Looking for a used car right now is not fun

Maxman

My son gets his license in a week and the used car search is rough. Prices are high. American cars are now reliable? I missed this but am really glad to hear this.

That said, we have a week and want to get this car search wrapped up.

Anyone selling a car?

here you go Max, kid will be a stud in a gold Caddy!

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=318426617&dealer_id=53131477&car_year=1995&dealership_view_name=null&result_car_id=236770336&sort_type=priceASC&cardist=0

25117560079.318426617.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

$3500

:character0182:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's cool. A lot of fun, but absolutely no downtime. Sometimes I wish I could just sit down and read for day, or sleep for a day, but no time. There's just so much else going on, which is awesome and annoying at the same time.

You still taking JetNation 101 next semester?

i had a 1988 Jeep Comanche Pick up, with 180,000 miles on the original straight 6 and a hole in the top half of the gas tank. i just got rid of it for $400 to some kid who was gonna turn it into a flat bed. i would've given it to you had i known you were looking. best truck i ever owned.

218B1BAD-01D7-4CC3-8215-34BF6E36EABC_1.jpg

You should have given it to Bleedin Green. :)

My mom wants to buy a 2010 Hyundai Accent she wants to pay 10-11 G cash and they won't come down like 500 more dollars to move the car out of that lot-baffling to me...in this economy if someone says I HAVE CASH!!!! you'd think they would jump all over it but they actually want you to lease it or make payments on a buy-all she needs it for is to go to Bingo and Publix so a lease doesn't make sense.

the Honda dealers I've run into have been some of the most arrogant, obnoxious salesmen I've ever met. they weren't willing to drop a penny off sticker price, and their reasoning was that they had a waiting list because Honda underproduced. I know a few ppl who got hyundais and had similar experiences, with much worse cars.

I don't care what their cars reputations are (I had an 03 CRV and it was just OK, and expensive to maintain, my moms hyundais had the warrantee voided for known problems with the model, etc), if the dealer is a jerk, I'm not giving them my business.

never thought I'd buy a ford, and I still can't recommend an older one... but the new fusion is great and the dealer bent over backwards to make me happy.

.... I'd still make him buy his own car, though... it's a thing you can't learn too early, and you respect your own money much more than anyone else's.

The search is over. Finally. It was a long search. It was painful. And we ended up buying a car without even seeing it. We had a connection that got us this car at a wholesale price. He inspected it for us and said that we should pull the trigger on it. Slightly above my quoted range above, but that is how it always works...

I am definitely going to regret this though. It is a 2002 Ford Focus with 92k miles on it.

Shane_Car1.jpg

Shane_Car2.jpg

can not beat Honda or Toyota -for 30 years of driving 20 or so with Honda CRV and before that Corolla no major problems

We bought a ford but thanks for the feedback lol.

Hondas were waaay expensive.

That's a baller car. Get him to tune it up and race on the NJ freeways!! No? Okay.

I don't think it is much of a racing car. It is more of a drive super slow and try to look cool car. They lowered the suspension on it, so it looks like it needs to be driven SLOW!

I am not complaining about that part of it!

My mom wants to buy a 2010 Hyundai Accent she wants to pay 10-11 G cash and they won't come down like 500 more dollars to move the car out of that lot-baffling to me...in this economy if someone says I HAVE CASH!!!! you'd think they would jump all over it but they actually want you to lease it or make payments on a buy-all she needs it for is to go to Bingo and Publix so a lease doesn't make sense.

Go in at the end of the month, they are more motivated to bump there numbers then.

The search is over. Finally. It was a long search. It was painful. And we ended up buying a car without even seeing it. We had a connection that got us this car at a wholesale price. He inspected it for us and said that we should pull the trigger on it. Slightly above my quoted range above, but that is how it always works...

I am definitely going to regret this though. It is a 2002 Ford Focus with 92k miles on it.

Shane_Car1.jpg

Shane_Car2.jpg

HMMMM..the salesman wasnt 6ft 5inch 325lb guy with black hair who also doubles as the former official JN Tailgate chef, would it?

hah you pay for what you get sometimes- higher price for Honda but better car IMO

Okay that is all well and good but when it is a higer price than the amount of money that you have, it really isn't an option. The Honda's of the same age were going for over $4,000.

Plus none of them had lowered suspensions. Which by the way is a car that I would never want to drive myself. :)

HMMMM..the salesman wasnt 6ft 5inch 325lb guy with black hair who also doubles as the former official JN Tailgate chef, would it?

I think I know who you were talking about. But no, it was not Duane. Have you spoken to him lately? I haven't...curious how he is doing.

hah you pay for what you get sometimes- higher price for Honda but better car IMO

Frank also I want you to know that I once purchased a Pontiac Aztec. So that pretty much makes me an authority on cars. Enough said, lol.

Nice first car! My brother had a girlfriend with one of those, she washed it with a Brillo pad once, steel wool. :D The car was only about 2 months old and the paint was ruined. From what I remember, they had no problems with the car, but thankfully the girl was gone before the car became a high miler.

Nice first car! My brother had a girlfriend with one of those, she washed it with a Brillo pad once, steel wool. :biggrin: The car was only about 2 months old and the paint was ruined. From what I remember, they had no problems with the car, but thankfully the girl was gone before the car became a high miler.

Steel wool, ouch.

Thanks - hopefully this car holds up well. He won't put many miles on it and we had it checked out. They said it was in good shape, fingers crossed.

in college my best friend had a big old boat of a pontiac, don' remember the model, some kind of cab driver car... and it had an old 4x4 for a bumper.

we could fit 10 ppl in that thing if we were drunk enough.... and on lap sitting terms.

... not that that's what normally happens in first cars... cause... kids are different now :)

A picnic table? :0 Now I'm jealous. :)

it was like a folding card table that covered the spare tire well, which didn't hold a spare, cause that was stuck to the back door. the well was a nice little waterproof hidey hole.... i think the idea was to make it a tailgating vehicle.

Didn't those come with a tent as standard equipment? Now that's a vehicle!

The camping package was actually an option. Truth be told I loved that car. But the A\C broke at 37k and there were a whole host of other issues. Once I wasn't negative on it, I traded it in for a Chrysler 300. Now that was a decent car. :)

He has his drivers test late Monday morning. This DMV process now is crazy. Stickers for license plates, 6 point system. We are printing out report cards so he has proof of address...good stuff.

Archived