College Politics

Sir Thomas

Politics...seems like every college has it. In the wake of Urban Meyes conduct investigation makes me think back to Steve Spurrier. Says they are going to retire to private life but look where they are at now? Are they being forced out? Who is actually running the football programs? The president of the College? Sports Director or maybe the alumni. Florida has a string of strong seasons under Meyers with two National Titles and then they go into a slump. Meyers retires for "health" reasons....hummm.

Has College become a money making business like the Pros? College is to be a place of education so that students can go out into the business world. Sports scholarship is a way for some students to get in but now a college is, to a student, a stepping stone to the pros and to the college administrators, a way to make money.

If a coach doesn't get the schools team into a BSC Championship Game or at least into a bowl game, they are let go. Bowls games bring in money whether they win or lose. What do you think?

Politics...seems like every college has it. In the wake of Urban Meyes conduct investigation makes me think back to Steve Spurrier. Says they are going to retire to private life but look where they are at now? Are they being forced out? Who is actually running the football programs? The president of the College? Sports Director or maybe the alumni. Florida has a string of strong seasons under Meyers with two National Titles and then they go into a slump. Meyers retires for "health" reasons....hummm.

Has College become a money making business like the Pros? College is to be a place of education so that students can go out into the business world. Sports scholarship is a way for some students to get in but now a college is, to a student, a stepping stone to the pros and to the college administrators, a way to make money.

If a coach doesn't get the schools team into a BSC Championship Game or at least into a bowl game, they are let go. Bowls games bring in money whether they win or lose. What do you think?

College is in a money making business with or without sports.

Sports is a merely a way to advertise. A college hosts a sports clinic, an art class for HS students, a math competition, these are merely ways to get kids in the doors to get their hooks into them. So when they graduate HS, they want to go there.

Of course its a business. Do you realize how much money college Football makes the University? It essentially pays for everything the school wants to do.

Florida was a decent school prior to Steve Spurrier. Average B, borderline C student could make it back in the early 90's. Now? My god. There is no way I would have made it into UF. The bar is too high. Its now one of the best public schools in the country. My cousin got denied with a 4.2, 1600+ on the SAT, a great ACT score and was the class President. She had to go to UCF. Football was responsible for that change. They were able to afford the best professors and start more programs that are available to students. Not to mention, campus upgrades, etc.

Football makes the school if the school knows how to use it properly. Football and Basketball essentially carry every other athletic program in the University. Even Baseball is essentially a break even sport. If it werent for Football, those girl Volleyball players wouldnt be getting scholarships.

Who's running it? I dunno. Myer is weird. They guy is just weird. Great coach, strange dude.

• 3 weeks later...

+1

It's actually pretty frightening when you get a front row seat to it. You have all these mini, unregulated governments, with billions of dollars floating around all over the place, and the systems are so layered that it's impossible to keep track of the flow of it all. Sometimes I wonder what the Feds would dig up if they actually turned their focus to the higher education system. Usually when institutional structuring like this exists, there's a sh*tload of people taking advantage of it.

It's actually pretty frightening when you get a front row seat to it. You have all these mini, unregulated governments, with billions of dollars floating around all over the place, and the systems are so layered that it's impossible to keep track of the flow of it all. Sometimes I wonder what the Feds would dig up if they actually turned their focus to the higher education system. Usually when institutional structuring like this exists, there's a sh*tload of people taking advantage of it.

Even the above-ground stuff makes every big university resemble a Central American republic. A couple years ago we were negotiating a new contract, and they tried to eliminate tuition waivers entirely. This while the number of faculty had grown by something like 10% in the last decade and the number of administrators had grown by something like 200% in the same span. Not to mention the president making $600k, getting a free house in C-U and a free lakeshore condo in Chicago, and a charter jet to shuttle him back and forth.

Archived