**** this guy

Gastineau Lives

Are you guys willing to be Revis shows up to camp this August a happy camper and ready to play under his current contract?

whats the terms of the bet? I believe there's a good chance he plays. Holding out doesn't afford him many options other than a plane ticket out of town. the next time he holds out it's the end of his Jets career.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whats the terms of the bet? I believe there's a good chance he plays. Holding out doesn't afford him many options other than a plane ticket out of town. the next time he holds out it's the end of his Jets career.

Pretty sure Revis wouldn't shed a tear.

I doubt Revis would really care. Revis is what he is. He's a smart guy that will always beast when he's on the field. However in order for a team to receieve that production, he feels he needs to be compensated the highest at all times. He knows how to play the game(the off the field game) and will always hold the higher card until his play drops off dramatically. It just is what it is with him and his team.

The Jets are in a tough spot. Yeah you can say Brady isnt the highest paid at his position, but the disparity between someone like him and Rodgers vs Revis and Asomugha isnt really comparable. Revis is the best CB in the league by a lot.

His bankroll is nothing compared to that of a Woody Johnson or Robert Kraft, etc. if that's the route he decides to go. You're being very naive. You have no clue what kind of financial trouble this dude with life after Football and being an untrustworthy business partner is a stain...whether you want to agree or not.

If Revis's only time to earn is now...then he's a bigger moron than those not getting the life after Football portion of this argument.

Then you dont know slats. He's a dirty of hippy as you can get.

Remember, his whole premise is...ITS HIS RIGHT!!! Doesnt get anymore hippy than that.

You underestimate the stupidity of the serious Jock Sniffer. Unless Revis is very dumb (which all indications show that he is not) he won't have too much trouble getting "paid" in his after football life. Oh, and donlt forget....most is forgotten in a pretty short period of time.

Didn't John Elway threaten to play baseball full-time upon his being drafted by the Inidianalpolis Colts? Basically forcing the Colts to trade him or else. That's kind of an azzhole move.....and quickly forgotten. Also, seems to me that his football afterlife is pretty successful too.

Darrelle Revis unhappy with his contract

4155.jpg

Darrelle Revis is unhappy with his contract situation, and didn't rule out the possibility of a holdout when speaking to reporters Monday.

"I just don't know," said Revis. "I'm not saying I am going to holdout. I'm not saying I'm not." Revis held out for over a month back in 2010 before signing a four-year, $46 million extension. Only 26 and clearly the most dominant player at his position, Revis is understandably upset after watching inferior Brandon Carr and Cortland Finnegan land huge contracts. He has plenty of leverage and likely won't be satisfied unless he's the league's top-paid cornerback.

So, what, is he going to hold out every season? I've never seen something like this. **** him. No, really, I'd rather have a sh*tty defense than give in to this greedy ******* idiot. Holding us hostage every ******* season when you sign the ******* contract. Go **** yourself. Play in Jacksonville or Cleveland or Cincinnatti or some other ******* hole, faggot.

How many contracts do you want to break?

Unbelievable.....what about a trade from draft picks?????

@ JIF--He will make peanuts per year as a talking head on an NFL show compared to what he banks as a the #1 CB in the NFL. Sure there is life after football and if he is smart he can make some money but it is not as if he is ruining anything by maximizing his earnings right now. Helluva negotiating strategy is I will take care of you later. Smart guys get the money now and then we can talk later....

You underestimate the stupidity of the serious Jock Sniffer. Unless Revis is very dumb (which all indications show that he is not) he won't have too much trouble getting "paid" in his after football life. Oh, and donlt forget....most is forgotten in a pretty short period of time.

Didn't John Elway threaten to play baseball full-time upon his being drafted by the Inidianalpolis Colts? Basically forcing the Colts to trade him or else. That's kind of an azzhole move.....and quickly forgotten. Also, seems to me that his football afterlife is pretty successful too.

You see it all the time thought Garb. Warren Sapp is broke, dude had a long career and currently has 2 jobs on major networks. Mark Brunnell is broke because of bad business ventures. He's going to be sell Medical Equipment when he retires. sh*t happens. Maybe Revis is smart with this money, maybe he's not...but his history with how he does business would make any wise businessman think twice about going into a partnership with him...dont care how much money he's bringing to the table.

@ JIF--He will make peanuts per year as a talking head on an NFL show compared to what he banks as a the #1 CB in the NFL. Sure there is life after football and if he is smart he can make some money but it is not as if he is ruining anything by maximizing his earnings right now. Helluva negotiating strategy is I will take care of you later. Smart guys get the money now and then we can talk later....

Sure. Look, at the end of the day, he can do what he wants. If that's what he think is the best decision for him, then who am I to say differently. Doesnt change the fact that anyone that is going to investment money with him moving forward might think twice about forming that partnership because of his penchant for breaking contracts and squeezing the most he can out of his partners.

Personally, I think its a poor way of doing business that might have repercussions down the road. That's all I'm saying.

@ BG- I had a nice post firing off to you but it apparently got lost on the interwebs....to sum it up, i was comparing apples to apples since i was viewing Revis' contract as a 2 year deal. Cro is a legit 4 year deal. on damn near every contract i will look at the total paid divided by the years of the contract but in some cases that doesnt make sense since there is no intent of playing those last years @ 1M. You see/saw it in hockey more but may see it in the NFL depending on how it is viewed in the future.

I hope you are right that Revis plays at 6-7M per year but I dont see it happening but like I said, pride be damned, I hope you are right. maybe that holdout clause will work??????

That is a massive -and incorrect- leap of judgement.

There's no reason to discuss it because you're trying to apply some sort of personal morality to a business. It doesn't apply. It doesn't apply when teams cut players with years left on their deals, or ship them to Siberia, and it doesn't apply when a player is looking to do better for himself, either.

It's business. Nothing more and nothing less.

I've expressed what I think Revis should do, and it's pretty close top what you think, but you completely ignored that to argue your inapplicable morality case. You specifically said he has no right to hold out, and I said he has every right - even though I think it's in his best interests not to.

I know what you said you think he should do, but at the same time you're putting a lot of effort into trying to defend Revis if he were to do the exact opposite and hold out (which we don't even know if he will). The truth is, Revis hasn't come close to playing up to the amount of money he's received over these past two years, which at least in part has to do with the fact that the big bonus he received was designed to account for four years worth of play, not two, which is what the problem comes down to. The Jets have already paid a significant amount of money, and he had accepted that money, associated with his playing for the upcoming two seasons. You can make any excuses you want, but when he accepted that up front money, he accepted the terms that came along with it, and whether or not the NFL allows it, his refusal to honor it doesn't automatically make it acceptable behavior. There is a lot of dirty, back-handed things people can do in business that are perfectly legal, and try as you might to say otherwise, the fact that they are legal doesn't make them even slightly justified or the people who do them any less scummy. The "business" line is just one more excuse for the growing frequency of people trying to avoid having to take any responsibility for their own actions.

You can try to paint the teams and owners out as villains as much as you like, but when they guarantee money to a player, they are required to pay it regardless of the circumstances, even when the player in question comes nowhere close to earning that money. If they cut a player, that player still keeps all of the up front money associated with seasons they never even played. Like it or not, the NFL and it's teams respect that part of the contracts, and yet Revis absolutely refuses to do so. That is the whole entire offset of NFL contracts, and yet Revis is giving teams every reason in the world to not trust a player like him with that benefit any longer, as he clearly can't be trusted with a single penny he hasn't yet earned.

What makes this whole situation even worse is that at least last time around, people could argue that Revis was underpaid which is why they supported his holdout, but there is literally NO basis for that this time around. He's come nowhere close to earning that $32 million he's received over these past two years, and there's not an argument that could possibly made to say otherwise.

lol, slats sounds anything but a hippy with his stances. He's pro money.

Based on other conversations outside of this thread, he's definitely a hippy. But beyond that, if you really look deeper into his stances, it definitely fits. The entire concept is that the NFL teams and owners are nothing but pure evil so that anything that anyone does that goes against them is automatically completely justified and acceptable.

Sure. Look, at the end of the day, he can do what he wants. If that's what he think is the best decision for him, then who am I to say differently. Doesnt change the fact that anyone that is going to investment money with him moving forward might think twice about forming that partnership because of his penchant for breaking contracts and squeezing the most he can out of his partners.

Personally, I think its a poor way of doing business that might have repercussions down the road. That's all I'm saying.

As far as holdouts ruining thier name, I cant remember but a couple of names of holdouts over all the years I have been a fan of pro sports. If Sean Gilbert wants me to back him and his Slap Yo Momma's Fried Chicken Stand, I would do it in a heartbeat if I thought it was a good investment. I wouldnt say "heyyyyy, didnt you hold out back in the day for more money when you put your health on the line for all those years? Gimme mah moneh back!"

As far as Sapp losing all his money, being in the tampa area, I have heard numerous peeps talk about how much of an ahole he is to the average joe. he is an ahole and prolly got what he deserved. If Revis is smart he will have a nice pile of money to sleep on at night. the same goes for Brunell. He wasnt smart with his money and now he will work like us after he has lived his dream as an NFL QB. I wont cry for him or anyone else that got paid to pay the game they love and now have to have a 9-5.

@ BG- I had a nice post firing off to you but it apparently got lost on the interwebs....to sum it up, i was comparing apples to apples since i was viewing Revis' contract as a 2 year deal. Cro is a legit 4 year deal. on damn near every contract i will look at the total paid divided by the years of the contract but in some cases that doesnt make sense since there is no intent of playing those last years @ 1M. You see/saw it in hockey more but may see it in the NFL depending on how it is viewed in the future.

I hope you are right that Revis plays at 6-7M per year but I dont see it happening but like I said, pride be damned, I hope you are right. maybe that holdout clause will work??????

Yeah, JN is certainly having some issues today.

I guess my point is that outside of Revis wanting to do so, there's no basis for just splitting Revis' contract up in two and saying everything he's received on this contract prior to today no longer counts towards his total contract value, while it does for every other NFL player. When looking at yearly contract values, bonuses play a very big part of that for every player, Revis included, and that doesn't change just because he already has that money and doesn't want to respect the terms he was paid it under. That's only compounded by the fact that there's not a single argument that has been, or can be, made by anyone to say that Revis has earned $32 million dollars with his play these past two seasons.

last year the Jets were on national TV on the anniversary of 9-11 and Revis iced the game with a late INT of Romo.

that's why he's worth the money. HE literally wins big games.

Week 1 of an 8-8 season is not a big game. Revis doesn't get that INT and what are the Jets? 7-9 and missing the playoffs, just as they did at 8-8.

The Jets have gone 4-12 with Revis, and 8-8. They've gone 9-7 twice with him and 11-5 for a total winning percentage of 41-39 (.512). Revis is the best CB in the NFL, being paid as the best CB in the NFL, but the Jets are still just about a .500 team with him. The reason being is that CB is not a priority position when it comes to the all important W-L column.

Jets can pay him more to keep him happy (again, he's the highest paid right now), but they're not getting closer to a SB because of him.

Week 1 of an 8-8 season is not a big game. Revis doesn't get that INT and what are the Jets? 7-9 and missing the playoffs, just as they did at 8-8.

The Jets have gone 4-12 with Revis, and 8-8. They've gone 9-7 twice with him and 11-5 for a total winning percentage of 41-39 (.512). Revis is the best CB in the NFL, being paid as the best CB in the NFL, but the Jets are still just about a .500 team with him. The reason being is that CB is not a priority position when it comes to the all important W-L column.

Jets can pay him more to keep him happy (again, he's the highest paid right now), but they're not getting closer to a SB because of him.

Oh my someone gets it!! jets are never winning a SB cause of revis, as long as Sanchez is still QB

As far as holdouts ruining thier name, I cant remember but a couple of names of holdouts over all the years I have been a fan of pro sports. If Sean Gilbert wants me to back him and his Slap Yo Momma's Fried Chicken Stand, I would do it in a heartbeat if I thought it was a good investment. I wouldnt say "heyyyyy, didnt you hold out back in the day for more money when you put your health on the line for all those years? Gimme mah moneh back!"

As far as Sapp losing all his money, being in the tampa area, I have heard numerous peeps talk about how much of an ahole he is to the average joe. he is an ahole and prolly got what he deserved. If Revis is smart he will have a nice pile of money to sleep on at night. the same goes for Brunell. He wasnt smart with his money and now he will work like us after he has lived his dream as an NFL QB. I wont cry for him or anyone else that got paid to pay the game they love and now have to have a 9-5.

sh*t happens that are out of our control all the time. I'm just sayin, you never know and neither does Revis.

Hey, whatever man. Its all good. We are clearly different. I work for a consulting firm. I have consultants that I bill out to my clients and negotiate contracts with both parties daily. Those who try to strong arm me for a raise for no reason after recently agreeing to the terms of the initial contract and threaten to leave or not show up to work...I fire them and we dont work with them again because they've proven to be an unreliable resource that isnt good for their word. Unfortunately for them, they burned bridges with the largest consulting firm of our kind in the country.

The only one turning this into a media circus is...the media. He was at a charity event and was asked questions about his contract. From all indications, the media was persistent in asking him about his contract...at a charity event. He basically said that he was busy getting ready for the season and he wasn't going to say whether he was going to hold out or not and his agents were going to advise him on what's best for him. The media just isn't letting it die because they know how fragile some Jets' fans are and some of them (Cimini) like to stir sh*t up whenever they can.

The media has most of you wrapped around their collective fingers and you're following along like Lemmings. Congratulations.

I definitely agree with this, despite my arguing with some on the topic. I have no issue with Revis over this as of right now, because he hasn't done anything. At this point, the argument is only over "what ifs", and my issue is not with Revis, but rather with the fact that as soon as the possibility came up, some felt the need to run to defend and justify this potential behavior before he's even done anything. Frankly, I think there is absolutely no justification for that whatsoever, and hopefully Revis sees it the same way. We'll have to wait and see.

The funny thing is a strong argument can be made against him even being the best in the league, at least based on his play these past two seasons. He's still living off the hype of his 2009 season, but his last two seasons have been nowhere close to the same. He showed up completely out of shape in 2010, played like crap to start the season, got an injury directly related to his poor conditioning, came back and had more issues with his play before finally turning it on late in the year. Then last year, he started off hot before having a MAJOR drop in play over the second half of the season. If you actually look at the numbers, Cromartie was more successful in coverage in the latter half of the year than Revis. Don't get me wrong, the guy is still a great player and absolutely has the ability to be the best if he consistently plays up to his potential, but he hasn't done that since three years ago.

What makes this whole situation even worse is that at least last time around, people could argue that Revis was underpaid which is why they supported his holdout, but there is literally NO basis for that this time around. He's come nowhere close to earning that $32 million he's received over these past two years, and there's not an argument that could possibly made to say otherwise.

I'm not supporting his potential holdout. I think it's a bad idea at this time, and that he will have much more leverage if he simply focuses on his play right now and comes back and threatens to sit out next season. That's the way I'd suggest he play it.

You seem to be upset because you can't control the man. How dare he demand more money! I'm sure he cares about winning, and being the best, and maybe getting into the HoF someday, but his mindset -when it comes to being the best- is that he wants to be paid like the best - at all times. You can paint that any way you like, but that clearly seems to be his personal barometer for success. There's a lot of ego involved here, no doubt. I think the money is more representative of where he sees himself in his career than it is simply greed.

And no matter how much you want to argue some point of ethics, the fact is simply that the market will decide whether Revis has any basis for holding out. My guess is that the market will reward him. If he holds out and gets paid, then there's really no rational argument you can make against him making the move.

When you see the Jets on Hard Knocks and watch Tannenbaum force a guy like Kellen Clemens to take a pay cut knowing that the guy has no choice but to swallow it, I definitely get a kick out of a player doing the same right back to him. Not gonna lie.

You seem to be upset because you can't control the man. How dare he demand more money!

Oh stop. My issue is simple, I'm a fan of the NY Jets and not the NY Revis'. At this point he hasn't done anything, so I'm not really going to worry about it. Although that doesn't mean I can't argue with those of you I disagree with about the potential for a holdout while bored at work.

I'm sure he cares about winning, and being the best, and maybe getting into the HoF someday, but his mindset -when it comes to being the best- is that he wants to be paid like the best - at all times. You can paint that any way you like, but that clearly seems to be his personal barometer for success. There's a lot of ego involved here, no doubt. I think the money is more representative of where he sees himself in his career than it is simply greed.

And no matter how much you want to argue some point of ethics, the fact is simply that the market will decide whether Revis has any basis for holding out. My guess is that the market will reward him. If he holds out and gets paid, then there's really no rational argument you can make against him making the move.

When you see the Jets on Hard Knocks and watch Tannenbaum force a guy like Kellen Clemens to take a pay cut knowing that the guy has no choice but to swallow it, I definitely get a kick out of a player doing the same right back to him. Not gonna lie.

I know you took issue with this before, but I really don't see how your stance isn't "the ends justify the means", because you keep repeating that if he gets paid then there's no issue that can be taken with anything he's done. It really seems like this is nothing more than your anti-establishment attitude kicking through and liking to see someone "take it to the man" regardless of if there is any legitimacy behind this individual stance. The guy is already the highest paid at his position and has come nowhere close to earning the money he's received over the past two years. There's plenty of people who ultimately get rewarded for some really scummy a$$ behavior, but that still doesn't change the true nature of the behavior of any of those people. If Revis decides to hold out again this year, there's a good chance he'll be one of them, but that doesn't make it right.

Week 1 of an 8-8 season is not a big game.

first off they are all big games. But especially a primetime home season opener on national TV with no other games being played at the time.

also we didn't know what the season would hold at the time. If the Jets beat the Giants on xmas eve, who knows what happens? maybe THEY get hot and win the Super Bowl. keep in mind the jets were leading 10-0 before the Cruz TD.

There's plenty of people who ultimately get rewarded for some really scummy a$$ behavior, but that still doesn't change the true nature of the behavior of any of those people. If Revis decides to hold out again this year, there's a good chance he'll be one of them, but that doesn't make it right.

Business Ethics is itself an oxymoron, but it's even more ridiculous when it comes to NFL contracts.

I've got no problem with scumbag on scumbag crime, and root for the little scumbag when those situations come about. :)

Why are so many bashing on Revis for asking what he deserves? Have you all forgetten that Sanchez is getting paid more money after his worst season yet? The FO needs to play their own version of Robin Hood: take from the 6 and give to the 24.

The only thing the Jets were good at last season was defending the pass, and it had nothing to do with getting pressure on the QB. A huge, huge chunk of that is Revis (and Cromartie, who has come a long way). But opposing teams test Cromartie. They rarely test Revis.

The bottom line is that going forward with Revis, at least at this point, is a better choice than going forward without him. And if the Jets don't pay him, some other team will. Might as well pay him. Nobody else is anywhere even close to him in skill or ability - not Asomugha, not anyone. You keep him if you can.

This is all moot anyway. He hasn't held out yet.

first off they are all big games. But especially a primetime home season opener on national TV with no other games being played at the time.

also we didn't know what the season would hold at the time. If the Jets beat the Giants on xmas eve, who knows what happens? maybe THEY get hot and win the Super Bowl. keep in mind the jets were leading 10-0 before the Cruz TD.

What if the Jets beat the Giants? Are you saying the Jets-Giant game was a "big game"? What did Revis do in that game to win it?

That was your point about, Revis, right, that he wins big games?

What if the Jets beat the Giants? Are you saying the Jets-Giant game was a "big game"? What did Revis do in that game to win it?

I thought Revis was the best player on the field during the Jets/Giants game.

Why are so many bashing on Revis for asking what he deserves? Have you all forgetten that Sanchez is getting paid more money after his worst season yet? The FO needs to play their own version of Robin Hood: take from the 6 and give to the 24.

Yeah but Sanchez suffers from having no skill players, a bad line and other stuff too. Revis is just a slouch.

Trade him to Vikings for #3 overall, plus next year's 1st, and a couple mid-rounders, then get Asante Samuel from Philly for a 4th. Select Trent Richardson this year, then Ingram, Coples or Floyd with #16.

Move on.

I agree. Toss him to the NFC's highest bidder.

This is ridiculous. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to go back to the days where we suck every year...Our offense is weak, and the only reason we are competitive is because our defense; trading the best player on the defense will likely cost us atleast two games a year...Give this man a 7 year deal and be done with it. What prevents this man from being the best FS in football after he loses a step?

It's always media driven. Why anyone gives them the time of day on their "opinions" and "fluffy off-season" peices is beyond me. Personally, I think most sports media suck out loud.

Crap, not only do I agree with you, I gave you rep. The world really is going to end in 2012.

I never said he won all the games. but rumor has it Revis was playing hurt the 2nd half of the year. (knee)

I never said he won all the games. but rumor has it Revis was playing hurt the 2nd half of the year. (knee)

So Revis should give the Jets a discount on the 2nd half of the year because they were paying him as the best CB in the NFL, but he wasn't that then.

Archived