Cimini: Jets Hot for Aussie Rugby Star

flgreen

Jets hot for Aussie rugby star

April, 2, 2012

Apr 2

6:39

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets are showing serious interest in Australian rugby star Hayden Smith, a 6-foot-7, 240-pound former basketball player who projects as a tight end in the NFL. (His weight also has been reported as 260 pounds.)

Smith has visited a number of NFL teams, including the Jets, who hosted him in early February. Smith is close to signing with the Jets, according to The Daily Telegaph in Australia.

We reported the Jets' interest in Smith in early February. He was born in Australia, played college basketball at Metropolitan State in Denver, took up rugby and made the U.S. national team. From there, he played professional rugby on a premier team in England.

This wouldn't be the Jets' first Aussie signing. From 2005 to 2007, their punter was Ben Graham, a former Australian Rules Football star. But as we mentioned, Smith isn't a punter; he's supposed to be a terrific athlete. He reportedly ran the 40 in 4.7 seconds.

Former University of Minnesota coach Tim Brewster, who has mentored Smith on his quest to become a tight end, told the Daily Telegraph: "A lot of coaches shy away from guys who haven't played the game because it is an exhausting process. To me, that's the exciting part. Taking a piece of clay like that. And I am going to tell you Hayden Smith is one beautiful piece of clay. Just mold him into what you want him to be."

Never a dull moment with the Jets. Imagine Tim Tebow throwing to a former rugby star.

Well I for one have a problem with this! See here see here! Big problem big problem! He's not even American, DAMMIT! Tannenbaum and friends are weak and unpatriotic. Handing out AMERICAN jobs to a man from a country founded with a criminal population? He's gonna come in here, use that accent, get laid all the time, everyone will be jelly, and Tannenbaum ONCE AGAIN will have invited chaos into the locker room.

Big problems big problems.

Well I for one have a problem with this! See here see here! Big problem big problem! He's not even American, DAMMIT! Tannenbaum and friends are weak and unpatriotic. Handing out AMERICAN jobs to a man from a country founded with a criminal population? He's gonna come in here, use that accent, get laid all the time, everyone will be jelly, and Tannenbaum ONCE AGAIN will have invited chaos into the locker room.

Big problems big problems.

I hate you

I can't imagine this guy is going to be much of a blocker, which you would think would be the Jets much greater need at the TE position. Hell, if they think he's got some potential then by all means bring him in, but with a depth chart of Keller, Cumberland and Baker, a true TE would be a nice thing for this team at some point.

I can't imagine this guy is going to be much of a blocker, which you would think would be the Jets much greater need at the TE position. Hell, if they think he's got some potential then by all means bring him in, but with a depth chart of Keller, Cumberland and Baker, a true TE would be a nice thing for this team at some point.

This kids big hope is the PS, and a year to develop some football skills

I hate saying it, but it's really become increasingly more obvious; Jets' fans are becoming the new Red Sox fans. No matter what the team does, they will complain...and be happy about complaining.

So we're trying to find the next Antonio Gates, how could this be a problem?? Minimum contract = low risk, high reward.

Preface: I know it's not a big deal.

BUT: The fact that the Jets are dedicating any resources at all to something this stupid is pretty annoying.

Lol, so you're annoyed that our scouting department is scouting? Would you rather the scouting department allocate their resources to a department other than scouting? I bet ya San Diego fans weren't annoyed with their front office when they signed Antonio Gates.

I hate saying it, but it's really become increasingly more obvious; Jets' fans are becoming the new Red Sox fans. No matter what the team does, they will complain...and be happy about complaining.

So we're trying to find the next Antonio Gates, how could this be a problem?? Minimum contract = low risk, high reward.

I was literally laughing at the part where the reporter is standing in fron of the hoop and this guy bricks two short shots and doe the least impressive lay up in recorded history

go to 1:30

Lol, so you're annoyed that our scouting department is scouting? Would you rather the scouting department allocate their resources to a department other than scouting? I bet ya San Diego fans weren't annoyed with their front office when they signed Antonio Gates.

I'm sure most Charger fans had no idea who he was until he started blazing a borderline HOF career.

Some of these kind of guys never even make it into camp. They take a good look at them in the mini's If he shows any kind of feel for football, he'll get to hang around awhile.

Interesting thing about this guy is it seems he has already changed to a sport late in life and had some success. Probably has rare athletic ability.

ya never know

I was literally laughing at the part where the reporter is standing in fron of the hoop and this guy bricks two short shots and doe the least impressive lay up in recorded history

go to 1:30

Hahah it was at the point when I said, yea, he belongs in a much more physical sport.

I'm sure most Charger fans had no idea who he was until he started blazing a borderline HOF career.

I mean he's obviously the exception and not the rule. I don't wanna compare the two situations too much, as Gates was already a heck of a high school player and was gonna play at michigan state, except for Saban wouldn't let him play basketball as well.

That having been said, I doubt they were complaining, I don't see what there is to complain about. If he doesn't make the roster, absolutely zero loss. If he makes it and contributes, then you have a good story. If he somehow has a handful of productive years, then you have one of those rare occasions kids on message boards will be talking about in a few years or so.

Some of these kind of guys never even make it into camp. They take a good look at them in the mini's If he shows any kind of feel for football, he'll get to hang around awhile.

Interesting thing about this guy is it seems he has already changed to a sport late in life and had some success. Probably has rare athletic ability.

ya never know

If you can play rugby you can play American Football (not saying at NFL level)

It's harmless to bring in guys for a look. I wish they would bring in more rugby players, Aussies, Sumo wrestlers, Olympic wrestlers, powerlifters and anyother athlete that might be able to play in the NFL.

Post image for Jets Close to Signing 6’7″ Aussie Rugby Player

Yes, you’ve read the title correctly…the New York Jets are close to signing a 6’7″  Australian Rugby player named Hayden Smith.  Smith played rugby for the U.S. National Team and went on to play professionally in England for a bit.  Listed at 240lbs, Smith can be the tight end the Jets so desperately need.  Is he going to be Rob Gronkowski? Most likely not…but a blocking tight end with tremendous athleticism (He also played college basketball in the U.S. for Metropolitan State in Minnesota) and good hands may be just what the doctor ordered.  We all know Sanchez has a habit of throwing high to receivers.  What better way to fix it but bringing in a 6 foot 7 tight end?

Smith visited a few NFL teams, but seems to prefer the Jets, who worked him out back in February.  According to the Daily Telegraph in Australia, Smith has been working out with former University of Minnesota coach Tim Brewster on transitioning into a formidable NFL tight end.  Brewster stated:

“A lot of coaches shy away from guys who haven’t played the game because it is an exhausting process.  To me, that’s the exciting part.  Taking a piece of clay like that.  And I am going to tell you Hayden Smith is one beautiful piece of clay.  Just mold him into what you want him to be.”

It seems the Jets and Rex Ryan have a plan to mold this kid into the next Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham.  Keep our fingers crossed that this works out.  As the offseason has gone with the Jets, this move may be the only one that works out positively.

di
di

2AHM-hJP6EA

View the full article

This dude is stunningly handsome, well built, and has a hella-cool accent. Conclusion: Woody is a person who finds certain aquisitions...well...more "attractive".

The Jets are gonna be slam packed with handsome hunks.

It's not a big deal.

But when your team hasn't won a Super Bowl in 40+ years, you just got exposed as a circus, the other team in town wins the Super Bowl twice in 4 years, and your team not only decided to trade for Tim Tebow but failed to read Tebow's contract first and nearly untrades for TIm Tebow, everything begins to give you a bad feeling.

ETA: and something about the headline is embarrassing.

Gates played football in HS though. Plus the dude was a baller in college. He led Kent State to the Elite 8 in '02. Even then he displayed some freakish athleticism.

Archived