Fletcher Cox, DE, Dwayne Allen TE

hotcoles87

I have spent the better part of my draft research on the Obvious needs-- S, OLB, T, but once I opened it up to DE, I realized that Fletcher Cox is a complete beast. He's 6-4, 298 with long, 34 1/2" arms, big 10 3/8" hands. Prototype 3-4 DE size.

He was very productive in college, and plays like an animal. Seems like a pretty good character guy too.

Then the guy blows up the combine.

He does 30 bench reps with those long arms.

Runs a 4.79 40 (1 100th of a second slower than Melvin Ingram)

Runs a 7.07 3 cone (over a 10th of a second faster than Mercilus or Branch, 2 10ths of a second faster than Nick Perry)

I would really llike to fix the S, OLB, T needs, but if he's on the board at 16, and Richardson, DeCastro and Ingram are all gone, I might just want to grab this guy.

Another player I like at a position we are not in dire need of is Dwayne Allen, TE. He's a very good blocking TE, and had a productive career catching the ball as well. Didn't do that well in the speed drills, but he's the best all around TE in the draft. I don't know about picking him with our second rounder, and I doubt he'd last into the third, but maybe we could drop back a few spots in the 2nd and try to scoop him up later in the round as a value pick.

Sparano would love this kid's ability to block. Assuming we don't take a WR early, I think he would reduce the urgency of picking a WR early. I'd love to run 2 TE sets with him, Keller, Santonio and Kerley/Schillens/Turner.

What do you all think?

Bit's right...ony reason Cox isn't talked about more here is that he might be a top ten pick and is almost certainly gone before 16. Guy's a beast.

Allen is good stuff as a reciever but I'm not sure of him as a blocker. Wouldn't be surprising if he is a good blocker though. Really underrated player...fluid pass catcher for a TE.

keuchly i suspect goes in the 17-23 area. if the eagles wanted him they dont trade for demeco ryans

Good point- I forgot about that trade. Either way, stranger things have happened in the draft than him falling to 16. The question is really, if he's by far the best on the board, do you take him despite the stronger need at other positions? Mike DeVito is a decent player, but is in the last year of his contract, and he's really just an average player. Great teams don't just draft for need, they draft for value. While DE does not seem pressing now, what happens if Devto Walks after next year? What if Pouha starts to slow down? What if Ellis never pans out? It could be a huge need by next years draft.

Anyway I just wanted to spice things up and talk about another player. I can't wait for this draft.

i really like Fletcher Cox. if he was the pick i'd have no problem with it. He is actually a great asset to get pressure on 3rd down.

another note about Keuchly is he's a BC defender. people in Philly still remember Mike Mamula. the fact that Keuchly had such a good combine, it kinda hurt his chances of being an Eagle. they don't want boston college linebacker in this town.

At TE I still like Ladarius Greene. He's a huge, athletic target with exceptional hands who can make the circus catch away from his body and bring down high throws with ease. He's If he had any kind of QB he'd have been a top 50 pick for sure.

As it stands, I think he's a major sleeper in the 4th/5th range.

at his pro day: 35" vertical, 4.53 in the 40, 17 reps @ 225, 7.12 cone, 10'-4" broad jump and most importantly, caught over 30 balls without a single drop. at 6'5" and 240lbs, he's got the frame to be a monster. his tape shows decent, but not dominant blocking. Better downfield blocker than at the LOS. i think with a year of NFL coaching and workouts, he could be special.

Archived