WR Jordan White, Western Michigan

Jetsfan80

White had off the charts production his last two seasons at Western Michigan, catching 94 passes for 1,378 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2010 and 140 catches for 1,911 yards and 17 TD’s in 2011. Not bad after having missed the 2008 season after tearing cartilage in his left knee. He also suffered from a torn ACL in his right knee in 2006.

White was a sixth year eligible player because of his injuries and will turn twenty-five in June. He possesses average height and weight at 6-0, 215 but does not have great speed, clocking in at 4.69 on his 40-yard dash at the Combine. White is a hard worker that is an excellent route runner who is not afraid to get physical at the line of scrimmage. However, he can try and get too cute at the line of scrimmage trying to shake a corner which can lead to problems trying to get downfield since he lacks the speed to make up for the lost time.

He is not afraid to go over the middle and can take a hit. He sometimes gets sloppy with the football and will lose it if hit hard enough. He will engage defenders as a blocker in the running game or when another receiver makes the catch but he doesn’t excel at it. His coaches in college raved about his work ethic, especially after serious injuries threatened his collegiate career and he worked his way back.

Nothing stands out about the way White plays the game of football. He is average in almost every aspect and yet he put up eye-popping numbers in college. His injury history and his lack of upside will mean he should be available in the seventh round or even as an undrafted free agent. When I look at White I see a slot receiver who can be a threat in the red zone or on third down.

I can see a team using a late round flyer on White just to bring him in to compete for a job. With a couple of open roster spots in the receiving corps after the departures of Mario Manningham and Devin Thomas, the Giants could be that team to take a flyer on him. With his work ethic and motor he would instantly become a fan favorite much like Wayne Chrebet was for the New York Jets in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s.

White’s upside is probably as a fourth or fifth receiver and will stick around the NFL because he does everything coaches ask of him and has huge heart and desire to play the game. However, with his ability to run routes and make the catch, I can see him sneaking his way into a number three receiver position. White could become an excellent check-down receiver for quarterback Eli Manning who has two primary targets in Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. I can see White thriving in a system like that of offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. If available, he would make a nice sixth or seventh round pick but I wouldn’t reach to draft him.

Fodder/special teams

Holmes, Hill, Schilens, Kerley are locks. This guy's competing with Payne and McKnight for Patrick Turner's spot. Best special teamer wins.

Turner can't be happy that the Jets brought in two tall WR's. That was like his only asset.

I think I would have preferred another postion. JMO.

Holmes

Hill

Kerley

Schillens

Turner

Payne

McNight

Riley

White

Good list, but production wise it'll go Holmes, Kerley, Keller, then maybe Hill. I don't expect a veteran's impact from Hill this year, but I expect Kerely to make a great sophomore step up.

Good list, but production wise it'll go Holmes, Kerley, Keller, then maybe Hill. I don't expect a veteran's impact from Hill this year, but I expect Kerely to make a great sophomore step up.

I think you're overestimating Kerley nearly as much as you're underestimating Keller. Keller was the team's #1 receiver last season, and isn't likely to drop below #2. If Schilens and Hill split the #2 job, then maybe Kerley can slip in there as 3rd in repections/production - but even that's a reach. Last year he was also behind LT, and someone has to make up his catches. I think that someone'll mostly be McKnight, who had 13 catches himself last year.

I think the only sure thing is Holmes being pissed off about not getting the ball enough.

I think you're overestimating Kerley nearly as much as you're underestimating Keller. Keller was the team's #1 receiver last season, and isn't likely to drop below #2. If Schilens and Hill split the #2 job, then maybe Kerley can slip in there as 3rd in repections/production - but even that's a reach. Last year he was also behind LT, and someone has to make up his catches. I think that someone'll mostly be McKnight, who had 13 catches himself last year.

I think the only sure thing is Holmes being pissed off about not getting the ball enough.

You could be right on all accounts. We'll see... I will say, the combination of Kerley, Hill and even what White could represent (a poor man's Hines Ward or Cotchery) is exciting. Our FO hasn't done well drafting WRs since the stretch of bringing in Keyshawn, Chrebet, Coles and Santana. So if we can start drafting and developing our own WR talent regularly, it'll go a long way towards building this team right - which means not being stuck in the forever loop of paying FA WRs their 2nd and 3rd contracts to play for us.

Agreed. I know the list looks depth chart-esque but I was really just showing that we have enough guys to play WR that I would have preferred a bigger need with that pick even if it was a project type player.

Agreed. I know the list looks depth chart-esque but I was really just showing that we have enough guys to play WR that I would have preferred a bigger need with that pick even if it was a project type player.

Accidental rep, lol. Was going to say, you can never have too much talent at WR. Like pass rusher its an area of constant need and should be invested in routinely, because other than QB, those roles are th e areas where th e teams rich with WR and pass rush, usually do the winning.

Accidental rep, lol. Was going to say, you can never have too much talent at WR. Like pass rusher its an area of constant need and should be invested in routinely, because other than QB, those roles are th e areas where th e teams rich with WR and pass rush, usually do the winning.

agreed. specially with these fancy new root trees we's getting that are designed to get first downs instead of punts

Archived