Grading the 2009 draft: Jets

Ryno the Jet

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Grading the 2009 draft: Jets

By James Walker

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

The AFC East blog continues its series on grading the 2009 NFL draft. We continue Wednesday with the New York Jets.

nyj.gifHere were the picks:

The good: Despite few draft picks, all three members are still with the team and are starters. Media and fans have been critical of Sanchez, Greene and Slauson for various reasons. But you can't deny this trio cracked the starting lineup early in their careers. The Jets didn't hit home runs with these picks, but they did hit.

The bad: Questions still remain about this trio. The Jets traded most of their draft to the Cleveland Browns to get Sanchez at No. 5 overall. New York was convinced he was the franchise quarterback, but Sanchez has had an up and down career thus far in New York. Greene was better as a backup than a starter but did have his first 1,000-yard season in 2011.

Grade: B-

Others for comparison:

Monday, May 7, 2012

Grading 2009 draft: Bills

By James Walker

One of the biggest requests we get in our AFC East inbox and on Twitter is to grade a team's 2012 NFL draft. It's something that's popular, but I usually avoid it because a lot can happen. Players underachieve, players overachieve, players get injured, etc.

But the question prompted another idea that came to mind this week. Why not grade AFC East drafts from three years ago? That's more fair and accurate.

buf.gifSo throughout the week we're going to grade the 2009 drafts of the division's teams. Monday we start with the Buffalo Bills.

Here were their picks:

The good: The Bills got value and production with three of their top picks -- Wood, Byrd and Levitre. They are all full-time starters and part of Buffalo's foundation. Wood and Levitre are borderline Pro Bowl players and should be good for a long time. Byrd is a playmaker in the secondary. These are the kind of solid players you want in the first two rounds.

The bad: Maybin sticks out like a sore thumb in this draft. The Bills were enamored with Maybin and took him No. 11 overall. He turned out to be one of the biggest draft busts in recent memory in the AFC East. On top of that, Maybin was cut by Buffalo last year and played well in a new system with the rival New York Jets. Nelson, although a fourth-round pick, showed early promise but never did much after his rookie year.

Final grade: B

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Grading 2009 draft: Dolphins

By James Walker

The AFC East blog continues its series this week on grading the 2009 NFL draft. Tuesday we take a look at the Miami Dolphins.

mia.gifHere were their picks:

• Round 7: LB J.D. Folsom

The good: This was a solid draft where Miami was able to find three starters. Davis and Smith three years later remain Miami's starting cornerbacks, and Hartline has turned into a nice find at wide receiver. Hartline is currently Miami's No. 1 receiver entering the 2012 season. That's not a great sign for the team, but it does prove Hartline's hard work and development as a former fourth-round pick.

The bad: The White pick is something that's still talked about in Miami. It was a controversial pick by former Dolphins president Bill Parcells. The Dolphins were in their Wildcat prime and thought White could add a special element to the formation. But White was a bust in one year and is now out of the league. Turner, a third-rounder, was beat out by Hartline and is now with the Jets and new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, Miami's former head coach.

Grade: B-

On Thursday, we will conclude our draft series with the reigning AFC champion New England Patriots.

Sounds pretty fair. The draft will ultimately get decided based on whether or not Sanchez gets his crap together this year. If not, the draft was a failure and if so, a success. The Greene and Slauson picks were both solid, no more, no less. Given the stable of backs behind Greene, it's pretty clear they're going to let him walk next year, so they spent a mid round pick to run a guy into the ground for 4 years, which isn't the worst strategy in the world and he's been solid if unspectacular at it. As far as Slauson, he's far from an all star but there's no way you can be unhappy with a 6th round pick who's a starter by his second year and does a pretty decent job there. You can easily make an argument that he was the Jets best OL not named Mangold last year.

Also remember that Slauson was basically playing with one arm from all accounts and the fact that he was the best OL not named Mangold is even more impressive.

I guess the Pats and their A+ draft will be tomorrow :rolleyes:

Walker is a tool. The Jets swapped 1sts and traded their 2nd (along with 3 players) for Sanchez, not most of their picks. Whatever...

So each team evaluated here got three starters out of the deal, and all have similar grades. That would seem rational, until you weigh that the Jets only made three selections. What I find most interesting is the Jets have been a better team than the Bills or Dolphins since 2009, and the Jets managed to find situational roles for two of the Bill's cast offs from this same draft and one from the Dolphins as well.

I am sure the Patriots review will result in an A+, even though it was mostly crap:

2a Pat Chung, SS, Oregon

2b Ron Brace, DT, Boston College

2c Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut

2d Sebastian Vollmer, OL, Houston

3a Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina

3b Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida

4 Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State

5 George Bussey, OL, Louisville

6a Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii

6b Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky

7a Julian Edelman, WR, Kent State

7b Darryl Richard, DT, Georgia Tech

I am sure the Patriots review will result in an A+, even though it was mostly crap:

2a Pat Chung, SS, Oregon

2b Ron Brace, DT, Boston College

2c Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut

2d Sebastian Vollmer, OL, Houston

3a Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina

3b Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida

4 Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State

5 George Bussey, OL, Louisville

6a Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii

6b Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky

7a Julian Edelman, WR, Kent State

7b Darryl Richard, DT, Georgia Tech

Wow that's a bad draft.

The Jets main pick is not working out as they've hoped, even if he's not a full on bust.. Greene hasn't been anything special either, with his best moments coming as a backup. Slauson has been a starter by default, been average at best.

It' can't be higher than a C, 3 starters out of 3 but no stars. I don't think it was a great draft.

We got fleeced by the Browns in 2009. We gave up the better QB in the package plus they got 2 more picks and players out of it.

LOL. You must be kidding me.

Sanchez sucks, but this hard-on some people have for Ratliff is a freakin' joke. The guy is absolutely nothing in the NFL, he couldn't even make it past #3 of such brilliant QB lineups as the Jets and Browns. You don't have to like the Sanchez pick itself, but the Jets made out like bandits on that trade up.

You guys are mental. We traded up to #5 overall to draft Mark ******* Sanchez. If Greene and Slauson turn into 1st-ballot Hall of Famers, that draft is still no better than a D for that reason alone.

I don't think you can fairly demonize a team for trading up for a QB when the onus in the league is getting yourself a franchise guy (even though few really work out when all is said and done). In hindsight the best move would have been to send Rex to Favre's house, but its easy to say that now.

Not to mention, we didn't give up all that much to make the move with Cleveland. If we had been fleeced in the deal for a sh*tty QB, then yes, a D would be deserving. But we didn't.

I agree that the B- grade is too high, especially since the rationale is "well, all 3 are still starters, so that's good!". But C is the lowest I'd go.

When the franchise guy is as bad as Sanchez, you absolutely can.

For as much as Sanchez stinks, come on.

They've made the playoffs twice with him starting, went 8-8 last year...and he did actually throw 26 td passes. He isnt a collosall bust like you want him to be.

When the franchise guy is as bad as Sanchez, you absolutely can.

This is true, and in hindsight bash away, but I don't think you can argue against the logic at the time the decision was made to trade up, especially given the bargain we got for that 5th pick.

It could be a lot worse than Sanchez

Guys who are a lot worse than Sanchez generally don't cost the #5 overall pick.

This is true, and in hindsight bash away, but I don't think you can argue against the logic at the time the decision was made to trade up, especially given the bargain we got for that 5th pick.

It's all of a piece. The bargain looks a lot worse when you realize that we could have basically the same guy in Josh Freeman 10+ spots later and still kept our 2nd-rounder.

It's all of a piece. The bargain looks a lot worse when you realize that we could have basically the same guy in Josh Freeman 10+ spots later and still kept our 2nd-rounder.

Yeah, I considered that. It's a shame that we passed on Freeman simply because not enough of his teammates wanted to catch practice passes from him. Or something like that. I bet he takes a step forward next year, unlike Sanchez.

Guys who are a lot worse than Sanchez generally don't cost the #5 overall pick.

Jamarcus Russell 1st overall

Joey Harrington 3rd overall

David Carr 1st overall

Tim Couch 1st overall

Akili Smith 3rd overall

Ryan Leaf 2nd overall

Vince Young 3rd overall

Jamarcus Russell 1st overall

Joey Harrington 3rd overall

David Carr 1st overall

Tim Couch 1st overall

Akili Smith 3rd overall

Ryan Leaf 2nd overall

Vince Young 3rd overall

Sorry. To clarify: guys who are a lot worse than Sanchez generally don't cost the #5 overall pick, in a trade-up, when an equivalent QB is sitting there at #17. The fact that other highly-drafted QBs have also been sh*tty doesn't somehow excuse Tannenbaum's inability to acquire a good one.

Sorry. To clarify: guys who are a lot worse than Sanchez generally don't cost the #5 overall pick, in a trade-up, when an equivalent QB is sitting there at #17. The fact that other highly-drafted QBs have also been sh*tty doesn't somehow excuse Tannenbaum's inability to acquire a good one.

Im not excusing Tannenbaum I started the Fire Tanny thread. Just saying it could be worse then Sanchez

LOL. You must be kidding me.

Sanchez sucks, but this hard-on some people have for Ratliff is a freakin' joke. The guy is absolutely nothing in the NFL, he couldn't even make it past #3 of such brilliant QB lineups as the Jets and Browns. You don't have to like the Sanchez pick itself, but the Jets made out like bandits on that trade up.

You guys must not watch the Pre Season, Him and Clowney where practically HOF bound and we let them walk.

Archived