Jets Willing To Trade Up For Melvin Ingram

JetsFan220

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The comparison I made between Suggs and Upshaw wasn't that they were necessarily play alikes, they were both very productive college players that got picked apart during the combine process because they didn't post the numbers that some other people did. As a result, Suggs was drafted later than expected and Upshaw will probably fall at least into the middle teens. I wasn't saying they had identical sack numbers.

Looked it up. Suggs was a beast. 44 in 2 years of play. Sick.

Hilariously dropped to ten because he ran a 4.8.

I dont see either Upshaw or Ingram as impact pass rushers. That sad, Ingram is a significantly better mover and will be more of a factor against the modern (passing) offense. Upshaw might be the next Bryan Thomas against the run and being an OK pass rusher, but Thomas was a significantly better athlete and actually had some abilities in coverage. Not sure the same can be said about Courtney Upshaw.

its only two weeks away!

as for ingram vs upshaw the difference is that upshaw does things that aren't headline grabbers. he will shed blocks and make a tackle. he will hustle, he will set the edge. Ingram makes defensive touchdowns and interceptions and all sorts of crazy sportscenter plays. I could very well see an outcome where the team takes Upshaw, he does his reliable but not flashy thing and everyone says it's a failure cause he's not a sack master. People still bash Bryan Thomas for not being a sack master. Upshaw is basically another Bryan Thomas, without the risk of standing him up from DE to OLB. Ingram also has less risk (was a high school LB) but there's more of a chance he makes game changing plays (and thus, lives up to first round billing).

That is the most non committal stance of favoring one player vs another I have ever read. So Upshaw will be the better player but the stats and highlights will say otherwise...so even if Ingram is leading the league in sacks and making Pro Bowls and Upshaw is doing his best DeVito impersonation you can say I told ya so??

That is the most non committal stance of favoring one player vs another I have ever read.

I like em both. Keep in mind i got on a plane, flew to alabama, and saw them both in person. It was kind of a pain in the a$$ to do that but i wanted to see them with my own eyes and make my own opinions. Honestly, on the field, I thought upshaw was better. I thought they were both real good. I thought Coples was better than both. I don't know how to put it other than that... meanwhile i saw Shea McClellin do absolutely nothing for a week. The dude didn't make a single play or couldn't even get off a block. Now he's a borderline rd1 cause he worked out well. I see a huge gap between Upshaw and Shea. I see a tiny gap between Ingram and Upshaw... just going on gut instinct.

Hilariously dropped to ten because he ran a 4.8.

I dont see either Upshaw or Ingram as impact pass rushers. That sad, Ingram is a significantly better mover and will be more of a factor against the modern (passing) offense. Upshaw might be the next Bryan Thomas against the run and being an OK pass rusher, but Thomas was a significantly better athlete and actually had some abilities in coverage. Not sure the same can be said about Courtney Upshaw.

That's not a small thing either. People weren't happy with Thomas, and I'm not sure Upshaw's upside is even being as good as Thomas.

I like em both. Keep in mind i got on a plane, flew to alabama, and saw them both in person. It was kind of a pain in the a$$ to do that but i wanted to see them with my own eyes and make my own opinions. Honestly, on the field, I thought upshaw was better. I thought they were both real good. I thought Coples was better than both. I don't know how to put it other than that... meanwhile i saw Shea McClellin do absolutely nothing for a week. The dude didn't make a single play or couldn't even get off a block. Now he's a borderline rd1 cause he worked out well. I see a huge gap between Upshaw and Shea. I see a tiny gap between Ingram and Upshaw... just going on gut instinct.

This is really the first I've heard anything negative about McClellin from the Senior Bowl.

http://www.nfl.com/s...ut-in-backfield

" Boise State DE Shea McClellin is drawing comparisons to Senior Bowl alum Brooks Reed from scouts in attendance. An AFC South personnel man spoke at length about the similarities between their respective games and how McClellin could make an immediate impact as a situational pass rusher. He went on to suggest that he is one of the toughest players on either squad, and his superb intangibles will help him enjoy a long career as a starter. When I look at his game, I see a high-motor pass rusher with sneaky explosiveness and burst. He surprises blockers with his "get off" and his relentlessness makes him difficult to contain."

http://voices.idahos...e_standouts_sen

“(McClellin) was great during the game but he was good during the week as well. He showed his versatility."

http://www.cbssports...-at-senior-bowl

"Sorry, but it is unfathomable that McClellin's play this week was unnoticed by the rest of the league."

"McClellin showed off his potential at his new position early on, demonstrating surprisingly quick feet and balance during bag drills. More important, he made some of the more impressive plays of the day during scrimmages."

"[McClellin] is doing a great job this week," Herron said. "Obviously he can move pretty well for a big guy and was right there on that play. He's playing well. I hope to get another shot against him tomorrow, though."

http://www.zimbio.com/Shea+McClellin

"Doug Martin, Shea McClellin were standouts at Senior Bowl."

http://www.draftinsi...t/blog/?paged=5

"Scouts were justifiably impressed by the play of Shea McClellinfrom Boise State. The college defensive end made the seamless transition to linebacker all week as we reported. Now scouts want to see how McClellin runs at the combine. The consensus the past few days is times in the low 4.7’s will secure McClellin a spot in the second day of the draft."

Mike Singletary (via Senior Bowl)

"Let me just say this, if [McClellin] wants to play D-line, he can play D-line. If he wants to play linebacker, he can play linebacker. He is the kind of guy that can fit either way. He's a guy that right now is about 255 pounds. He can pick up and go to 275 and go back to D-line or he can stay where he's at. He's got a lot of good stuff ahead of him because he's also a worker. You find a guy like him with his versatility and intangibles -- he's also a smart kid -- and he's going to be just fine at the next level."

If we are going with a pass rusher in the first round, Melvin Ingram is the guy I want. He is short, stocky, but simply a beast. Just watch some of the full game highlights of him on YouTube, his motor never stops, and he is constant looking like the biggest beast on a good South Carolina defense...Upshaw is a nice player, who will undoubtedly have a long and successful career, but I will take the pass rusher with the higher upside here.

If we are going with a pass rusher in the first round, Melvin Ingram is the guy I want. He is short, stocky, but simply a beast. Just watch some of the full game highlights of him on YouTube, his motor never stops, and he is constant looking like the biggest beast on a good South Carolina defense...Upshaw is a nice player, who will undoubtedly have a long and successful career, but I will take the pass rusher with the higher upside here.

If u watched USC games it was Clowney as the beast

If u watched USC games it was Clowney as the beast

Clowney was terrific on their D-Line, and he will be an outstanding pro one day as well, but there were several times that he was double teamed and found ways to make plays. Considering how much SEC offenses must have game planned to stop the two of them, I'd say that they are both pretty impressive. I also like the way he seems fluid in coverage. This guy is not a stiff, he is a terrific all around athlete.

That's not a small thing either. People weren't happy with Thomas, and I'm not sure Upshaw's upside is even being as good as Thomas.

Same exact thought here...He's a likeable player but I think he'd work best with the Patriots, Eagles, or Titans...I'd give football reasons why but I lack the confidence in my ability to articulate. They're all 4-3s though...throw the Lions in there.

Yeah I agree about the risks involved in taking him and where the potential trades would be. If he's their guy out of all of the conversion prospects and they wouldn't be happy with Perry, Mercilus, or Upshaw than I could dig moving up around 4 spots just to make sure they get him.

My real question is what happens if they stand pat at 16 and the board falls something like:

1. Luck

2. RGIII

3. Kalil

4. Richardson

5. Claiborne

6. Blackmon

7. Floyd

8. Tannehill

9. Coples

10. Glenn

11. DeCastro

12. Kuechly

13. Ingram

14. Barron

15. Cox

And they don't like Upshaw as rumored. I don't even think this is an unrealistic scenario, but then who's the pick? Don't think they'd take any of the offensive linemen. Do they say screw needs and we'll draft Poe/Brockers because they like the value? Kirkpatrick either as a corner or to convert him to safety? Decide they like Mercilus/Hightower/Perry/Branch as an OLB even though that might be a bit of a reach? Reach for Randle or Hill at WR? I'm not really sure what the move is there.

I think Rex will personally sprint up with Poe's name on the card. By 2014 or maybe even earlier the starting DL is Wilkerson - Ellis - Poe, and in 2012 I wouldn't be surprised to see giant DL inspired resurgences from both Pace and Scott. I actually think Poe would be a gift there...

I think Rex will personally sprint up with Poe's name on the card. By 2014 or maybe even earlier the starting DL is Wilkerson - Ellis - Poe, and in 2012 I wouldn't be surprised to see giant DL inspired resurgences from both Pace and Scott. I actually think Poe would be a gift there...

The Jets need to say no to Poe. Dude has bust written all over him.

We were just talking about this on a Draft site. I guess now a days maybe it just doesn't matter anymore. With so much reporting and tweeting and so on nothing is really secret anymore. I dunno. I agree with the concern though.

That's funny because I was thinking the same thing. Nothing's sacred. Talk about full disclosure.

This is really the first I've heard anything negative about McClellin from the Senior Bowl.

i can only report on what I saw. I can't report on what other people saw. From my perspective he didn't shed blocks and he didn't make any impact plays. Now granted, the senior bowl runs 4-3 systems and it can be hard for tweeners to shine on this stage. Lamarr Woodley for example was brutally bad in Mobile. But I didn't see anything special from Shea.

Derp as for your worst case scenario for the Jets, Poe would be a possibility as would either cornerback Gilmore or Dre Kirk. People will say they are stacked at Corner but seriously when has that ever stopped Rex Ryan? Cro is probably on the team for 2 more seasons... and they can always use more at that spot (a little publicized loss was Marquis Cole to the Pats, they don't really have a 4th CB right now).

or they could just suck it up and take Upshaw, who was the player that most made sense to the Jets 6 months ago when we first started looking at college players who fit the Jets needs.

Derp as for your worst case scenario for the Jets, Poe would be a possibility as would either cornerback Gilmore or Dre Kirk. People will say they are stacked at Corner but seriously when has that ever stopped Rex Ryan? Cro is probably on the team for 2 more seasons... and they can always use more at that spot (a little publicized loss was Marquis Cole to the Pats, they don't really have a 4th CB right now).

Rex stopped last year when they didn't bring in a 4th first round pick CB. Why would you use a first round pick on the 4th guy on the depth chart? I know Rex likes CBs but another high pick on CB because Cromartie might be gone in two years and we don't have a 4th right now is just sliiightly stoopid.

OTOH there's a whole other DB position they're actually short a starter at...but yeah let's just push that to the side because they're checking out Yeremiah Bell and Will Hill.

With Rex AND Dunbar on board? Totally worth the risk...Not like any of these guys are slam dunks anyway...Well...except Ingram and Barron...maybe Perry.

Yeah I agree, I'd take the gamble with this coaching staff.

And bit, if they take Kirkpatrick do you see him sticking at corner or moving to safety (now or eventually)?

After a lot of thought and debate during all this draft talk, I can finally say, Poe is the one guy I want nothing to do with in this draft. And I just dont see him being the pick. Pouha for 3 more years and Ellis is the future...with guys like DeVito, Ropati, and Dixon becoming true players, they are pretty stacked at DL. Really dont think we need to go that direction and if we do draft DL, I see it being later in this draft. Rex loves project DL players.

Cromartie might be gone in two years and we don't have a 4th right now is just sliiightly stoopid.

Besides Cro leaving, what about the talk of playing him at deep safety? and Kyle Wilson isn't a known commodity. it would be similar to the Giants drafting a pass rush DE every year. having more than one man to man press corner is essential to Rex's scheme. if there is an injury they would be screwed.

keep in mind im not saying they will definitely take a corner. but in that scenario they've missed on Ingram, Glenn, Barron and several other possibilities. (Gato you are arguing for a player that derp had going at 14. most of America has that same projection, fwiw)

Again It's not what i would do but in derps worst case those corners would have to be among the BAPs with Poe and Upshaw. Gilmore I feel might be a surprise top 10 pick to the Bills for example. hes rising.

Derp as for Dre he'd have to bottom out at corner before they moved him. Like Antrel Rolle. But he could be a free safety. Or they could play him in Cros spot and move cro to safety. it gives them options at a key position for their defense.

With Rex AND Dunbar on board? Totally worth the risk...Not like any of these guys are slam dunks anyway...Well...except Ingram and Barron...maybe Perry.

You raise a good point. But with this great D-Line coaching staff why can't they coach up Ellis to play the NT, thats what we drafted him for anyway right?

After a lot of thought and debate during all this draft talk, I can finally say, Poe is the one guy I want nothing to do with in this draft. And I just dont see him being the pick. Pouha for 3 more years and Ellis is the future...with guys like DeVito, Ropati, and Dixon becoming true players, they are pretty stacked at DL. Really dont think we need to go that direction and if we do draft DL, I see it being later in this draft. Rex loves project DL players.

Definitely agree with this. Wilkerson I think will prove to be much more the exception than the rule when it comes to the Jets drafting as long as Rex is around. I think it was just one instance where he was a guy the Jets really really liked and someone who they felt could step in from day one and allow them to let Ellis walk. Rex knows DL, there's zero question about that and that's already been evident in his time with the Jets, and I don't think it's an area he sees the need to necessarily throw a lot of high picks at. DL has to be this team's strongest unit and that's despite featuring a number of UDFAs and waiver pick-ups.

+1

Ropati and Dixon = Nobodies...they're alright but not talent you avoid real talent for. Last guy to put up the kind of numbers Poe put up was this Ngata fellow. No way Rex Ryan isn't drooling over a 6'4 350 guy who moves like that.

Ropati and Dixon = Nobodies...they're alright but not talent you avoid real talent for. Last guy to put up the kind of numbers Poe put up was this Ngata fellow. No way Rex Ryan isn't drooling over a 6'4 350 guy who moves like that.

Disagree. They both played really well last year. Dixon really started coming on strong toward the end of the season and Ropati was solid as well. They can roll out essentially 6 bodies, all can play multiple positions. You may be right that they shouldnt keep you from drafting a DL player, I just dont want to touch Poe. He screams workout warrior to me.

Disagree. They both played really well last year. Dixon really started coming on strong toward the end of the season and Ropati was solid as well. They can roll out essentially 6 bodies, all can play multiple positions. You may be right that they shouldnt keep you from drafting a DL player, I just dont want to touch Poe. He screams workout warrior to me.

Yeah but that much of a workout warrior? What else is he going to do in life then? Lift heavy boxes? Plus with this coaching staff?

Iunno if he wasn't 6'5 350 sure, but after that is pretty tough.

Archived