Will We See More 4-3 in 2012?

TNJet

Do we run more 4-3 sets this year now that we have so much Dline depth? The youth is amazing and the upside is obvious. Wilk,Pouha,Ellis,Coples sounds like a terror to me. Think we could see any of this workout well?

A post so good it had to be posted twice!

Seriously though, with all these DL and LBs and so little quality at Safety, I'm starting to wonder if we're bringing the 46 defense back in vogue this season (4-4 for those wondering). ;)

Thats a really big 4-3 line. Theres times that I'd really like to see a 4-3 just because its a perfect defense for getting pressure on the QB with the front 4 and thats the most effective way to rush the passer. In a 3-4 you rely more on OLB blitzes to get to the QB and we don't have great OLBs. We could run a 4-3 and we probably run some more 4-3 sets. But we probably won't make the full switch just because Rex has been a 3-4 coach ever since his Baltimore days and we already have a great defense, so theres no reason to change our whole scheme.

We saw it a ton last year. We haven't been a true 34 or 43 team since he arrived here, we've typically been a hybrid defense with a lot of 46 bear. Rex's 46 defense is based off of a 43 based front and since it seems that's what he wants to be using, yes I think we'll be seeing more 43 fronts.

This is another reason why ingram was a poor choice and why coples, with those long arms is the ideal player in Rex's system. It appears as though Rex doesn't care too much about the size or weight of his dlineman, so long as they are equipped with those long arms everyone has been talking about; one of the reasons you see Rex raving about pito and dixon. The most important thing a Rex Ryan defense needs his lineman to do his not get reached and that becomes increasingly harder the shorter your arms, which is why schematically Coples is going to offer a lot of versality, seeing as how he seems to be at his best lined up inside, over the tackle in a 43 front. I cannot wait to see how Pettine and Rex are going to use him. Hell, they had Ngata drop back in coverage sometimes,,,creativity is gonna be off the charts this year.

In a pass happy league, the nickel defense is often a team's base defense. Expect a lot of 4-2-5 with Bart Scott earning a lot his guaranteed salary from the bench.

Do we run more 4-3 sets this year now that we have so much Dline depth? The youth is amazing and the upside is obvious. Wilk,Pouha,Ellis,Coples sounds like a terror to me. Think we could see any of this workout well?

Way to write off Mike DeVito for a guy in Ellis who has shown jack squat. :angry:

Coples - Wilkerson DE's

Rotation of Devito Pouha Ellis in the Middle

Also the possibility Pace could line up at DE as well when needed in a 4-3 defense keeping everyone fresh when playing teams that run the hurry up basicly wearing our bigger guys down.

The Jets seem to be targeting smaller faster LB's and stocking up on DL which has 4-3 written all over it. If the Jets do not run more 4-3 I would say they drafted pretty bad

Coples - Wilkerson DE's

Rotation of Devito Pouha Ellis in the Middle

Also the possibility Pace could line up at DE as well when needed in a 4-3 defense keeping everyone fresh when playing teams that run the hurry up basicly wearing our bigger guys down.

The Jets seem to be targeting smaller faster LB's and stocking up on DL which has 4-3 written all over it. If the Jets do not run more 4-3 I would say they drafted pretty bad

If the Jets were really interested in converting to more of a 4-3 they would've targeted an Irvin or Ingram in the draft - a lighter weight, speed rushing DE. When the Jets go to a four man line in nickel situations, you'll see Coples move inside quite a bit where he had a lot of success in college, with guys like Maybin, Pace, or Thomas lining up at DE.

If the Jets were really interested in converting to more of a 4-3 they would've targeted an Irvin or Ingram in the draft - a lighter weight, speed rushing DE. When the Jets go to a four man line in nickel situations, you'll see Coples move inside quite a bit where he had a lot of success in college, with guys like Maybin, Pace, or Thomas lining up at DE.

Sorry slats but I totally disagree in the 4-3 you target bigger DE's that can rush the passer and Smaller faster LB's to roam and make plays with their speed and thats exactly how the Jets drafted.

Sorry slats but I totally disagree in the 4-3 you target bigger DE's that can rush the passer and Smaller faster LB's to roam and make plays with their speed and thats exactly how the Jets drafted.

Jared Allen, Jason Babin, and Chris Long disagree. In the 4-3, you want your speed rushers at the DE position, and those guys are generally in the < 270 range. Coples is 285 at the age of 21, and will probably be playing closer to 300 within two years. He's an excellent fit as a 3-4 DE, who will see a lot of time at DT for the Jets. He gives the team a lot of options as he can collapse the pocket from the inside, or get around the tackle on the outside.

Davis was drafted to play ILB and give them some speed next to Harris in their sub packages before getting promoted next year. Their OLBs will continue to be 4-3 DE types.

Jared Allen, Jason Babin, and Chris Long disagree. In the 4-3, you want your speed rushers at the DE position, and those guys are generally in the < 270 range. Coples is 285 at the age of 21, and will probably be playing closer to 300 within two years. He's an excellent fit as a 3-4 DE, who will see a lot of time at DT for the Jets. He gives the team a lot of options as he can collapse the pocket from the inside, or get around the tackle on the outside.

Davis was drafted to play ILB and give them some speed next to Harris in their sub packages before getting promoted next year. Their OLBs will continue to be 4-3 DE types.

Slats I see what your saying but Coples is quick like those guys and 3-4 DE's do not get very many sacks unless they have an OLB like Lawrence Taylor lining up along side them creating Havoc (see Leonhard Marshall). If the Jets drafted Coples to Play in a 3-4 most of the time they are idiots and have no clue how to draft. Defensive line was the deepest part of our team and the 3-4 is not known for producing sacks from the DL. Its up to them to free up room for the OLB to make plays and create pressure and also help the situational passrushers and I do not agree with using the 16th pick in the draft to get a 3-4 DE if they wanted to rush the passer they needed to get the best available OLB . Our DL does its job we needed impact players at OLB. Ths is why I think we are leaning toward 4-3. We'll just have to see how it plays out Slats

Slats in my previous post I did not mean to say Bigger DE's in the 4-3 . I was trying to make the point in the 4-3 you would normally draft smaller faster LB's not in the 270 range. That being said I still think Coples could be very effective playing DE at the 285 range There are a lot of variables here.

If the Jets keep the same type of defense and they truly wanted to draft Irvin then the way they drafted on defense makes them look like Idiots

Slats I see what your saying but Coples is quick like those guys and 3-4 DE's do not get very many sacks unless they have an OLB like Lawrence Taylor lining up along side them creating Havoc (see Leonhard Marshall). If the Jets drafted Coples to Play in a 3-4 most of the time they are idiots and have no clue how to draft. Defensive line was the deepest part of our team and the 3-4 is not known for producing sacks from the DL. Its up to them to free up room for the OLB to make plays and create pressure and also help the situational passrushers and I do not agree with using the 16th pick in the draft to get a 3-4 DE if they wanted to rush the passer they needed to get the best available OLB . Our DL does its job we needed impact players at OLB. Ths is why I think we are leaning toward 4-3. We'll just have to see how it plays out Slats

This is why I don't think Coples is going to have a ton of sacks, but that doesn't mean he's not rushing the passer, getting pressure, knocking down passes, etc. He will create sack opportunities for guys like Maybin. The Jets can present a three man line that all demand double teams. Single block Coples, and he will get sacks. Double team him, and the guy behind him will.

Jets are going to run a base 3-4, and the addition of Coples will give them much more of a pass rush than if Mike DeVito was starting at DE. You can call the Jets DL deep, but if Coples pans out he's a major upgrade.

But there's no reason to get hung up on 3-4 vs. 4-3. When the Jets play the Pats, their base dee is the 4-2-5. They probably play n the nickel about 50% of the time vs. the rest of the league. Coples is going to line up at DE, DT, and even some OLB - just to mix things up.

If the Jets keep the same type of defense and they truly wanted to draft Irvin then the way they drafted on defense makes them look like Idiots

If the Jets had actually wanted Irvin at #16, they would've drafted Ingram there when they were on the clock. And that would've been more of a signal that they were interested in moving to a 4-3, as Ingram will be best served as a 4-3 DE in the NFL. I could see him as a Hugh Douglas type.

But they didn't do that, they opted for a 3-4 DE who could stay on the field in the nickel.

Way to write off Mike DeVito for a guy in Ellis who has shown jack squat. :angry:

Co-sign. Don't forget the draft day post by the rocket scientist who wanted to trade Devito for a 5th. Ellis may be a player, but he has a long way to go based on his actual play last season.

Archived