Jets Willing To Trade Up For Melvin Ingram

JetsFan220

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I wiould love to see is if Tannenhill drops to 16 and maybe the Browns would jump at a chance to move up for him. Maybe we could get a few more picks out of this draft and still get a starter at 22 like Barron or anyone else from Alabama.

Unlikely, but if DeCastro drops and the Jets don't want to take him (given they're solid at guard) or a WR the Jets aren't interested in drops then maybe Cleveland would be interested in moving up. Both spots are needs for the Browns (assuming they don't take Blackmon at 4) and their division rival the Bengals, who conveniently for the Jets have the 17th pick. Not sure if Cleveland would reach for Doug Martin at 16 either, but they and Cincinnati are both rumored to really like him as well. A trade with the Browns could actually work out really well for the Jets, they could trade picks #16 and #47 to the Browns for pick #22 and pick #37 I believe, plus the Browns 4th round pick. That deal still favors Cleveland on the value chart, so the Jets may be able to grab another late round pick from them as well.

Come to think of it, in the past it's been obvious who the Bengals like and teams can leapfrog ahead of them to take their guy. For instance a few years ago the Bengals really liked Sedrick Ellis and Derrick Harvey - the Saints moved up two spots ahead of them to take Ellis and then the Jags traded up one spot ahead of them to take Harvey. If something similar happens this year the Jets could benefit, particularly given their divisional rival Browns have their second #1 pick after both of the Bengals' #1 picks.

All of that said, the Jets would have to want to move down for that to happen, and that seems unlikely. But still if they could pull off that trade with the Browns that I mentioned earlier and pull in something like Andre Branch (or maybe Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus) and Rueben Randle (or maybe Alshon Jeffery) along with getting a 4th round pick again that would be really solid move in my book.

my problem with trading up for Melvin Ingram, is how high do they have to go? What team absolutely is gonna swipe him before 16? if it's Jacksonville at 7... well that's really a high price to get up to 6. the other team AZ at 13 could be interested. the price to get from 16 to 12 shouldn't be that much... But really they could just sit tight and see if he makes it down... he could. it's far from impossible. Ingram in fact might be a reach before 16.

And that is exactly what they will do. Wait and hope, which is also the best plan

No workout warriors, give me someone that has a track record of performing against upper echelon teams. don't trade up unless it's for someone that meets these requirments. I'd really like to stay put and draft the best player available, we need some impact players AND depth.

once again you draft for depth he will not make a huge impact this year i say trade to 20 get hightower and a extra 3rd great players will be there in the 2nd, playes that will become very good we cant give away pics for a player that had a good one year in school please did we gorget about vernon the guy had a great year and was built like a bull but a player that is out of the nfl and never got a sack . teams will not let anyone know who they want to draft we have way too many needs to just give picks away for a one year wonder

FWIW

Incarcerated Bob @incarceratedbob

**UPDATED NFL NEWS**Source: Jets are exploring possibilities of moving UP in draft. Talks with KC & Seahawks ongoing, heated up last night

By the value chart, it will cost at least a 3rd to move up to that point. I don't see it. The Cowboys at 14 are the team I could see taking him if he gets by the Jags at 6.

i could see them moving up to KC or SEA if for no other reason than the players KC and SEA want aren't worth the 11 and 12 picks.

and i said this in the pre-tebow discussions but a 3rd rounder is chump change. it's the boar hunter or BJ askew. for whatever reason the Jets bone their 3rd round pick almost every year.

i could see them moving up to KC or SEA if for no other reason than the players KC and SEA want aren't worth the 11 and 12 picks.

and i said this in the pre-tebow discussions but a 3rd rounder is chump change. it's the boar hunter or BJ askew. for whatever reason the Jets bone their 3rd round pick almost every year.

I watch all the SEC games, Ingram has never stood out to me like Upshaw has. Clowney is the real deal at USC, Ingram not so much

I watch all the SEC games, Ingram has never stood out to me like Upshaw has. Clowney is the real deal at USC, Ingram not so much

you know that I love upshaw but the workouts sucked for him and the jets didn't even bring him in for a visit. dont get me wrong i like upshaw too probably as much as ingram or more but the writing is on the wall, the Jets seem to value ingram way more. I think they are about equal. Ingram is a better athlete and Upshaw is a better overall football player.

as for clowney that's like saying von miller is better than mo wilkerson. no sh*t but he's got top 5 measureables.

you know that I love upshaw but the workouts sucked for him and the jets didn't even bring him in for a visit. dont get me wrong i like upshaw too probably as much as ingram or more but the writing is on the wall, the Jets seem to value ingram way more. I think they are about equal. Ingram is a better athlete and Upshaw is a better overall football player.

as for clowney that's like saying von miller is better than mo wilkerson. no sh*t but he's got top 5 measureables.

I could care less about workouts, watch the game tapes. As long as Upshaw is not a Pathole i will be happy.

I could care less about workouts, watch the game tapes. As long as Upshaw is not a Pathole i will be happy.

lets not sell ingram short. he had 3 defensive td last year. the dude always makes plays. he probably has more sack potential than upshaw.

I see Upshaw as the Terrel Suggs of this draft. Everyone picks at what he isn't instead of embracing what he is. Once they suit up and put the pads on, you realize what a great football player you have. Rex was around for the Suggs pick, I see him taking the football player, again. Remember, Rex saw Gholston as a work out wonder when he was with the Ravens. I think he values football over measurables.

I see Upshaw as the Terrel Suggs of this draft. Everyone picks at what he isn't instead of embracing what he is. Once they suit up and put the pads on, you realize what a great football player you have. Rex was around for the Suggs pick, I see him taking the football player, again. Remember, Rex saw Gholston as a work out wonder when he was with the Ravens. I think he values football over measurables.

Suggs was dominant at ASU. I wouldnt put Upshaw on that level.

By the value chart, it will cost at least a 3rd to move up to that point. I don't see it. The Cowboys at 14 are the team I could see taking him if he gets by the Jags at 6.

Jets could trade up without losing a pick, their 16 and 47 for 12 and the Seahawks' third round pick matches up pretty well on the value chart. There are creative ways to move up without necessarily losing depth.

its only two weeks away!

as for ingram vs upshaw the difference is that upshaw does things that aren't headline grabbers. he will shed blocks and make a tackle. he will hustle, he will set the edge. Ingram makes defensive touchdowns and interceptions and all sorts of crazy sportscenter plays. I could very well see an outcome where the team takes Upshaw, he does his reliable but not flashy thing and everyone says it's a failure cause he's not a sack master. People still bash Bryan Thomas for not being a sack master. Upshaw is basically another Bryan Thomas, without the risk of standing him up from DE to OLB. Ingram also has less risk (was a high school LB) but there's more of a chance he makes game changing plays (and thus, lives up to first round billing).

Can't wait for the draft to get here.

I'm pretty ambivalent, myself. Once they kept Holmes and extended Sanchez, they pretty much told us that they're riding this hog until its tongue hangs out. The Tebow trade just accelerates the tongue part.

im a big upshaw supporter and he wasn't quite as dominant. suggs had 44 career sacks at ASU. Upshaw had 17 at Bama. I believe suggs still holds the ncaa single season sack record with 24.

No sh*t? I thought Suggs only played 2 seasons and only racked up like 20 sacks combined. I was seriously asking and not being a smart a$$. And I thought Upshaw has had 2 straight seasons with 15+ sacks. Thats pretty dominate. Maybe I read wrong. I was going off the top of my head. Going to research now.

i use ncaa stats which are official

but any way Ingram had 19

http://web1.ncaa.org...rg=648&player=6

Upshaw had 17

http://web1.ncaa.org...org=8&player=41

both have interesting other stats (Upshaw for example had 18 Qb hurries. Ingram had more ints and tds)

the suggs stats are from his wikipedia. ncaa did not keep sack stats online in 2002 (so they might be inflated)

edit I found the NCAA record book, check page 15

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2011/FBS.pdf

as I've said before I'd be happy with either player... i dont see that much of a difference...but without Upshaw visiting the Jets (or at least without the public knowing about such a visit) it's tough to mock him there at 16.

im a big upshaw supporter and he wasn't quite as dominant. suggs had 44 career sacks at ASU. Upshaw had 17 at Bama. I believe suggs still holds the ncaa single season sack record with 24.

Looked it up. Suggs was a beast. 44 in 2 years of play. Sick.

Upshaw had 17

both have interesting other stats (Upshaw for example had 18 Qb hurries. Ingram had more ints and tds)

the suggs stats are from his wikipedia. ncaa did not keep sack stats online in 2002 (so they might be inflated)

as I've said before I'd be happy with either player... i dont see that much of a difference...but without Upshaw visiting the Jets (or at least without the public knowing about such a visit) it's tough to mock him there at 16.

Nice...I was way off. Thanks for posting.

Upshaw had 17

edit I found the NCAA record book, check page 15

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...ds/2011/FBS.pdf

So who do you see as the better pass rusher?

Archived