Sparano, New Sheriff-in-Town

flgreen

Players try to avoid wrath of Sparano

May, 16, 2012

May 16

9:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The Tony Sparano/new-sheriff-in-town story already is getting a lot of play, but TE Dustin Keller made some interesting remarks Tuesday night at the annual United Way Gridiron Gala at the Waldorf Astoria in Manhattan.

Keller made no mention of former O.C. Brian Schottenheimer, but he observed that "guys are playing more attention to details now, more than ever." And to think, training camp hasn't even begun. The Jets are in the infancy stage of the season.

If a player makes a mental mistake, Sparano "is coming down on you," Keller said. "That’s how it’s going to be all season. I think he definitely runs a tighter ship than I've seen from anyone before. He’s not going to let guys slip up. That’s when problems arise. It’s going to continue. You can tell, it's not a one-day thing or an OTA thing. This thing is going to keep on going and going. I think we need it."

Keller, smiling, added, "Most guys, when they’re yelling, they lose their voice eventually. But he can maintain it for a long time."

Haha. I'm excited to see what Sparano can bring and what we can see differently from the Schotty era.

Live in S Florida, and am exposed to the Fish quite a bit. I wasn't very impressed with their offense over the last few years. I was very surprised when the Jets hired Sparano.

I guess his philosophy goes along with Rex's. Maybe he's a better OC then he was a HC. Maybe

Jets' Dustin Keller says Tony Sparano will hold offense accountable

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_dustin_keller_says_tony_s.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 3:40 AM Updated: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 3:46 AM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11028843-large.jpg

John O'Boyle / The Star-LedgerJets tight end Dustin Keller said Tony Sparano runs a tighter ship than any coach he's ever had.

NEW YORK -- New Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano's in-your-face, no-nonsense style has drawn positive reviews so far, and tight end Dustin Keller said the biggest key is that Sparano will hold players accountable for their performance.

"He definitely runs a tighter ship than I've seen from anyone before, and he’s not going to let anyone slip up," Keller said last night at the United Way's Gridiron Gala, where Jets right guard Brandon Moore and Giants right guard Chris Snee were honored for their community service. "I think that’s when problems do arise. It’s going to continue. You can tell it’s not just a one day or an OTA thing, this thing is going to keep on going and going, and I think we need it."

Keller joked that he's surprised Sparano's voice is as strong as it is after nearly three decades of coaching. He didn't go so far as to say there was a lack of accountability last year under former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, but Keller has seen a difference.

"When Sparano is in there talking, all eyes are on him," Keller said. "It’s a change. Before, I would say it was a little more laid-back. But with him it’s more stern, and he just has everybody’s attention, and I think guys are paying more attention to details now more than ever."

Keller added: "Most all the guys have been very accountable to themselves, to the things they're doing, but I think this year more than ever. Everything from the details of how far you need to line up and everything, guys already have that stuff down, and if you don’t, he’s kind of coming down on you. And that’s how it’s going to be all season, you can already tell."

Keller also echoed what coach Rex Ryan recently hinted, that Sparano's system allows players to help each other more, instead of for instance leaving a tackle out on an island. Keller said there are more calls designated for specific situations, rather than catch-all calls, taking the gray area out. The additional calls also give the Jets more chances to use double teams, he said.

"There are a lot more options for us to help each other out in this," Keller said. "We have a lot more calls, so it's more stuff you have to memorize, but in the grand scheme of things, we’re all going to be able to help each other out a lot more. It's hard to give any exact examples, but it is, it’s there."

Keller said the Jets are still focusing on the base offense but they have been mixing in some "22 personnel" sets, in which there are two tight ends and two backs. In those sets, he said Jeff Cumberland, who is coming off a season-ending Achilles tear, is the second tight end.

Live in S Florida, and am exposed to the Fish quite a bit. I wasn't very impressed with their offense over the last few years. I was very surprised when the Jets hired Sparano.

I guess his philosophy goes along with Rex's. Maybe he's a better OC then he was a HC. Maybe

Sparano wouldn't've been my choice, either, but I do like the idea of discipline and fundamentals on offense.

I don't think Sparano's system will lead to a top offense, but I have some hope that it will at least get out of the mid-20's rankings we were generally getting from Schottenheimer.

Sparano wouldn't've been my choice, either, but I do like the idea of discipline and fundamentals on offense.

I don't think Sparano's system will lead to a top offense, but I have some hope that it will at least get out of the mid-20's rankings we were generally getting from Schottenheimer.

just throwing for a first down when the receiver catches and not expecting 5 yards of YAC is a win, breaking the mid 20 group will be win win...

If it just takes out the false starts, on 3rd and 1 and the to many men on the field calls, I guess that would be an improvement

I hope so too. All I can really go on is Sparano's offense in Dallas when he took over play-call duties in 2006 and their offense ranked 5th in the league in total offense and passing, 13th rushing, and 4th overall.

A top 3 defense and the 12th ranked offense should be enough to get it done.

A top 3 defense and the 12th ranked offense should be enough to get it done.

Top 3 defense, check. 12th ranked offense? Laughable.

Packers

Saints

Patriots

Giants

Broncos

Steelers

Chargers

Eagles

Cowboys

Falcons

Ravens

Lions

Just off the top of my head, we're miles behind those 12 teams offensively. You can add the Texans and probably the Panthers to that list too.

Top 3 defense, check. 12th ranked offense? Laughable.

Packers

Saints

Patriots

Giants

Broncos

Steelers

Chargers

Eagles

Cowboys

Falcons

Ravens

Lions

Just off the top of my head, we're miles behind those 12 teams offensively. You can add the Texans and probably the Panthers to that list too.

Miles behind the Ravens? No.

This is going to be a great season.

I'm not buying any of this until I see us move the ball and score TDs. The Fins completely sucked under Spars and he's not working with any special here. I think we'll be able to run the ball but not much else. I hope the kicker is going to be up to par this year cause he's going to be the leading scorer.

I'm not buying any of this until I see us move the ball and score TDs. The Fins completely sucked under Spars and he's not working with any special here. I think we'll be able to run the ball but not much else. I hope the kicker is going to be up to par this year cause he's going to be the leading scorer.

We also could use a top-notch punter. If we have any cap space whatsoever it should be devoted there.

I always felt that Shotty was trying to prove he was smarter than everyone else as opposed to trying to win games. He would design these brilliant plays and formations that didn't result in any yardage. I was reading the comments today from Joe McKnight who said that things are simplier and I think that is a good change from what we had before. Just line the guys up, block the crap out of the guy in front of you and push the ball down their throats. Obviously you can't do that on every play, but we never seemed to ever do that under Shotty, It was always, let's try and trick the safety with this motion and bring this guy on the move to block here and then the back is taken down just after receiving the handoff.

That all we need with a top 5 defense.

I think thats the main reason the Jets hired him. We all know Rex is limited in how much he can get involved on offense...And it is clear that the offense needed somebody to run that group like Rex/Pettine run defense and Westy runs ST. Sparano is that person. Im not expecting our offense to set the league by storm. But I am expecting a physical, disciplined, consistency that has been lacking the past few years.

Players try to avoid wrath of Sparano

May, 16, 2012

May 16

9:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The Tony Sparano/new-sheriff-in-town story already is getting a lot of play, but TE Dustin Keller made some interesting remarks Tuesday night at the annual United Way Gridiron Gala at the Waldorf Astoria in Manhattan.

Keller made no mention of former O.C. Brian Schottenheimer, but he observed that "guys are playing more attention to details now, more than ever." And to think, training camp hasn't even begun. The Jets are in the infancy stage of the season.

If a player makes a mental mistake, Sparano "is coming down on you," Keller said. "That’s how it’s going to be all season. I think he definitely runs a tighter ship than I've seen from anyone before. He’s not going to let guys slip up. That’s when problems arise. It’s going to continue. You can tell, it's not a one-day thing or an OTA thing. This thing is going to keep on going and going. I think we need it."

Keller, smiling, added, "Most guys, when they’re yelling, they lose their voice eventually. But he can maintain it for a long time."

tears-of-joy.jpg

Tears of Joy!

Im so glad that Schotty is gone. Schotty and Hackett stole so many football years from me.

Look, there HAD to be a reason why the Jets ran right over and signed this guy with almost no others even being considered or interviewed. The Jets obviously know something about TS that we here at our computers don't. This is a case where I will just have to trust in the process and the people hired to evaluate these things, over what us experts online know.

When your wife can correstly call what plays are going to be run on 1st and 3rd down there is a problem.

Look, there HAD to be a reason why the Jets ran right over and signed this guy with almost no others even being considered or interviewed. The Jets obviously know something about TS that we here at our computers don't. This is a case where I will just have to trust in the process and the people hired to evaluate these things, over what us experts online know.

Sparano's teams kicked our asses on more than one occasion. I think that's what made this hire a homerun in Rex's eyes more than any other head coach in the league. Familiarity breeds contempt....and mutual respect....lending itself to a future hire.

Fixed.

Mark Sanchez was spotting our opponents 2 scores a game by the time the season ended-like 9 frigging POINTS!!!! No NFL team can overcome that kind of ineptitude at the most important position on the field. If he starts off where he left off last year mark my words he will be traded away before the deadline passes--the Jets will then be Tim Tebow's team and I have a feeling that Tebow will win the Jets a Super Bowl.

Sparano's teams kicked our asses on more than one occasion. I think that's what made this hire a homerun in Rex's eyes more than any other head coach in the league. Familiarity breeds contempt....and mutual respect....lending itself to a future hire.

and let's face it 8-0 we KNOW that Sparano wasn't given $hit to work with. It came out last year that the owner told them that they had like 8 million dollars to turn the team around-Woody throws that kind of money at 1 player and they expected Miami to build a whole team on the cheap.

Archived