Sanchez, Holmes, and Keller working out in Orlando

Ryno the Jet

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/04/woody-johnson-on-tim-tebow-deal-jerseys-aren’t-really-our-main-line-of-business-our-mai

Tight end Dustin Keller tweeted on Tuesday that he's working out with Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. The Jets' trio is in Holmes' off-season training site in Orlando. NFL players Ike Taylor, William Gay, Tony Carter and Travis Johnson -- who work out with Holmes every off-season at the Tom Shaw Performance Center at ESPN's Wide World of Sports in Orlando -- are also part of the training group.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/04/jets_mark_sanchez_santonio_hol_1.html

Jets' Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes getting a jump on offseason work in Orlando

Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 10:22 PM     Updated: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 10:32 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Jets' Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes getting a jump on offseason work in Orlando

Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez are rebuilding chemistry with a week of workouts in Orlando.

The Jets assemble for the first time as a team next Monday, but down in Orlando, Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes are taking early steps toward a more successful 2012 season.

At the ESPN Wide World of Sports, where Holmes spends his offseasons with longtime trainer Tom Shaw, the quarterback and the receiver are spending the week training and throwing together along with Jets teammates Dustin Keller and Patrick Turner. Running back Joe McKnight may join the group later in the week.

Holmes extended the invite to Sanchez and his teammates, Shaw said by phone tonight -- a positive step toward rebuilding offensive chemistry after a disappointing 8-8 season marked by locker-room division. Teammates and coaches openly acknowledged a rift between Sanchez and Holmes last season, but the two met earlier this offseason in Florida and are moving forward on a positive note.

"I know for a fact Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez are close," Shaw said.

The players arrived Monday and will work out together all week, before heading up to New Jersey for the start of the offseason program. Today's session was for five hours, on the long side because Sanchez led a throwing session at the end. The Jets don't have their new playbooks from new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano yet, but Shaw said Sanchez was calling out routes and plays from his own notes -- possibly those notes he he took when he met with former Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington to learn Sparano's system.

"Mark was in charge, everyone was listening to his instructions," Shaw said. "Guys from other teams, too. (Titans running back) Chris Johnson, Larry Taylor, who used to be with the Jets. Once we finished the workout for the day, Sanchez took over. He was in charge of the whole offensive part. He is working hard, and he's doing everything he can to get better."

Shaw has a contingent of players from across the NFL who train with him, and the Jets offensive players will take advantage. Sanchez and his receivers will next throw against defenders including Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor and Cardinals cornerback William Gay, starting with one-on-one drills tomorrow and seven-on-seven work Thursday.

Shaw was impressed with Sanchez on and off the field. After the workout, Sanchez signed autographs for an assembled crowd of about 400, mainly high school athletes from across the country who are spending their spring break training together in Florida.

"He was like a rock star," Shaw said of Sanchez. "He's so young, but he's handling it so well. I know people say he needs to do a better job, and he does, but he's just a young kid."

Shaw said it wasn't until the group went to a wing house for dinner that he was reminded of how young Sanchez, 25, still is. He added: "I'm pretty impressed with Sanchez, I really am. I think he's someone the Jets are lucky to have."

The week in Orlando is also prime bonding time for the teammates, who plan to go on the rides at Disney World and Universal Studios -- after they take advantage of time on the football field together.

Rock Star

I'm surprised Holmes agreed to this rather then the normal Jets West. I assume sodomey is way more frowned upon in Florida then a libral state like California or a forum like this one. It just seems like an odd choice of location to continue building on the relationship he cultivated with Mark last year.

More good news:

Paulin reported that McKnight is a "solid" 215. Really curious as to what he can do after he looked good against Denver.

All this youth on offense over the past couple years...maybe some of these fers look to step up for God and team.

I hope they go on tower of terror together. There's just no way not to embrace eachother on that ride. Holmes head pressed against Sanchezes bosom as the tower speeds up and down.... There's no words that can describe what that will do for their relationship.

More good news:

Paulin reported that McKnight is a "solid" 215. Really curious as to what he can do after he looked good against Denver.

All this youth on offense over the past couple years...maybe some of these fers look to step up for God and team.

Dont forget Tebow.

Love this line from Florio...

"Regardless, the presence of Tim Tebow forces the two men to find a way to work better together. Otherwise, Sanchez will be standing on the sidelines, and Holmes will be trying to catch stones that are skipping across the surface of a pond."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/11/sanchez-santonio-working-out-in-florida/

Which is why you should crap on him while you can.

Practicing together is obviously a publicity ploy.

America loves drama. I love how this thread has been barely touched but anything with a negative spin goes 10 pages with all the doom and gloomers agreeing. Too funny

America loves drama. I love how this thread has been barely touched but anything with a negative spin goes 10 pages with all the doom and gloomers agreeing. Too funny

Maybe we can merge it with the Jets West thread because we all know that Jets West paid monster dividends.

Maybe we can merge it with the Jets West thread because we all know that Jets West paid monster dividends.

Exactly. Braylon, Smith and Cotchery obviously benefitted from the chemistry built in those Jets West workouts. It really was a tem-building experience for them. Until they got realeased for Mason, Paxico and Santonio's new mega-contract. Really solid work there by Tannenbum.

Yeah I would have loved to pay 15 million over 4 to a bit player like Smith. Sucks we missed on out that. Too bad we didn't replace with him with a cheaper, more talented, higher upside option or anything...Oh, that's riiiiight.

Same with Cotchery except that Kerley isn't so much higher upside as similar upside and a better fit in the slot.

Gosh Tannenbaum has no loyalty! Except when he does give out long term contracts to FAs they are stupid contracts!

This is not a ploy as some would have it. There is nothing wrong with training and working out with teammates (among others) during the off-season. Mark is smart to be using the offensive knowledge he gained from meeting with Chad. I also think the Holmes/Sanchez debate was over-exagerated - I'm sure they were over it sooner than later.

This is not a ploy as some would have it. There is nothing wrong with training and working out with teammates (among others) during the off-season. Mark is smart to be using the offensive knowledge he gained from meeting with Chad. I also think the Holmes/Sanchez debate was over-exagerated - I'm sure they were over it sooner than later.

Definitely not a ploy. Mark gets blasted as not being a good leader...I totally disagree. He seems to be doing the right things to make this situation better.

Do the results on the field need to improve for Mark? Hell yes...but with Schotty gone, I love hearing about these guys working to get on the same page.

Post image for Sanchez And Holmes Workout In Florida

As originally reported by the Star Ledger, wide receiver Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez have been working out in Florida, along with tight end Dustin Keller and wide receiver Patrick Turner. The Jets will begin organized voluntary workouts on April 16th, but Holmes and Sanchez have taken the initiative to begin early.

After the blowup on New Year’s Day, during which offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s last act was to bench Holmes for irritating his teammates to near violence with his lack of hustle, this is an encouraging sign. Jets fans have heard everything from star cornerback Darrelle Revis recently saying that the Jet locker room was in disarray to reports that the relationship between Sanchez and Holmes was irreparable.

Sanchez hasn’t spoken much about his relationship with Holmes except to say everyone was frustrated and the drama was overblown, and Holmes hasn’t spoken about the dysfunctional offense at all. While the “feud” between Sanchez and Holmes probably wasn’t as bad as it was made out to be, there’s no doubt that this past season ended on a sour note.

The news that Holmes and Sanchez are looking to salvage their relationship and work on their on-field and off-field chemistry is good, but it’s also necessary. Aside from just wanting to win and reclaim some dignity after last year’s dismal finish, there’s also more practical things to consider…like their paychecks beyond this season.

There’s also the Tim Tebow factor. Supposedly, the source of Holmes’ discontent this past season was the fact that he didn’t get the ball enough. Obviously Sanchez ending up on the bench would be devastating to Sanchez, but it would also probably have a negative impact for Holmes. If he didn’t think he was getting the ball enough when Sanchez was struggling, he’ll probably get the ball less if Tebow takes over as quarterback, judging by what we know of Tebow thus far.

Sanchez and Holmes have a vested interest in sparking their chemistry. Even if they’re not best friends off the field, it’d be beneficial to both to be the best possible team on it.

di
di

0M5uNIc7nV4

View the full article

Archived