Draft Day Thread (Day Two)

Maxman

Every RT on our roster.. Kidding aside, i would say maybe Odowd, although I'm pretty sure he was brought in to be Mangold's backup and just be a turner type player who can step in for any injuries.

In addition to him, by all accounts it sounds like the team is in love with Schlauderaff. Seems like he's already seen as the heir apparent to Moore.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That blows. Who are our developmental OL types?

(Waits for heaping plate of sarcasm with side of pork fried rice.)

Kris O'Dowd is the most talented with the caveat that he's been the most injured...Baxter...Vlad...Caleb S...Who am I forgetting?

O'Dowd would have been an elite C prospect had he not gotten the injury bug late in his college career. Has the best size after Vlad...

Looks like the Pats are just going to steal the Giants' model, drafting a bunch of 260 lb. pass rushers to hide their secondary problems. Jones, Hightower and Bequette. Who know if Jones pans out (and Belichick actually drafts pretty sh*ttily), but it looks like there's a philosophical shift going on there. If they switch to an attacking 4-3, that could be problems.

Looks like the Pats are just going to steal the Giants' model, drafting a bunch of 260 lb. pass rushers to hide their secondary problems. Jones, Hightower and Bequette. Who know if Jones pans out (and Belichick actually drafts pretty sh*ttily), but it looks like there's a philosophical shift going on there. If they switch to an attacking 4-3, that could be problems.

The ground & pound is immune to any pass rush.

That blows. Who are our developmental OL types?

(Waits for heaping plate of sarcasm with side of pork fried rice.)

Rumor is this guy will compete for the RT job:

Austin Howard  

#77 T

New York Jets | Official Team Site

Height: 6-7   Weight: 333   Age: 25

Born: 3/22/1987 Davenport , IA

College: Northern Iowa

Experience: 2nd season

High School: Central HS [Davenport, IA]

Kris O'Dowd is the most talented with the caveat that he's been the most injured...Baxter...Vlad...Caleb S...Who am I forgetting?

O'Dowd would have been an elite C prospect had he not gotten the injury bug late in his college career. Has the best size after Vlad...

This organization is banking on Sparano (obviously) and maybe there is something we don't know about with Hunter. He had a great stretch in 2010 filling in for Woody so was there some lingering injury? Maybe there were changes schematically? Or Tony sees something in Vlad.

I would find it VERY hard to believe that Rex and Mike didn't realize our Oline needed/needs to be addressed.

I have a problem with the Jets FA approach, but not their draft approach. Coples and Hill were good value picks for us at positions of need. I think they may have screwed the pooch a little with Davis, but if they didn't love any of the other prospects as much, I can live with it.

If the rationale was "Davis is better than any other prospect available" I can live with it. If it was "Tackle isn't a need cause I like what we have competing for the spot now." Then i'd be worried.

Still no clue why they didn't try to get a guard or a tackle in FA.

I have a problem with the Jets FA approach, but not their draft approach. Coples and Hill were good value picks for us at positions of need. I think they may have screwed the pooch a little with Davis, but if they didn't love any of the other prospects as much, I can live with it.

If the rationale was "Davis is better than any other prospect available" I can live with it. If it was "Tackle isn't a need cause I like what we have competing for the spot now." Then i'd be worried.

everyone and their brother knew Jills were takin OL in 2rd rd, to move ahead of them to take Glenn would have been a heist. and the rest of draft could be devoted to risk /reward picks.

Tanny has no effen clue. And Yes he tried to shop Sanchez yesterday so i retract a bit he has a little clue lol

@incarceratedbob

#IBN On the money again.. (3 weeks ago we reported Mark Sanchez was available) now confirmation comes in from a NFL Exec in NFC! #TebowTime

That Sanchez stuff if such a crock of sh*t, it would make NO sense whatsoever for us to be shopping him. There's no viable alternate outside of Tebow, and if they ever had an intention of him being the immediate starter he wouldn't have been immediately announced as the backup.

everyone and their brother knew Jills were takin OL in 2rd rd, to move ahead of them to take Glenn would have been a heist. and the rest of draft could be devoted to risk /reward picks.

Tanny has no effen clue. And Yes he tried to shop Sanchez yesterday so i retract a bit he has a little clue lol

@incarceratedbob

#IBN On the money again.. (3 weeks ago we reported Mark Sanchez was available) now confirmation comes in from a NFL Exec in NFC! #TebowTime

Still smoking that strong sh*t I see...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brandon Taylor to the Jets rumors were more of the same sort of stuff that the Melvin Ingram to the Jets rumors were: BS and/or misinformation.

You'd think that after working with Ed Reed that safety would be more important to Rex, but since he arrived here it seems like more of an afterthought. Meanwhile, Bart Scott was the most important FA of his rookie year as a head coach, and the Jets drafted his off the radar replacement in the third.

As for the OL, I think they believe they can coach up what they've got, and that they haven't given up on Ducasse or Hunter yet the way the fans have.

But yeah, I think we'll see some sort of mix of OL, S, K/P, RB, and QB over the last two rounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brandon Taylor to the Jets rumors were more of the same sort of stuff that the Melvin Ingram to the Jets rumors were: BS and/or misinformation.

You'd think that after working with Ed Reed that safety would be more important to Rex, but since he arrived here it seems like more of an afterthought. Meanwhile, Bart Scott was the most important FA of his rookie year as a head coach, and the Jets drafted his off the radar replacement in the third.

As for the OL, I think they believe they can coach up what they've got, and that they haven't given up on Ducasse or Hunter yet the way the fans have.

But yeah, I think we'll see some sort of mix of OL, S, K/P, RB, and QB over the last two rounds.

The rumor is they might have traded up for Barron if he got past 10...Not sure if I buy it, but it would not be shocking if they loved Barron as a prospect.

Pauline said that Taylor was almost purely an in the box guy despite being a CB in HS or w/e...Think Taylor was getting slightly overrated towards the end...He was great value when he was kind of a secret with a 4-5 round grade...crappy safety class pushed him up to the 2-3 range.

Agreed that they might want to just coach up what they have on the OL.

True. However, I would rather use a flier on someone with talent and headcase as opposed to taking one on someone who has little talent and smart. The odds of any of those players in the later rounds panning out is low to begin with, I just think he has better odds of panning out than some others. The talent is there, just needs someone to get through to him. That aving been said, we don't know Davis is going to pan out and with Scott on his way out and Bellore and Muaga not world-beaters, I don't think it would hurt to take a flier on him, although I do admit the redundancy.

Yeah, in general I agree. At the same time I think you can take shots on small school tools guys late also, so that could be a way to accomplish the same thing and give a different position a look. Offensive line, corner, tight end, safety, and outside linebacker could all obviously use more depth I think more than ILB.

Plus some guys are bound to slip too and it's certainly possible to find late round contributors at backup TE, safety, and on the OL. And you can take tools guys at corner and safety and try to develop them. Depends who falls too, there's a long way to the next pick.

Archived