New York Jets Quarterback Mark Sanchez 5.10

Maxman

New York Jets Quarterback Mark Sanchez 5.10

On what it’s like to have all the guys back together…

It’s been great. It’s just good to see everybody again. I think there’s a good vibe going around the building. It’s positive and we’re happy to be back. Coach Sparano’s been working us hard on offense and Bill Hughan has been great with the strength program and conditioning. Guys showed up in shape and ready to start another year, so that’s positive.

On his thoughts on last season…

I think everybody’s moved on and we’re ready to attack this new year and get off to a good start.

On his relationship with Tim Tebow…

It’s been great, so far. Tim is obviously a hard worker and he’s competitive. I thinks it’s been nothing but positive, to this point, and that’s what I anticipate in the future. It’s been fun.

On whether it’s a relationship where they push each other…

Of course. Whether we are in the weight room or on the field, you compete against yourself every day, that’s for sure. And whoever the other quarterbacks are, whether it was Mark Brunell last year or it happens to be Tim this year, you are always going to have other quarterbacks in the room and it’s your job to push each other - in the class room as well. So he’s been a great addition for us and he’s been fun to work with.

On whether he is concerned with Tebow wanting to be the starter…

I hope every back-up quarterback wants the job as the starter. That’s the way you have to prepare. I’ve been in those shoes in college, anticipating the game, studying like I’m the starter and then getting to the game and not playing, so fortunately for Tim he has the ability to do other things and that’s why he’s on board. So he’s a back-up quarterback first and then he’ll do plenty of other stuff.

On the dynamic of Tebow coming in to the game after he’s moved them down the field…

It’s yet to be seen and yet to be talked about too much. We are taking things slow and that will be up to the coaches, so we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

On whether there is one or two offenses…

You’ve got to talk to Coach Sparano about that.

On what type of guy Tebow is…

He’s been great - everything as advertised. As positive, as competitive, he’s fun to be around as everybody’s already mentioned. I didn’t expect anything different and that’s exactly what he is, so it’s been great to work with him.

On if Tebow on the team has challenged him…

I don’t know. I guess in some ways it makes things easier, it makes it harder on you guys. It’s been fun. Nothing’s been too tough to handle. We’ve been great about going out on the field, being in the class room watching film together, it’s an ongoing working relationship and that’s the way its got to be and that’s the way you want that quarterback room to work. We’re fortunate enough to have Coach Sparano and then Coach Cavanaugh back. That’s huge for us. I was thrilled when they decided to keep him and Tim and I will both benefit from that.

On how difficult it has been for Tebow to go from the starter to the back-up quarterback…

You’d have to ask Tim. I’ve never been in that position. But, even if it is difficult on him, you’d never know. He’s just that guy that goes to work every day and works hard and brings his best. That’s the way he is, so you would never know it. If that is the case, I have no idea.

On meeting with Santonio Holmes in the offseason and if it helped them grow…

Absolutely. One, it was good to just kind of talk away from the building, away from football, and talk about the things that didn’t go so well last year and how we can move on and get better and as soon as we came back that we’d never talk about it again and let’s just move forward. And that’s exactly what he’s done and that’s what I expect him to do. He expected the same from me. It was important that we had that time and now we’re back and you would never know it happened.

On if their disagreement last season was overblown…

I mean, ridiculously. (It was) out of control. That was way overblown. But it was good. It gave us something to laugh about and move on. We’re good.

On the fans cheering for Tebow in the wildcat…

I mean, they are cheering for the Jets.

On if the fans calling for another quarterback will test his mental toughness…

I’m really not too worried about it and I don’t want to get into hypotheticals. I think, whatever we do, whatever Coach Sparano installs is going to be successful. That’s the way he is and he’s had success just about everywhere he’s been and this place will be no different. So we’ll handle that when we get there, but we’re excited to get things going.

On the difference with Coach Sparano…

I’m not going to compare (Coach Sparano and Coach Schottenheimer), but as far as Coach Sparano goes, he’s been stern. He’s great at installing plays. He’s been great on the field for the time that we’ve had on the field. He’s to the point. He’s a no nonsense guy. He’s exactly what we need and we’re excited about his arrival. He’s really pushing us.

On how players react to Coach Sparano’s coaching style…

That’s all we know. It’s good. It’s been great so far. These first three weeks or so have been exactly what we needed - just put your head down and go to work - a real team atmosphere, Coach Sparano preaches that - lifting other guys up, pushing each other and really competing and that’s what our team has done on offense.

On how he will benfit from Coach Sparano’s system…

(There are) a number of things I’ve noticed. He expects a lot of you, but he’s fair. He’ll remind you each day exactly what we’re going over. Just like a game plan, he’ll let you know, “We’re going to work on a specific situation, here’s what I expect.” And if doesn’t happen, that’s when you hear the coach Sparano that everyone talks about. So that the most important thing. But at the same time, I said he’s fair. When you throw a good ball, when somebody runs a good route, when you get the answer right, that’s what he wants and he expects it, but he also rewards you for that and lets you know. Just his demeanor will be great for us. He’s going to be fun to work with.

On his goals for the offseason…

Just starting with this first couple of weeks, one of these things is in the weight room, to really push myself and get a little stronger, a little thicker and maintain my agility, my speed and things like that. That was number one physically. Mentally, obviously with the new system, it’s just getting the system down and trying to master it. That’s where I am at right now, and we’ll just take it in phases.

On whether he needs someone to push him…

I’m the kind of guy that competes against myself at all times. Whether Tim is here, or there is another backup quarterback, I’m always competing with myself first and then whoever else is in the room, so it doesn’t matter either way. But (Tebow) has been great to work with and I’m excited to keep working with him.

On the criticism of him last season…

It’s something that we dealt with last year and we moved on. I don’t think anyone really wants to go there anymore.

On if he has to come off the field for an entire series…

I’m not going to jump into hypotheticals, but whatever is helping us win, we’re all on board. Tim is going to support me when I’m in there, I’ll be rooting for Tim when he’s in there, and it’s all going to help the team.

On if Tebow coming in would affect his rhythm…

I’m not too worried about it, I’m really not. I’m just trying to get through this playbook, not get too far ahead of myself and take things in stride and just be sharp and master each part of the playbook as it comes.

On quarterbacks needing to be in a rhythm in general…

You go through streaks at times, where you get hot for a second, so who knows. But like I said, I’m not going to get into hypotheticals about that stuff.

On players waiting to see what a Tebow package would be…

We’ve done plenty of things and we’re just taking the offense in stride. So, that’s all I’ll really say about it.

On how he feels physically…

I feel great, this is probably the best I’ve felt coming into a season.

On any injuries from last season…

I feel great. I worked hard in the weight room before we got back, Bill (Hughan) is continuing to push me and push my limits and that’s exactly what I needed. That was one of my goals coming in.

On improving his physical conditioning…

(I am) just pushing myself (in the weight room). (Concentrating on) upper body strength and lower body strength and isolating specific muscle groups to help with everything on the field and keep it functional. So it’s been great and Bill has a great program for us.

On not being consulted about the Tebow trade by the management…

That’s their decision. The personnel issues on this team, that’s for them to decide. They don’t have to check with anybody on the team.

On if he would have preferred to hear about the trade before it was made…

That’s really a hypothetical.

On the support for him in the locker room…

I’m not really going to get into hypotheticals about but I feel good about my position here as the starting quarterback and I’ll just keep going with that.

On if bringing Tebow in created doubt with where he stands…

Not at all.

On his relationship with Tebow…

He’s been great. Everything is as advertised. He’s a hard working guy, he’s competitive, he’s fun to be around and he’s a good teammate. Those are all the reasons why you want a guy like that on your team and you want to help you win. So, it’s going to be a good relationship, it’s been good so far and I anticipate it being good in the future.

On what he and Tebow have joked about…

I don’t want to get Tim in trouble. I’m just kidding. He’s got an image to protect. (joking) No, he’s great.

On Dustin Keller’s comments that he and Tebow would not be able to joke if they were enemies…

Tim and I are great, so, it’s all good.

On if he is tired of the questions about Tebow and him…

No, not yet. It’s only May.

On getting questions about Tebow for the next nine months…

That’s part of the job.

The Tebow signing for as much as I hated it at first...makes a little more sense now.

We did hear those rumblings last year that Sanchez was lazy etc....Tebow clearly isnt...which is pretty much forcing Mark to put in the time because you know Tebow will.

That said, I doubt he gets much better.

The Tebow signing for as much as I hated it at first...makes a little more sense now.

We did hear those rumblings last year that Sanchez was lazy etc....Tebow clearly isnt...which is pretty much forcing Mark to put in the time because you know Tebow will.

He'll be a HOF QB and Tebow will be a HOF Fullback. lol.

i think sanchez is a slacker and tebow is going to make him improve

Archived