Jets Willing To Trade Up For Melvin Ingram

JetsFan220

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

If you missed it earlier, word from around the league is that the #Jets are going to be willing to trade up and select Melvin Ingram.

I hope this is NOT true, we finally have a ton of picks and should use them to bring in good young talent.

We don't have a ton of picks that can be traded. The 4 compensatory picks cannot be dealt.

I can understand telling a few teams you'd be willing to trade up but I don't see the logic in naming the player you want to take? Does that sound normal to guys who follow the draft way more than I do?

We were just talking about this on a Draft site. I guess now a days maybe it just doesn't matter anymore. With so much reporting and tweeting and so on nothing is really secret anymore. I dunno. I agree with the concern though.

We were just talking about this on a Draft site. I guess now a days maybe it just doesn't matter anymore. With so much reporting and tweeting and so on nothing is really secret anymore. I dunno. I agree with the concern though.

Thanks for clearing nothing up.

I kid....

All fans want a pass rusher who can bring legitimate pressure without the need to blitz, but I see two problems with this. One, pass rushers are so highly valued that unless the Jets land in the top 5-10 picks, they'll have to get lucky to find that guy. Everybody else is going to have warts. And two, I don't think that's what Ryan and Pettine want out of their OLB's. I suspect that they want a guy who they can move around, use in coverage, and blitz. Ability to hold up against the run is a must too. But I think they're looking for chess pieces more than that dominant pass rusher whether fans like it or not, and Ingram fits that mold better than anyone else in this draft.

As for the idea of trading up for Ingram, I'm not a huge fan of trading up but there are some scenarios I'd be okay with. For example, if the Jets wanted to move up to 12 they could probably trade 16 and 47 for 12 and Seattle's third round pick. In that case at least you're not losing a pick and still have two selections on day 2, so that wouldn't be too bad.

Completely agree. You forgot his arm length too i think he's 29 and 7/8, thats concerning

31.5 according to NFL.com. They got their numbers from the combine, so should be accurate. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/melvin-ingram?id=2532870

Still short, but only an inch or two shorter than his competition. Besides, he makes up for it with quickness, strength, and vertical leaping ability. I would agree that arm length could be an issue if he were playing DE in a 4-3 D, but it means little for the "joker" type role he would play for the Jets.

Isn't he basiclly a Maybin clone?

Long answer:

Maybin is taller (6'4" vs 6'1"), but he is a tad slower (4.88 vs 4.79), and much lighter (228 vs. 264). What stands out to me is that we all know Maybin is very quick off the edge (4.38 20yd Shuttle/7.52 3-cone), but Ingram might be one of the beast ever at getting around the edge at his weight (4.18 20yd Shuttle/6.83 3-cone). Also, Maybin can't play the run and has yet to prove he can drop back into coverage, while Ingram excels at both.

Short answer:

Hell no!

Long answer:

Maybin is taller (6'4" vs 6'1"), but he is a tad slower (4.88 vs 4.79), and much lighter (228 vs. 264). What stands out to me is that we all know Maybin is very quick off the edge (4.38 20yd Shuttle/7.52 3-cone), but Ingram might be one of the beast ever at getting around the edge at his weight (4.18 20yd Shuttle/6.83 3-cone). Also, Maybin can't play the run and has yet to prove he can drop back into coverage, while Ingram excels at both.

Short answer:

Hell no!

Allll Righty Then

The fact is that the Jets have so many holes, and so little depth, largely because of their propensity for trading away picks ever since Parcells left. It's time to start reversing that trend. Stay put or move down. Collect value at every pick. With so many needs, it's nearly impossible to not fill a need by simply going BAP for the entire draft. For the next few years.

• Upvote 1

my problem with trading up for Melvin Ingram, is how high do they have to go? What team absolutely is gonna swipe him before 16? if it's Jacksonville at 7... well that's really a high price to get up to 6. the other team AZ at 13 could be interested. the price to get from 16 to 12 shouldn't be that much... But really they could just sit tight and see if he makes it down... he could. it's far from impossible. Ingram in fact might be a reach before 16.

my problem with trading up for Melvin Ingram, is how high do they have to go? What team absolutely is gonna swipe him before 16? if it's Jacksonville at 7... well that's really a high price to get up to 6. the other team AZ at 13 could be interested. the price to get from 16 to 12 shouldn't be that much... But really they could just sit tight and see if he makes it down... he could. it's far from impossible. Ingram in fact might be a reach before 16.

I don't think he is a reach for any team that would be legitimately interested in him. Of course he would be a reach if he went in the top 5, but after that, he is decent to good value. I agree with everything else you said, especially given the talent level at OLB in this year's draft.

let me also add if the Jets were to trade up to 6 (in front of Jacksonville) that means a top 6 prospect would be there. Assume Luck and Rg3 are gone that means 1 out of Kalil, TR, Claiborne or Blackmon would be there, and all are higher rated than Ingram.

in other words I could see them trading up for Blackmon or Richardson but not for Ingram.

let me also add if the Jets were to trade up to 6 (in front of Jacksonville) that means a top 6 prospect would be there. Assume Luck and Rg3 are gone that means 1 out of Kalil, TR, Claiborne or Blackmon would be there, and all are higher rated than Ingram.

in other words I could see them trading up for Blackmon or Richardson but not for Ingram.

I agree trading up to 6 wouldn't make sense, trading up to 12 wouldn't be too bad though depending on what the deal was. Standing pat could be alright though I agree. One of the many issues with leaks like this is that if somebody behind the Jets wants Ingram they can try to move ahead of them to grab him, which almost forces the Jets' hand in terms of moving up.

31.5 according to NFL.com. They got their numbers from the combine, so should be accurate. http://www.nfl.com/d...gram?id=2532870

Still short, but only an inch or two shorter than his competition. Besides, he makes up for it with quickness, strength, and vertical leaping ability. I would agree that arm length could be an issue if he were playing DE in a 4-3 D, but it means little for the "joker" type role he would play for the Jets.

Ohh alright 31.5 for a OLB isnt bad he'd play the same role as Matthews for Green Bay and Matthews' arms are only an inch bigger. If he can stop the run and drop back in coverage a little, I might be okay with trading up for him.

Edit: Btw I think that if the Jets really are zeroing in on Ingram then he'll be a Jet.

Edited by RyanBe_Tweetin

This would be interesting. Ingram is a good talent. Kinda sorta worried that he's short with no length, but he's a slippery, stout, and athletic player. Really solid moving skills...

Actually think there's a small shot he just falls to 16 naturally...definitely don't see a trade into the top ten.i If he hits ten then I think they start looking to make a move. Not really worried about the Jaguars taking him...

Edited by SenorGato

This would be interesting. Ingram is a good talent. Kinda sorta worried that he's short with no length, but he's a slippery, stout, and athletic player. Really solid moving skills...

Actually think there's a small shot he just falls to 16 naturally...definitely don't see a trade into the top ten.i If he hits ten then I think they start looking to make a move. Not really worried about the Jaguars taking him...

Yeah I agree about the risks involved in taking him and where the potential trades would be. If he's their guy out of all of the conversion prospects and they wouldn't be happy with Perry, Mercilus, or Upshaw than I could dig moving up around 4 spots just to make sure they get him.

My real question is what happens if they stand pat at 16 and the board falls something like:

1. Luck

2. RGIII

3. Kalil

4. Richardson

5. Claiborne

6. Blackmon

7. Floyd

8. Tannehill

9. Coples

10. Glenn

11. DeCastro

12. Kuechly

13. Ingram

14. Barron

15. Cox

And they don't like Upshaw as rumored. I don't even think this is an unrealistic scenario, but then who's the pick? Don't think they'd take any of the offensive linemen. Do they say screw needs and we'll draft Poe/Brockers because they like the value? Kirkpatrick either as a corner or to convert him to safety? Decide they like Mercilus/Hightower/Perry/Branch as an OLB even though that might be a bit of a reach? Reach for Randle or Hill at WR? I'm not really sure what the move is there.

• Thumb Down 1

This time of year there are two types of individuals working as GM's around the league, liars and damn liars. This could just as easily be a smoke screen to get someone to jump up and take him so the person they want drops to them. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to justify rumors at this point. Some will end up being true, but figuring out which ones is anyone's guess with all the misinformation going around.

This time of year there are two types of individuals working as GM's around the league, liars and damn liars. This could just as easily be a smoke screen to get someone to jump up and take him so the person they want drops to them. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to justify rumors at this point. Some will end up being true, but figuring out which ones is anyone's guess with all the misinformation going around.

I definitely agree with you for the most part. Jets stuff always seems to leak out, though.

One thing I wiould love to see is if Tannenhill drops to 16 and maybe the Browns would jump at a chance to move up for him. Maybe we could get a few more picks out of this draft and still get a starter at 22 like Barron or anyone else from Alabama.