Who are you hoping the Jets DON'T draft.

hotcoles87

Every year there are a handful of players I'm praying the Jets don't draft. Over the last few years it was Bobby Carpenter and Matt Leinart, Adam Carriker, Chad Henne and Verson Gholston (thought he would be good, but injury prone) Josh Freeman, last year it was Adrian Clayborn and Corey Luiget.

This year, there are not that many guys I want to avoid, but there are basically 2 in the first round I really don't want.

#1 - Quinton Coples. Obvious concerns about his motor are the #1 problem for me. Besides this, I don't really see how he fits into our system. He's a 4-3 DT or DE, yet Rex is considering him at OLB? His agility numbers were extremely slow. 7.57 3 cone and 4.78 short shuttle. That's slow even for a 350lb Guard and this guy is supposed to play OLB? Fletcher Cox for example had a 7.07 3 cone and 4.53 shuttle, and he's a DT.

#2 - Michael Floyd. I don't have as much concern about his ability, but I don't want him for 3 reasons. #1 - I don't want to invest such a high draft pick on a WR. We will not get the full value out of him for obvious reasons. #2 - Injury concerns. Tore up the knee, and broke the collarbone. #3 - Character concerns. Two Alcohol arrests already? For some reason WR's have been causing problems all over the NFL, and I feel like with the high percentage of run plays, and shaky QB play, we need a WR who is NOT going to cry for the ball, who is not going to cause problems in the locker room, and will work hard to improve. I'd rather a less talented, high character guy in the later rounds.

I'm not looking for a debate on these guys-- I'm actually open for reasons why I'm wrong, because there is a good chance I will end up having to love one of these guys.

Let me know your thoughts, and throw in a few of your own players you want to avoid.

Happy Draft Day!

I like Coples. I think Rex knows what he's doing and how to use him, and reports show that Coples really liked the facility and conversation with Jets people. I understand the concerns on his motor but I think once he is in the NFL and playing against premier talent he will up into that extra gear and make an impact. I'm not sure if he can have an immediate great impact but definitely someone that by year two, has the ability and just plain body type to produce like Pierre Paul did his second year. This is pending he reaches his potential, but I just dont see how he can NOT.

I'm with you on Floyd, the WR class is packed with great players and theres no need to pick him at 16 or under in my eyes. Not to mention his 2-3 dui's already.

Personally, I dont want to draft Ingram or at least I dont want to move up to get him. He's just not worth moving up for IMO.

Rich Cimini (I KNOW, I KNOW. He sucks) but he did report just today that he believes Jets hold T.Rich, Cox, Brockers, Barron as the top tier talents and Ingram is a tier below them. I believe this personally.

I love Cox-- not the biggest need, but he is a terror. Our DL would be set for 10 years. Brockers is a different player. Seems like less of a penetrator, but more stout. They both played against Bama this year-- it's interesting to see them both against the same opponent. Brockers was doubled on EVERY play. Barron and Richardson seem like they won't make it.

I'm with you on Ingram to an extent. I don't want to trade up for him. I would be happy with him at 16, but the concerns with him are obvious too. Every OLB prospect has pretty major flaws this year. Size, speed, injuries, experience, whatever. If ingram was in last years class, he would have probably gone in the late 1st round.

I'm praying for a trade back. Lets drop back to 24ish and draft Doug Martin!

Hey hotcoles...What am I? Chop Liver?

Ha! I hit send, and then there you were!

Sorry about that. I do this so I don't end up hating our picks. I came around on others already- Brockers, Chandler Jones, Upshaw were all guys I wanted to avoid a few weeks back, but I'd be ok with them.

... ingram - yes ...

... jones - no ...

l_j_r

I hear you with Jones-- I wouldn't be thrilled with him at 16 etiher, but I wouldn't be overly disappointed either. I read an article today saying why he's going to be a good pro. Things like hand usage, and a variety of pass rush moves are reasons why the guru's think he's going to be a good pro. These are things that the average fan doesn't really see, or look for in an evaluation. It's easy to watch Courtney Upshaw bull rush a tackle and get a sack, but these scouts look at things much differently than you and I. I watched Jones, and saw a good player with a good build and decent measurables. These guys see something totally different apparently. He's very smart, and has high character, which is much needed on this team, so for that alone, he gets moved up to me. If we could trade back and still land him, I'd be happy. I'd still rather have Nick Perry though :)

No Ingram

No Poe

Poe can sk my big dk. Guy averaged like 2.5 tackles per game against the lowest competition there is. In order to be good, he's going to need to basically double his production against players 10 times more skilled than what he's used to playing against. How in the fk is that supposed to happen?

I'd include him in my list of players I don't want to see. I only left him off because I don't think he's on our radar. I really hope I'm right about that. If we picked him in round 2 I might not be happy about it.

Archived