Point Pleasant To Start Closing Bars At Midnight

RutgersJetFan

Wow, looks like they've finally had enough. Wonder how this will fare for Jenks in the long term.

Point Pleasant Beach makes bars close at midnight

Posted: May 15, 2012 9:37 PM CDTUpdated: May 15, 2012 10:05 PM CDT

By WAYNE PARRY, AP

POINT PLEASANT BEACH, N.J. (AP) -- Bars in the Jersey shore town Point Pleasant Beach will have to close at midnight starting in July under an ordinance approved by the borough council.

But a separate measure that would permit the bars to continue to stay open until 2 a.m. if they pay an extra fee aimed at funding additional police patrols was postponed Tuesday night.

The council approved the early closure in response to complaints from residents about bar patrons returning to their cars in the early morning hours with screaming, fighting and damaging property.

The restrictions take effect July 1.

The boardwalk bars had offered $800,000 over five years to help pay for police patrols. But their lawsuit against parking restrictions near beachfront bars didn't sit well with the council.

this is interesting. jenks and martels will work it out though. no way they are closing before 2am.

I don't know man, Belmar started taking similar steps a while back with some of the tickets and ordinances for summer houses. It seems like some of the bigger shore towns that attract the 20's crowds are finally fed up with some of the nonsense. Sucks, but I get it. I would never want to be a resident of Belmar or Pt. Pleasant, there's too much crap you're dealing with for half the year.

I don't know man, Belmar started taking similar steps a while back with some of the tickets and ordinances for summer houses. It seems like some of the bigger shore towns that attract the 20's crowds are finally fed up with some of the nonsense. Sucks, but I get it. I would never want to be a resident of Belmar or Pt. Pleasant, there's too much crap you're dealing with for half the year.

I hear you...Belmar hit up the homeowners hard years ago. You rent your house to someone and you are responsible to an extent for their actions.

With Point though, those two bars are SO big. I just think it is going to be impossible to get them to shut down at midnight. But if they do, we will all just go to Seaside Heights instead, lol.

I hear you...Belmar hit up the homeowners hard years ago. You rent your house to someone and you are responsible to an extent for their actions.

The fines went up an insane degree too. Also I may be remembering this incorrectly but I think they also instituted some sort of 3-strike rule with noise violations for renters.

There's certainly some truth to that, and while I think they're looking to calm things down to an extent, the town also isn't stupid enough not to know the amount of money they'll be costing themselves if they go too far with it. The fact that there's already a proposal on the table to let bars buy the right to stay open only further supports that.

wow.. crazy.. so the arcades will be open later then the bars... maybe they'd close earlier too

That's funny. The neighbors might complain and try to pass a "crane game law". Can't be playing the crane game at 1am.

Archived