FB than they have at safety since Rex came to town.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean league-wide, I just mean for the Jets. I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I'm just not sure the team does, for whatever reason. When it comes to DBs, there's little question that Ryan values his CBs faaaar more than safeties. The Jets have traded away every single player they have had at safety who could cover worth a sh*t ever since Rex came to town. Trust me, I really hope I'm wrong here because I hate Eric Smith with every fiber of my being, but it's just not a position the team has shown any interest in investing in. Hell, they've invested more at freakin' FB than they have at safety since Rex came to town.

Well the only safety that could cover here was Rhodes, who was also a pretty boy nancy with dreams of being an ACK-tor. Can't hold that against a whole position because of that, and Dwight Lowery might be the single most overrated non-Jet by Jet fans this offseason.

Ryan's been coaching here what, 3 years? How many big impact safeties have the Jets been able to make a move on in that time? Berry and Thomas were long gone on draft day...and no doubt they would have jumped on either....Rolle we couldn't touch in FA, and personally I've thought they wanted him even before that FA period opened up.

We have a HC who worked with Ed Reed for almost a decade and who had to deal with Troy Polamalu for most of that time....I think the HC knows the value of a high end safety. I think Rex appreciates ALL DBs, but yes CBs will be more valuable since they're taking out the WRs.

As far as the FB argument...You're more likely to get an impact talent at FB in the 5th (which is arguably the absolute earliest you should take one) than you are an impact safety. That's a round for guys like the lesser Landry, Abram Elam, and most of the other JAG type safeties that find work in this league because of how poor the safety talent actually is.

Personally the only guy they've truly missed on at safety (meaning they could have had him) is Kam Chancellor, who could be playing LB for the 'Hawks sooner or later.

Well the only safety that could cover here was Rhodes, who was also a pretty boy nancy with dreams of being an ACK-tor. Can't hold that against a whole position because of that, and Dwight Lowery might be the single most overrated non-Jet by Jet fans this offseason.

Ryan's been coaching here what, 3 years? How many big impact safeties have the Jets been able to make a move on in that time? Berry and Thomas were long gone on draft day...and no doubt they would have jumped on either....Rolle we couldn't touch in FA, and personally I've thought they wanted him even before that FA period opened up.

We have a HC who worked with Ed Reed for almost a decade and who had to deal with Troy Polamalu for most of that time....I think the HC knows the value of a high end safety. I think Rex appreciates ALL DBs, but yes CBs will be more valuable since they're taking out the WRs.

As far as the FB argument...You're more likely to get an impact talent at FB in the 5th (which is arguably the absolute earliest you should take one) than you are an impact safety. That's a round for guys like the lesser Landry, Abram Elam, and most of the other JAG type safeties that find work in this league because of how poor the safety talent actually is.

Personally the only guy they've truly missed on at safety (meaning they could have had him) is Kam Chancellor, who could be playing LB for the 'Hawks sooner or later.

great post.

I think another consideration to our Safety spot is the fact that next year's crop is going to be incredibly loaded with talent:

the Honey Badger, TJ Macdonald, Robert Lester, Ray Ray Armstrong...and I'm sure others who haven't made a name for themselves will pop up.

We can get a second round safety next year, that will be as-good/better than a first round safety this year.

great post.

I think another consideration to our Safety spot is the fact that next year's crop is going to be incredibly loaded with talent:

the Honey Badger, TJ Macdonald, Robert Lester, Ray Ray Armstrong...and I'm sure others who haven't made a name for themselves will pop up.

We can get a second round safety next year, that will be as-good/better than a first round safety this year.

Ray Ray Armstrong blows...I'd love to have TJ McDonald though...think it's bad strategy...especially for this team with a fanbase in full on bitch mode...to hold off on drafting any significant talent because of "next year."

Don't think that's what you're suggesting anyway...

A project WR to pair with Sparano, Sanchez and Tebow. That'd be Jet-y.

A project WR to pair with Sparano, Sanchez and Tebow. That'd be Jet-y.

We aren't drafting Hill to be Wes Welker as a route runner in year one. We are drafting him to win one on one match ups deep and in the red zone which he can do right now and it is also exactly what this offense is missing right now. We have Kerley and Schilens to run routes underneath. Hill needs no grooming as a blocker he blocked a lot and very well in college. Green Bay, the Pats and New Orleans all do not have a number one WR. They have WR's who can do one or two things well. Hill is one of those guys with the potential to be a number one at some point.

We aren't drafting Hill to be Wes Welker as a route runner in year one. We are drafting him to win one on one match ups deep and in the red zone which he can do right now and it is also exactly what this offense is missing right now. We have Kerley and Schilens to run routes underneath. Hill needs no grooming as a blocker he blocked a lot and very well in college. Green Bay, the Pats and New Orleans all do not have a number one WR. They have WR's who can do one or two things well. Hill is one of those guys with the potential to be a number one at some point.

yes the more i hear and see about thid kid the more i like him but our problems start with lack of sacks i think we can drop to 20 get him and grab a 3rd but my line is the jets will blow this draft. we need a ilb and olb also good players an latter rounds and we will not get them makes me crazy

yes the more i hear and see about thid kid the more i like him but our problems start with lack of sacks i think we can drop to 20 get him and grab a 3rd but my line is the jets will blow this draft. we need a ilb and olb also good players an latter rounds and we will not get them makes me crazy

We should be able to generate more sacks when we can keep our defense off the field a little more. If we can drop a little and still get him it would be great. I still think we can get him at 16 and find an OLB and S in the next two rounds. Then RB, S, CB, T/G, ILB (no intent in the order) in the later rounds. That would be a great draft imho.

We should be able to generate more sacks when we can keep our defense off the field a little more. If we can drop do a little and still get him it would be great. I still think we can get him at 16 and find an OLB and S in the next two rounds. Then RB, S, CB, T/G, ILB (no intent in the order) in the later rounds. That would be a great draft imho.

yeah there is great talent in rounds 2,3,5 and even 6 but we have no eye for talent in those rounds we do ok in the 1st and crap the bed the rest of the way the draft is for depth and we just dont draft well

Archived