Jets Announce 10 UDFA Signings And 23 Tryout Players

b&bjetsfan

The New York Jets have agreed in principle with 10 undrafted free agents and have invited 23 players to this weekend's rookie minicamp for tryouts.

Among the undrafted free agents is DB D'Anton Lynn out of Penn State, son of Jets RBs coach Anthony Lynn. And among the list of tryouts is QB Matt Simms, the Tennessee and Don Bosco Prep player who is the son of CBS analyst and former Giants QB Phil Simms. And tryout RB Joe Suhey from Penn State is the son of Matt Suhey, the Nittany Lions standout and 10-year RB for the Chicago Bears.

The team has also re-signed free agent WR DaMarcus Ganaway (6'2", 185) from Kentucky Wesleyan (no relation to sixth-round pick RB Terrance Ganaway out of Baylor).

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS

OL John Cullen (6'5", 300), Utah

ILB Marcus Dowtin (6'2", 226), North Alabama

CB Donnie Fletcher (6'1", 195), Boston College

DL Damon Harrison (6'4", 350), William Penn

QB G.J. Kinne (6'2", 234), Tulsa

TE Brian Linthicum (6'5", 245), Michigan State

DB D'Anton Lynn (6'1", 208), Penn State

CB Ryan Steed (5'11", 185), Furman

LB Donovan Robinson (6'3", 250), Jackson State

LB Brett Roy (6'4", 280), Nevada

TRYOUT PLAYERS

RB Pushaun Brown (5'10", 210), Maine

WR Kris Burd (6'1", 200), Virginia

LB Nelson Coleman (6'2", 235), Tulsa

DL Randy Colling (6'5", 320), Gannon

OL Paul Cornick (6'6", 309), North Dakota State

WR Danny Dembry (6'2", 185), Wake Forest

LB JoJo Dickson (6'2", 235), Idaho

QB Dan DiLella (6'5", 225), Albany

DB Tremayne Graham (5'10", 185), Richmond

DL Matt Hardison (6'4", 285), Delaware

OL Fred Koloto (6'3", 297), San Jose State

C Randy Martinez (6'1", 286), Cincinnati

K Brody McKnight (6'0", 204), Montana

DB Lance Mitchell (6'2", 207), Oregon State

OL Anthony Parker (6'5", 321), Western Michigan

WR Royce Pollard (6'1", 175), Hawaii

LB Josue Ortiz (6'4", 260), Harvard

DL Richie Smith (6'3", 289), Buffalo

QB Matt Simms (6'3', 210), Tennessee

RB Joe Suhey (6'1", 222), Penn State

DL Stephen Ruempolhamer (6'3", 298), Iowa State

OL Dan Wenger (6'3", 294), Florida

WR T.J. Williams (6'2", 184), Valdosta State

The New York Jets have agreed in principle with 10 undrafted free agents and have invited 23 players to this weekend's rookie minicamp for tryouts.

Among the undrafted free agents is DB D'Anton Lynn out of Penn State, son of Jets RBs coach Anthony Lynn. And among the list of tryouts is QB Matt Simms, the Tennessee and Don Bosco Prep player who is the son of CBS analyst and former Giants QB Phil Simms. And tryout RB Joe Suhey from Penn State is the son of Matt Suhey, the Nittany Lions standout and 10-year RB for the Chicago Bears.

The team has also re-signed free agent WR DaMarcus Ganaway (6'2", 185) from Kentucky Wesleyan (no relation to sixth-round pick RB Terrance Ganaway out of Baylor).

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS

OL John Cullen (6'5", 300), Utah

ILB Marcus Dowtin (6'2", 226), North Alabama

CB Donnie Fletcher (6'1", 195), Boston College

DL Damon Harrison (6'4", 350), William Penn

QB G.J. Kinne (6'2", 234), Tulsa

TE Brian Linthicum (6'5", 245), Michigan State

DB D'Anton Lynn (6'1", 208), Penn State

CB Ryan Steed (5'11", 185), Furman

LB Donovan Robinson (6'3", 250), Jackson State

LB Brett Roy (6'4", 280), Nevada

TRYOUT PLAYERS

RB Pushaun Brown (5'10", 210), Maine

WR Kris Burd (6'1", 200), Virginia

LB Nelson Coleman (6'2", 235), Tulsa

DL Randy Colling (6'5", 320), Gannon

OL Paul Cornick (6'6", 309), North Dakota State

WR Danny Dembry (6'2", 185), Wake Forest

LB JoJo Dickson (6'2", 235), Idaho

QB Dan DiLella (6'5", 225), Albany

DB Tremayne Graham (5'10", 185), Richmond

DL Matt Hardison (6'4", 285), Delaware

OL Fred Koloto (6'3", 297), San Jose State

C Randy Martinez (6'1", 286), Cincinnati

K Brody McKnight (6'0", 204), Montana

DB Lance Mitchell (6'2", 207), Oregon State

OL Anthony Parker (6'5", 321), Western Michigan

WR Royce Pollard (6'1", 175), Hawaii

LB Josue Ortiz (6'4", 260), Harvard

DL Richie Smith (6'3", 289), Buffalo

QB Matt Simms (6'3', 210), Tennessee

RB Joe Suhey (6'1", 222), Penn State

DL Stephen Ruempolhamer (6'3", 298), Iowa State

OL Dan Wenger (6'3", 294), Florida

WR T.J. Williams (6'2", 184), Valdosta State

so thats it....no more football until training camp....fml

Yeah. Hey! Remember when we used to have Steve Weatherford and then cut him without having a backup plan? That was awesome.

Regardless of how he may have worked out for the Giants last year, the guy was absolutely horrendous down the stretch for the Jets in back to back years, playing his worst (certainly worse than good ole TJ) in their most important games. Can't blame them for that move in the slightest. I certainly think they should be bringing in guys to compete in every possible scenario, and was surprised there were no punters coming into rookie camp, but there's good reason they decided they were done with Weatherford. Besides, for all of the hate for Conley, his numbers last year were better than Weatherford's in either of his 2 years here.

Regardless of how he may have worked out for the Giants last year, the guy was absolutely horrendous down the stretch for the Jets in back to back years, playing his worst (certainly worse than good ole TJ) in their most important games. Can't blame them for that move in the slightest. I certainly think they should be bringing in guys to compete in every possible scenario, and was surprised there were no punters coming into rookie camp, but there's good reason they decided they were done with Weatherford. Besides, for all of the hate for Conley, his numbers last year were better than Weatherford's in either of his 2 years here.

Wow. Looked it up. Absolutely none of the above is true. 2009 and 2010 his numbers are solid (almost the exact same average as Conley's 2011 stats) though unspectacular, except for his inside the 20 numbers, particularly in 2010 when he led the league by a wide margin with 42 punts inside the 20.

As for 2011: Weatherford averaged 45.7 yards a punt. Conley averaged 42.7 yards a punt. A full 3yds per punt average higher than Conley. Net was in favor of Weatherford as well. 39.2yds versus 38.8yds. More importantly, like with WR, we created a weakness where none existed. This is typical spineless Tannenbaum caving to Westhoff.

As for the rest I agree with you. Need to bring in more punters (and Olineman.)

Wow. Looked it up. Absolutely none of the above is true. 2009 and 2010 his numbers are solid (almost the exact same average as Conley's 2011 stats) though unspectacular, except for his inside the 20 numbers, particularly in 2010 when he led the league by a wide margin with 42 punts inside the 20.

As for 2011: Weatherford averaged 45.7 yards a punt. Conley averaged 42.7 yards a punt. A full 3yds per punt average higher than Conley. Net was in favor of Weatherford as well. 39.2yds versus 38.8yds. More importantly, like with WR, we created a weakness where none existed. This is typical spineless Tannenbaum caving to Westhoff.

As for the rest I agree with you. Need to bring in more punters (and Olineman.)

So let's just be clear here. You said "none of the above is true", then proceeded to admit it was all in fact true (although trying to quickly dismiss it), and followed it up by looking at different numbers (his performance after he had already left the Jets) to prove why it wasn't true? What exactly is your point, the Jets should have been able to predict the future that Weatherford's mediocre play was going to improve dramatically and the awful finishes to his two Jets seasons were going to completely disappear?

Like I said, he certainly stepped it up last season with the Giants, but that doesn't change how bad he was with the Jets. Go back and look at his last two games in green, he was unbelievably horridly bad. They didn't create a weakness where none existed, they tried to fix a weakness where they felt a major one existed. Let's be honest, it's only an f'n punter, so this should not be that big of a deal, but that also doesn't justify going out of your way to fabricate more reasons to hate on the Jets, when there's plenty of very legitimate ones out there.

So let's just be clear here. You said "none of the above is true", then proceeded to admit it was all in fact true (although trying to quickly dismiss it), and followed it up by looking at different numbers (his performance after he had already left the Jets) to prove why it wasn't true? What exactly is your point, the Jets should have been able to predict the future that Weatherford's mediocre play was going to improve dramatically and the awful finishes to his two Jets seasons were going to completely disappear?

Like I said, he certainly stepped it up last season with the Giants, but that doesn't change how bad he was with the Jets. Go back and look at his last two games in green, he was unbelievably horridly bad. They didn't create a weakness where none existed, they tried to fix a weakness where they felt a major one existed. Let's be honest, it's only an f'n punter, so this should not be that big of a deal, but that also doesn't justify going out of your way to fabricate more reasons to hate on the Jets, when there's plenty of very legitimate ones out there.

easy there Mr. Green.. I'm not fabricating anything. I'm looking up stats. Conley had none prior to last year. Weatherford did have stats that matched or exceeded Conley's. You stated Weatherford was far worse than Conley. He wasn't. Weatherford had some bad games. He also won a game nearly single-handedly with some sick coffin kicks inside the 10 in 2010 when he led all NFL punters in punts inside the 20. The Jets weren't trying to fix a weakness. They dumped Weatherford because Westhoff hated him for trying a fake punt on 4th and 15 or something like that. As far as his last two games...agree they were sub-par and not going to defend that. Conley's had some real stinkers too. Outside of Shane Lechler, all punters have them. Bottom line, the Giants had a real punter problem with Dodge and they improved a weakness by getting Weatherford. What they didn't do was cut Dodge without a backup plan. That had him compete with Weatherford for the starting job and cut him after Weatherford out-performed him. That was sensible. What we did in cutting Weatherford without a real replacement was stupid. And for the record, I defend the Jets players I like. Even Sanchez and Eric Smith, who get a ton of hate. What I don't like has been personnel decisions from FA to trading away draftpicks, to certain cuts and aquisitions, and rediculous contracts to mediocre players. In this I've been consistent. I don' believe in our general manager and feel he is a real weakness.

I think the point is they didn't really care how Weatherford performed in July, because in back to back years when they needed him most he was so unbelievably bad. I mean, the guy's net punting average was 22.3 in their game against the Pats. What more do you really need to say than that? They obviously decided enough was enough, and would rather let two new guys fight it out than have one guy be somebody they already knew they didn't want. Let's put it this way, if that fake punt was really the only reason for Weatherford being let go, they would have done it at the time and brought in Conley right then, rather than wait until after the season.

My point was as bad as Conley allegedly was last year, he was no worse than Weatherford's two years here. And the difference is, given that it was Conley's first year in the league and Weatherford's 6th/7th years, it probably wasn't crazy for the Jets to think he was the one more likely to improve (although again, Weatherford admittedly improved quite a bit this past year with the Giants).

I think the point is they didn't really care how Weatherford performed in July, because in back to back years when they needed him most he was so unbelievably bad. I mean, the guy's net punting average was 22.3 in their game against the Pats. What more do you really need to say than that? They obviously decided enough was enough, and would rather let two new guys fight it out than have one guy be somebody they already knew they didn't want. Let's put it this way, if that fake punt was really the only reason for Weatherford being let go, they would have done it at the time and brought in Conley right then, rather than wait until after the season.

My point was as bad as Conley allegedly was last year, he was no worse than Weatherford's two years here. And the difference is, given that it was Conley's first year in the league and Weatherford's 6th/7th years, it probably wasn't crazy for the Jets to think he was the one more likely to improve (although again, Weatherford admittedly improved quite a bit this past year with the Giants).

fair enough.

Matt Dodge!

He did have a monster leg...just that his head was in the clouds.

"Whatever you do, don't kick it to DeSean Jackson."

*line drive to DeSean Jackson*

Although I have to say, I've never seen such a god awful defensive performance get blamed entirely on a freakin' punter (although I can think of one equally horrid offensive performance blamed entirely on a freakin' kicker, but I digress).

I think the two corners will compete and have a good shot at the roster or the practice squad. We love to carry corners on our practice squad. I think the TE has a shot at a roster spot. I can see Roy from Nevada being a potential practice squad guy if he shows some ability as a linebacker. The two other linebackers can both run with Dowtin being the kind of guy I can see on special teams.

Archived