The Avengers was OMG RIDICULAWESOME

T0mShane

I couldn't watch Spiderman 3 after standing next to Toby Maguire waiting for a cab outside The Rio.... the dude is like 5'5" (and seemed like a total douche). I realize Peter Parker isn't supposed to be an imposing figure, but the image of a guy I could've posted up when I was 11 as one of the most iconic superheros just doesn't work for me.

Screwing up Venom is going to be his legacy. That's the sad part and it's unforgivable. Not to mention that ridiculous song and dance scene. The thing is Raimi just never seemed to tap into Peter Parker because so much of each movie was focused on the boring a$$ love story. There's a real struggle for identity that he's supposed to be going through being an orphan who gains these powers out of nowhere, which he focused on here and there but not enough to be legit. And so many of the characters were way too campy (watching Raimi's Jonah Jameson on TV now makes me gag, the Macho Man cameo even). Batman Begins changed everything. Nolan showed you could stay true to the comics while still incorporating original stuff in the script to make the transition to film a little more realistic, which is why Watchmen probably didn't work very well either and it's also why I can't wait to see the direction that he and Snyder are going with Superman.

And even from a practical aspect, the action scenes don't even look that good anymore. I read an article about these Epic cameras that they used for the reboot and from seeing the trailer in 3-D it looks to be spot on, I have a feeling from a visionary aspect it's going to be a stunner.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screwing up Venom is going to be his legacy. That's the sad part and it's unforgivable. Not to mention that ridiculous song and dance scene. The thing is Raimi just never seemed to tap into Peter Parker because so much of each movie was focused on the boring a$$ love story. There's a real struggle for identity that he's supposed to be going through being an orphan who gains these powers out of nowhere, which he focused on here and there but not enough to be legit. And so many of the characters were way too campy (watching Raimi's Jonah Jameson on TV now makes me gag, the Macho Man cameo even). Batman Begins changed everything. Nolan showed you could stay true to the comics while still incorporating original stuff in the script to make the transition to film a little more realistic, which is why Watchmen probably didn't work very well either and it's also why I can't wait to see the direction that he and Snyder are going with Superman.

And even from a practical aspect, the action scenes don't even look that good anymore. I read an article about these Epic cameras that they used for the reboot and from seeing the trailer in 3-D it looks to be spot on, I have a feeling from a visionary aspect it's going to be a stunner.

Wow, there's a lot more comic book nerds on this site than I realized. I just thought the guy was too physically unimpressive to play a superhero... I don't know that I've ever read a comic book in my lifetime. I do hope the reboots are good though...

Wow, there's a lot more comic book nerds on this site than I realized. I just thought the guy was too physically unimpressive to play a superhero... I don't know that I've ever read a comic book in my lifetime. I do hope the reboots are good though...

Yeah, pretty much. It's why I can't jump on the "hey let me judge Antonio Cromartie for having lots of kids" thing, or stuff like that. I'm a 31 year old man who still reads comic books, I'm not really in a position to be throwing down the judgement hammer on anyone.

Except Sanchez. He's a ******* puss.

What's so wrong about seeing a movie by yourself? You're like the third person in three days who says this is some kind of sad event.

Unless I'm getting a handy/BJ during the movie (which HAS happened) I could not possibly care less if I have company or not. Just pack a bowl or smoke a joint beforehand and enjoy the lawlz.

I guess not, I am over it actually. Used to feel weird doing it. Now I do it all the time when I am traveling for work.

And so many of the characters were way too campy (watching Raimi's Jonah Jameson on TV now makes me gag, the Macho Man cameo even).

Scene at the end of the first one where proud, surly New Yorkers throw garbage at the Green Goblin and say things like "Ey, ya take on Spidah-Man, ya take on awl of us, jerkoff! C'mon up here, I gadda lil sumpin for ya!" FTW

This is sad but I am in Las Vegas for work and am thinking about going to see this by myself. You all better be right about it being good.

On a completely unrelated note can anyone help me find a job that involves so much frequent travel to Vegas.

And yeah its awesome Ridiculawesome movie.

Btw Ang Lee's Hulk is underrated as hell. That's a good origin story and Jennifer Connelly is just sexy. That movie gets hurt by the fact that it was not made to be dumb (probably not enough HULK HEEERRRRP, I guess).

Norton's Hulk got ruined by Tyler's voice/acting. Otherwise I love watching it when it's on...I could see Ruffalo being a good Banner....guy is a solid actor.

Still haven't seen this...Ack.

Eric Bana Hulk was decent.... Like Dolphin Lundgren Punisher decent. Norton's was awesome, despite your gayness for Liv Tyler. Many other Marvel sh*tshows worth scrutiny before their first crack at Hulk.

Kirsten Dungst as MJ Watson was a bigger screw up than Venom, and I agree about Venom 10000%

Kirsten Dungst as MJ Watson was a bigger screw up than Venom, and I agree about Venom 10000%

I think just the way MJ was approached in general. She was just as big a part of the plot lines as Parker, which is ridiculous. And I will never comprehend how you screw up Venom. It's such an awesome storyline and he's one of the coolest characters ever created, and Raimi totally muffed it. I think even a 12-year-old could have gotten Venom right. Like you almost have to be trying to get it wrong to even accomplish it.

Scene at the end of the first one where proud, surly New Yorkers throw garbage at the Green Goblin and say things like "Ey, ya take on Spidah-Man, ya take on awl of us, jerkoff! C'mon up here, I gadda lil sumpin for ya!" FTW

Every now and then I catch it on TV and realize that the only thing that makes it watchable these days is Dafoe. You just can't go wrong when Dafoe's going over the top. He made Boondock Saints watchable.

Yeah Dunst is where they lost me.

So many hot red heads in the world and they go with Kirsten Dunst and her grandma t!ts? She's not even THAT much of a redhead and MJ was a muhfckin red head.

I love the new Spiderman trailer...I still think Garfield was the sleeper star in Social Network...do they plan to bring Spiderman into the larger Marvel universe?

Btw anyone hear Patrice O'Neal talk about how these movies are made for adults because kids don't read comics anymore? I thought it was pretty spot on, though they kind of pulled back/slipped for Thor. It's what made Begins and Dark knight so fn great...well that and the Batman universe is so ****in great for movies (The Keaton films are great and creepy).

Warms the heart every time.

And I will never comprehend how you screw up Venom. It's such an awesome storyline and he's one of the coolest characters ever created, and Raimi totally muffed it. I think even a 12-year-old could have gotten Venom right. Like you almost have to be trying to get it wrong to even accomplish it.

How sick would a Secret Wars trilogy be?

Finally got a chance to see it last night. I don't generally like 3-D, but it was well worth it for all things Hulk-related. Ridiculawesome is right.

Saw it twice, a group from work wanted to go. First time in 3D, second in IMAX 3D. Ridiculawesome is very appropriate for the entire move, particularly the Hulk.

This is sad but I am in Las Vegas for work and am thinking about going to see this by myself. You all better be right about it being good.

You're going to Vegas, and going out to a movie? I'd recommend Cheetas for a matinee, but that's just me I guess

avengers was awesome the thanos tie in was done really well, i was actually surprised how well the whole movie was done. They even made hawkeye look good, the super hero movies have really been looking up lately, iron man, the new hulk, thor capt America and now avengers, all excellent. Avenger of course being by far the best and very well done. But don't forget the batman trilogy has been epic and dark knight was one of best movies ever. The new one will hopefully live up to the hype. Other than those though, i cant think of any good one..

avengers was awesome the thanos tie in was done really well, i was actually surprised how well the whole movie was done. They even made hawkeye look good, the super hero movies have really been looking up lately, iron man, the new hulk, thor capt America and now avengers, all excellent. Avenger of course being by far the best and very well done. But don't forget the batman trilogy has been epic and dark knight was one of best movies ever. The new one will hopefully live up to the hype. Other than those though, i cant think of any good one..

Just saw Avengers and it was very good.

I hope 'Rises' does live upto the hype. I think it will be after Dark KNight.

• 4 weeks later...

The Avengers was fun. Better than...I don't want to say it. I refuse to say it, I want a second a viewing. Its probably not true anyway.

It's really, really, really hard to dislike Samuel L.

Jackson. How come I can't be that badass? Does he age?

I forget if this is the thread where Spider Man 3 is talked about but hooooolllllllyyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiiit it's infuriating how bad that movie is. That's right, I tried it again.

Just saw a new preview for this. I was concerned when initial previews started off with Peter Parker expressing some great angst over who his parents were, as if anybody gives a sh*t. The subsequent previews are confirming my thought that this is going to be a giant Transformers 2-style incoherent CGI ****fest soufflé with a thin layer of Andrew Garfield emo warbling on top.

Archived