Mehta: Jets Tried Trading Down When They Were On The Clock

RutgersJetFan

Soooooo the whole 'Rex promised me' thing is kind of looking not so good today...

Manish Mehta

‏ @TheJetsStream

Follow

I've been told the #Jets were, indeed, looking to trade down last night. (Quinton Coples was highest rated player left on their board) #nyj

http://profootballta...thursday-night/

Quinton Coples might have known all along that the Jets were going to take him with the 16th pick of the first round, but it seems the Jets were a little less sure.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the team was trying to trade down before picking Coples. That doesn’t mean they don’t like Coples, who was reportedly the highest rated player left on their board when their pick came along, but it might mean they thought they could get him a little later while also adding to their stockpile of picks. Mehta also reports that Melvin Ingram, who was thought to be of interest to the Jets and wound up going to the Chargers, had a low first-round grade from the team.

The Jets plan to use Coples as a hand in the ground defensive end. Rex Ryan threw around some comparisons to the way they used Shaun Ellis and that kind of production would certainly work well for the Jets defense.

As for the second round, Mehta hears that the Jets aren’t going to be targeting any position in particular for their pick. Wide receiver, offensive line and more help for the front seven are all possibilities.

He's also reporting that Ingram actually had a low-first grade from us. Meaning the leaks were failed attempts at blatant disinformation all week.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think that's obvious (looking to trade down).. I think us and ST louis were the only teams that used almost all the clock.. at one point the commish was about 3 picks behind they were coming so quick

My read on situation is that they liked Coples best, but not so much more then Ingram/Jones/Whomever, that they would pass up an extra third or fourth roudner to get him, instead of any 1 of them

Who really cares at this point?

I do. I think my own excitement over the pick would be influenced by how strongly the Jets desired him over other players. I'm not a scout.

Personally I'm glad we stayed put and took the bigger guy, but it's interesting anyway

They also may have been looking to trade back 2-5 slots thinking they might still be able to get Coples.

Exactly.

I am sure, with all the activity going on, every team was fielding calls in terms of trading back. That does not really mean much.

At the end of the day, the Jets will be judged on the pick they made, not what other decisions were at their disposal.

For Rex's sake, I hope he has a good feel for the kid. They could have gone the "safe" pick, but chose to pick a guy they feel has upside to that.

I do. I think my own excitement over the pick would be influenced by how strongly the Jets desired him over other players. I'm not a scout.

Personally I'm glad we stayed put and took the bigger guy, but it's interesting anyway

They obviously desired him over other options/picks. They picked him.

I've seen mixed reviews on the pick. Coples is faster than our average DE. Maybe the Jets envision him as a better version of Bryan Thomas, a guy who could switch between DE and OLB regularly. Not sure if this is what the Jets really needed. Wilkerson, in my opinion, had a good rookie season and will become a good, consistent DE. DeVito is, well, slighly above mediocre (I don't know what to call the space between okay and good). I felt they could have used a short safety, even though Dr. Dre had already been selected. Has Markelle Martin been picked yet (I have to admit, I didni't really keep uip with the draft?) If not, if he's available, the Jets should grab him.

They must have been shocked Seattle took Irvin

Yeah, and this douche at ESPN after Irvin was picked made this dude out to be an absolute f'ing gangsta. Im listening to dude, I forget his name, and im like "what the heck does this have to do with football"? Many of these guys have flaky pasts.

Aaaaand we have a winner.

If that was the case, you would think they would have actually moved back, and regrouped.

1. We know they liked Coples

2. They had the conviction to make him the choice at that spot

3. We know Tannenbaum likes to have the word "smart move" associated with him as often as possible. If he did not like Coples so much, and had offers, I would think he would have pulled the trigger.

Yeah, and this douche at ESPN after Irvin was picked made this dude out to be an absolute f'ing gangsta. Im listening to dude, I forget his name, and im like "what the heck does this have to do with football"? Many of these guys have flaky pasts.

It sounded pretty shady to me. You don't hire people at millions of dollars a year, who you think may ultimately have character issues that don't make him a smart investment.

WVU is not the producer of the highest integrity football players

If Coples was the higgest rated player left on their board than trading down would make sense because they could have easily got him in the 2nd round. At that point why would the JETS be even looking for even value back in trading down. Accumulate as many draft picks as you can.

"easily" gotten him in the 2nd? Is this known or guaranteed?

Wasn't this obvious? It's not like they used the entire clock because they were trying to move up at that point.

I think the Jets liked Coples but were unsure about addressing the same position with two successive first round picks, so they were willing to entertain a trade back and gamble he was still around.

This is my take, exactly. Coples was #1 on their board, but didn't specifically fit a need. The hope would be to trade down, add picks, and get a value pick that better fit an immediate need.

If Coples was the higgest rated player left on their board than trading down would make sense because they could have easily got him in the 2nd round. At that point why would the JETS be even looking for even value back in trading down. Accumulate as many draft picks as you can.

Most mocks I've seen had him in the top 10, easily could've got him in the second round seems a bit of a stretch. Coples was the second pass rusher off the board, after him three of the next five picks were pass rushers. Can't imagine him lasting 'til round two.

Most mocks I've seen had him in the top 10, easily could've got him in the second round seems a bit of a stretch. Coples was the second pass rusher off the board, after him three of the next five picks were pass rushers. Can't imagine him lasting 'til round two.

There was a time when Gholston was in the top 10 too.

No one could say for sure that another team wouldn't have mucked it up without the help of a crystal ball. But given how sensitive NFL teams are to intangibles like laziness or selfish behavior or giving up on a block the probability of him lasting into the 2nd round was pretty high.

There was a time when Gholston was in the top 10 too.

No one could say for sure that another team wouldn't have mucked it up without the help of a crystal ball. But given how sensitive NFL teams are to intangibles like laziness or selfish behavior or giving up on a block the probability of him lasting into the 2nd round was pretty high.

You know, other than the fact that there is literally zero basis for this whatsoever.

i think that's obvious (looking to trade down).. I think us and ST louis were the only teams that used almost all the clock.. at one point the commish was about 3 picks behind they were coming so quick

My read on situation is that they liked Coples best, but not so much more then Ingram/Jones/Whomever, that they would pass up an extra third or fourth roudner to get him, instead of any 1 of them

This.

Plus, we picked Coples at 16. Promise kept. All that happened was Mike T pondered whether or not to break the promise... nobody cares.

Archived