Can Ganaway be our feature back?

jetfan4hire

Not a big fan of our current stable of RBs. Greene is an ok straight ahead runner but has no wiggle, break away speed, and can't catch very well. He gets what is blocked for him and not much else. McKnight is what he is- a 3rd down scat back that won't ever see a huge role in the backfield IMO. Bilal Powell didn't show much of anything last season, and I wasnt very impressed with the oppurtunities he had in preseason though I know it's early to pass judgment.

In Ganaway it looks like the Jets might have their most complete back. A RB thats thickly built and smooth coming out of the backfield catching short passes. I hope that Rex plays the best RB regardless of seniority. Anybody have thoughts on how things might play out this year with the 4 jets RBs?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have seemed to be the only team in the league that seem opposed to playing rookie RBs, as strange as that is. Whether or not that was a Schotty thing or a Jets thing, who really knows, but the only time a Jets pick has seen the field at all his rookie year was Greene and that's only after Leon went on IR. I think a big part of it is the Jets are very hesitant to let a guy on the field who can't handle blitz pickups, which rookies are rarely all that good at, so that will probably go a long way in determining how much of a shot Ganaway has to get on the field. Regardless we'll still see plenty of Greene as he's the closest thing they have to a proven player at the position, and McKnight will still get his reps as he has the most unique skillset of the group.

If anything, I think the difference whether the Jets see enough out of Ganaway and/or Powell to go with more of a committee approach, as if not, it'll probably be Greene taking the lead again with the other guys spelling him. Also don't discount the concept that the Jets could very well simply plan on running Greene into the ground given this is the last year of his contract, with Ganaway set to take over his lead back role next year while McKnight and Powell continue to spell.

By the end of the season it is very possible that Ganaway is the prime back. He looks like a 3 down type of runner. That might actually help Greene go back to the dominant game closer he was. The fact that Ganaway can block, and catch is big. We'll see if he is more then just a power back in the NFL, and can hit the holes with quickness.

Powell looks like a goner to me. As you said he has show 0

The Jets have seemed to be the only team in the league that seem opposed to playing rookie RBs, as strange as that is. Whether or not that was a Schotty thing or a Jets thing, who really knows, but the only time a Jets pick has seen the field at all his rookie year was Greene and that's only after Leon went on IR. I think a big part of it is the Jets are very hesitant to let a guy on the field who can't handle blitz pickups, which rookies are rarely all that good at, so that will probably go a long way in determining how much of a shot Ganaway has to get on the field. Regardless we'll still see plenty of Greene as he's the closest thing they have to a proven player at the position, and McKnight will still get his reps as he has the most unique skillset of the group.

If anything, I think the difference whether the Jets see enough out of Ganaway and/or Powell to go with more of a committee approach, as if not, it'll probably be Greene taking the lead again with the other guys spelling him. Also don't discount the concept that the Jets could very well simply plan on running Greene into the ground given this is the last year of his contract, with Ganaway set to take over his lead back role next year while McKnight and Powell continue to spell.

Excellent point

That's a good point on Greene being in the last year of his contract. I have to believe if he doesn't produce this year he will probably be given his walking papers. He did look pretty good down the stretch last season so I guess we'll see how it goes. I'll have to look and see what the scouting report is on Ganaway at blitz pick up.

That's a good point on Greene being in the last year of his contract. I have to believe if he doesn't produce this year he will probably be given his walking papers. He did look pretty good down the stretch last season so I guess we'll see how it goes. I'll have to look and see what the scouting report is on Ganaway at blitz pick up.

Greene's playing for that second contract, so that certainly helps us. Powell never really got a shot last year, but he looked tiny and tentative with limited reps. Apparently he's gotten bigger this offseason so we'll see.

Ganaway looks like a load and a nice downhill runner....who know's though, he's a 6th round pick.

McKnight is a fringe roster guy at this point, unless Rex has serious plans on playing him both ways.

With a ground and pound team, you can never have enough running backs. I never was happy with the way Schotty plays certain players only occasionally whereas on the defensive side of the ball, there was plenty of substitutions all around. I'm mainly referring to the way it was Greene, and LT, and barely ever anyone else carrying the ball. McKnight got some chances but not enough, and Powell was non-existent. Look at the Saints. They have a ton of running backs and they all seem to play a great deal.

Powell has never had an NFL training camp. Last year, they were in rush mode to get ready for the season, and he wasn't getting any practice reps behind Greene, LT, and McKnight. The fourth round pick deserves a bit of a pass - even though I know that's not the Jet fan way. On paper, he's probably the most well rounded back on the roster. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this summer. I'm not a fan of Greene, either.

Greene is slow and injury prone. McKnight is either a headcase, has poor football IQ, or both. Powell was the exact opposite of impressive last season. The sad thing is, I think Woodhead is a more complete back then any of these guys.

I don't know enough about Ganaway. He had monster production in college, he looks big and tough yet also appears to have agility and he can catch the ball, too. He doesn't have many character issues that I'm aware of. So I don't know why he slipped that far down into the 6th round, but there must have been a good reason.

If I'm the Jets next season, I would just mix it up as much as possible between the four of them. Let them all get reps. That will keep them fresh and hopefully improve their production. Then if you find a hot hand, you stick with it until it cools down!

ganaway ganaway ganaway ganaway ganaway ganaway

he's a big upgrade over what we got, he's a big back, tough and can hit the holes and make teams pay.

This guy will probably be set up for next year and greene will be allowed to run at first but his suckness will get his a$$ benched and ganaway is going to rack up the yards..

just watch

ganaway ganaway ganaway ganaway ganaway ganaway

he's a big upgrade over what we got, he's a big back, tough and can hit the holes and make teams pay.

This guy will probably be set up for next year and greene will be allowed to run at first but his suckness will get his a$$ benched and ganaway is going to rack up the yards..

just watch

Everything you hear about this guy is positive. Do you know why he fell to the 6th round? He seems like a 2nd/3rd round pick based on the way people describe him.

Greene is explosive?

coming out, they both had about 37 inch vert so let's call explosion a wash.

people say Greene is slow. Ganaway is slower.

Ganaway might be more of a threat to Conner than Greene. Or he might not make the roster at all. I saw him up close in Mobile and there was no flash or reason to think he'd be a player. Greene delivers a blow when he meets the tackler, Ganaway goes down easy for a guy that big. Ganaway certainly has better hands tho.

keep in mind that charlie casserly assigned a 9% success rate to picks in the 6th or 7th round, statistically speaking it's highly improbable than any more than 1 of these day 3 picks are decent. Right now my money is on 1 safety, either Bush or Allen.

I think it may have been Schottys' perception of how compliacated his offense was to learn. With all the shifts and stuff it would be tuff for a young kid to get an idea right away on what they had to do in relation to blitz pick up. Just a guess but very well could be. Sparano seems to more of a straight on guy that seems to like big physical backs that grind people grills into the turf. I think we have a very good chance of seeing the best back out their by the middle of the year.

With all the shifts and stuff

Thankfully all of that shift will be gone...hopefully. I hated all of that presnap BS out of the base offense, it only served to confuse the Jets more than the opponent. At least when Tebow's in you know we'll be seeing some crazy formations, but the base offense should be "here we are, this is what we're doing, we're running it down your throat, now try to stop us".

Greene's playing for that second contract, so that certainly helps us. Powell never really got a shot last year, but he looked tiny and tentative with limited reps. Apparently he's gotten bigger this offseason so we'll see.

Ganaway looks like a load and a nice downhill runner....who know's though, he's a 6th round pick.

McKnight is a fringe roster guy at this point, unless Rex has serious plans on playing him both ways.

I dont know why McKnight is viewed as on the fringe while Powell is not. McKnight contributes big time on special teams albeit he fumbles a lot.

i suspect they keep 5 RB. Greene & Ganaway as the Thumpers and McKnight & Powell as the Scat Backs with Conner as the FB.

Agreed. They did last year, not sure why anyone thinks this year will be any different. Especially considering they were willing to do it last year despite having a far more proven back on the roster (LT).

I dont know why McKnight is viewed as on the fringe while Powell is not. McKnight contributes big time on special teams albeit he fumbles a lot.

JMO. I got the feeling last year they had made up their minds on McKnight as a running back...and other than his return against Baltimore, Cro did a better job on the KOR(which is a position ebing phased out anyway)

They're both probably going to battle for that roster spot. The only reason I'd list Powell ahead is because there's still potential there, while I get the feeling they dont think McKnight is going to get any better.

JMO. I got the feeling last year they had made up their minds on McKnight as a running back...and other than his return against Baltimore, Cro did a better job on the KOR(which is a position ebing phased out anyway)

They're both probably going to battle for that roster spot. The only reason I'd list Powell ahead is because there's still potential there, while I get the feeling they dont think McKnight is going to get any better.

Alright Ill give you that. I just think there has to be a reason that Powell got significantly less carries than McKnight

I think having LT on the team actually stunted the growth of all of the RB's last year. Schotty was infatuated with him from their time together in San Diego. None of the young RB's ever got any meaningful playing time under Schotty. You had your starter, and the backup, and that was essentially it as far as who gets in the game. McKnight got involved some late, but never really featured. He was just another body out there.

This again? Really?

I would take Woodhead over McKnight and Powell without blinking.

I would probably flip a coin between him and Greene, leaning more towards Woodhead though.

Woodhead is more explosive and can catch the ball out of the backfield whereas Greene has more power and is a better blocker.

Also remember that opponents are playing the pass first against the Pats. Plus they have an OL that is allowed to hold on every play, and that will make any RB look good. Woodhead was a good underdog story, but his playing time appears to be getting reduced in NE, at least it appeared that way last year.

i suspect they keep 5 RB. Greene & Ganaway as the Thumpers and McKnight & Powell as the Scat Backs with Conner as the FB.

Could you have used a term for McKnight and Powell that isn't slang for crap? It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy when you say it like that. ;)

Also remember that opponents are playing the pass first against the Pats. Plus they have an OL that is allowed to hold on every play, and that will make any RB look good. Woodhead was a good underdog story, but his playing time appears to be getting reduced in NE, at least it appeared that way last year.

Sure didn't seem that way in the Super Bowl.

Archived