Jets hit snags on free agents- trade dead?

Mean Papi Green

Jets hit snags on free agents

Friday, March 11, 2005

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

Jeb is not coming to the Jets after all. Jay may not be on his way, either.

All talk is off between the Jets and the Denver Broncos over tight end Jeb Putzier after the Broncos decided Thursday, a day ahead of their deadline, to match the Jets' five-year, $12.5 million offer sheet including a $2.5 million signing bonus to retain Putzier, their little-known downfield receiving threat.

Jay Fiedler, on the other hand, concluded his visit with the Jets in the afternoon, then seemed close to an agreement Thursday night to become a backup to quarterback Chad Pennington. But some "complicated issues" prevented the sides from closing a deal.

The Jets like Putzier, who averaged 15.9 yards per catch for Denver last year. But even though the teams continued talking about a trade after Denver's match, the gulf was too wide.

The Broncos were rumored to be asking for as high as a second-round pick, while the Jets were believed to be offering a fourth- or fifth-rounder in addition to the sixth-rounder they would have given up if the Broncos hadn't matched.

Although the sides could restart negotiations (as the Jets did with the Redskins in the Santana Moss for Laveranues Coles trade), now salary cap issues come into play. Jets general manager Terry Bradway called Putzier and his agent, Joe Linta, Thursday night and told them talks were off.

And a Jets source said of new negotiations: "Yeah, we could do that, but realistically, you've got to go get somebody. You can't wait."

"I'm happy we got a deal done that pays Jeb fair-market value," Linta said. "I would've liked to see him with the Jets. I'm happy he's going back to Denver."

The Jets remain thin at tight end with restricted free agent Chris Baker and long-snapper James Dearth. They could bring in veteran unrestricted tight end Stephen Alexander for a visit or wait for the draft to fill that need.

They may also consider re-signing Anthony Becht at a cap-friendly figure. Becht is not receiving the attention he expected in the unrestricted free agency marketplace. Said one NFL source, "His price is going down like Martha Stewart stock."

At least the Jets remain in the QB hunt with Fiedler, who visited the Bears before coming to the Jets. Even though sources in Chicago and New York felt Fiedler was leaning toward signing with the Jets, agent Brian Levy said Thursday night that talks were proceeding slowly.

"There are some complicated issues," Levy said. "Suffice it to say this will be resolved one way or another [today]."

They may also consider re-signing Anthony Becht at a cap-friendly figure. Becht is not receiving the attention he expected in the unrestricted free agency marketplace. Said one NFL source, "His price is going down like Martha Stewart stock."

That actually is a funny quote-I would say more like the value of Enron's stock is more like it though.

i thought he signed with the giants???

That actually is a funny quote-I would say more like the value of Enron's stock is more like it though.

Archived