Highly Entertianing - Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless

BornJetsFan1983

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7928452&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>
[/CODE]

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7928452

I have been watching these little debates they do, a new one every couple of days and I have to say I dont hate Stephen A Smith as much now. If you have been missing these watch'em. Worth the time....

Stephen Smith thinks he is friends with everyone and has "inside connections" about everything. Pass on that arrogant douche.

Skip Bayless said he could beat Reggie Bush in a physical workout which included strength. Delusional douche.

Pass.

Skip bayless is very seriously in my top 3 people I despise and would like to punch in the face. He is the worst. Ironically I first began really hating him last season with the whole tebow crapola he would say.

Stephen A. is pretty good thou. I actually just like how he says "so disrespectful!" when skip bayless says stupid stuff. Haha. Anyways both are really ridiculous. I really am not lookin forward to hearing skip talk about my jets now that tebow is on the team.

I don't know guys, I mean I don't like these two at all, in fact I would say I hated them, their opinions what ever for as long as I remember. I actually distinctly remember hating smith alot because his opinions are garbage, all those on the street of new york segments, anyway...Im just saying they grew on me. I think I have seen those two go at each other on the tebow subject like 5 or 6 imes and now I enjoy it. I like how they argue, its entertaining.

And if you don't agree with me then you're racist.

I don't know guys, I mean I don't like these two at all, in fact I would say I hated them, their opinions what ever for as long as I remember. I actually distinctly remember hating smith alot because his opinions are garbage, all those on the street of new york segments, anyway...Im just saying they grew on me. I think I have seen those two go at each other on the tebow subject like 5 or 6 imes and now I enjoy it. I like how they argue, its entertaining.

a racist hahaha smith is just a duma$$, nothing smart ever to say big mouth

While I agree with you I'm racist, I would hate Stephen A. Smith if I was blacker then Wesly Snipes tuning into him on the radio for the first time

While I agree with you I'm racist, I would hate Stephen A. Smith if I was blacker then Wesly Snipes tuning into him on the radio for the first time

lol i didnt think anyone agree, the whole point at the end was to say something you werent... ahh nevermind...go watch the videos..

It's just an act to get viewing figures...car crash tv/radio...they are just doing their job.

I think we all understand that. It is HOW they are doing their job that is disgraceful. Old time sports journalists didn't have to resort to sideshow freaks to do their jobs. It used to be that the news was enough, now there is this manufactured demand for "drama".

When ESPN left the news business and got into the "drama" business, they abandoned their brand. It's pathetic.

Skip Bayless could very well be the single dumbest person in all of sports. How do people like this keep jobs ?

In Skip's case, the people in charge at ESPN have compromised attaining short-term results by centering their content around "shock" "turmoil" and "drama" rather than substance. It's a complete shift in the brand model, and one I wish they'd move away from, but it is what it is. Media brands are defined by their content... and ESPN's content is for all intents and purposes, the sports equivalent of smut.

Until a brand comes along and demonstrates that you can achieve the same business goals (ratings, mindshare, etc) with substantiative content, ESPN will likely continue in this model.

In Skip's case, the people in charge at ESPN have compromised attaining short-term results by centering their content around "shock" "turmoil" and "drama" rather than substance. It's a complete shift in the brand model, and one I wish they'd move away from, but it is what it is. Media brands are defined by their content... and ESPN's content is for all intents and purposes, the sports equivalent of smut.

Until a brand comes along and demonstrates that you can achieve the same business goals (ratings, mindshare, etc) with substantiative content, ESPN will likely continue in this model.

Yeah I agree NFL network follows the same pattern with guys like Ciciiano

I have to admit, this show with Stephen A. and Skip is funnier than any comedy you could go rent on dvd. Especially when Tebow is the topic. I've never seen anyone so gay for a player in my life like Skip is for Tebow, he actually thinks he walks on water.

yeah you're being a little dramatic..

they're simply appealing to their daytime demographic. who's home during the day and watching ESPN? Mostly college kids, guys too lazy to work, stoners etc. They see the kind of ratings these dudes give to Jersey Shore so they have to ham it up with some yelling and discord. They're giving them what they want.

You don't see a lot of this faux drama on ESPN after 5 or so...

if that was true a guy like Chick Corea would be a household name and Brittney Spears would be unknown

yeah you're being a little dramatic..

they're simply appealing to their daytime demographic. who's home during the day and watching ESPN? Mostly college kids, guys too lazy to work, stoners etc. They see the kind of ratings these dudes give to Jersey Shore so they have to ham it up with some yelling and discord. They're giving them what they want.

You don't see a lot of this faux drama on ESPN after 5 or so...

Actually, no.

You are correct in that they are appealing to A daytime demographic. Just not what used to be their daytime demographic.

ESPN made a strategic brand decision at some point to go after the same demo that Jerry Springer goes after. It was a decision that contradicted everything their brand stood for before they made this shift with their content. However, it is a decision that has immediate financial benefit. They are going for the quick dollar instead of the long-term brand strength. Not a big deal, but it does represent a shift from what they built themselves on.

I agree with your perspective on it, but it doesn't make what I'm saying about a strategic brand shift inaccurate.

if that was true a guy like Chick Corea would be a household name and Brittney Spears would be unknown

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm implying that ESPN is chasing the quick buck and positioning behind gossip, and opting out of long-term brand building behind integrity.

IF a competitor pops up and proves you can make the quick buck, and sustain a level of integrity, then ESPN will shift to that model, I'm sure.

Actually, no.

You are correct in that they are appealing to A daytime demographic. Just not what used to be their daytime demographic.

ESPN made a strategic brand decision at some point to go after the same demo that Jerry Springer goes after. It was a decision that contradicted everything their brand stood for before they made this shift with their content. However, it is a decision that has immediate financial benefit. They are going for the quick dollar instead of the long-term brand strength. Not a big deal, but it does represent a shift from what they built themselves on.

I agree with your perspective on it, but it doesn't make what I'm saying about a strategic brand shift inaccurate.

understand your point but again.. think you're painting with broad strokes. the style your commenting on is isolated to daytime programming - as far as I can tell. When I'm home during the day I notice a significant difference in the amount of manufactured debate compared to their evening shows. They're basically going for male counter programming to the View.

if a George Michaels Sports Machine type show got the type of ratings that Skip and Smith yelling at each other does, that's what they'd be airing.

It continues...

http://espn.go.com/b...lking-tim-tebow

Gruden sells Tebow to Smith. Smith still not buying...

Damn it I was going to post this, I just saw it.

lol I like seeing smith all sad...im seriously this is going to play out all season.

Im not sure if I agree about the fix being in for Sanchez...but these two swear to it

Archived