Comparing Quinton Coples With Jason Pierre-Paul

F.Chowds

By
TONI MONKOVIC

jets75.jpg

Quinton Coples, the new Jets defensive end, has said that his game most resembles that of the Giants star Jason Pierre-Paul.

Is he right? Jene Bramel, a defensive analyst for
Footballguys.com
, wrote a series of posts on Coples — and on that comparison — at Matt Waldman’s football blog,
The Rookie Scouting Portfolio.
While duly impressed with Coples’s potential, Bramel pointed to several flaws in his technique.

Here are the links:

Quinton Coples, Part I: The Importance of Pad Level

Quinton Coples, Part II: Pad Level And The Pass Rush

Quinton Coples, Part III: Stacking Up To Jason Pierre-Paul

A few outtakes from Bramel:

Pierre-Paul demonstrates how great technique and elite athleticism are combined to generate explosive plays that can demoralize an offense.

That’s the tease with Coples. You can see flashes of physical and technical dominance on film, but there are many instances when he seems to rely on his athleticism rather than technique.

Good coaching, a strong work ethic, and film study will all help Coples reach his potential.

It may take time for Coples to overcome some of these bad habits and establish himself as a dominating presence. Pierre-Paul didn’t break out until his sophomore season. Don’t be surprised if it takes Coples a year of seasoning to do the same.

Awesome article. It may take some time. But the nice thing is our defense was already ranked 5th last year with a terrible offense not helping them out. Also the strike effected all rookies around the league. The rookies as well as Maybin did not have a full offseason with our coaches. With a full offseason I expect Wilkerson, Maybin, Ellis and maybe even Sapp to contribute even more this season. This defense is begining to look scary good.

It may take some time. But the nice thing is our defense was already ranked 5th last year with a terrible offense not helping them out. Also the strike effected all rookies around the league. The rookies as well as Maybin did not have a full offseason with our coaches. With a full offseason I expect Wilkerson, Maybin, Ellis and maybe even Sapp to contribute even more this season. This defense is begining to look scary good.

Scary good. I like what you did there. :D

This pick really didnt make much sense IMO.

He has no experience playing 3-4 DE, not to mention he's undersized for the position AND he doesnt make up for it with a great motor.

Not saying this is a non-issue but here is what he said:

On the transition from the 4-3 defense to 3-4 defense…

At North Carolina, basically we had a package where we would run a 3-4 so I’m definitely familiar with the package. We also ran (the package) at the Senior Bowl. I’m definitely familiar with the 3-4 scheme. So I’m prepared.

Interesting read. If anyone knows how to teach technique its Rex Ryan. Coples is going to be a stud.

I am with you on this...Rex gets blasted for not knowing his offensive players hate each other. That criticism is well deserved. The other side to that is this is what he does well. DLine.

This pick really didnt make much sense IMO.

He has no experience playing 3-4 DE, not to mention he's undersized for the position AND he doesnt make up for it with a great motor.

It made plenty of sense. It was great value. And they had 3-4 looks at UNC where he played both DE and OLB. Rex worked him out as a LB too. You'll see him in both position despite what Rex says today. He'll be moved all around just like anyone who has versatility in Rex's system.

Not saying this is a non-issue but here is what he said:

On the transition from the 4-3 defense to 3-4 defense…

At North Carolina, basically we had a package where we would run a 3-4 so I’m definitely familiar with the package. We also ran (the package) at the Senior Bowl. I’m definitely familiar with the 3-4 scheme. So I’m prepared.

Not to mention, he played everywhere along the D-line at NC. It really does not matter scheme wise for a guy that is already accustomed to playing inside and out. Not sure how much bulk the Jets will have him add, but he certainly has the frame to add mass. Regardless, he is just another pawn on that front seven for Rex to move around, add confusion, and wreak havoc! If Ellis can come along with his progress, and Coples is the type of day one player that we hope, the Jets D will be much improved.

I am with you on this...Rex gets blasted for not knowing his offensive players hate each other. That criticism is well deserved. The other side to that is this is what he does well. DLine.

Yeah, if their is any position that you seriously have to go Rex the benefit of the doubt on, it's the DL. It's what he has done throughout his entire career, and he's proven time and again that he's damn good at it.

I heard Bill Polian saying that teams now regularly spend ~50% of their time in the nickel now anyway, so the 3-4 v. 4-3 thing gets a little overplayed. Even with all the negative sh*t surrounding Coples, no one is saying that he's soft or backs down from contact, which was Gholston's downfall. If Coples wants to play, he'll do well here.

I heard Bill Polian saying that teams now regularly spend ~50% of their time in the nickel now anyway, so the 3-4 v. 4-3 thing gets a little overplayed. Even with all the negative sh*t surrounding Coples, no one is saying that he's soft or backs down from contact, which was Gholston's downfall. If Coples wants to play, he'll do well here.

who are you and where is tom ?

Think the Jets are thinking about more 4-man fronts. Our defense last season was stout, but seriously lacked in the speed department. Maybin and Davis are both undersized for this defense. Coples is lighter than the protypical 3-4 end.

Besides, what Tom said is actually true. We play the DB heavy packages pretty frequently. Just ask Bart Scott.

saying Coples is undersized seems like nit picking

he's not perfect. he has some technique short comings (can be corrected).

but undersized? he's legit 6'6" and wingspan like an NBA power forward.

if the Jets had taken Ingram we could have the undersized conversation

Coples is alot of things, small isn't one of em (even for a 3-4 5tech position. 5tech is more about wingspan and length than bulk).

saying Coples is undersized seems like nit picking

he's not perfect. he has some technique short comings (can be corrected).

but undersized? he's legit 6'6" and wingspan like an NBA power forward.

if the Jets had taken Ingram we could have the undersized conversation

Coples is alot of things, small isn't one of em (even for a 3-4 5tech position. 5tech is more about wingspan and length than bulk).

Someone said he was undersized? Coples is many things, but one thing that that big bastard is not, is undersized.

Dead on, if the equates to any Elite players he's built like Peppers or Mario Williams not JPP.

Coples combine measurements:

Height: 6'6"

Arm Length: 33 1/4"

Weight: 284lbs

Hands: 10 1/4"

JPP Combine measurements:

Height: 6'5"

Arm Length: 34 3/4"

Weight: 270 lbs"

Hands: 10 3/8"

Don't see why the comparison is so ludicrous. JPP's arms have 1.5 inches on Coples's arms, but Coples is more stoutly built. JPP is tons more explosive/violent, but that's partly due to technique and partly due to JPP probably being more agile than Coples.

Coples combine measurements:

Height: 6'6"

Arm Length: 33 1/4"

Weight: 284lbs

Hands: 10 1/4"

JPP Combine measurements:

Height: 6'5"

Arm Length: 34 3/4"

Weight: 270 lbs"

Hands: 10 3/8"

Don't see why the comparison is so ludicrous. JPP's arms have 1.5 inches on Coples's arms, but Coples is more stoutly built. JPP is tons more explosive/violent, but that's partly due to technique and partly due to JPP probably being more agile than Coples.

JPP is a Class Five Mutant.

Gholstons downfall was that he was stiff... not an athlete, just a weight lifter..

Archived