Jets and Keller begin to talk contract

ZachEY

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keller gets too much sh*t from Jets fans. He's a solid TE. They need another one though. The mythical beast that is Jeff Cumberland isn't doing it for me anymore.

Hes a one dimentional TE and hes just decent in his one dimention. I would like it if he was a bit tougher and would go up for balls over the middle but he does neither.

My prediction..... the Jets will once again over pay.

Put him with Drew Brees and see what he does...

LOL JIF this is funny. You do realize Brees currnetly throws to a 6-7 beast of a TE thats not a pussy

Jimmy Graham 99 ctaches 1300 tards 11 TDs ...Keller will NEVER even sniff those numbers no matter who is trowing to him. And if you think this was ALL because of Brees all you have to do Is look at previous TE's in NO

2010 Shockey 44 catches 400 yards 3 TD's combined with Grahams rookie year of 31 catches for 300 yards

2009 Shockey 48 Catches 569 yards 3 TD's combined with Thomas for 35 catches for 356

2008 Shockey 50 483 0 tds

2007 Eric Johnson 48 379 2 TD's Billy Miller 37 378

How come Brees didnt make those guys great ?

None of those numbers are that great until Graham broke out last year. Which also made that offense that much more dangerous making defenders not only have to worry about Big WR's and Dynamic backs out of the backfield but it had a huge effect on the middle of the field which makes that offense almost unstoppable which was evident when they scored at will on the Best Defense in football in the playoffs. You take Graham and Sproles out of that offense ajnd they are not even close to what they were and they still had good talent without those guys. Once again compare that talent level to the Jets scurrent skill players and there is NO way that the Jets even come remotely close

So no Keller does not even Sniff the numbers Jimmy Graham put up and will continue to put up.

When the Jets decide to treat Sanchez like a rewal franchise QB and get him some real skill players and pay any attention to the offense at all he will do well I guarantee it. But we all know In Jets land this is no longer the case. We sign Ex Cons and thugs to the skill spots and never have a receiving THREAT out of the backfield so Im not sure how anyone expects our QB to succeed or come close to the numbers the elite QB's in this league put up

LOL JIF this is funny. You do realize Brees currnetly throws to a 6-7 beast of a TE thats not a pussy

Jimmy Graham 99 ctaches 1300 tards 11 TDs ...Keller will NEVER even sniff those numbers no matter who is trowing to him. And if you think this was ALL because of Brees all you have to do Is look at previous TE's in NO

2010 Shockey 44 catches 400 yards 3 TD's combined with Grahams rookie year of 31 catches for 300 yards

2009 Shockey 48 Catches 569 yards 3 TD's combined with Thomas for 35 catches for 356

None of those numbers are that great until Graham broke out last year. Which also made that offense that much more dangerous making defenders not only have to worry about Big WR's and Dynamic backs out of the backfield but it had a huge effect on the middle of the field which makes that offense almost unstoppable which was evident when they scored at will on the Best Defense in football in the playoffs. You take Graham and Sproles out of that offense ajnd they are not even close to what they were and they still had good talent without those guys. Once again compare that talent level to the Jets scurrent skill players and there is NO way that the Jets even come remotely close

So no Keller does not even Sniff the numbers Jimmy Graham put up and will continue to put up.

When the Jets decide to treat Sanchez like a rewal franchise QB and get him some real skill players and pay any attention to the offense at all he will do well I guarantee it. But we all know In Jets land this is no longer the case. We sign Ex Cons and thugs to the skill spots and never have a receiving THREAT out of the backfield so Im not sure how anyone expects our QB to succeed or come close to the numbers the elite QB's in this league put up

I have no idea what the hell your talking about?

You expected me to read this?

Put Keller with Brees and he's a 80+ catch 1,000 yard receiving TE. Keller's not Jimmy Graham but he'd be a lot better with a decent QB.

Heres what I learned this offseason.

Sanchez stunk because of Schottenheimer.

Keller would be all-pro if only he had a great QB to catch passes from.(and if he didnt trip and fall down after making a catch)

Bart Scott doesnt suck. The defensive scheme only makes it look that way.

Not helping. Still ave no idea what the hell your talking about.

I think it's that the Jets are amazing at trading up for QBs and finding great ones even if they have no college pedigree, but when they spend a high pick, or sign a highly regarded skill player, they have no ability to do so, always making the wrong move. Basically, the Jets can't find any skill players for Sanchez (who's just waiting to be elite), while teams like New Orleans or New England, draft players in the 3rd and 4th round who turn out to be great based solely on their own merits, and not because of the QBs they have in place. Essentially, Jimmy Graham, who played one year in college, and was drafted late in the 3rd round, was passed on almost 3 times by all teams, but New Orleans knew he was a superstar talent when they took him and it had nothing to do with having a QB who's elite that helped him turn out to be the player he was.

Strangely enough, I actually become a bigger fan of Keller's this past season. While he's certainly not an elite level talent, and can be maddening at times, the guy has managed to consistently outperform everyone else in that receiving corps for years now, meanwhile has only seen about 1/2 of a season combined of quality QB play throughout his entire career. He's one of those guys that, if the Jets were to let him hit FA, I think would join the list of Jets players who went on to have far more success after they left, if he got to play with even just an average QB. He's certainly not worth top level money, but I think when you look at the heap of crap that is the Jets offense these days, he's probably the one guy outside of the OL there's legit reason to want to keep around long term.

BG who are these phantom players that went from the Jets to other teams to have success ? They may have had success because of the teams in general but theres not one single Jet I can say went to another team and did better than they did here. Only one that comes to mind was a long time ago and that was Terrance Mathis. Santana Moss had one very good year with the Skins but it was just a few hundred yards better in a full season than he did with us in 12 games. Coles did about the same as well.

I think it's that the Jets are amazing at trading up for QBs and finding great ones even if they have no college pedigree, but when they spend a high pick, or sign a highly regarded skill player, they have no ability to do so, always making the wrong move. Basically, the Jets can't find any skill players for Sanchez (who's just waiting to be elite), while teams like New Orleans or New England, draft players in the 3rd and 4th round who turn out to be great based solely on their own merits, and not because of the QBs they have in place. Essentially, Jimmy Graham, who played one year in college, and was drafted late in the 3rd round, was passed on almost 3 times by all teams, but New Orleans knew he was a superstar talent when they took him and it had nothing to do with having a QB who's elite that helped him turn out to be the player he was.

Its pretty obvious that Graham outshined every other TE Brees played with by a huge margin so why didnt Brees put up those huge numbers with other TE's Must be that Graham is a pretty damn good talent go figure. Dosent hurt to have a boatload of skill players out of the backfield and at WR either I guess. I mean we all know the Jets have such talents as Sproles, Thomas, ingram, Colston, Henderson, Moore, Graham and Meecham Yep our guys last year were in that class ....

Oh, I thought he was saying Brees would be a jag without Graham.

You expected me to read this?

Put Keller with Brees and he's a 80+ catch 1,000 yard receiving TE. Keller's not Jimmy Graham but he'd be a lot better with a decent QB.

So basically you're saying Keller would be the best tight end in the league if he played on the Saints. Interesting.

So basically you're saying Keller would be the best tight end in the league if he played on the Saints. Interesting.

Where did I say this? My assumption is you came up with this because of the numbers I projected?

Well, its only 15 more catches and 150 more yards than last season. Is that unrealistic? lol

Nobody said that. Graham is a beast. You think he's putting up 90+ 1000+ and double digit TD's with Sanchez?

Damn yo

He'd put up huge numbers with any QB with a pulse.

As for Keller, no he doesnt come close to those projections with Brees. Average players don't magically turn into stars because they play with Drew Brees. Good players are good players. Keller doesnt have the size or speed to dominate his position in the NFL.

He'd put up huge numbers with any QB with a pulse.

As for Keller, no he doesnt come close to those projections with Brees. Average players don't magically turn into stars because they play with Drew Brees. Good players are good players. Keller doesnt have the size or speed to dominate his position in the NFL.

So, Keller doesnt catch 15 more passes for 150 more yards with Drew Brees in an offense that throws the ball 650 times per year? Sanchez maxes out Keller's potential at 65 and 850? lmfao. Ok buddy.

Its not even that significant of an increase. lol

So, Keller doesnt catch 15 more passes for 150 more yards with Drew Brees in an offense that throws the ball 650 times per year? Sanchez maxes out Keller's potential at 65 and 850? lmfao. Ok buddy.

The problem is Dustin Keller stinks. So no, he doesnt magically put up the best #'s for a tight end in the game playing with Drew Brees.

The problem is Dustin Keller stinks.

I dont think he stinks. He's decent. Decent enough to catch 80 passes for a thousand yards with a decent QB. ;-)

He's not nearly as bad as you make him ou to be...or the team for that matter.

I dont think he stinks. He's decent. Decent enough to catch 80 passes for a thousand yards with a decent QB. ;-)

He's not nearly as bad as you make him ou to be...or the team for that matter.

well hopefully this is the year Santa gives us that elite QB

Completely agree with this...

Graham is a physical freak in a sport of physical freaks, but no way Keller doesn't hit 1,000 with Brees in that offense.

Man, Holmes and Keller have left the world of overrated this offseason. I shudder to think what it would be like if this team actually had a losing season last year and didn't fall apart to .500.

Its pretty obvious that Graham outshined every other TE Brees played with by a huge margin so why didnt Brees put up those huge numbers with other TE's Must be that Graham is a pretty damn good talent go figure. Dosent hurt to have a boatload of skill players out of the backfield and at WR either I guess. I mean we all know the Jets have such talents as Sproles, Thomas, ingram, Colston, Henderson, Moore, Graham and Meecham Yep our guys last year were in that class ....

Yeah, who'd ever heard of Drew Brees before this season?

Sparano is either going to turn Keller into an H-back or he's going to bench him altogether. So, yeah, let's pay him like a top TE even though he's the antithesis to the type of player your OC wants at TE.

No way he's getting anywhere close to benched. Even if he's not what Sparano wants at TE, he's still a hell of a lot closer to what Sparano wants at TE than Cumberland, Baker or rugby boy.

No way he's getting anywhere close to benched. Even if he's not what Sparano wants at TE, he's still a hell of a lot closer to what Sparano wants at TE than Cumberland, Baker or rugby boy.

My hope (as it's been since we drafted him) is that he gets split out and used exclusively as a receiver in the Dallas Clark mold. I'm not sure Sparano even uses that sort of player in his offense, but if he's coming here thinking that Keller is going to be a try-hard blocker like an Anthony Fasano, he's going to be sorely disappointed. Then again, I don't think Sparano will be as stubborn as Schottenheimer was and he'll adjust more to his available talent. Keller's been wasted as an in-line TE, IMO.

My hope (as it's been since we drafted him) is that he gets split out and used exclusively as a receiver in the Dallas Clark mold. I'm not sure Sparano even uses that sort of player in his offense, but if he's coming here thinking that Keller is going to be a try-hard blocker like an Anthony Fasano, he's going to be sorely disappointed. Then again, I don't think Sparano will be as stubborn as Schottenheimer was and he'll adjust more to his available talent. Keller's been wasted as an in-line TE, IMO.

It would be nice to see him line up next to the Tackle, then split out wide. Instead the motion we saw with Schotty was an empty backfield and then the RB goes in motion to the backfield.

What is the point?

The Schotty wounds have not healed yet.

This is so true. Watching the Jets offense and then watching the Giants offense this year, it was like they were playing different sports.

Someone said to us on Twitter today that the Jets need to focus on Touchdowns and Sacks.

I thought it was interesting. The lack of explosiveness on this team is painful.

Like the Giants and Victor Cruz? Those teams sure are lucky to pick guys up to help their QB's be good elite.

Archived