**** this guy

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as far as I understand it, he can't hold out. They would own his contract until 2016.

While true, why can't he hold out? If he's holding out, he's not playing.... so eventually they'll cave. So if he holds out an entire year, their cap situation is not hit as hard as it could have been, but that's the only benefit.

This is ridiculous. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to go back to the days where we suck every year...Our offense is weak, and the only reason we are competitive is because our defense; trading the best player on the defense will likely cost us atleast two games a year...Give this man a 7 year deal and be done with it. What prevents this man from being the best FS in football after he loses a step?

I think even Revis' biggest defenders would have to admit that giving him a 7-year deal would be absolute insanity at this point, assuming he were to hold out again this year. In that case, he could never be trusted to actually honor it. The longer the deal, the more money the team is going to have to lay out up front, and in the case of Revis, that's money he can't be trusted to ever earn. A holdout will all but guarantee Revis never receives another long-term deal from anyone for the rest of his career (and I doubt Revis is unaware of that, or has a problem with that).

While true, why can't he hold out? If he's holding out, he's not playing.... so eventually they'll cave. So if he holds out an entire year, their cap situation is not hit as hard as it could have been, but that's the only benefit.

The idea is Revis' contract is built to try to deter him from holding out, as if he does it will tack 3 years onto the deal, so some are saying that he won't do it because of that. Frankly, I think those people are delusional. If Revis was willing to hold out with 3 years left on his last deal, I don't see why anyone thinks he'll be worried about how many years will be left on this one if he chooses to hold out. None of this is to say he will hold out, just that I don't think that clause in his contract will have any impact one way or the other on his decision.

I'm not supporting his potential holdout. I think it's a bad idea at this time, and that he will have much more leverage if he simply focuses on his play right now and comes back and threatens to sit out next season. That's the way I'd suggest he play it.

You seem to be upset because you can't control the man. How dare he demand more money! I'm sure he cares about winning, and being the best, and maybe getting into the HoF someday, but his mindset -when it comes to being the best- is that he wants to be paid like the best - at all times. You can paint that any way you like, but that clearly seems to be his personal barometer for success. There's a lot of ego involved here, no doubt. I think the money is more representative of where he sees himself in his career than it is simply greed.

And no matter how much you want to argue some point of ethics, the fact is simply that the market will decide whether Revis has any basis for holding out. My guess is that the market will reward him. If he holds out and gets paid, then there's really no rational argument you can make against him making the move.

When you see the Jets on Hard Knocks and watch Tannenbaum force a guy like Kellen Clemens to take a pay cut knowing that the guy has no choice but to swallow it, I definitely get a kick out of a player doing the same right back to him. Not gonna lie.

Let's not make him out to be Guy Fawkes either slats. for Ch***ts sake..

His peers think he is currently the 8th best PLAYER, 4th best defensive player, and the best CB in the league. Rex thinks he will go down as the greatest player to ever wear a Jets uni. He has all the ammo he needs to justify being paid for what he thinks he is worth. In business, you are worth what you can convince people to pay you. Period.

http://youtu.be/zKumn4GNnFQ

That's all fine and good. But have you ever played one of those fantasy football games where you get a salary cap and create the best team possible? This is a lot what that's like. Is one player, especially one who doesn't sack the QB or score points, worth the percentage your going to give him and the sacrifices you have to make elsewhere to keep him on your team.

He's a CB... I'm not so sure.

Let's not make him out to be Guy Fawkes either slats. for Ch***ts sake..

Ah... You clearly broke the code and saw that I was advocating the bombing of Florham Park. Have to be more careful around you...

That's all fine and good. But have you ever played one of those fantasy football games where you get a salary cap and create the best team possible? This is a lot what that's like. Is one player, especially one who doesn't sack the QB or score points, worth the percentage your going to give him and the sacrifices you have to make elsewhere to keep him on your team. He's a CB... I'm not so sure.

Revis isn't and that's the problem because of the nature of his position. Assume he is the best CB in the NFL. Heck, assume he's the best CB in history, and that still won't justify paying him the percentage of the salary cap he seeks because his position does not have that great of an impact on W/Ls.

Or look at it this way--salaries aside, would the Giants trade JPP straight up for Revis?

Would any GM make that trade?

Revis isn't and that's the problem because of the nature of his position. Assume he is the best CB in the NFL. Heck, assume he's the best CB in history, and that still won't justify paying him the percentage of the salary cap he seeks because his position does not have that great of an impact on W/Ls.

Or look at it this way--salaries aside, would the Giants trade JPP straight up for Revis?

You mean any GM other than Tanny? :-P

The way he plays CB does have a great impact on the defense we play and I beleive has a big impact on our wins and losses. It enables Rex to match him on the opponents best receiver and play a 10 vs 10 game against the opposing team without their number 1 receiving threat. that is a huge disadvantage for the offense and a big plus for our D. Even though some of you are saying that he didnt play as well at times over the past 2 seasons, this is still the defense we featured or maybe we went to Revis singled out on their #2 threat with us doubling the #1. Point being, only Revis and Deion get put in this category of making it a 10 vs 10 game not many others and you can say that his worth is more than whoever he is lined up against on that sunday. The reason I say more because not only is he shutting down the offenses #1 but he forces the offense to go away from thier strength and find a 2nd "best option" against us.

The way he plays CB does have a great impact on the defense we play and I beleive has a big impact on our wins and losses. It enables Rex to match him on the opponents best receiver and play a 10 vs 10 game against the opposing team without their number 1 receiving threat. that is a huge disadvantage for the offense and a big plus for our D. Even though some of you are saying that he didnt play as well at times over the past 2 seasons, this is still the defense we featured or maybe we went to Revis singled out on their #2 threat with us doubling the #1. Point being, only Revis and Deion get put in this category of making it a 10 vs 10 game not many others and you can say that his worth is more than whoever he is lined up against on that sunday. The reason I say more because not only is he shutting down the offenses #1 but he forces the offense to go away from thier strength and find a 2nd "best option" against us.

I agree with your assessment of what Revis means to Rex's scheme as he has schemed it around Revis' talent, but the fact remains that the Jets are 41-39 in the Revis Era. If Revis had such a big impact on wins and loses as you say, do you believe that the Jets would have a losing record every year without him? They had 1 his rookie year of 2007.

Personally, I think Rex is a defensive genius and if he didn't have Revis he'd devise a scheme to still be top 10 every year.

@ SMC--absolutely, I am confident that Rex would use whatever talents he has on that side of the ball to their best ability. As for our overall record since Revis became a Jet, what can I say? is it a waste of talent by the organization? Maybe it would be best to ship him to the NFC for multiple talented players instead of having 1 ultra talented player. Maybe then we win more games during the regular season but even if it does, does that help us win a SB? In the playoffs his record is 4-2 if i remember correctly and that is pretty good. I will say this, with Revis we know we have teh best CB in the game, if we trade him, are we that sure of what we are getting in return? You mentioned JPP earlier, is JPP that good without Tuck and Osi? I would think yes, but it is not a given like plugging Revis in at CB on a different team. My $0.02.

I like the way you dream about Jets trades. Samuel for the fourth would be highway robbery That said, there's a lack of Mark Barron.

Just FYI ---

The Atlanta Falcons acquired Philadelphia Eagles Pro-Bowl cornerback Asante Samuel for a late-round pick, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday.

Once again, Ape > Cat. :P

Archived