All Sanchez needs is time

yuvabuv

In all honesty, I really do think all Mark Sanchez needs to succeed is more time to play. He could still have the ability to be "elite." He has very similar numbers to Eli at the 3 year mark in his career. We have seen that Mark has the winning mentality, he really just needs more time to progress. I hope the Jets don't shoot themselves in the foot and isn't too impatient, because some guys just need that extra year or two to take it to the next level.

How can he get better if every year since he's got here we've downgraded our O-line and keep changing our recievers? There was serious progress in his second year between him and Braylon and then we switched it up again.

People can say what they want about him but you are absolutely right. I don't know how we expect him to be anything special when we keep switching the pieces on him. Then on top of it we go and get a slew of lazy punks for him last season. It's really quite ridiculous.

How can he get better if every year since he's got here we've downgraded our O-line and keep changing our recievers? There was serious progress in his second year between him and Braylon and then we switched it up again.

You are right about the O-Line. I mean we only had 3 pro-bowlers on the line this year. Most elite quarterbacks have a minimum of 5 pro-bowlers on the line. Also correct on the continuity with receivers. That clearly caused Mark to throw repeated interceptions to D-Linemen.

I like Mark and I still think he could be a good QB, but the excuses are getting out of hand...

In all honesty, I really do think all Mark Sanchez needs to succeed is more time to play. He could still have the ability to be "elite." He has very similar numbers to Eli at the 3 year mark in his career. We have seen that Mark has the winning mentality, he really just needs more time to progress. I hope the Jets don't shoot themselves in the foot and isn't too impatient, because some guys just need that extra year or two to take it to the next level.

Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Jason Campbell, David Carr all those guys, I know, I know.

Isnt that fine looking sandwich in your avatar the "Tebow?"

I don't know if he needs more time, but I agree that he does deserve more time. O-Line injuries notwithstanding, I truly believe that Brian Schottenheimer's system was not suited for quarterback progression and development. All of the pass plays that the Jets used for the past three seasons were exactly the same. The receivers ran long post routets, while the RB (Tomlinson and Greene, who can't catch) and the TE would split wide are stand just ahead of the LOS for zero-yard dump passes. When teams figured out what the Jets were doing (and they pretty much only needed one quarter to do so) and would simply cover the flats or go wide-zone, Sanchez looked like a deer caught in the headlights. In my opinion, when a quarterback is making the same exact mistakes in his third year as made in his rookie season (which Sanchez did), that's as much, if not more so, the coaches fault.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see if Sanchez really does excel in a system that utilizes his strengths. It will also be interesting to see how Tebow does and how he is used. Personally, I think Brad Smith's departure at the end of 2011 left the Jets with a bigger hole to fill than they realized. Tebow I believe will fill that hole. I wouldn't be surprised if they have him returning punts or KO's.

Let's see, I have been saying all along give the kid a break. Let's see what happens this year.

Archived