Schatz: Revis' Second Half Falloff Offset By Improved Play By Cromartie

RutgersJetFan

Kind of a pain to copy and post with all the charts, so I'll just post the link:

http://www.footballo...ting-stats-2011

There's a few great points to take from this article:

- Revis definitely had a noticeable drop in the latter half of the season. He was lights out for the first half and Schatz' data backs that up. Also if your memory needs a bit of refreshing, PFF wrote a great article in late Oct about the season he was having:

http://www.profootba...n-the-revis-10/

- Schatz admits that the sample for Revis at that point in the year is on the smaller side, but I think we all remember a few struggles late in the year. Schatz proposes it was the knee, I have to agree. He allowed only 10 catches total on the first half of the year; one could argue that the 2nd half of his season was part of a normal regression after any player starting off that well, but the problem is we've seen Revis play like that consistently before and his end-of-year numbers are nowhere near his regular means.

- Cromartie has been underrated pretty hard by Jet fans. With Revis dropping that drastically, the fact that we still maintained a top-5 passing defense on the conventional #'s and a top-2 passing D on efficiency #'s is really something. Success Rate is a great statistic for CB's and that's a pretty beastly jump, had he not started off so slow he probably would have finished somewhere around top-3 on the season. He's also at 5 on the year for YAC.

I've been saying this about Cromartie for how long?

The Star Ledger actually put out a decent piece on this a while ago...Cromartie is someone who's really taken to the coaching here. I have a sh*tload of this faith stuff in Rex and Pettine being able to translate any guy's skills they pick and turn it into a production in their D.

So when do we Champ Bailey Revis?

The Star Ledger actually put out a decent piece on this a while ago...Cromartie is someone who's really taken to the coaching here. I have a sh*tload of this faith stuff in Rex and Pettine being able to translate any guy's skills they pick and turn it into a production in their D.

So when do we Champ Bailey Revis?

I guess next season with his inevitable hold out.

I think it's a bit of a balance between everything. Have to remember that he was switched around an awful lot in his first year being thrown back into press coverage with Revis missing time, but his #'s were still good then. I do wonder what's responsible for such a slow start, I'm guessing finding a way to deal with less action played a part because he was targeted about half as much as he was last year. Revis on the other hand was targeted about twice as much.

I think it's a bit of a balance between everything. Have to remember that he was switched around an awful lot in his first year being thrown back into press coverage with Revis missing time, but his #'s were still good then. I do wonder what's responsible for such a slow start, I'm guessing finding a way to deal with less action played a part because he was targeted about half as much as he was last year. Revis on the other hand was targeted about twice as much.

Were teams jus saying f it and testing Revis or was he feeling pretty?

I do think it's a perfect storm...Cromartie is loaded with tools and one of the most athletic players in the league, and Rex/Pettine just know what they're doing with the D.

I dont think there was anything wrong with Revis' knee. I just think that for whatever reason he matched up terribly with Stevie Johnson . In his first 7 games according to PFF Revis went 10/33 for 120. In the final 7 without Johnson it was 14/36 for 227. The YAC was much higher 4.07 to 2.8, but his last 7 in 2010 when he got his body right was 5.4 and the year before was 3.7 so the abberation was those first few games not the last few. YPC was 16.4. Thats way worse than 2009 but he wasnt close to that last year either. His last 7 in 2010 were 14.3. He never matches up with Johnson in 2010.

I think the reality is 2009 was just ridiculously good and so much so that people hold Revis to some insane standard. But hes the only consistent one year over year. Samuel and Cromartie are probably the other two consistent guys over the last 2-3 (for Cro obviously 2) years.

I'll say it everytime, (edit: individual) defensive stats are fuking retarded.

The pass rush was between awful and nonexistent. So the longe rplays go the more coverage breaks down, no matter how good the croners are.

Archived