Rex says Jets didn't want Irvin. Do we Buy it?

yuvabuv

I believe Rex. He's chubby and chubby people are jolly. Liars are suspicious and go around sneering and twisting their handlebar mustaches. Rex Doesn't even have a mustache. Proof. And therfore chubby, jolly people don't wear mustaches and therefore are not liars. Glad I could clear this up for you guys.

I believe Rex. He's chubby and chubby people are jolly. Liars are suspicious and go around sneering and twisting their handlebar mustaches. Rex Doesn't even have a mustache. Proof. And therfore chubby, jolly people don't wear mustaches and therefore are not liars. Glad I could clear this up for you guys.

+1

That was f*cking awesome

I was going to criticize Len Pasquerelli and his friendship journalism but after that post this topic is over. You win!

You know what, I know this isn't the topic of the thread, but after checking out that link I give serious credit to PFT for giving a nod to the Match for Michael. Events like that are always great to see, and it's nice to see a media outlet give some recognition to it too.

HEY, dont you disrespect my avatar like that!

I do not know if I believe him. How can I know? I do not know anything about either player. What I thinlk is cool is how typical Rex this is. He not only rates Coples above the guy, but Hill as well. He did this for emphasis. But it is typical overstatement, which is Rex's stock in trade.

I think it's highly likely that the Jets preferred a part time pass rush rusher with legal and academic woes over a three down guy who can play DT, DE, or OLB for them on any given play.

If the Seahawks took Melvin Ingram, we'd be having the exact same discussion except that the protagonist would be different. But now we know the Jets passed on Ingram, a guy who will play the same position as Irvin in the pros.

The Jets didn't need to just bolster their pass rush, they needed to bolster their pass rush from their base dee. They need to be able to get to the passer without blitzing. They need to be able to get after the passer when the opposition tries to change things up with a first or second down throw. A situational pass rusher does not help them in that regard. Coples does.

I think it's highly likely that the Jets preferred a part time pass rush rusher with legal and academic woes over a three down guy who can play DT, DE, or OLB for them on any given play.

Slats I dont think we will be seeing Coples at OLB at all not in the true sense of the position at least. Hes pushing 290 and Ill bet he bulks up even more in the years to come he will probably fill out around 300. Like I said in the thread I started on the 4-3 the drafting of a 235 LB (Davis) further pushes the very strong possibility we will be moving more towards a 4-3. Adding another DL and a Small LB and staying in a 3-4 does not make much sense especially since we were already strong on the DL.

So it’s no surprise that Ryan said what he said. It would have been far more noteworthy if he’d said something else.

Then:

So while the Jets provide plenty of ammo for scrutiny and criticism, we applaud them for helping Michael and his family.

So interestingly, the Jets did the OPPOSITE of the thing that would have been "noteworthy" and by doing so became.... "noteworthy"?

Screw you Florio.

It’s impossible to lend any serious weight to those comments. Of course Ryan isn’t going to say he wanted a guy he didn’t get. If Ryan did, that wouldn’t help set the tone for Coples to be successful — and it would invite criticism of the Jets’ failure to leap-frog the Seahawks, especially if Irvin becomes the next Dwight Freeney or Clay Matthews.

And what if Coples is the boom and Irvin is a bust? I suppose we won't hear anything from you about that, will we?

Just read this draft analysis from Kiper.... In the 3-4 neither pick makes much sense and Kiper would be right. If the Jets do not change to a 4-3 they are Idiots IMO on how they drafted this year with what was available

Kiper at times is a walking contradiction and making the statement Davis will be a Situational passrusher is stupid as well. We have a situational passrusher in Maybin since thats all the guy can do. Davis is the total package at LB from what Ive seen and is far from situational

Mel Kiper Jr., Draft Expert & College Football Analyst, ESPN

The Jets surprised me when they went with Quinton Coples over Melvin Ingram in Round 1. To be blunt, I just think Ingram is the superior player — and I have outside linebacker as New York’s top need. Coples is a more natural fit as a 4-3 defensive end, and the obvious conclusion is Rex Ryan intends to move him inside. Still, I don’t see him as a significant help in a need area — the pass rush. Stephen Hill is a major physical talent, but he’s a project in terms of route running. He can certainly keep safeties honest, however. You have to account for his deep speed, but I’m not sure he’ll be able to help a lot in 2012. I like the value of Demario Davis. He was my fifth-ranked OLB in this draft. Size is a question, but Rex may set him loose situationally. Grade: C

It really doesn't matter what Rex and the Jets do.....the media uses the Jets for just about everything to get ratings.

This. This Irvin thing is so fn stupid. They showed plenty of interest in him, but as a first? The idea is laughable.

Mel Kiper is a colossal douche bag.

I gave jets same grade as a C, Coples and Hill are prob 2013 contributors, dont see them doing much this yr. Davis will be a STmer as well

Ganaway may beat out Greene for starting job.

Archived