**** this guy

Gastineau Lives

I say no, 16mill was what he made his 1st 2 years of the contract, it made him the #1 CB in the game, these last 2 years was to bring his cap hit down for those years while giving Revis a little insurance for injury, not for him to play them at that rate. Tanny will have to figure out how to ease his cap hit as he gets a long term contract from the Jets or a trade partner. Luckily Tanny is good at accounting.

This is not some JAG that had a good year and wants to cash in, this is for the best player at a position for some time and he still has some time left at the top IMO. His trade value may never be higher. On the other hand, if Rex really does love CBs as much as Newsome stated when Rex was hired, it may be tough to trade him away from Rex.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the general consensus on this thread is Revis deserves to be the 2nd highest paid CB on our roster? How about in the league? I dont like the idea of him holding out any more than the rest of you men but this contract was a "bandaid", believe that. It was meant to give both sides a couple of years to think about what the long term situation was going to be. IMO, we will trade Revis for a kings randsom to a team in the NFC either in this years or next years draft. If that doesnt happen we give him 12.5 per for the forseeable future because he is the best CB in the game. nuff said. it is what it is. [insert more cliches/adages]

There is literally no measurement whatsoever that has Revis as the 2nd highest paid CB on the Jets roster. Even if you want to use the ridiculously illegitimate means of using a player's salary for a single season as the sole basis for how much his contract value is, he's still the highest paid on the Jets. Holmes and Harris are the only players on the Jets who are getting paid more than Revis this year, and his yearly contract value is significantly more than either of theirs.

Oh for ****'s sake, is this what it's come to? We're now going to sit here and argue over semantics? I think my point was fairly clear, and it's not whether or not he technically has the legal right to actually do so. If that is your sole basis for the evaluation of everything people do, then I don't want to live in whatever world you're in. I know you feel the need to try to fabricate some reason to defend absolutely everything Revis does, but the truth of the matter is that he has absolutely no legitimate basis that actually justifies any sort of holdout this year, considering he hasn't even come close to earning his pay over these past two years to begin with. He still wants to get paid for his 2009 season when he's shown these past two years that, as good as he is, that season was a one time fluke that the Jets should never expect to see again. The bottom line is, whether or not he can technically do it or not, still doesn't make it right by any stretch of the imagination.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

i don't care what you think. Revis cares even less.

It's not a matter of right and wrong. He plays football for money. That's his job. If he feels he can make more money by holding out, that's his perogative. If the team pays him or trades him to a team that does, that actually justifies any sort of holdout this year.

If no one pays him, that's an entirely different story. Most players wouldn't get paid. Revis probably will.

I have the right and leverage to absolutely gouge every single one of my clients for our resources because the market is tight and they need me more than ever. But I dont, because its bad business and I care about relationships and the impact of how I do business effects that relationship.

Cant believe this is your argument right now.

I'm not arguing anything other than the fact that Revis is well within his rights to holdout if he so chooses, and you seem to agree. So thanks for supporting my argument. :)

He doesn't need to be concerned about relationships. He's a premier talent with a small window to get paid. As long as he's not getting into trouble on or off the field (he's not), he's going to. His situation and yours are much different.

My personal feeling is that Revis should play out this year and do the contract dance next year, but it's very apparent that Revis cares deeply about money, and being the top paid player at his position in the league is extremely important to him. If he wants that top dollar, he's free to do whatever he has to do to get it.

For the Jets, they have to decide if Revis and his money demands are worth their trouble. If I was Tannanbaum, I'd probably be looking to unload him. Rex probably feels differently. If I did do another deal with Revis, I'd try to make it one that I could get out of reasonably via a trade within the next couple years. Tanny's penchant for handing out large sums of guaranteed money is biting him in the a$$ here.

I dont understand you. is he the best CB in the game? if the answer is yes then he deserves to be paid like it. He has been the best CB in the league and he was paid like it, if he continues to be the best CB in the league he should continue to be paid like it. He signed his last contract with that in his head and he even said that if/when year 3 came around if he would expect to have his contract to reworked so that he remains the highest paid CB in the league. the answer was yes...

There's one small problem with your argument. He already is paid like it. He was paid 32 million over the past two years. That's 16 million / year, which is excessively more than any other CB in the NFL is paid. The next closest is what, $12 million / year? You know why that number is so much more than anyone else? Because that up front money does not cover just two years of Revis' deal. That's why even when you consider the $7.5 million he's due to make this year, his yearly contract value ($13 million) would STILL be more than any other CB in the league. So if the whole issue is him being the highest paid in the league, then I guess the problem is solved, because he is. The up front money he was given doesn't magically go away and not count anymore, it's designed to cover the life of the contract, which is exactly why that's how it counts against a team's salary cap.

This isn't even mentioning the fact that he hasn't come anywhere close to earning what he's been paid so far, with an absolutely horrible first half to his 2010 season and a disappointing second half last season. When you consider that, a very real case can be made that he hasn't even been the best CB in the league these past two seasons, and there's certainly no reason he should still be getting contracts based on his 2009 season.

I dont understand you. is he the best CB in the game? if the answer is yes then he deserves to be paid like it. He has been the best CB in the league and he was paid like it, if he continues to be the best CB in the league he should continue to be paid like it. He signed his last contract with that in his head and he even said that if/when year 3 came around if he would expect to have his contract to reworked so that he remains the highest paid CB in the league. the answer was yes...

There's one small problem with your argument. He already is paid like it. He was paid 32 million over the past two years. That's 16 million / year, which is excessively more than any other CB in the NFL is paid. The next closest is what, $12 million / year? You know why that number is so much more than anyone else? Because that up front money does not cover just two years of Revis' deal. That's why even when you consider the $7.5 million he's due to make this year, his yearly contract value ($13 million) would STILL be more than any other CB in the league. So if the whole issue is him being the highest paid in the league, then I guess the problem is solved, because he is. The up front money he was given doesn't magically go away and not count anymore, it's designed to cover the life of the contract, which is exactly why that's how it counts against a team's salary cap.

This isn't even mentioning the fact that he hasn't come anywhere close to earning what he's been paid so far, with an absolutely horrible first half to his 2010 season and a disappointing second half last season. When you consider that, a very real case can be made that he hasn't even been the best CB in the league these past two seasons, and there's certainly no reason he should still be getting contracts based on his 2009 season.

If the team pays him or trades him to a team that does, that actually justifies any sort of holdout this year.

So you believe that the ends always justify the means then? I guess there's no reason to even bother discussing this any further then, because there's so many things wrong with that line of thinking that I don't even know where to begin.

I'm not arguing anything other than the fact that Revis is well within his rights to holdout if he so chooses, and you seem to agree. So thanks for supporting my argument. :)

He doesn't need to be concerned about relationships. He's a premier talent with a small window to get paid. As long as he's not getting into trouble on or off the field (he's not), he's going to. His situation and yours are much different.

My personal feeling is that Revis should play out this year and do the contract dance next year, but it's very apparent that Revis cares deeply about money, and being the top paid player at his position in the league is extremely important to him. If he wants that top dollar, he's free to do whatever he has to do to get it.

For the Jets, they have to decide if Revis and his money demands are worth their trouble. If I was Tannanbaum, I'd probably be looking to unload him. Rex probably feels differently. If I did do another deal with Revis, I'd try to make it one that I could get out of reasonably via a trade within the next couple years. Tanny's penchant for handing out large sums of guaranteed money is biting him in the a$$ here.

I am supporting your argument but I'm saying having the right, doesnt make it the right thing to do. And you're being very naive if you think he doesnt care about relationships. There is life after Football.

As a fan this sucks, but the older I get the more I realize this game has zero to do with what the fans want.

Revis is doing to the Jets, what countless NFL owners do to players. Revis is so good he's able to flip the script that most cant afford to do. Revis can and he knows it.

Tannenbaum called this an intermediate deal two years ago and now we're supposed to be surprised? We knew this was coming.

I use the same argument I use about Jose Reyes. I see teams winning championships every year without this type of player on their team. Sure Revis is the best. I love watching him. But you do not need the best CB in the league to win a SB. Face it. OUr FO and our coach is obsessed with having Revis. They also do not know how to build a SB winner. They have drafted a lemon LB and very probably traded up for a lemon QB in the last few years. Their safeties have stunk for 3 years. They had no depth last year on the OL or pretty much anywhere else. I think Rex is a very good on the field football coach. He has done it with mirrors the last few years, though. Our talent level has been middle of the pack at best. We need a real personnel guy to build this team. Trading Revis would allow the Jets to truly upgrade. Of course, I would not trust Tannenbaum to make those draft calls.

Does that hold true via trade? I thought only if cut? Thought the cap value transfers to the new team?

As I understand the cap numbers, the bonus $$$ totaled $18 million prorated over 6 years. Only one year is off the books, so the Jets are still on the hook for $15 million more, prorated over the next 5 years if traded right now. Even if they were to trade him next season, it is a $12 million hit. Tanny will next take on the job of being Greece's Finance Minister -- he is eminently qualified for the job.

So you believe that the ends always justify the means then? I guess there's no reason to even bother discussing this any further then, because there's so many things wrong with that line of thinking that I don't even know where to begin.

That is a massive -and incorrect- leap of judgement.

There's no reason to discuss it because you're trying to apply some sort of personal morality to a business. It doesn't apply. It doesn't apply when teams cut players with years left on their deals, or ship them to Siberia, and it doesn't apply when a player is looking to do better for himself, either.

It's business. Nothing more and nothing less.

I've expressed what I think Revis should do, and it's pretty close top what you think, but you completely ignored that to argue your inapplicable morality case. You specifically said he has no right to hold out, and I said he has every right - even though I think it's in his best interests not to.

I am supporting your argument but I'm saying having the right, doesnt make it the right thing to do. And you're being very naive if you think he doesnt care about relationships. There is life after Football.

Again, there is no right and wrong. Teams sever contracts all the time. When a player has the power to do the same, I say more power to 'em.

And no, Revis doesn't have to worry about football relationships. His talent is currency. He doesn't care what Tannenbaum thinks about him, because Tanny will either be replaced or Revis can go make mega-millions for someone else. Who's being naive, Kay?

I could be wrong but i believe those first 2 years Revis was paid the same amount as Asomauga. This year the top CB may be paid around 12mill. that is where i expect Revis will land, not 6-7 mill. As far as where he rates on the jets roster, I thought Cro was sitting at 4 years, 32 mill so that would put him at 8 mill a year and more than revis' 6-7 mill. Again, i could be wrong about the numbers but that was what i based my post on.

As far as how he fits into the jets scheme, he is pretty much a 1 off for our defense against the other teams best receiver. So it becomes a 10 on 10 game with the other team playing without their #1 rec option. Definately tilts the board in the jets favor. as far as Revis not producing in the first half of any year, i would say that could be true in only the few weeks he missed due to the hammy. I dont see it at any other time the last 2 years.

Again, there is no right and wrong. Teams sever contracts all the time. When a player has the power to do the same, I say more power to 'em.

And no, Revis doesn't have to worry about football relationships. His talent is currency. He doesn't care what Tannenbaum thinks about him, because Tanny will either be replaced or Revis can go make mega-millions for someone else. Who's being naive, Kay?

You are, you dirty hippy. Any man that cares about business or money as much as Revis clearly does, cares about relationships. Burning bridges isnt good business. You never know what will happen in life after Football. Someone that is known to break contracts with the blink of an eye, isnt going to have people lining up to engage with him as a partner.

last year the Jets were on national TV on the anniversary of 9-11 and Revis iced the game with a late INT of Romo.

that's why he's worth the money. HE literally wins big games.

Are you serious with that crap? That's absolutely disgusting. For the love of God I hope Revis isn't enough of a scumbag to try to use that as a negotiating stance.

Here's the difference, teams sever contracts within the agreed to parameters of a binding agreement. Mevi$$ is again apply leverage by reneging on a legal and binding contract. If he wants to squeeze the team by legally opting out (which his contract provides for) and renegotiating, then there is no problem.

The irony is, between the bonus money and advanced salary, he has already been appropriately paid for his services and level of play. Having the power to squeeze the team isn't the same as having the right to do so. And, blame Tanny/Woody/Rex just as much for being so naive to believe that this self centered, dishonest POS would live up to his word.

You are, you dirty hippy. Any man that cares about business or money as much as Revis clearly does, cares about relationships. Burning bridges isnt good business. You never know what will happen in life after Football. Someone that is known to break contracts with the blink of an eye, isnt going to have people lining up to engage with him as a partner.

Haha!

When Revis brings his sizable bankroll and reputation for being able to squeeze dollars out of a stone to the table, I think he'll do just fine on the finding partners willing to engage with him front.

When the man you trust the most is Sean Gilbert you tend to be skeptical of what "the man" promises you vs what "the man" shows you. Sean Gilbert knows that there is no golden goose after Revis retires that is going to sh!t him golden eggs if he gets his sh!t pushed in by management. The time for Revis to earn is now and he sure as sh!t will do what he can to earn, NOW. How long will it take him working on NBC to earn an 5Mill 7 years from now as a commentator? Do you even think NBC will not want him because he held out a couple of times? His rep will be tarnished? get real.

lol, slats sounds anything but a hippy with his stances. He's pro money.

Here's the difference, teams sever contracts within the agreed to parameters of a binding agreement. Mevi$$ is again apply leverage by reneging on a legal and binding contract. If he wants to squeeze the team by legally opting out (which his contract provides for) and renegotiating, then there is no problem.

The irony is, between the bonus money and advanced salary, he has already been appropriately paid for his services and level of play. Having the power to squeeze the team isn't the same as having the right to do so. And, blame Tanny/Woody/Rex just as much for being so naive to believe that this self centered, dishonest POS would live up to his word.

The rules are skewed completely in favor of the owners. The owners only have to pay as long as they see fit, while the players are supposedly obligated to honor the entire length of the agreement. It's a bullsh!t system. The only recourse for the players is holding out.

If the team wants to get into the binding and legal portion of the problem, they are always free to sue. If they want to get the player on the field, or get value for him in a trade, then they need to deal otherwise. This is the system.

I could be wrong but i believe those first 2 years Revis was paid the same amount as Asomauga. This year the top CB may be paid around 12mill. that is where i expect Revis will land, not 6-7 mill. As far as where he rates on the jets roster, I thought Cro was sitting at 4 years, 32 mill so that would put him at 8 mill a year and more than revis' 6-7 mill. Again, i could be wrong about the numbers but that was what i based my post on.

As far as how he fits into the jets scheme, he is pretty much a 1 off for our defense against the other teams best receiver. So it becomes a 10 on 10 game with the other team playing without their #1 rec option. Definately tilts the board in the jets favor. as far as Revis not producing in the first half of any year, i would say that could be true in only the few weeks he missed due to the hammy. I dont see it at any other time the last 2 years.

Huh? You keep changing the criteria for what a player is paid. So in the case of Cro, you're counting him as getting paid $8 million because that's his average yearly pay (despite that he's going to be paid much less than that this year), including bonuses, but in Revis' case you want to completely dismiss all the up front money he's received and just count his pay for this year? Well which one is it, because it can't be both. Again, Revis was paid an assload of money up front, and that all counts towards his pay over the course of his entire contract, which is why his compensation for this year is actually far more than the $7.5 million he'll be receiving over the course of the year, he's just already received it. The same holds true for every other player in the NFL, so you can't act like Revis is getting mistreated just because a single year of salary is less than the average value, including bonuses, of another player who's contract is actually valued at far less than Revis'.

As far as the comparison to Aso, his deal with the Raiders was an embarrassment and the entire league said so. Yes, the Jets setup Revis' contract so it would pay more than Aso at the beginning just to shut him up, but that contract of his is now long gone (Aso's contract was in it's last year when Revis signed his) and he gets nowhere close to that anymore. Last year he signed a new contract for $10 million/year, significantly less than that of Revis.

I wouldn't care if Revis held out again. Pay the man what he deserves - he's proven himself beyond belief. Let's put it this way - Would everyone be raising the same hell if Mangold held out?? I bet not. Why? Because he's the best friggin center in the NFL and he deserves every penny he's worth - and then some.

If it was Mangold, we would call for his head even more so. I agree Revis deserves to get paid. He is the best. But this is getting out of control.

His peers think he is currently the 8th best PLAYER, 4th best defensive player, and the best CB in the league. Rex thinks he will go down as the greatest player to ever wear a Jets uni. He has all the ammo he needs to justify being paid for what he thinks he is worth. In business, you are worth what you can convince people to pay you. Period.

http://youtu.be/zKumn4GNnFQ

Revis is definitely going to be the greatest Jet ever if he keeps this up for a few more years. But the whole thing of holding out again and again is ridiculous. Contracts have no meaning. Lets be real, he isn't hurting for money. I defended him when he held out cause he deserves to be paid. So we caved, paid him and now two years later he wants what? Part of ownership?

Revis is definitely going to be the greatest Jet ever if he keeps this up for a few more years. But the whole thing of holding out again and again is ridiculous. Contracts have no meaning. Lets be real, he isn't hurting for money. I defended him when he held out cause he deserves to be paid. So we caved, paid him and now two years later he wants what? Part of ownership?

We don't really know what the conversations were like the last time around when they finally agreed to terms. We do know that Tanny stated that it was a two year band aid. If he was willing to tell the media that, then I am pretty sure he told the same thing to the Revis camp. He is not currently a hold out! To me, that's what is the most ridiculous about this whole ordeal.

I understand he briefly held out as a rookie, but the Jets traded up to get him, and he did what many rookies in his situation have done. The hold out two years ago was a situation where he had outplayed his rookie deal, everyone knew it, and the two sides struggled to find a middle ground. They found a temporary solution that has run its course, and the two sides will undoubtedly reevaluate things.

At this point, it is a NON-ISSUE. This thread only exist because some Cimini clone could not help but stir sh!t up while Darelle was at a charity event working on some tax write-offs.

The window is small for truly great players to cash in. You could look at the Manning situation the same way. He made a ton of money last year on the Colts sideline. He could still be in Indy if he would have agreed to lesser money this year, while considering last year's cash as partial compensation for this year. That's the way some folks want Revis to look at things, but it is not reality.

As for burning bridges and jeopardizing relationships, he has not come close to the point of no return. While Tannenbaum is respected in the league, no one is going to take his side in this. And that is all that matters. You think a whining Woody Johnson is going to have any influence on Revis' post-football career? No way. He may have more money, but Revis has the celebrity.

Revis used to be a marketing chip for this organization. Woody now has Tebow....dont think this doesnt cross his mind.

If we want to win, we'll take care of Revis. But if anything has shown, we're a tv show first, football team second.

Can't we all just get along? Did I just write that? I agree that he's the best cb in the league, that's a no-brainer. But I wish he would show some loyalty to the organization, his teammates, and the fans and not turn this into a media circus every couple of years. It was a disgrace when he held out, and took the focus away from with the Championship and made it all about him and his contract two years ago. He should give management time to honor their promises and keep behind closed doors. If they don't, he can walk, but don't continue to hold us hostage.

Lepunk is arguably the best basketball player on the planet but he handled himself like such a jackass before signing with the Heat, it'll forever detract from any legacy he might have plus he proved he couldn't be the man, he needed a couple other men there with him. That's why STAT is the man, he came to NY when the Knicks were the biggest laughingstock in basketball. Go STAT, go Melo, I'll stop now.

The only one turning this into a media circus is...the media. He was at a charity event and was asked questions about his contract. From all indications, the media was persistent in asking him about his contract...at a charity event. He basically said that he was busy getting ready for the season and he wasn't going to say whether he was going to hold out or not and his agents were going to advise him on what's best for him. The media just isn't letting it die because they know how fragile some Jets' fans are and some of them (Cimini) like to stir sh*t up whenever they can.

The media has most of you wrapped around their collective fingers and you're following along like Lemmings. Congratulations.

The only one turning this into a media circus is...the media. He was at a charity event and was asked questions about his contract. From all indications, the media was persistent in asking him about his contract...at a charity event. He basically said that he was busy getting ready for the season and he wasn't going to say whether he was going to hold out or not and his agents were going to advise him on what's best for him. The media just isn't letting it die because they know how fragile some Jets' fans are and some of them (Cimini) like to stir sh*t up whenever they can.

The media has most of you wrapped around their collective fingers and you're following along like Lemmings. Congratulations.

+1 it should be noted that Revis didn't say he was holding out. The media did. it's a huge difference.

+1 it should be noted that Revis didn't say he was holding out. The media did. it's a huge difference.

It's always media driven. Why anyone gives them the time of day on their "opinions" and "fluffy off-season" peices is beyond me. Personally, I think most sports media suck out loud.

Haha!

When Revis brings his sizable bankroll and reputation for being able to squeeze dollars out of a stone to the table, I think he'll do just fine on the finding partners willing to engage with him front.

His bankroll is nothing compared to that of a Woody Johnson or Robert Kraft, etc. if that's the route he decides to go. You're being very naive. You have no clue what kind of financial trouble this dude with life after Football and being an untrustworthy business partner is a stain...whether you want to agree or not.

When the man you trust the most is Sean Gilbert you tend to be skeptical of what "the man" promises you vs what "the man" shows you. Sean Gilbert knows that there is no golden goose after Revis retires that is going to sh!t him golden eggs if he gets his sh!t pushed in by management. The time for Revis to earn is now and he sure as sh!t will do what he can to earn, NOW. How long will it take him working on NBC to earn an 5Mill 7 years from now as a commentator? Do you even think NBC will not want him because he held out a couple of times? His rep will be tarnished? get real.

If Revis's only time to earn is now...then he's a bigger moron than those not getting the life after Football portion of this argument.

lol, slats sounds anything but a hippy with his stances. He's pro money.

Then you dont know slats. He's a dirty of hippy as you can get.

Remember, his whole premise is...ITS HIS RIGHT!!! Doesnt get anymore hippy than that.

Archived