4-14 Jets Mock

SenorGato

4/14 Jets mock

1: Cordy Glenn RT/OG Georgia - Not a top 2 LT as the talk peaked at, but one of the best OL prospects in this class. Some probably believe he's even a LT propsect, and his versatility along the OL is key. Fits the power style they probably want, has tons of experience, and can start right away. IMO the gap between he and DeCastro as a G prospect only exists because he's also a very intriguing T prospect. Ducasse is shifted inside to G.

2: Zach Brown LB - Multi skilled LB with real coverage potential.

3: DeMario Davis ILB/OLB/LB - Really active and possibly explosive LB who does a little of everything at LB.

5: Josh Bush DB Wake Forest - A favorite here and someone who fits in this secondary.

Send 187 and 232 to Cinci for whatever 32 is in the 5th.

5: Chase Ford TE Miami - Offense getting bigger from the inside out.

6: Junior Hemingway WR Michigan

6: Jarius Wright WR Arkansas

7: Greg McCoy CB/DB TCU

7: Drew Butler P Georgia

Post draft FAs: Braylon Edwards (team finally lands a bonafied #1 WR), Blair White WR, Brandon Bolden RB Ole Miss, Randy Bullock K, Aaron Corp QB, Donte Paige-Moss DE/OLB

Kind of eh on the first few rounds. Two ILB's? Not the biggest need. Coming out of day 2 with only 1 of the 4 biggest needs on the team addressed would hurt IMO. I think Davis could be had later also. Also, would be surprised if Wright slips to the sixth. I'd be thrilled with him in the fifth and if they still had a fourth I'd be pretty happy about being able to grab him there too. Cordy Glenn would be awesome though.

Kind of eh on the first few rounds. Two ILB's? Not the biggest need. Coming out of day 2 with only 1 of the 4 biggest needs on the team addressed would hurt IMO. I think Davis could be had later also. Also, would be surprised if Wright slips to the sixth. I'd be thrilled with him in the fifth and if they still had a fourth I'd be pretty happy about being able to grab him there too. Cordy Glenn would be awesome though.

Well theoretically they could both play OLB, particularly Davis with some bulk on him.

Brown doesn't fit this coaching staff, they clearly prefer big OLB's over small quick one. He would be better in a Tampa type defense.

Don't think Brown's problem is being undersized...Also see him as more of an ILB in this D. Listed him at LB because he's got some versatility in his game...a multi-scheme LB if he reaches his potential.

steiny from the jets blog had a comment on twitter that the Jets were asking their players to slim down this season, across the board. especially the OL. drafting a 340 pound cordy glenn doesn't really mesh with that logic.

Especially the OL? I thought it was DL and the LB? Wouldn't...Glenn also just slim down? Is April too late to lose weight?

Not that he's my favorite pick or anywhere near ideal, just playing devils advocate to this point.

Poe is the definition of workout wonder...please god no.

I actually am a Poe fan, but with the workout and the blue helmet, it's basically Drob all over again. (Drob was born in Memphis, Poe was as well and went to school there)

I actually am a Poe fan, but with the workout and the blue helmet, it's basically Drob all over again. (Drob was born in Memphis, Poe was as well and went to school there)

Why? Looks like he's in shape...never really put much on tape...sure a late round flyer but a first rounder...ugh...

steiny from the jets blog had a comment on twitter that the Jets were asking their players to slim down this season, across the board. especially the OL. drafting a 340 pound cordy glenn doesn't really mesh with that logic.

Doesn't that seem to go against the man-to-man blocking vs. zone blocking? I thought man to man wanted the size advantage. Could this have to do with the reduced workouts during the season? Guys used to "play themselves into shape". That may be less likely with the reduced schedules.

Greg Cosell called Poe a bust waitin to happen

greg cosell talks alot of junk. agree with about 25% of what he says.

i can understand why people would be leary of poe but you can't find guys who run 4.8 at 350. that's really rare

and for what it's worth, he's got 5 career sacks. that's 3 more than Brockers! big DT like that don't make a ton of plays. anyone drafting a DT and expecting him to be Warren Sapp is misguided. Even Ngata who is the gold standard at the position, averages about 3 sacks a year. what these guys do, doesn't always show up in the stats. if a DT is big and possible 10 sack a year player he's a top 5 pick like Suh.

greg cosell talks alot of junk. agree with about 25% of what he says.

i can understand why people would be leary of poe but you can't find guys who run 4.8 at 350. that's really rare

and for what it's worth, he's got 5 career sacks. that's 3 more than Brockers! big DT like that don't make a ton of plays. anyone drafting a DT and expecting him to be Warren Sapp is misguided. Even Ngata who is the gold standard at the position, averages about 3 sacks a year. what these guys do, doesn't always show up in the stats. if a DT is big and possible 10 sack a year player he's a top 5 pick like Suh.

Poe was not dominant in game film, for a guy with all his ability. Why teams are leary of him, could be vernon 2

Poe was not dominant in game film, for a guy with all his ability. Why teams are leary of him, could be vernon 2

Vernon GHolston is still the single season sack leader at Ohio State. Dontari Poe is not Vernon 2. Vernon had outstanding production, including 2 sacks in the same game running over future #1 overall pick Jake Long.

Vernon GHolston is still the single season sack leader at Ohio State. Dontari Poe is not Vernon 2. Vernon had outstanding production, including 2 sacks in the same game running over future #1 overall pick Jake Long.

I meant bust wise, vernon was clearly better player on tape in college.

Yeah the last thing we should be grabbing is huge guys who are great athletes...I mean 5 years ago that failed us that one time.

Glad you agree...scratch him from your board...doesn't remind me of Gholston at all...in fact Gholston was by far the better player in college...but he is really unaccomplished...there are more important attributes than size and speed...its how you play the game...Poe averaged one tackle per game in his career...nice...next thing someone will say...he clogs up the middle...so others can make plays...not sure what your expectation here...the guy was in shape yet played like Jane.

What do you think he'll turn into? Care to make a comparison...I say at the end of his career he compares to Jarron Gilbert...who would you compare him to?

In 2011, Poe started all 12 games on the defensive line this season, and has made 30 starts for the Tigers during his three-year career. He tallied 33 tackles, including 18 solo stops, and was third on the team in TFL with eight for minus 26 yards in 2011. Poe also posted a sack, three pass breakups, five quarterback hurries and one forced fumble.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1717351

I would compare him to Haloti Ngata.

Poe is the one guy on the Memphis D who didn't suck. Am I supposed to think those stats suck? He's a 350 pound DT he's not there to pile up the pretty numbers. We the people should like pretty numbers because we're not here to care about anything else, but coaches know what it takes to get those numbers. It takes guys like Poe, who does his job more often than not on tape, and does it moving like he's not 350 pounds.

Barron Gilbert? Baseeeed on...let me guess...you think Poe just popped up on everyone's radar because of his measurables? No, he's a well known prospect who's been on the radar for 3 years now.

Poe is the one guy on the Memphis D who didn't suck. Am I supposed to think those stats suck? He's a 350 pound DT he's not there to pile up the pretty numbers.

If didn't suck is your evidence I'm glad your not drafting for the Jets...thanks on the Ngata comparison...we'll return to this thread in three years or so...lol.

Poe is the one guy on the Memphis D who didn't suck. Am I supposed to think those stats suck? He's a 350 pound DT he's not there to pile up the pretty numbers. We the people should like pretty numbers because we're not here to care about anything else, but coaches know what it takes to get those numbers. It takes guys like Poe, who does his job more often than not on tape, and does it moving like he's not 350 pounds.

i agree with this and to repeat myself look at the stats on guys like Ngata, Wilfork, Dareus, Raji etc. for the most part they have no stats to speak of. These guys make the occasional big play but are really there to set the table.

If didn't suck is your evidence I'm glad your not drafting for the Jets...thanks on the Ngata comparison...we'll return to this thread in three years or so...lol.

Yeah, you compared him to Jarron Gilbert for the hell of it. What evidence did you even present for your case? His stats from this past year which aren't even bad? Seriously?

I'll gladly stand by what I say here. I can guaran-****in-tee hell be better than Jarron Gilbert.

i agree with this and to repeat myself look at the stats on guys like Ngata, Wilfork, Dareus, Raji etc. for the most part they have no stats to speak of. These guys make the occasional big play but are really there to set the table.

Inexplicable to me to listen to the arbitrary statements of the kind of numbers he should have put up...Based on nothing...no real guesses at what he should have done just that it should be better....it's a nowhere argument backing a nowhere point made mostly by people who didn't watch him anyway but heard someone say he didn't dominate consistently and translated to he didn't dominate at all. Poe had a fine college career and his makeup is as good as anyone's in this draft...he's also as well known and scouted as anyone in this class....

Inexplicable to me to listen to the arbitrary statements of the kind of numbers he should have put up...Based on nothing...no real guesses at what he should have done just that it should be better....it's a nowhere argument backing a nowhere point made mostly by people who didn't watch him anyway but heard someone say he didn't dominate consistently and translated to he didn't dominate at all. Poe had a fine college career and his makeup is as good as anyone's in this draft...he's also as well known and scouted as anyone in this class....

I try to find time to find the gather the stats on the other guys...but a quick CBSSports Google search found Ngata stats from college...the resume looks a little different from Poe's...take a look...see if your arguments holds water...

Consensus All-American (The NFL Draft Report, Football Writers Association of America, Walter Camp Football Foundation, Associated Press, Sports Illustrated, ESPN.com) and unanimous All-Pac 10 Conference first-team selection … Finalist for the Outland Trophy and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy … Was named the Pac-10's Co-Defensive Player of the Year and was the recipient of the Morris Trophy (Pac-10's top defensive lineman) … Also won the Skeie's Award (team's most outstanding player) … Started all year at weakside linebacker, but was hobbled late in the year by an ankle sprain vs. Washington State and a knee sprain vs. Oklahoma in the Holiday Bowl … Recorded 61 tackles (32 solos) with three sacks for minus 20 yards and nine stops for losses of 37 yards … Had one quarterback pressure and recorded a safety … Blocked two kicks and deflected five passes … Recovered and caused a fumble … Had nine third-down tackles and made 53 of his stops in run support.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/417708

Compare to Gilbert...who looks more impressive in hindsight...still waiting for some NFL highlights...but he did jump out of a pool once...guess...I'm just not seeing what you guys are...good luck with that.

All-American first-team and Super Sleeper Team selection by The NFL Draft Report … All-Western Athletic Conference first-team choice and named the league's co-Defensive Player of the Year … The team captain was also named the Spartans' Most Valuable Player … Started at his fourth different position during his SJSU career, taking over left defensive tackle duties … Recorded a career-high 52 tackles (36 solos), as he led the team, ranked second in the WAC and finished tied for 19th in the nation with 9.5 sacks for minus 74 yards … Led the NCAA and tied the conference season-record with 22.0 stops behind the line of scrimmage for losses totaling 116 yards … Added five quarterback pressures, as he caused two fumbles and deflected three passes … Made 41 of his plays vs. the running game, holding the opposition to 39 yards (0.95 ypc) with no touchdowns and just four first downs, as he stopped ball carriers for no gain on eight attempts, in addition to making 22 tackles behind the line of scrimmage … Registered ten of his stops on third-down plays and one more on fourth down, as he also produced seven stops for loss inside the red zone.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/566614

Still completely fail to see how Gilbert fits into this at all. You just fought up a random name who busted and decider that's a good comp. This based off the assumption you're implying you made that Poe came out of nowhere based on workout numbers (which > jumping out of a pool anyway).

Beyond tackles what's more impressive about Ngatas numbers? Pretty sure it's easier to get the big college awards like Pac-10 awards when you're at a big college school in the Pac-10.

Archived