**** this guy

Gastineau Lives

Darrelle Revis unhappy with his contract

4155.jpg

Darrelle Revis is unhappy with his contract situation, and didn't rule out the possibility of a holdout when speaking to reporters Monday.

"I just don't know," said Revis. "I'm not saying I am going to holdout. I'm not saying I'm not." Revis held out for over a month back in 2010 before signing a four-year, $46 million extension. Only 26 and clearly the most dominant player at his position, Revis is understandably upset after watching inferior Brandon Carr and Cortland Finnegan land huge contracts. He has plenty of leverage and likely won't be satisfied unless he's the league's top-paid cornerback.

So, what, is he going to hold out every season? I've never seen something like this. **** him. No, really, I'd rather have a sh*tty defense than give in to this greedy ******* idiot. Holding us hostage every ******* season when you sign the ******* contract. Go **** yourself. Play in Jacksonville or Cleveland or Cincinnatti or some other ******* hole, faggot.

How many contracts do you want to break?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade him to Vikings for #3 overall, plus next year's 1st, and a couple mid-rounders, then get Asante Samuel from Philly for a 4th. Select Trent Richardson this year, then Ingram, Coples or Floyd with #16.

Move on.

Some of you people don't deserve to have a player as great as Revis on this team the way you turn on players just because of one stupid quote taken out of context. He hasn't even held out and already people are saying '**** this guy'. Some days I'm truly embarrassed to be a Jets' fan, and sadly, a lot of the time is because of the sheer idiocy of some of the fans.

Revis is the best CB in the league by lightyears. Even Nnamdi couldn't pretend to be the player Revis is. He's a true, rare talent. One that comes along once in a generation. Like Ronnie Lott, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Walter Payton, Peyton Manning. He plays his position so well that we're shocked when a WR catches a ball against him. Even the best WR's in the league. He deserves a contract that reflects his value. Though I don't think we can afford it with some of the rediculous salaries we've overpaid the last few years. Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Santonio Holmes...they've hamstrung our cap and we've only Tannenbum to blame for the bloated contracts he's handed out to these underperformers. So we'll lose the best CB this league has seen in a decade or more. Because our GM isn't good at GMing.

Some of you people don't deserve to have a player as great as Revis on this team the way you turn on players just because of one stupid quote taken out of context. He hasn't even held out and already people are saying '**** this guy'. Some days I'm truly embarrassed to be a Jets' fan, and sadly, a lot of the time is because of the sheer idiocy of some of the fans.

I guess you're a genius, then. Yeah **** him. How many times would YOU like to be held hostage? Every year he's going to re-negotiate a contract that he signs. You're the idiot, that's possible, you know.

God, it amazes me how awesome some Jet fans would be in prison.

You're the embarrassment. Tell me the last time you saw a player re-negotiate in every year of his contract? Because that's where we're headed, you know. Every time somebody gets a new contract, this player will insist on re-negotiating the one he signed last year or will hold our season hostage. **** that. How many great players can YOU name that held out as often as it seems we're heading with this greedy ****?

he is not as important as a pass rusher. pass rushers make all DB's better

teams just throw away from him

usually to the TE or nickel back

you can't do that with a dominant pass rusher so the jets have to be careful here and not give in to him

you can make the argument he underperformed to his contract last year

you can't re-do his deal again, he clearly peaked already and you will get diminishing returns

No super bowls in four decades and Jets fans are still pro-management. Dufaq is going on? PSL's, $9 beers and Tim Tebow the holy cash cow weren't enough for you guys? You sh*t on Revis for wanting to get paid his value? When Tanny dropped $50 mil on Santonio and Rex gave him a captain's patch? Revis is the best we got. the best we've had. The best we'll have for the next ten years. The only true star this team's seen sin=ce Namath and Maynard. Yeah...**** him. He wants to get paid likie a great cornerback.

No super bowls in four decades and Jets fans are still pro-management. Dufaq is going on? PSL's, $9 beers and Tim Tebow the holy cash cow weren't enough for you guys? You sh*t on Revis for wanting to get paid his value? When Tanny dropped $50 mil on Santonio and Rex gave him a captain's patch? Revis is the best we got. the best we've had. The best we'll have for the next ten years. The only true star this team's seen sin=ce Namath and Maynard. Yeah...**** him. He wants to get paid likie a great cornerback.

Yeah, he already GOT paid like a great cornerback. Remember that holdout? Remember him signing a contract?

Here's the question: How many holdouts is enough for you? Because there are more coming unless we give a contract of Peyton Manning proportions. Because some team that is desperate for a cornerback will overpay for one and we will have to match every time. So we have to set the 2016 market with his contract right now.

He has no problem taking the up-front money, either, does he?

Trade him to Vikings for #3 overall, plus next year's 1st, and a couple mid-rounders, then get Asante Samuel from Philly for a 4th. Select Trent Richardson this year, then Ingram, Coples or Floyd with #16.

Move on.

I like the way you dream about Jets trades. Samuel for the fourth would be highway robbery That said, there's a lack of Mark Barron.

Yeah, he already GOT paid like a great cornerback. Remember that holdout? Remember him signing a contract?

Here's the question: How many holdouts is enough for you? Because there are more coming unless we give a contract of Peyton Manning proportions. Because some team that is desperate for a cornerback will overpay for one and we will have to match every time. So we have to set the 2016 market with his contract right now.

He has no problem taking the up-front money, either, does he?

That last contract was not a blockbuster deal. It was basically a " I promise we'll pay you more eventually if you'll sign this paper which says if you hold out again, we'll set your grandmother on fire". But why bother paying attention to actual details.

Rex needs revis because the jets have no pass rush so he needs the CBs to lock down so a chance of a rush can happen. CBs are how Rex's defense work

I like the way you dream about Jets trades. Samuel for the fourth would be highway robbery That said, there's a lack of Mark Barron.

I'm being facetious, mostly.

Revis should be worth 2 firsts though. Also, read on Rotoworld that Philly's price went down on Asante.

I'm being facetious, mostly.

Revis should be worth 2 firsts though. Also, read on Rotoworld that Philly's price went down on Asante.

Then what's he still doing in Philly?

Of course you are, but if they're going to do it it has to be huge...He's not untradeable at all. Good secondaries and SBs have been won and built without one Mevi$ $louch.

That last contract was not a blockbuster deal. It was basically a " I promise we'll pay you more eventually if you'll sign this paper which says if you hold out again, we'll set your grandmother on fire". But why bother paying attention to actual details.

No, Darrelle Revis took care of Darrelle Revis by signing a contract that gave him both short term security and set him up nicely for free agency in 2014.

But now that he's gotten the first two years out of the way, the ones in which he averaged 16m per, he wants the Jets to forget the rest of the contract that made those first two years possible.

Not only that, but who holds out for a month only to sign a deal that SUCKS for them? Is that what you really think happened? Of course it was a blockbuster deal. It was a deal in which you get 16m a year for the first two and then you hold out for more after those two years are in the bank, instead of honoring the rest of the deal. That is the DEFINITION of a blockbuster.

bart scott = 6 yr @ 48 million dollars

calvin pace 6yr @42 million dollars, 22 million guaranteed

Mark Sanchez 5yrs @ 60 million dollars, 28 million guranteed

D'brick 6yrs @ 60 million dollars, 34 million guaranteed

Mangold 7 yrs @ 55 million , 24 million guranteed

Darelle Revis: 4 yrs. 46 million dollars

Cortland Finnegan, 5yrs., 51 million dollars, 24 million guranteed

Tell me again how the best CB in the league is greedy. Woody has a knack for for using the Jedi Mind Trick on some of you guys.

We could do a trade the way the Cowboys did with Walker. It worked out quite well for them.

I'd hate to lose Revis but it is what it is. We gave him a fair contract and he signed it to bad another teams decided to pay some jags more then they should.

Edit: I have no clue how to post charts. Anyway the Cowboys got a sh*t ton of picks and end up having a sick 10 years run.

Darelle Revis: 2 yrs. 32.5 million dollars and then hey, who knows?

Tell me again how the best CB in the league is greedy. Woody has a knack for for using the Jedi Mind Trick on some of you guys.

Fixed

Darelle Revis: 4 yrs. 46 million dollars

In other words, Tanny got great value for the contract he ended up giving him last time? See, it works both ways!

Crap! This again.

This crap is getting old. Revis deserves to get paid, but C'mon. I don't have a problem with his desire to make more, I'm just really get sick of every owner, player, and agent airing their dirty laundry in the media.

I suppose that's how business gets done, but it's getting old.

Another offseason of Revis debates. Great.

I suddenly feel like Bill Murray.

I can understand those saying let him actually do it before you get pissed at the guy for it, but any case trying to be made to defend his right to hold out for the third time is a complete joke. The guy has come nowhere close to earning his pay these past two seasons, yet seemed to have no qualms about that, nor any interest in giving any of it back when the improper pay was going in his favor. He has absolutely no grounds to want a pay raise. In both of the past two years he's had at most half a season where he's played up to the level he gets credited / paid for. In 2010 he showed up completely out of shape which was directly responsible for a half season of injuries and quite frankly, crappy play even when healthy, until finally getting it together late in the year. Last year he started off hot, but by the second half of the year saw a serious drop in his play. Yet despite all of this, if he holds out he's essentially saying he still wants to get paid like he's playing like his 2009 season every year. My guess is if he does, the Jets will (at most) offer him a little bump in his salary number for this year, and maybe not even that. I can't imagine 2 years after they gave him what was designed to be a holdout-proof contract (although they were only fooling themselves with that one) they will have even the slightest interesting whatsoever of tearing up his old deal and giving him a new deal, and particularly not any sort of bonuses or guaranteed money.

usually to the TE or nickel back

you can't do that with a dominant pass rusher so the jets have to be careful here and not give in to him

you can make the argument he underperformed to his contract last year

you can't re-do his deal again, he clearly peaked already and you will get diminishing returns

Agreed. If we were to add 2 potent pass rushers and subtract Revis, we come out ahead results-wise. No question about his talent, but he is so good that he is actually relegated to being a non-factor because opposing teams take him out of the game by not throwing at him. Give us a pass rush and a decent replacement and it will be fine. And will not be held hostage every season.

I wouldn't care if Revis held out again. Pay the man what he deserves - he's proven himself beyond belief. Let's put it this way - Would everyone be raising the same hell if Mangold held out?? I bet not. Why? Because he's the best friggin center in the NFL and he deserves every penny he's worth - and then some.

Crap! This again.

This crap is getting old. Revis deserves to get paid, but C'mon. I don't have a problem with his desire to make more, I'm just really get sick of every owner, player, and agent airing their dirty laundry in the media.

I suppose that's how business gets done, but it's getting old.

Another offseason of Revis debates. Great.

I suddenly feel like Bill Murray.

I don't think Revis is airing his dirty laundry. I think he's defending himself from the media airing out his dirty laundry...and wayyyyy too early before it even needs to be considered. I can't blame the guy. Dude needs to build a resort on his island.

If he holds out, the JETS should trade him and get some picks and move on. This holdout thing is getting really really old. Not sure why we give him front loaded contracts where he plays till the money is great and then holds out or can even think about holding out. Its happened twice now. Whats that old saying "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....

Can't trade him. From Jason's site (www.nyjetscap.com):

If the Jets traded Revis the dead cap charge would be $15.22 million in 2012. If they trade him after June 1st the dead cap would be $3.22 million this year and $12 million next season. Revis is only set to count $11.5 million and $9 million against the cap these next two seasons. It makes no sense from a financial standpoint, let alone a football one, to even entertain the thought of trading him.

As already noted, if Revis holds out, it's essentially a kamikaze mission. He's going to lose a sh*t-ton of cash in the hopes that his absence scares Tannenbaum into just handing him another two-year/$30 million dollar deal, which likely isn't happening. Unfortunately for Revis, the team isn't making a title run this year anyway, so the Jets might be ok with sitting back and watching him burn cash.

Now, if it were my franchise, I'd probably look to avoid the headache and just give him a short-term deal that pays him $1 more than Nnamdi this year, but lets me trade him to Siberia next year with a smaller cap hit.

Either way, the second Revis holds out, we're looking at the likely end of the Jets career of the best player we've seen in a Jet uniform, maybe ever. Bungling all around. Tannenbaum, as usual, outsmarts himself.

Archived