Stephen Hill, OMG I'm so happy

BroadwayJ667

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im very Happy they got Hill he will be a complete WR ....At least we know early on he can block and go deep if he polishes his routes he will be a stud IMO and will be the nice complement to Holmes by opening up the field for him

Fast, tall and can block. Good pick.

I LOVE this pick. Fits perfectly with us. I'm honestly loving our draft so far. We need to address the o-line in the third but wouldn't be surprised if jets picked a RB again in the 3rd.

I wanted them to get Turbin but a 3rd may be too high for him.

Fast, tall and can block. Good pick.

Crush my wife is mad at me cause I screamed just a little when we picked Hill (scared the crap out of her lol) . I was expecting a run on a few WR's in round 2 but we got a run on OL instead and thats what made this possible

The kid fills a role, that's what's perfect about him. He can get over the top of any defense, which will help every other receiver on our team, considering last year we consistently faced defenses stacking the box and jumping our inside and short routes. He won't complain about lack of looks and it won't piss off tone from taking looks from him. Love the pick. Wanted Randle just because I'm an LSU boy, but HIll has the higher upside.

ESPNs KC Joyner had Hill rated as the #1 WR overall. If memory serves me, he had Hakeem Nicks ranked the #1 WR a few years back. Here is Hills write up...

Each wideout was ranked in the following categories: age, height, weight, 40-yard dash time, overall yards per attempt (YPA), short pass yards per attempt (SYPA), vertical yards per attempt (VYPA) and stretch vertical yards per attempt (SVYPA). (Note: Short passes are aerials thrown 10 yards or less downfield; vertical passes travel 11 or more yards; stretch verticals are thrown 20 or more yards. Each player's metrics are based on a tape review of a minimum of nine 2011 contests against BCS conference-caliber opponents.)

The players' rankings in each category were then tabulated on a 1-10 scale with the best score getting a rating of 1. The category rankings were then added up and are listed under the ranking points heading (with a lower score being better).

Now that we have the prelims out of the way, let's take a look at how the rankings turned out.

1. Stephen Hill

Birth date: May 1, 1990 (21 years old)

Height/weight: 6-foot-4, 215 pounds

40-yard dash time: 4.36

YPA: 12.0 (43 targets)

SYPA: 4.0 (13 targets)

VYPA: 15.5 (30 targets)

SVYPA: 17.2 (22 targets)

Ranking points: 27

Hill is highly rated on many draft boards, but a combination of factors puts him at the top of this ranking chart, factors including his showings in YPA (first), VYPA (second), height (first), 40 time (first) and birth date (third). There is every reason to think he could be just as explosive in the NFL as Georgia Tech predecessor Demaryius Thomas has been, but without the nagging injury issues that have held Thomas back.

Funny what a combine will do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/stephen-hill-poised-to-prove-nfl-draft-advisory-board-wrong/

Stephen Hill poised to prove NFL draft advisory board wrong

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 26, 2012, 6:57 AM EDT

AP

When Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill decided in January to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft, it would have been easy to label it a mistake: Hill caught just 49 passes in his college career while playing in an option offense that barely used the wide receivers at all.

In fact, the NFL draft advisory board told him it was a mistake: The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the NFL draft advisory board told Hill he had no chance to be selected in the first three rounds. The board is made up of personnel people who know how NFL teams view college players, and for the most part they do a pretty good job of letting players know whether they’re viewed as first-round picks, or middle-round picks, or late-round picks, or if they’re unlikely to be drafted at all.

But what the board can’t do is predict how a player is going to perform at the Scouting Combine, and when Hill put on a show as the most impressive receiver in Indianapolis, that had personnel people who had previously not paid a lot of attention to Hill going back and looking at more film, and what they saw is that Hill only caught 28 passes last season, but he averaged a whopping 29.3 yards a catch. And they saw that while it’s true that the Georgia Tech receivers don’t get a lot of passes thrown their way, when they are running pass routes they’re doing the same things that NFL receivers do. That’s what Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson said in defending Hill as a pro prospect, and that’s what Georgia Tech receivers coach Buzz Preston says.

“It kills me when they say NFL routes,” Preston said. “I look at the NFL and they’re not doing anything that we aren’t doing. They’re doing the out cut. They’re doing the oval route. They’re doing the drag. I mean, doubles moves – we do all that. It’s always funny how people talk about the NFL passing game. . . . I’m confident the young man can run any route they want him to run in the NFL.”

And Hill was confident — despite what the draft advisory board told him — that he was going to be a high draft pick. Tonight he can prove the NFL draft advisory board wrong.

I LOVE this pick. Fits perfectly with us. I'm honestly loving our draft so far. We need to address the o-line in the third but wouldn't be surprised if jets picked a RB again in the 3rd.

A RT would have been much better

Funny what a combine will do.

I know, crazy isn't it? The combine got a bunch of FO folks to get off their asses and watch some film and do a little talent evaluation. Madness I tell you.

Archived