Cimini: Rookie camp day two

flgreen

Rookie camp, Day 2: Sideline observations

May, 5, 2012

May 5

2:28

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.coms on the second practice of the Jets' rookie minicamp:

1. It was another big day for second-round WR Stephen Hill, who was the best player on the field -- at least from my perspective. In 7-on-7 drills, Hill was a huge presence over the middle, making several grabs on in-cutting routes in the 15- to 20-yard range. In team drills, he made a nice, over-the-shoulder catch on a sideline route. This was a long way from game conditions, so let's not put him in Canton just yetbut the Jets have to be thrilled with Hill.

2. Third-round LB Demario Davis has something the Jets' other LBs don't have -- speed. He recorded a "sack" in team drills, blitzing up the middle. Okay, he was unblocked, but you could see the burst. He also drops smoothly into coverage. Message to Bart Scott: You'd better be on your game when camp opens.

3. The safeties -- Josh Bush (sixth round) and Antonio Allen (seventh) -- worked as a tandem, alternating in the free and strong roles. Allen looks more comfortable in the box, which is no surprise. At South Carolina, he played what they call the "spur," a hybrid safety/linebacker. Bush is undersized -- looks like a corner -- so I wonder how he'd hold up as an every-down player.

4. There's an interesting mix of quarterbacks in camp -- G.J. Kinne (Tulsa, UDFA), Matt Simms (Tennessee, tryout) and Dan DiLella (Albany, tryout). Kinne performed the best on Day 1, but the gap closes. Simms, son of former Giants QB Phil Simms, can really zip the ball. But he was erratic with his accuracy and he also needs to develop some touch. Afterward, Simms spoke to a few reporters. (The resemblance to his dad is uncanny.) He was as polite as could be, hoping he can show enough in this camp to earn a contract.

5. I like "Aussie" -- er, I mean TE Hayden Smith. He's doing a nice job for someone who never played football. The former rugby star made a terrific catch over the middle between two defenders. I'm sure he's running some wrong routes and making some mental errors, but all things considered, he doesn't look out of place. Well, except for one thing: He's the only player wearing white knee socks. Must be a rugby thing.

6. Of the undrafted free agents, the one that jumps out to me is CB Ryan Steed (Furman). He made a nice pass-breakup, closing quickly on a short route. The Jets have depth issues at corner, so they need someone to step up.

5. I like "Aussie" -- er, I mean TE Hayden Smith. He's doing a nice job for someone who never played football. The former rugby star made a terrific catch over the middle between two defenders. I'm sure he's running some wrong routes and making some mental errors, but all things considered, he doesn't look out of place. Well, except for one thing: He's the only player wearing white knee socks. Must be a rugby thing.

6. Of the undrafted free agents, the one that jumps out to me is CB Ryan Steed (Furman). He made a nice pass-breakup, closing quickly on a short route. The Jets have depth issues at corner, so they need someone to step up.

Here it is again; i've gotten past thinking it was an intern ghost-writing for Cimini and that old Richy boy has a legitimate man-crush on the Aussie.

Was quite pleased when they brought in Steed; the kid has definite talent and will be good on special teams and give some depth for our dime packages, considering we do need help in that department.

That stupid comment at the end of the Hill piece is ****in stupid. I mean really? This isn't a game situation and it won't put him in the HOF? ****in a, coulda fooled me Dick with that kind of ranting and raving about his talent.

God sports writers are such grade A cunts...btw this is a rehash of tweets that were made.

That stupid comment at the end of the Hill piece is ****in stupid. I mean really? This isn't a game situation and it won't put him in the HOF? ****in a, coulda fooled me Dick with that kind of ranting and raving about his talent.

God sports writers are such grade A cunts...btw this is a rehash of tweets that were made.

It totally was a stupid comment. Of course he's going to the Hall with a 40 like that. Psh.

Disagree.. Given the audience, tempering enthusiasm should be required

Disagree.. Given the audience, tempering enthusiasm should be required

The audience as in fans of the team? Even then, who's reading a rookie having a good day at minicamp as "holy sh*t this guy might be pushing

Canton one day(!)?"

I get the point of doing it....I mean most Jet fans think Hard Knocks gave them inside information through single lines...but it's...predictable? Can't he just have had a nice day in camp?

I ******* hate twitter.

The audience as in fans of the team? Even then, who's reading a rookie having a good day at minicamp as "holy sh*t this guy might be pushing

Canton one day(!)?"

I get the point of doing it....I mean most Jet fans think Hard Knocks gave them inside information through single lines...but it's...predictable? Can't he just have had a nice day in camp?

Yes, fans of the team.. The same guys that have already convinced themselves that Sparano is an offensive savant despite him fielding a offense that was as bad as the jets offense the last few years

Yes, fans of the team.. The same guys that have already convinced themselves that Sparano is an offensive savant despite him fielding a offense that was as bad as the jets offense the last few years

You know damn well why Sporano brings hope.

That's two good days in a row for Hayden Smith. Granted, it doesn't prove anything, but some people thought this was a stupid signing and it's clear now that he's at least competitive.

Archived