Chad offered to take pay cut to get Coles back......

Mean Papi Green

Chad opens his wallet for Coles

BY GARY MYERS

and RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

There are four words a professional athlete never utters: "Take my money ... please."

The Jets' Chad Pennington just changed that.

Pennington wanted so much to be reunited with wide receiver Laveranues Coles that, when early trade talks stalled because of Coles' contract demands, the quarterback approached the Jets and volunteered to take a $2 million pay cut, multiple sources told the Daily News yesterday. In effect, he was willing to pay Coles out of his own pocket.

In the end, Pennington and the Jets got their man, reacquiring Coles from the Redskins in exchange for wide receiver Santana Moss. The trade became official Wednesday, when Coles passed his physical and signed a new five-year, $25 million contract that includes a $5 million signing bonus.

Pennington's "donation" wasn't immediately necessary, but his proposal still was on the table as of yesterday. The Jets are strongly considering his offer because of the salary cap benefits, sources said, although it may not be addressed until the offseason slows in late spring.

The trade might have died if it weren't for Pennington's unprecedented gesture, sources said.

On Feb. 25, the Jets and Redskins agreed to the swap, but it got bogged down when Jets officials refused to yield to Coles' insistence on a new contract with a signing bonus. One source said the edict came from billionaire owner Woody Johnson, who didn't want to sweeten the pot.

Coles still had five years remaining on a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Redskins - the deal that lured him away from the Jets as a restricted free agent in 2003.

When Pennington got wind of the breakdown in talks, he acted unilaterally, presenting his give-back plan to the Jets, sources said. Some believe his initiative prompted the Jets to reopen the talks.

He told friends that he did it in the interest of winning, and that he felt Coles would be a tremendous addition. One of Pennington's concerns was that, if the trade had been executed without the new contract, it would've made Coles unhappy and a potential distraction.

Pennington couldn't be reached for comment.

Pennington and Coles, both drafted in 2000, became fast friends. In 2002, they were regarded as one of the up-and-coming quarterback/receiver tandems in the NFL. Pennington was almost distraught when Coles took the money and ran to Washington.

Financially, Pennington has the resources to take a pay cut. Before the '04 season, he signed a seven-year, $64 million contract extension. On March 31, he's due to receive $10 million - a deferred signing-bonus payment ($8 million) and a roster bonus ($2 million).

Still, when was the last time an athlete gave up money without being pressured?

"I've never heard of anything like this," one agent said. "It's bizarre."

In the NFL, it's commonplace for the highest-paid players to restructure their contracts to help the team create salary-cap room, but they never lose any money in the transaction. In most cases, their base salary is converted into a signing bonus. Players accept outright pay cuts only when they're being threatened with a pink slip.

Coles has told Pennington he doesn't want him to take a pay cut on his behalf, sources said.

Pennington's offer shows his unselfish, team-first approach, but he unwittingly may have opened a can of worms. That he felt compelled to step forward raises questions about management's commitment.

This may explain why Coles, speaking to reporters Wednesday night, was reluctant to discuss Pennington's involvement in the process.

"Any time you have a quarterback like Chad Pennington at the helm," Coles said, "who wouldn't want to come and play for him?"

Originally published on March 11, 2005

There's something different about this TEAM,am I the only one seeing it?Shaun Ellis re-structures to get the deal done and Chad offers to give up a couple of mil to do the same.

Herman Edwards as the"players coach" and the players as team first guys-all this bodes well IMO for a great season.Donnie Henderson last year,The Dinger this-I am seeing positive things positive steps being taken-I like what I'm seeing.

There's something different about this TEAM,am I the only one seeing it?Shaun Ellis re-structures to get the deal done and Chad offers to give up a couple of mil to do the same.

Herman Edwards as the"players coach" and the players as team first guys-all this bodes well IMO for a great season.Donnie Henderson last year,The Dinger this-I am seeing positive things positive steps being taken-I like what I'm seeing.

They are trying to be like the Patriots? :roll:

Opps, you still have Herm "Master Clock Strategist" Edwards at the helm. :lol:

[quote name='"

They are trying to be like the Patriots? :roll:

Opps, you still have Herm "Master Clock Strategist" Edwards at the helm. :lol:[/quote']

yes they are except one thing fish-there seems to be a bit more LOYALTY from our FO to the players here than up there.

As for Herman Edwards;there's something to be said for a guy who ADMITS he needs help with clock mgmt.Instead of I know all-I am omnipotent coaches who oh I don't know take a million dollars from a dead man and another who fails to do what he promised he's do(win it all)and then QUIT-any of those 2 guys sound familiar?

I don't know SFJ...have you been keeping up with the locals? Miami has been restructuring all over the place...about time we step up don't you think?

which sort of plays right into what I'm sayin Herm-the loyalty thing doing what you say sayin what you're gonna do-actually HONORING a contract.I'm seeing alot of disarray downj here with Saban and he's not exactly enamoring himself to the media.Another Mr.Personality guy just like Bellichek,who it is said he'll be just like.I like where WE are goin Herm

... may dinger take care of the clock issue's or dick curl w/o hackett interference ...

... i agree on the type of players/coaches/FO/interaction between them ... impressive ... they may or may not be able to get over the patriot hurdle, but it makes me feel good to see them making smart decision ...

keep it up TB

l_j_r

i think dinger will be in charge of the clock....keep dickie away from the clock..

... may dinger take care of the clock issue's or d!ck curl w/o hackett interference ...

... i agree on the type of players/coaches/FO/interaction between them ... impressive ... they may or may not be able to get over the patriot hurdle, but it makes me feel good to see them making smart decision ...

keep it up TB

l_j_r

Ellis did nothing to harm his wallet. He got paid the exact same amount as he was always going to get. All he did was agree to change the wording in his contract from 'roster bonus' to 'signing bonus' so that the Jets could spread the cap hit.

If anything this move benefits Ellis more than the Jets because it will make it more expensive to cut him in the future.

Which team has 3 titles inthe last 4 years?

There is a fine line between being loyal and stupid. Is Troy Brown worth a $5.5 million bonus? Yes and No. For his years of hard work and dedication? Yes. For his current value on the field? No. Ditto Phifer. Why keep a soon to be 37yo LB at $3 plus million when he was slowly being fazed out? Loyalty? Hell no. Even Ty Law, the best of the released/cut players realizes it is a business. $12 million for a very good CB? Maybe. $$12 million for a Cb that was replaced by Assante Samuelk and the team went 12-1 without? No.

The Jets will eventually swallow the pill that is Curtis Martin. Then they will realize that the adequate replacement for him is playing in Oakland. Again, there is a fine line between being loyal and sinkiing your team.

Chad Pennington's heart or desire can never be questioned.

This is a first in football. Most players restructure their deal to help out a team.

Pennington offered to give up his own money. Without it being transformed into a bonus or being installed later in the contract.

That just never happens. He just offered to give up money.

64 million dollars over 7 years is not a big deal for a young proven starting QB. That's market value. It's about 9 million a season.

Most Jets fans were worried that Pennington wouldn't get a new deal. They were scared of losing him.

Once he signed the contract, Now there is resentment towards him from Jets fans and Jets haters. Typical.

LaMont Jordan can be replaced, he already has been.

So you are saying, if Curtis was to go down and miss the entire season, you would want Derric Blaylock over Lamont Jordan?

I seriously doubt that.

Duane Starks has replaced Ty Law. It doe snot mean I am comfortbale with it.

Chad Pennington's heart or desire can never be questioned.

This is a first in football. Most players restructure their deal to help out a team.

Pennington offered to give up his own money. Without it being transformed into a bonus or being installed later in the contract.

That just never happens. He just offered to give up money.

64 million dollars over 7 years is not a big deal for a young proven starting QB. That's market value. It's about 9 million a season.

Most Jets fans were worried that Pennington wouldn't get a new deal. They were scared of losing him.

Once he signed the contract, Now there is resentment towards him from Jets fans and Jets haters. Typical.

I'm not seeing it from the Jets fans YJF I'm seeing ,smelling maybe fear in the Pats fans who are forever on whatever board we choose to go on ,why I don't know.I don't get it I really don't.Do these spend ANY time on their own teams'message boards?Somebody enlighten me.

It's amazing how much better a RB Lamont is in the eyes of our Patriot contingent now that he is no longer a Jet.

It is funny how much he sucks now that is gone according to the Jets contingent. Just like this guy Coles was supposedly going to suck in Washington. :roll:

Blaylock had two big games. He ran over the Falcons after Priest got them a 35-3 lead and then ran over the Saints. Take out those two games and he went 66 carries-263 yards for a whopping 3.98 ypc.

So you are saying, if Curtis was to go down and miss the entire season, you would want Derric Blaylock over Lamont Jordan?

I seriously doubt that.

Judging on pure talent alone, I would take Jordan over Blaylock every time.

However, the choice is Jordan for $27m or Blaylock for $11m. Considering the salary cap, I know which one I would rather have as my backup RB.

Judging on pure talent alone, I would take Jordan over Blaylock every time.

However, the choice is Jordan for $27m or Blaylock for $11m. Considering the salary cap, I know which one I would rather have as my backup RB.

True, but that goes back to the original point in the Lamont debate, why draft him in the first place if all you want is a back-up.

Every Jets fan knows that Lamont Jordan is a good back with the potential to be great.

Noone wanted to lose him and alot of Jets fans are still rooting for him even though he is now an Oakland Raider.

But if ya think, I am going to jump on the ungrateful bandwagon and bash Curtis Martin. You got another thing coming.

I am happy to be "stuck" with one of the best RB's in The NFL.

RB is not an issue for The Jets. They have a great feature back in Martin, a terrific FB in Sowell and a very good young big play backup in Derrick Blaylock.

You are not going to see me start crying anytime soon over that area of The Jets team.

i guess they drafted him to replace martin but who the hell wouldve thought curtis would still live on,...

True, but that goes back to the original point in the Lamont debate, why draft him in the first place if all you want is a back-up.

i guess they drafted him to replace martin but who the hell wouldve thought curtis would still live on,...

Good point.

The Jets have rolled the dice. If Curtis can still be productive, the loss will not be great, but if he starts to finally show his age, which is doubtful seeing his is some sort of freak, teh jets are going to be hard pressed to make that offense work with Blaylock.

It is funny how much he sucks now that is gone according to the Jets contingent. Just like this guy Coles was supposedly going to suck in Washington. :roll:

Blaylock had two big games. He ran over the Falcons after Priest got them a 35-3 lead and then ran over the Saints. Take out those two games and he went 66 carries-263 yards for a whopping 3.98 ypc.

Nah the majority of Jets fans always valued LJ.

Asserting that his loss is the biggest GM blunder of the off-season is simply not true.

While not a fan of your "take out " this or that to support your argument, I will take a 4.0 avg out of our back-up RB.

If Curtis Martin goes down, ideally I'd like somebody like Clinton Portis, Shaun Alexander or LaDainian Tomlinson but that isn't feasible. Blaylock is as good as a backup as you can get when have a starter of Curtis Martin's caliber.

Martin may be a cap casualty one day but not as long as he is the focal point of the offense.

As much as I love him, I'm sure his numbers will be down a little this season and not because of age/performace. I think the Jets will look to pass more = not necessarily a pass first team but certainly pass more often.

That's great that Pennington did that - HE GETS IT! Steve Young, John Elway and many others would go to the front office and restructure to help with the cap. That's what you have to do in salary cap era and that's why the Patriots won 3 of the last 4 SB's.

Heck, I'll take 4 ypc out of my backup to the bank anyday. Of course LaMont Jordan was a stud, and he will be missed dearly. But considering that he was way under-utilized, the running game still was pretty darn good. Jordan will probably be a top 10 RB, and of course I wish he could have been kept. However, it will take a bit more than our ''weakness'' at BACKUP RB to make me anything less than optimistic about the upcoming season.

And by the way, I seriously doubt we are done filling the void of Jordan. I have to believe Bradway will be drafting another RB, maybe in the 3rd-4th round (Ryan Moats??) to potentially be our future. As we all know well, temporary and even long-term solutions can be found at the RB position late in the draft. If Bradway finds himself a nice pickup there, I will have few qualms about the running game next season.

It's amazing how much better a RB Lamont is in the eyes of our Patriot contingent now that he is no longer a Jet.

Lj? try every guy who leaves....and did you notice how the Ex pats become trash when the get dumped by the HC?

Any patriot released in the last 2 years...take your pick, ole county bumpkin.

Gotta love the examples..... :roll:

We lost Woody, Washinton, Antowain and Hamilton last year. At least that is who I can think of. I doubt anyone bashed Woody, Washington or Hamilton. As for Antowain, if he was bashed it was in comparison to Corey Dillon who I knew would be great.

As for this years, I do not remember anyone bashing Troy, Roman, Patten or Joe. They might say they are not worth the prices they were due or fetched, but no one said Troy sucked. If anyone did, Garb would hunt us down and kill us.

Archived