DeVito Restructures Deal

Ryno the Jet

Jets defensive lineman Mike DeVito restructures deal

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_defensive_lineman_mike_de.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Published: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 12:38 PM Updated: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 12:56 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

10983741-large.jpg

Robert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerMike DeVito's role may be affected by the addition of Quinton Coples.

A week after the Jets drafted North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples in the first round, veteran Mike DeVito restructured his contract.

DeVito had been scheduled to earn a $2.26 million base salary in the final year of the extension he signed in 2009. In a restructured deal he agreed to last week, he will earn a base salary of $700,000, fully guaranteed, according to NFL Players Association records.

The $500,000 roster bonus he already received this offseason, as well as his $350,000 workout bonus, are intact in his restructured deal. He also received a $950,000 signing bonus, making his total compensation this year $2.5 million.

His cap number, and total compensation, reduced by about $600,000 in the restructure. Since he is due a guaranteed $2.5 million, it is essentially assured that the team will not cut him.

However, the contract also includes a $750,000 escalator, based on playing time, so DeVito has the opportunity to earn his money back. From the Jets' perspective, if Coples takes on the role coach Rex Ryan has indicated he will, they wouldn't have to play that money.

Ryan has already said that Coples, drafted No. 16 overall, will start, though he hedged a bit by pointing out that the Jets use many different defensive packages and fronts, so “starter” is a loose term. Still, it is clear that Ryan intends to make Coples a significant part of the defense, which could in turn reduce DeVito’s role. But DeVito also has the incentive to make sure that doesn't happen.

“I know (DeVito) is a tremendous player,” Ryan said after the draft. “To explain his exact role right now, I don't feel like I can do that right now.”

DeVito originally came to the Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2007 and has been an important part of their defensive line. He played in 12 games last season with 11 starts, missing four games with two separate knee injuries. The Jets announced in January that DeVito had offseason shoulder surgery.

In addition to DeVito taking a pay cut last week, the Jets also cut defensive lineman Ropati Pitoitua, a pair of changes very likely tied into the addition of Coples.

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12360/devito-takes-610k-pay-cut?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

DeVito takes $610k pay cut

By Rich Cimini

When the draft was over, Rex Ryan couldn't say enough nice things about DE Mike DeVito, who essentially lost his starting job the moment the Jets drafted Quinton Coples. Ryan called DeVito an "outstanding football player," turning nostalgic by saying DeVito was the first undrafted free agent on his watch to receive a contract extension.

A few days later, the Jets cut his pay. Cold business, the NFL.

DeVito took a $610,000 pay cut for 2012, the final year of his contract, according to NFL Players' Association records. It was first reported Tuesday by the Star-Ledger of Newark.

Here are the details: He will earn $2.5 million this season, including a $700,000 base salary, a $950,000 signing bonus, a $500,000 roster bonus and a $350,000 workout bonus, according to a source.

Before the restructuring, DeVito was to earn $3.11 million, including a $2.26 million base salary. Basically, he agreed to the pay cut, probably fearing for his roster spot, in exchange for fully guaranteed compensation in 2012. They threw in a $750,000 escalator, based on playing time, giving him the chance to recoup the lost money.

DeVito has been a good solider for the Jets, playing through a knee injury last season. (He ended up missing four games.) He's a well-respected player in the locker room, a blue-collar worker who shows up, says little and does his job. Every team needs a few Mike DeVitos, a classic overachiever. Yet for all his efforts, he gets a pay cut. This is why players hold out.

The Jets have $8.4 million in salary-cap room (not counting rookies), according to a source, so it's not like they needed the space. Perhaps it's an indication they expect to be active in the post-draft free-agent market. We all know they still have some holes to fill.

In other contract news, PK Josh Brown, who signed a one-year deal last week, received $825,000 in base pay, plus a $30,000 signing bonus and a $5,000 roster bonus, according to a source.

I like Mike, I wonder if the Jets plan to bring him back next year? - I know hes a pretty one dimensional player being a run stuffer but he's still only 27 and I'd hate to see him picked up by the Pats at the end of the season.

I hope they work something out for him in the offseason. He's a New York guy, and I like him in our D-line rotation.

"Yet for all his efforts, he gets a pay cut. This is why players hold out. "

He was also a player who walked in off the street with very little "Combine" type WOW numbers. Was given a chance to compete in a defense that highlighted his skills, which weren't really measurable, paid while he developed. Has already earned several million over the last two years. Was well paid last year while he was injured, and is guaranteed $2,500,000 for this years work.

When he left college it probably look like he was going to be a phy ed teacher. (Don't have a clue what his major was)

I'll bet bet DeVito is pretty happy how it all worked out

"Yet for all his efforts, he gets a pay cut. This is why players hold out. "

He was also a player who walked in off the street with very little "Combine" type WOW numbers. Was given a chance to compete in a defense that highlighted his skills, which weren't really measurable, paid while he developed. Has already earned several million over the last two years. Was well paid last year while he was injured, and is guaranteed $2,500,000 for this years work.

When he left college it probably look like he was going to be a phy ed teacher. (Don't have a clue what his major was)

I'll bet bet DeVito is pretty happy how it all worked out

well, he could get a real job

I'll never get why fans are so quick to side with management in these issues. This is typical of Tannenbaum, coming to a player after the FA period has effectively ended to inform him that they'll be cutting the guy's pay. I don't care what the man's origins might be, this is a scummy move. The "honorable thing" would be to do this before the FA signing period begins. If the Jets aren't going to want to pay him, at least they can give him a chance to get paid somewhere else. The Jets break contracts like this all the time.

I can't wait 'til Revis' next holdout so I can vehemently support him once again.

Whats a "solider", Cimini? You idiot.

Even better, when he tweeted about Josh Brown's contract terms, he said he received a $5 roster bonus. The fool never proofreads anything he writes.

I'll never get why fans are so quick to side with management in these issues. This is typical of Tannenbaum, coming to a player after the FA period has effectively ended to inform him that they'll be cutting the guy's pay. I don't care what the man's origins might be, this is a scummy move. The "honorable thing" would be to do this before the FA signing period begins. If the Jets aren't going to want to pay him, at least they can give him a chance to get paid somewhere else. The Jets break contracts like this all the time.

I can't wait 'til Revis' next holdout so I can vehemently support him once again.

+1,000,000

Loyalty is such a fun word to throw around in the NFL.

+1,000,000

Loyalty is such a fun word to throw around in the NFL.

Not a fan of this move whatsoever....Vito is a good soldier, and a solid locker room guy.....Not too sure why teams need to do this to their veteran guys.

But don't throw Tanny under the bus.....most teams use this same tactic.

Not a fan of this move whatsoever....Vito is a good soldier, and a solid locker room guy.....Not too sure why teams need to do this to their veteran guys.

But don't throw Tanny under the bus.....most teams use this same tactic.

Would you mind if I re-posted this for you when Revis holds out?

Neither teams or players are loyal when it comes to contracts in the NFL. Sad but true.

True. It's interesting from the fan's side, watching how they'll hate on a player who holds out. If a player doesn't squeeze the team for every penny they can get while they have any leverage at all, that's money they're leaving on the table.

I will always side with the players though. Their contracts aren't guaranteed. If they have a great year, the team is like "honor your contract". If the player has a poor year it's "you'll have to take a pay cut". The day I see a coach or GM take a pay cut for the team performing poorly is the day I may side with management.

The difference from a fan's perspective is that if the Jets pay less to a player then they have more with which to pay other players. Conversely, if Revis gets more of the salary cap pie then the Jets will have less money with which to restock the roster. But I'm sure you know this.

Isn't that over-dramatic? And isn't the fact that you're siding with the players just as (no pun intended) one-sided as those who side with management?

This is the age of the salary cap. You have to work with what you have. You don't pay guys what they are "theoretically" worth to your club, you pay them what you can get away with. In this case, the Jets had a little bit of leverage due to the drafting of Coples.

But let's not act like DeVito got screwed over here, either. There are two sides to this. The pay cut is not that large, all things considered, he gets his money fully guaranteed (which he didn't have) and he gets the chance for the play escalators, anyway.

Also, I will never understand why you seem to take joy from the idea of Revis holding out. I think you did the first time and now you're saying you will again. How much more are they expected to throw at this guy? He will be getting paid like Aaron Rodgers before too long.

Isn't that over-dramatic? And isn't the fact that you're siding with the players just as (no pun intended) one-sided as those who side with management?

This is the age of the salary cap. You have to work with what you have. You don't pay guys what they are "theoretically" worth to your club, you pay them what you can get away with. In this case, the Jets had a little bit of leverage due to the drafting of Coples.

But let's not act like DeVito got screwed over here, either. There are two sides to this. The pay cut is not that large, all things considered, he gets his money fully guaranteed (which he didn't have) and he gets the chance for the play escalators, anyway.

Also, I will never understand why you seem to take joy from the idea of Revis holding out. I think you did the first time and now you're saying you will again. How much more are they expected to throw at this guy? He will be getting paid like Aaron Rodgers before too long.

$700K is no small paycut.

Jets used their leverage, you say? NFL teams use their leverage in this way with players all the time, and Tannenbaum is one of the worst offenders. Yet, when a player decides to use his leverage against the team, he gets criticized for not honoring his contract. To me, it's total BS by virtue of the fact that the teams don't feel compelled to honor contracts, and they rarely get criticized by the fans for their lack of honor.

When all NFL contracts are guaranteed, I'll probably have a different stand on holdouts. In the meantime, I'll support any player who uses his leverage to get more from an NFL club.

"FA period has effectively ended to inform him that they'll be cutting the guy's pay"

What are you talking about? The draft has just ended. It's the middle of the FA period. I'm sure there are a lot of teams out there who wanted to draft a run stuffing DT early, but had more pressing needs.

At this point in time if DeVito is worth $2,5000,000 somebody will surly pay him. The Jets have guaranteed his $2,500,000. That is worth the money to a player who's contract is not guaranteed, and could wind up with 0, or a vets min deal.

Well in the case of DeVito I'm guessing the reason it was done earlier is because they were originally planning on him being a starter, which is apparently no longer the case. Considering that there's additional money guaranteed and he's able to earn everything back via incentives, it's kind of comical that anyone is trying so hard to paint the team as such evil villains to begin with.

As far as supporting another Revis holdout, all that actually proves is that your basis for doing so has absolutely nothing to do with there being any merit to the move, but rather just supporting any time anyone wants to "stick it to the man", regardless of if there is any legitimacy to it, which is really sad. But hey, why would you ever want what's best for the team you supposedly root for, when you can support someone who's been paid tens of millions of dollars by them, going out of his way to screw that team over, right?

What are you talking about? The draft has just ended. It's the middle of the FA period. I'm sure there are a lot of teams out there who wanted to draft a run stuffing DT early, but had more pressing needs.

At this point in time if DeVito is worth $2,5000,000 somebody will surly pay him. The Jets have guaranteed his $2,500,000. That is worth the money to a player who's contract is not guaranteed, and could wind up with 0, or a vets min deal.

I'm talking about all the FA agent money being essentially dried up at this point. The amount he could've made on the open market in the beginning of March was significantly more than he could hope to make today.

Same way Jets fans are hoping they can pick up an inexpensive cast-off to fill an OL void, DeVito would be that DL cast-off now if the Jets let him go.

Well in the case of DeVito I'm guessing the reason it was done earlier is because they were originally planning on him being a starter, which is apparently no longer the case. Considering that there's additional money guaranteed and he's able to earn everything back via incentives, it's kind of comical that anyone is trying so hard to paint the team as such evil villains to begin with.

As far as supporting another Revis holdout, all that actually proves is that your basis for doing so has absolutely nothing to do with there being any merit to the move, but rather just supporting any time anyone wants to "stick it to the man", regardless of if there is any legitimacy to it, which is really sad. But hey, why would you ever want what's best for the team you supposedly root for, when you can support someone who's been paid tens of millions of dollars by them, going out of his way to screw that team over, right?

I'm a fan of the NFL, a league of players who often finish up their lives crippled, or just finish themselves off. It's a brutal sport, and the only major sport that doesn't have guaranteed contracts. So yeah, I certainly side with any player who has enough leverage to stick it to the man when they can. For every one of those, there's a thousand guys who signed contracts with NFL teams only to find themselves forced to take a paycut or out of a job completely.

If you support the action of the franchises, that's fine, but please don't try to use phrases like, "he should honor his contract," when doing so. The NFL doesn't deserve that honor when they don't act honorably themselves.

True. It's interesting from the fan's side, watching how they'll hate on a player who holds out. If a player doesn't squeeze the team for every penny they can get while they have any leverage at all, that's money they're leaving on the table.

the only reason fans care is the hard cap. when is the last time anyone cared what a baseball player signed for ? when is the last time there was a hold out in any sport besides the NFL ?

and mangold showed everyone how a grown up conducts business

truth

the only reason fans care is the hard cap. when is the last time anyone cared what a baseball player signed for ? when is the last time there was a hold out in any sport besides the NFL ?

and mangold showed everyone how a grown up conducts business

truth

Mangold doesn't play a position where a torn MCL would effectively end his career as an elite player. Go ask Terrell Thomas of the Giants how awesome it is to be an up and coming corner and have your knee blow out on you in a preseason game right before you were able to cash in. Dude was essentially forced to sign a 4 year deal that's pretty much all incentive-based and which makes him eminently cuttable in 2013. While, yes, that's just sh*tty luck, it highlights why a player like Revis needs to get every penny up front. If Revis breaks his ankle in the first game, he's spending the next two years of his life trying in vain to not get his contract ripped up in front of his face by Tannenbaum.

I'm talking about all the FA agent money being essentially dried up at this point. The amount he could've made on the open market in the beginning of March was significantly more than he could hope to make today.

Same way Jets fans are hoping they can pick up an inexpensive cast-off to fill an OL void, DeVito would be that DL cast-off now if the Jets let him go.

Unless there was a team that was in love with DeVito I don't think he would be a player that a team would jump out at on the opening week of FA to make sure they got him. He's a nice player, and I'm glad he's a Jet. he's not a game changing DT one way or the other.

I think before signing a player like DeVito teams would have waited to see what the draft yielded. A bad thing that a team can do is give a better then average player a contract, then have the position fall to them in the draft with a better player, and no loner a need.

As far as the contracts go. The end numbers in a contract are just PR for the agents. These $100,000,000 are usually never fulfilled. When the contract is signed the only numbers that matter is the guaranteed money. The teams know this, the agent knows this, and most importantly the player knows this. When the team pays off the guaranteed money they have fulfilled their obligation in the contract. They are not breaking the contract. They are really being paid for what they have already done. In order to get the rest of the money they have to play at a level to earn it. They must fend off the other players who are trying to take their money.

It isn't the team that is taking their money, another player is.

Archived