**** this guy

Gastineau Lives

Trade him to Vikings for #3 overall, plus next year's 1st, and a couple mid-rounders, then get Asante Samuel from Philly for a 4th. Select Trent Richardson this year, then Ingram, Coples or Floyd with #16.

Move on.

if we could get this much I would do it in a second

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't we all just get along? Did I just write that? I agree that he's the best cb in the league, that's a no-brainer. But I wish he would show some loyalty to the organization, his teammates, and the fans and not turn this into a media circus every couple of years. It was a disgrace when he held out, and took the focus away from with the Championship and made it all about him and his contract two years ago. He should give management time to honor their promises and keep behind closed doors. If they don't, he can walk, but don't continue to hold us hostage.

Lepunk is arguably the best basketball player on the planet but he handled himself like such a jackass before signing with the Heat, it'll forever detract from any legacy he might have plus he proved he couldn't be the man, he needed a couple other men there with him. That's why STAT is the man, he came to NY when the Knicks were the biggest laughingstock in basketball. Go STAT, go Melo, I'll stop now.

Trade him to Vikings for #3 overall, plus next year's 1st, and a couple mid-rounders, then get Asante Samuel from Philly for a 4th. Select Trent Richardson this year, then Ingram, Coples or Floyd with #16.

Move on.

I could not agree more. I love having Revis on our team and all that, but this is ridiculous. He is at the top of his value and we can change the whole dynamic of this team by trading him. Taking 15 mil or whatever he makes off of the books to sign Samuel and Atogwe etc would make up for him nicely on the D. We could sign those two players and the rookies all for what Revis is unhappy making.

No one player should hold us hostage ever again.

No super bowls in four decades and Jets fans are still pro-management. Dufaq is going on? PSL's, $9 beers and Tim Tebow the holy cash cow weren't enough for you guys? You sh*t on Revis for wanting to get paid his value? When Tanny dropped $50 mil on Santonio and Rex gave him a captain's patch? Revis is the best we got. the best we've had. The best we'll have for the next ten years. The only true star this team's seen sin=ce Namath and Maynard. Yeah...**** him. He wants to get paid likie a great cornerback.

He's already getting paid like a great CB and has held out twice in his shirt career. GIve me a break. Everyone knows he's a great player, but you can not let any one player, especially if he's not an elite QB, hold you hostage. Stop being loyal to a player who could give a rats a$$ about the fans.

There's a lot of value in doing what you say you're going to do. Sign a 4 year deal and play for four years man. He came back from the hold out and had a crappy year. Last season wasn't all that dominat either. I say trade him and get top dollar for him now while we can still get it.

as far as I understand it, he can't hold out. They would own his contract until 2016.

It doesn't matter if his contract is ten minutes or ten years, holding out is breaching it either way, and he's clearly demonstrated that he has no problem breaching his contract. Those phantom years at the end of Revis' deal were a joke from the start.

I can understand those saying let him actually do it before you get pissed at the guy for it, but any case trying to be made to defend his right to hold out for the third time is a complete joke.

Sorry, but he has the right to hold out. Every player in the league does. The difference is that most other players in the league will get laughed at, while Revis is a rare talent who has to be dealt with.

You may not like it, I may not like it, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have every right to do it. And if he makes himself more money, he was smart to do it.

Some of you people don't deserve to have a player as great as Revis on this team the way you turn on players just because of one stupid quote taken out of context. He hasn't even held out and already people are saying '**** this guy'. Some days I'm truly embarrassed to be a Jets' fan, and sadly, a lot of the time is because of the sheer idiocy of some of the fans.

Reactionary, emotional and dysfunctional the Triad of Jetfanship.

You may not like it, I may not like it, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have every right to do it. And if he makes himself more money, he was smart to do it.

Pretty much. Does anyone out there really think this doesn't result in Revis getting paid?

Pretty much. Does anyone out there really think this doesn't result in Revis getting paid?

If he holds out, I hope the Jets keep his rights until 2016, or make him available via trade. "Give us six first rounders and he's yours. Otherwise, he can sit on the couch for the next four years" then drag his a$$ to court for not showing up for work. That'd be my perfect world scenario anyway.

If he holds out, I hope the Jets keep his rights until 2016, or make him available via trade. "Give us six first rounders and he's yours. Otherwise, he can sit on the couch for the next four years" then drag his a$$ to court for not showing up for work. That'd be my perfect world scenario anyway.

It'd go the Vincent Jackson route, I'd imagine. Then some team will deal for him next year and be hailed as shrewd for going out and getting an All-Pro talent.

Someone needs to sit Revis down and explain to him how much more he'll be worth when he's 50 if he's seen as a beloved hero rather than a greedy prick.

I understand the whole 'strike while the iron's hot' philosophy and its about maximizing your value during a relatively short window but don't any of these guys think long term?

Joe Namath was the highest paid player of his time but I guarantee you he's made more in retirement than he did as an active player. Now with the value of these guys contracts the likelihood of them making more in retirement has decreased but then I look at a guy like Michael Jordan, who made himself a brand. Jordan didn't always have the biggest contract when he played. That's because he understood the need to have a team around him to compete for a title and that his biggest financial rewards would come later on. He was the highest paid player in the NBA his last three seasons but there was no holdout, no alienating fans. No one ever called him greedy and he is now the wealthiest athlete in history and owns his own NBA team.

Now I'm not comparing Revis to Jordan as a talent. But Darelle could learn a valuable lesson by taking his example. At the rate he's going Revis is going to make a crapload of money as a player. But then he'll be done and he better be smart with his money because there won't be a lot more coming in.

If he gets his head out of his a$$ and takes a little less, allowing the Jets to build a championship caliber team around him, he'll be beloved in a city that takes great care of its legends.

Someone needs to sit Revis down and explain to him how much more he'll be worth when he's 50 if he's seen as a beloved hero rather than a greedy prick.

I understand the whole 'strike while the iron's hot' philosophy and its about maximizing your value during a relatively short window but don't any of these guys think long term?

Joe Namath was the highest paid player of his time but I guarantee you he's made more in retirement than he did as an active player. Now with the value of these guys contracts the likelihood of them making more in retirement has decreased but then I look at a guy like Michael Jordan, who made himself a brand. Jordan didn't always have the biggest contract when he played. That's because he understood the need to have a team around him to compete for a title and that his biggest financial rewards would come later on. He was the highest paid player in the NBA his last three seasons but there was no holdout, no alienating fans. No one ever called him greedy and he is now the wealthiest athlete in history and owns his own NBA team.

Now I'm not comparing Revis to Jordan as a talent. But Darelle could learn a valuable lesson by taking his example. At the rate he's going Revis is going to make a crapload of money as a player. But then he'll be done and he better be smart with his money because there won't be a lot more coming in.

If he gets his head out of his a$$ and takes a little less, allowing the Jets to build a championship caliber team around him, he'll be beloved in a city that takes great care of its legends.

Interesting angle, but if Revis helps, say, Dallas win a title, he'd be a god there, too. Namath is celebrated largely by default here. How many great Jets have there been?

Interesting angle, but if Revis helps, say, Dallas win a title, he'd be a god there, too. Namath is celebrated largely by default here. How many great Jets have there been?

In Dallas he'd be just another guy who helped the Cowboys win yet another SB. Bad example on your part.

If Revis helps the Jets win a title he's the best player on the Jets first SB champ in more than 40 years. Huge difference.

In Dallas he'd be just another guy who helped the Cowboys win yet another SB. Bad example on your part.

If Revis helps the Jets win a title he's the best player on the Jets first SB champ in more than 40 years. Huge difference.

Except that the Jets are about as close to winning a Super Bowl in the next two years as the Saskatchewan Rough Riders are.

this guy holds out and there's even more reliance on Sanchesa becoming a good QB. Imo, losing revis makes this defense closer to avg then good. Teams with an avg defense and a bad offense win 5-7 games

Trade him for enough picks to build a SB winner. Simple.

This.

Revis is the best blah blah blah. The best CB in the league was enough to get us to 8-8. CB just isn't THAT valuable. The Giants and the Pats were fine this year without Elite CBs.

Teams continue to win the Super Bowl without Revis. The Jets can do this too.

This.

Revis is the best blah blah blah. The best CB in the league was enough to get us to 8-8. CB just isn't THAT valuable. The Giants and the Pats were fine this year without Elite CBs.

Teams continue to win the Super Bowl without Revis. The Jets can do this too.

But who would you like to cut in order to absorb the $12-$15 million dollar cap hit we'd assume by trading him?

The worst part of all this? My kid sister just got me a Revis jersey for my birthday... Knowing I never like to get jerseys unless it's a player I think is going to be a Jet forever. Sigh.

LOL. the only Jets jersey I have is this horrendous Chrebet black jersey my wife bought me like 5 years ago. I felt so bad for her. She tried to do something nice. I had to wear it a couple times so I'd put it on during a game once or twice...never left the house with it on.

"Im the best CB in the league, you know it, I know it, so you damn know for sure I aint steppin on that field until I'm paid like it."

The worst part of all this? My kid sister just got me a Revis jersey for my birthday... Knowing I never like to get jerseys unless it's a player I think is going to be a Jet forever. Sigh.

OMG dude. The only jersey Baby Crusher has of an active player is Revis first pro bowl jersey. Poor kid is in full meltdown mode.

Does that hold true via trade? I thought only if cut? Thought the cap value transfers to the new team?

Either way trade or cut The Jets moving Revis in 2012 results in the mother of all cap hits. It's the prorated signing bonus that kicks in. According to Jason's NYJetscap website, Revis's cap hit in a trade only becomes feasable for the Jets the following year 2013.

My guess is that Revis holds out for part or all of training camp, with Front Office jobs on the line the Jets will be forced to throw him more cash this year and then trade him next year.

LOL. the only Jets jersey I have is this horrendous Chrebet black jersey my wife bought me like 5 years ago. I felt so bad for her. She tried to do something nice. I had to wear it a couple times so I'd put it on during a game once or twice...never left the house with it on.

Haha... I've had a couple of jerseys, used to buy them for my favorite players, so I had a Shannon Sharpe (orange crush) Broncos jersey, a Junior Seau Chargers jersey, an Edgerrin James Colts jersey, and of course a Kevin Mawae Jets jersey.

Then I outgrew that and became only about 1.) my team, the Jets; and 2.) not wearing jerseys because they look like wigga costumes. I'm much more into the retro gridiron classic t-shirts, and "slouch" caps, if anything at all. I just don't like all the gawdy paraphernalia that much.

Then my brother bought me a Curtis Martin away jersey, because I moved out of NY. I loved it. Still do, its my favorite jersey. White jerseys are the best.

The year Favre came to the Jets my fiancé did something similar to your wife, she got me the Favre home jersey. She wanted to do something nice. I felt awful, because she bought it right after we took the trip down to Foxboro to see my first live Jets game - Favre was still playing awesome, she saw how elated I was about the direction of that season. Then she gave it to me at Christmas after the collapse... she almost cried when I opened it. I played it right and acted surprised, but she knows a thing or two about football... and knew Favre took a dump, as did the whole team, to end that season miserably. I never wear that jersey, but I can't throw it out - seems unnecessarily mean to her, so I keep it as a reminder of my first game.

My kid sister doesn't know anything about football. She just wanted to get me the jersey for the "best Jet". She did. Revis home jersey, its cool.... hopefully this rumor is nothing. I'd like to have this jersey make me happy like my #28 does. :)

so the general consensus on this thread is Revis deserves to be the 2nd highest paid CB on our roster? How about in the league? I dont like the idea of him holding out any more than the rest of you men but this contract was a "bandaid", believe that. It was meant to give both sides a couple of years to think about what the long term situation was going to be. IMO, we will trade Revis for a kings randsom to a team in the NFC either in this years or next years draft. If that doesnt happen we give him 12.5 per for the forseeable future because he is the best CB in the game. nuff said. it is what it is. [insert more cliches/adages]

Sorry, but he has the right to hold out. Every player in the league does. The difference is that most other players in the league will get laughed at, while Revis is a rare talent who has to be dealt with.

Oh for ****'s sake, is this what it's come to? We're now going to sit here and argue over semantics? I think my point was fairly clear, and it's not whether or not he technically has the legal right to actually do so. If that is your sole basis for the evaluation of everything people do, then I don't want to live in whatever world you're in. I know you feel the need to try to fabricate some reason to defend absolutely everything Revis does, but the truth of the matter is that he has absolutely no legitimate basis that actually justifies any sort of holdout this year, considering he hasn't even come close to earning his pay over these past two years to begin with. He still wants to get paid for his 2009 season when he's shown these past two years that, as good as he is, that season was a one time fluke that the Jets should never expect to see again. The bottom line is, whether or not he can technically do it or not, still doesn't make it right by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh for ****'s sake, is this what it's come to? We're now going to sit here and argue over semantics? I think my point was fairly clear, and it's not whether or not he technically has the legal right to actually do so. If that is your sole basis for the evaluation of everything people do, then I don't want to live in whatever world you're in. I know you feel the need to try to fabricate some reason to defend absolutely everything Revis does, but the truth of the matter is that he has absolutely no legitimate basis that actually justifies any sort of holdout this year, considering he hasn't even come close to earning his pay over these past two years to begin with. He still wants to get paid for his 2009 season when he's shown these past two years that, as good as he is, that season was a one time fluke that the Jets should never expect to see again. The bottom line is, whether or not he can technically do it or not, still doesn't make it right by any stretch of the imagination.

I dont understand you. is he the best CB in the game? if the answer is yes then he deserves to be paid like it. He has been the best CB in the league and he was paid like it, if he continues to be the best CB in the league he should continue to be paid like it. He signed his last contract with that in his head and he even said that if/when year 3 came around if he would expect to have his contract to reworked so that he remains the highest paid CB in the league. the answer was yes...

Haha... I've had a couple of jerseys, used to buy them for my favorite players, so I had a Shannon Sharpe (orange crush) Broncos jersey, a Junior Seau Chargers jersey, an Edgerrin James Colts jersey, and of course a Kevin Mawae Jets jersey.

Then I outgrew that and became only about 1.) my team, the Jets; and 2.) not wearing jerseys because they look like wigga costumes. I'm much more into the retro gridiron classic t-shirts, and "slouch" caps, if anything at all. I just don't like all the gawdy paraphernalia that much.

Then my brother bought me a Curtis Martin away jersey, because I moved out of NY. I loved it. Still do, its my favorite jersey. White jerseys are the best.

The year Favre came to the Jets my fiancé did something similar to your wife, she got me the Favre home jersey. She wanted to do something nice. I felt awful, because she bought it right after we took the trip down to Foxboro to see my first live Jets game - Favre was still playing awesome, she saw how elated I was about the direction of that season. Then she gave it to me at Christmas after the collapse... she almost cried when I opened it. I played it right and acted surprised, but she knows a thing or two about football... and knew Favre took a dump, as did the whole team, to end that season miserably. I never wear that jersey, but I can't throw it out - seems unnecessarily mean to her, so I keep it as a reminder of my first game.

My kid sister doesn't know anything about football. She just wanted to get me the jersey for the "best Jet". She did. Revis home jersey, its cool.... hopefully this rumor is nothing. I'd like to have this jersey make me happy like my #28 does. :)

Yeah I was a jersey freak as a kid. My favorites were my Mike Quick and Hanford Dixon. I think I wore that Dixon jersey til it actually turned brown.

I dont understand you. is he the best CB in the game? if the answer is yes then he deserves to be paid like it. He has been the best CB in the league and he was paid like it, if he continues to be the best CB in the league he should continue to be paid like it. He signed his last contract with that in his head and he even said that if/when year 3 came around if he would expect to have his contract to reworked so that he remains the highest paid CB in the league. the answer was yes...

He made 32 and a half million dollars for the first two seasons of this contract.

If he wishes to give back some of that money, make it commensurate to his value for those two years, and then we can adjust to what he deserves now and start over. Oh, and if we can have the salary cap space for 2010 and 11 back, that would be nice as well.

What do you say?

It's a business. If he holds out and it works, it was a good move for him. I am a team first guy like the rest of ya. The avi and sig would change immediately if he were to go elsewhere, or if I felt he was damaging the team. He's not. He was asked if he plans to hold out and he said he doesn't know, which is the truth. Tannenbaum said himself that the last deal was a two year band aid. Its been two years. This is the media stirring the pot. This will be a non-issue.

I have the right and leverage to absolutely gouge every single one of my clients for our resources because the market is tight and they need me more than ever. But I dont, because its bad business and I care about relationships and the impact of how I do business effects that relationship.

Cant believe this is your argument right now.

Archived