Rex says Jets didn't want Irvin. Do we Buy it?

yuvabuv

Well, if Rex did want him I can see why. He has a bullrush, can go inside or outside and has a powerful grip. Kid was making sacks with one hand. Oh, and he ran a 4.43 at the combine. pretty freakish. Seattle got away with one from the looks of it.

Wow, embellish much? Irvin is a one-trick pony. He ran a 4.5 not 4.43. He will play DE for the Hawks at 245, so good luck with "bull rushing" NFL tackles, Bruce. Powerful grip? What's that for? This is not some corny arm wrestling Stallone movie, although the title of that movie certainly fits well with your post.

vnv.jpg

Then:

So interestingly, the Jets did the OPPOSITE of the thing that would have been "noteworthy" and by doing so became.... "noteworthy"?

Screw you Florio.

And what if Coples is the boom and Irvin is a bust? I suppose we won't hear anything from you about that, will we?

Florio is an uber-douche who has unfortunately been legitimized by NBC. Prior to them hiring him as their "insider" he was just a dickhead with a blog that most people considered to be the National Inquirer of pro football.

His site hasn't improved and for the most part all his "writers" do is paraphrase articles that appear in more legitimate places.

Regardless of whether or not you think this should be taken to mean anything, the constant changing of the criteria needed by some to discredit this asinine little storyline is beyond ridiculous. No matter how many things come about saying the exact opposite of this whole Irvin nonsense, none of it counts for one simple reason, in order to justify to continue hating on the Jets for something that all but one source seems to say wasn't true.

First it was a matter of one report coming out and despite it not being supported by anyone else, it was gold because there was no reports refuting it (and more importantly, because it made the Jets look bad). Then the original source of the report even came back to clarify that he felt there were incorrect conclusions being reached in the re-reporting of his comments by others. After that, another report came out saying the Jets had no interest in Irvin at that spot in the draft. So then suddenly, other reports refuting the original report was no longer enough, so the next set of criteria became that it still has to be true if the Jets aren't willing to publicly deny the reports. And then they do just that, and now it's "obviously" a lie. There's plenty of legitimate reasons to take issue with things the Jets have done, but some people are so unbelievably desperate to bitch and moan about every single thing imaginable that they have to fabricate reasons.

Wow, embellish much? Irvin is a one-trick pony. He ran a 4.5 not 4.43. He will play DE for the Hawks at 245, so good luck with "bull rushing" NFL tackles, Bruce. Powerful grip? What's that for? This is not some corny arm wrestling Stallone movie, although the title of that movie certainly fits well with your post.

vnv.jpg

When I turn the hat around, it's like a switch.

Regardless of whether or not you think this should be taken to mean anything, the constant changing of the criteria needed by some to discredit this asinine little storyline is beyond ridiculous. No matter how many things come about saying the exact opposite of this whole Irvin nonsense, none of it counts for one simple reason, in order to justify to continue hating on the Jets for something that all but one source seems to say wasn't true.

First it was a matter of one report coming out and despite it not being supported by anyone else, it was gold because there was no reports refuting it (and more importantly, because it made the Jets look bad). Then the original source of the report even came back to clarify that he felt there were incorrect conclusions being reached in the re-reporting of his comments by others. After that, another report came out saying the Jets had no interest in Irvin at that spot in the draft. So then suddenly, other reports refuting the original report was no longer enough, so the next set of criteria became that it still has to be true if the Jets aren't willing to publicly deny the reports. And then they do just that, and now it's "obviously" a lie. There's plenty of legitimate reasons to take issue with things the Jets have done, but some people are so unbelievably desperate to bitch and moan about every single thing imaginable that they have to fabricate reasons.

Excellent post.

This is a Jets fan site, right? Why do so many here reflexively believe anything negative about this team and automatically refute anything positive. It really is friggin' weird.

Excellent post.

This is a Jets fan site, right? Why do so many here reflexively believe anything negative about this team and automatically refute anything positive. It really is friggin' weird.

#rexfx

vnv.jpg

Everything else you said is opinion which is cool, though you must have felt good putting all that together with Stallone, the movie and all. It was cute.

The Jets were clearly making speed a priority in draft with guys like Davis and the UDFA Dowtin, so I would imagine that Irvin was heavily considered. Whether they saw him as a first round talent is anyone's guess. What I think is fairly evident is that Seattle thought there was a good chance the Jets were taking him by the way they moved around on draft day.

The Jets were clearly making speed a priority in draft with guys like Davis and the UDFA Dowtin, so I would imagine that Irvin was heavily considered. Whether they saw him as a first round talent is anyone's guess. What I think is fairly evident is that Seattle thought there was a good chance the Jets were taking him by the way they moved around on draft day.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call that "fairly evident". Seattle traded down, not up, to end up in front of the Jets. It could rather easily be that them ending up in that spot had nothing to do with the Jets, but rather it being their best trade offer. After all, in order for that move to even happen, the Eagles had to be interested in making the move up to begin with. If the Seahawks were so worried about the Jets taking Irvin, I'm not sure they would have made it so easy for the Jets to jump them if they really wanted, considering the Jets would have only had to move up 2 spots. Don't get me wrong, I suppose it's possible, but it's far from a sure thing.

I would like to announce that I am using all of my allotment of negative rep for you since you suck at trolling.

Youre still a Stalker.

Mel Kiper called the decision of the Seahawks to take West Virginia defensive end Bruce Irvin with the 15th pick in the draft “mind boggling.” It shouldn’t have been.

Per a league source, at least seven teams had Irvin rated as one of the top 15 players available in the draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/at-least-seve-teams-had-bruce-irvin-in-top-15/

The Jets wanted Irvin. Hes just the type of pick the Jets make.

And your basis for this is what exactly? The Jets first round picks since Tanny took over have been:

Brick

Mangold

Revis

Gholston

Keller

Sanchez

Wilson

Wilkerson

Please indulge us on how exactly these picks have oh so much in common with the possible pick of a guy like Irvin.

And your basis for this is what exactly? The Jets first round picks since Tanny took over have been:

Brick

Mangold

Revis

Gholston

Keller

Sanchez

Wilson

Wilkerson

Please indulge us on how exactly these picks have oh so much in common with the possible pick of a guy like Irvin.

They're all good players outside of Gholston?????? Maybe he thinks Irvin is a good player.

I wouldnt have mind them taking Irvin, just not in the 1st or 2nd round. If he was there in the 3rd then you pull the trigger. Of course that wasnt the case.

Brick

Mangold

Revis

Gholston

Keller

Sanchez

Wilson

Wilkerson

Moe Wilky and Keller were obscure. Ducasse was too. Woodhead wasnt drafted but the Jets found him.

Im willing to bet that the Irvin turns into a Beast.

going back to Kiper, I kind of agree with him. Ingram made more sense. We JUST drafted DE and DT with our top two picks last year. Our needs for three straight years have been OLB, Safetly and Oline. Ingram or DeCastro were the smart picks. Coples is a raw prospect DE. WTF? Still think he'll be good. And Irvin never entered the picture IMHO.

going back to Kiper, I kind of agree with him. Ingram made more sense. We JUST drafted DE and DT with our top two picks last year. Our needs for three straight years have been OLB, Safetly and Oline. Ingram or DeCastro were the smart picks. Coples is a raw prospect DE. WTF? Still think he'll be good. And Irvin never entered the picture IMHO.

I think the Jets like Maybin, who's added a few pounds in hopes of seeing his role increase.

I also think they're leery about drafting a DE to play OLB after the Gholston disaster. They'll have to do it eventually, but right now could see Coples as the safer pick.

Everything else you said is opinion which is cool, though you must have felt good putting all that together with Stallone, the movie and all. It was cute.

Official time is 4.5, but fun video. He's fast, I get it. But he really is 245, that is not just my opinion.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/bruce-irvin?id=2532871

You give me way too much credit though. You set it up on a platter for me. Glad you liked it, but it was no sweat, really.

Official time is 4.5, but fun video. He's fast, I get it. But he really is 245, that is not just my opinion.

http://www.nfl.com/c...rvin?id=2532871

You give me way too much credit though. You set it up on a platter for me. Glad you liked it, but it was no sweat, really.

lol. Like I said, it was cute. When you did it I was like "I walked right into that sh*t". lmao.

And I didnt mean his weight when I meant your opinion, I meant the one trick pony comment. I thought so too when I seen him, but I checked out other vids and the kid has skill.

Also, his first 4.5 40 was unofficial. The bottomline is that the kid is fast, being off by .07 seconds "officially" doesnt change that...especially when it was the 4.43 unofficial number that probably got him drafted in the 1st round.

Youre still a Stalker.

Mel Kiper called the decision of the Seahawks to take West Virginia defensive end Bruce Irvin with the 15th pick in the draft “mind boggling.” It shouldn’t have been.

Per a league source, at least seven teams had Irvin rated as one of the top 15 players available in the draft.

http://profootballta...rvin-in-top-15/

You're actually quoting PFT as a source? You're a joke.

I think the Jets like Maybin, who's added a few pounds in hopes of seeing his role increase.

I also think they're leery about drafting a DE to play OLB after the Gholston disaster. They'll have to do it eventually, but right now could see Coples as the safer pick.

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is why I want to go back to the 4-3. You find yourself giving up good players (Vilma) to adjust to the 3-4 but even crazier you simply cant draft any good OLB. You always have to find some special one of a kind "hybrid" player to play the position, which is asking to be even more precise (and correct) when drafting. It does nothing but limit your picks from a collection of good players. Pierre Paul is a beast yet he probably wouldnt work in a 3-4 because he's too small to play DE and may not be able to cover as a OLB or even play standing up for that matter.

I dont see the 3-4 having such an advantage especially when 4-3 teams are still winning championships (While shutting down brady to do so).

Archived