Reasons I'm now pumped for the season

Jetsfan80

The Jets NEED this pick to work because they have no #2 WR to make expendable. Thats where I feel that the jets should have taken production (jeffery) over probability (hill).

You can't coach size, and you can't coach speed. Hill brings them both to the table in a major way.

Watching video of the kid play, he makes a lot of circus catches, then drops a ball that hits him right in the hands when he's wide open. That's a painful play to watch, but it's also something the coaches can work on. The other good news, of course, is that he won't have to worry about too many perfect throws with our QBs (ba DA bump!).

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Sparano - he would not've been my hire, but I can see the logic.

The locker room problems on the Jets were all on the offensive side of the ball, and Sparano will step in and be a no nonsense coach. So that's a positive. I think one of the biggest problems with Schottenheimer is that he thought he was always the smartest guy in the room, and his offenses were highly complex and designed to either fool the opposition, or have way too many variables on every passing down. I think that's why you saw the receivers running one way, and the QB throwing the other a lot of the time. The two players read the defense differently.

I expect a more straight forward offense from Sparano. There will of course be some trickery, but there won't be so much, "if the defender does this, you do that," kind of stuff that Schotty built in. I think Sanchez, Vlad, Hill, will all benefit from that.

You can't coach size, and you can't coach speed. Hill brings them both to the table in a major way.

Watching video of the kid play, he makes a lot of circus catches, then drops a ball that hits him right in the hands when he's wide open. That's a painful play to watch, but it's also something the coaches can work on. The other good news, of course, is that he won't have to worry about too many perfect throws with our QBs (ba DA bump!).

No, you cant coach size or speed, but you can coach position, angles and route running. Besides, Jeffery is 6'3, lengthy, and has probably had more circus catches in one game than Hill has had in his career. Have you even seen this kids highlights? Also, like speed and size, you cant coach great soft hands, which Jeffery possesses and is "hands down" the best in the draft (pun intended).

Lastly, this dude isnt a snail on the field man. He's lost 20 pounds as well which will reflect in acceleration and overall speed. He's not a speed demon, but throw the ball up in one on one coverage and it wont matter.

Watch this video very carefully.

You know Jif, maybe you're on to something. I just left the Jets website where they have a new interview with Stephen Hill and I just found out that on his 9 career TD catches in college he AVERAGED almost 55 yards per TD scored his entire career. I've never heard anything like that before in my life! lol.

He's a fly route receiver. If Hill can learn to run routes, catch the ball with his hands on those routes and eliminate the drops this could be ugly dude.

That just blew my mind!

Again, I'm not making any predictions. There is risk associated. You're banking on getting something out of him he hasnt done before I get the logic. The school has been breading big play, freak athlete, WR's, who play in a run first offense. Its exactly what the offense needs.

No, you cant coach size or speed, but you can coach position, angles and route running. Besides, Jeffery is 6'3, lengthy, and has probably had more circus catches in one game than Hill has had in his career. Have you even seen this kids highlights? Also, like speed and size, you cant coach great soft hands, which Jeffery possesses and is "hands down" the best in the draft (pun intended).

Lastly, this dude isnt a snail on the field man. He's lost 20 pounds as well which will reflect in acceleration and overall speed. He's not a speed demon, but throw the ball up in one on one coverage and it wont matter.

Watch THIS video very carefully.

http://youtu.be/V0JnIatyR-Q

Not. A. Jet. Let. It. Go.

Just FYI, losing 20 lbs does NOT translate to a gain in acceleration or top end speed. It can't hurt, but it does not translate to any sort of substantial gains.

You guys are forgetting patrick turner. I'd put him ahead of schillens and white. he's more familiar with sanchez than both of them. Plus he has nice size. His hands need to get better but I dont think their worse than schillens who has been injured or white who's also been through injuries and didnt even get his feet wet in the NFL.

Anyways, I'm also optimistic but I just see so many talented team on the way up it makes me a little less optimistic. The bengals are lookin really good in my opinion and the texans are super bowl contenders in my opinion. Within our own division the bills are lookin great, their really a safety and a receiver away from being a force to be reckon with (that and maybe consistency from fitzpatrick).

Having said all this, I do like the talent on our roster and as much as i hate tebow, and I REALLY hate tebow, he will help us at least in making the other team have to prepare for more than just a regular offense. Guess we'll just wait and see

you guys are crazy if your not excited for stephen hill and your more excited for jordan white ?!?!?!?!? hill is exactly the type of guy sanchez needs a tall big target burner downfield who can make all the tough catches he might just have the best season out of all of em

1. Lose weight

2. ??????

3. Profit

I know nothing of this. You win.

Thank you. For a second I thought you were going to lie and say "hey, I've played in the NFL and I had to lose 20 lbs and nothing changed".

anyway, He lost weight because he was getting ready for the pros and that weight loss will help him. you may not think so, Cool. who cares. I wasnt complaining about his weight anyway so no need for me to make a conversation out of it.

You guys are forgetting patrick turner. I'd put him ahead of schillens and white. he's more familiar with sanchez than both of them. Plus he has nice size. His hands need to get better but I dont think their worse than schillens who has been injured or white who's also been through injuries and didnt even get his feet wet in the NFL.

Turner brings little to the table outside of size, and Hill and Schilens are each 6'4", and they're both pretty much locks to make the team. The Jets new WR coach basically recruited Chaz. He'd have to perform absolutely terribly to get cut.

The #5 has to be the standout special teamer of the rest.

The Jet offseason started in brutal fashion. No Peyton Manning, and more Mark Sanchez. Ugh, same old Jets. I even said at the time that nothing the Jets could do would make me content.

Well, as a true Jets fan, I'm going back on my word. I'm excited for the season. Three reasons why:

1. I fully expect an innovative offense. No, we can't expect much improvement from Sanchez, and no, Tebow isn't the answer at QB to be sure, at least not in a standard offense. But I'm willing to trust in Tony Sparano. At Miami, he showed an ability to beat the Jets through creative means despite a relative lack of talent. Perhaps he can maximize the abilities of our offense with his "Offense A and Offense B" type playbook.

2. Just because Sanchez is back doesn't mean that the passing game can't be better. With our intent to run the ball 35+ times a game, the best type of passing attack to pair with a heavy running attack is to go vertical through the air. The acquisiton of big and fast receivers Stephen Hill and Chaz Schillens are an attempt to do so. Joining them up with deep threat TE Keller and the enigmatic but talented Holmes could lead to success in the play-action passing game. Not to mention, if Sparano could handle (relatively) Brandon Marshall's personality, why not Santonio's?

3. The defense looks revamped. And when you have a Head Coach that can put you in the top-5 even with some marginal talent mixed in, this is big. Landry, if he stays healthy most of the season, can certainly be a game-changer. And our two rookie safeties should, hopefully, help keep Eric Smith relegated to special teams duties. We may not have brought in enough linebackers to my liking, but Dernario Davis is a start. We'll probably see a good bit of him and Maybin and a lot less of Bart Scott, which automatically makes us a bit quicker as a team. And of course, we have a true pass-rusher now in Coples, which is the most important thing of all. I love the moves we've made.

In the most part I agree with your optimism....I still think that the D has got to step up and by that I mean, if the offense gives you a lead, you need to hold onto that. Because if that was the case this past year, we would have been in the playoffs (even with all the crappy play from Sanchez and Shotty). It still comes down to our D and in game adjustment.

In the most part I agree with your optimism....I still think that the D has got to step up and by that I mean, if the offense gives you a lead, you need to hold onto that.

The Jets have lost 6 games over the last 3 years when the D holds opponents to less than 10 points. I'd say the onus is not on the D, though I do expect that with a better pass-rush, we'll be better at holding leads anyways.

turner actually does play specials. He was on most of Westy's coverage groups last year and worked as a gunner. White is the clear odd man out, unless they keep 6 WR.

1. Holmes

2. Hill

3. Chaz

4. Kirley

5. Turner

6. White/Dexter Jackson (Punt Returner)

7. Other (McKnight, D Ganaway, Payne, Riley etc)

Thank you. For a second I thought you were going to lie and say "hey, I've played in the NFL and I had to lose 20 lbs and nothing changed".

anyway, He lost weight because he was getting ready for the pros and that weight loss will help him. you may not think so, Cool. who cares. I wasnt complaining about his weight anyway so no need for me to make a conversation out of it.

If he didnt get fat in the first place, he'd have been a top 20 pick and would have made a lot more money. Dumb fat kid.

According to villain, if you redraft every player in the NFL, Danny woodhead goes 1st overall and Antonio gates is undrafted.

Somewhere out there, Kasey Keenum, Timmy Chang and Graham Harrell are like.....WTF???

I'm def expecting big things this year - with a younger & faster offense mixed with awesome veterans and an improved defense - There is no excuse to screw this up. Speed is key, esp against our tough defensive line up the first 1/2 of the season.

Oh, another reason I'm pumped for football???? Because I'm already over baseball.

Outside of White, im not really convinced. But I understand what you mean.

I actually thin we did upgrade the offense a bit--but not necessarily with the new, unproven WR's. I think the TE Linthicum is going to be a big boost to the Oline with his blocking. He's not Brady/Becht dominant, but solid and has better hands than Mulligan.

Turner brings little to the table outside of size, and Hill and Schilens are each 6'4", and they're both pretty much locks to make the team. The Jets new WR coach basically recruited Chaz. He'd have to perform absolutely terribly to get cut.

This on Turner...I think most of the reason hes still here is he's a WR from USC. He's really not all that talented by NFL standards. My one memory of him is him getting nailed by a pass in the back.

WR depth should be:

Holmes

Hill/Schillens

Kerley

Schillens/Hill

White or whoever wins out there

Pass catcher depth:

Holmes

Keller

Kerley

Hill

Schillens

RBs

The winner/s amongst the rest...RBs might get 40 or even 50 catches.

You know why White will stick? Victor Cruz. That's why.

Know why Cruz stuck?

He has a real QB. Thats why.

I want a QB that turns JAGs into Studs (with the JAGs helping themselves out with some goold old fashioned hard work aa well). Hopefully Sporano's super secret hard to tell offense designed to throw first downs will be of some....bwahhahahaha

If he didnt get fat in the first place, he'd have been a top 20 pick and would have made a lot more money. Dumb fat kid.

This is true. I just think that people made a big deal about his weight. He even dropped the weight to show teams that he's serious. This is even more reason why we should have took him in the 2nd. This guy was obviously a first round quality WR that fell to the 2nd.

I watched Phil Emery's press conference (GM of the Chicago Bears) and he spoke highly of Jeffery. He personally went to his games, his pro day and invited him to Chicago for an interview right after his pro day. He also felt that he had the best hands in the draft and was definitely in the top 3 receivers in the draft, yet 6 WR's went before him.

Emery concluded that Jeffery's drop in production (though still very good numbers) in his senior year was that the Gamecocks changed QB's and they also up'd their rushing production significantly (probably because of the change at QB), which lowered passing opportunities for all receivers.

If they can protect Cutler out there Jeffery and Marshall are going to go ape sh*t on that entire division.

Archived