Sparano, New Sheriff-in-Town

flgreen

and let's face it 8-0 we KNOW that Sparano wasn't given $hit to work with. It came out last year that the owner told them that they had like 8 million dollars to turn the team around-Woody throws that kind of money at 1 player and they expected Miami to build a whole team on the cheap.

Precisely. While we don't know much about Sparano's abilities at OC, people need to stop acting like he's an unknown commodity. What we DO know is the following:

1. His last time as an OC, in 2006 with Dallas, he had success with rookie Tony Romo at QB.

2. When he realized he couldn't win with Pennington running a standard offense in '08, he got innovative and fooled teams with a "new" offense that had the league befuddled for an entire season.

3. As mentioned earlier, he also apparently had one of the best defensive minds in the league (Rex) fooled on multiple occasions. And he didn't do it with elite players, he did it with Ted Ginn.

4. He's a hardass who will get our players to quickly get over the 2011 soap opera and buy in quickly. If they don't assimilate, he'll send them packing.

5. He's not Brian Schottenheimer.

and #6-at least he will have the QB throw the ball PAST the 1st down marker on 3rd and long unlike the last jerk we were stuck with for way too long

Cue CTMongloid.... "ROOT TREES!!!! ROOT TREES!!!!"

Yep, Jimmy... I totally agree with you here.

and #6-at least he will have the QB throw the ball PAST the 1st down marker on 3rd and long unlike the last jerk we were stuck with for way too long

With Sparano, we won't be throwing for 8 yards on 3rd & 8. We'll be throwing for 18 yards. And that's exactly the mentality that will have to work. Run, run, run, run, run, DEEP PLAY ACTION THROW.

I'll tell you guys I'm starting to actually have some hope for the Jets going forward and I have to be honest here, a lot of it has to do with the prospect of us having other options at the QB position. I hated the whole "well we HAVE to stay with Sanchez because we HAVE no other options what with Brunell being so old and all" thing. When Sanchez starts losing games for us this year he WILL be replaced and unless he show a marked improvement, I'm telling you-he will be traded. I think that t5his is what is going to happen. Also, I like Greg McElroy too as our back-up behind Tebow when he's named the starter.

I'll tell you guys I'm starting to actually have some hope for the Jets going forward and I have to be honest here, a lot of it has to do with the prospect of us having other options at the QB position. I hated the whole "well we HAVE to stay with Sanchez because we HAVE no other options what with Brunell being so old and all" thing. When Sanchez starts losing games for us this year he WILL be replaced and unless he show a marked improvement, I'm telling you-he will be traded. I think that t5his is what is going to happen. Also, I like Greg McElroy too as our back-up behind Tebow when he's named the starter.

Sanchez has zero trade value, they tried trading him before draft and couldnt garner a 3rd rd pick

So if Callahan was god's gift to the OL, why not give him a huge raise?

The Jets always do this. They hire a HC and then force all of their assistants down the new coach's throat instead of letting them pick their own guys. Let the purge continue and I hope it eventually leads to Mike Tannenbaum getting fired

Sanchez has zero trade value, they tried trading him before draft and couldnt garner a 3rd rd pick

I heard nothing about that Rich-do you have a link somewhere with something to back that up with? Hey man by the middle of October when QB's start going down and names like Jeff Garcia are being thrown around you better believe that Mark Sanchez will have some trade value.

So if Callahan was god's gift to the OL, why not give him a huge raise?

I think fans anointed him that.

I'm assuming that when we hired Sparano, the need for a top OL position coach diminished greatly. 2 birds, 1 stone type of thing.

I think fans anointed him that.

I'm assuming that when we hired Sparano, the need for a top OL position coach diminished greatly. 2 birds, 1 stone type of thing.

yea you know how we Jets fans do O.P.-we ALWAYS overrate our players (apparently coaches too) and as far as this coach goes, well his was a name that was thrown around for years by frustrated Jets fans who were sick and tired of having to suffer through an OC that would coach a good game MAYBE once a month for 5 years. Callahan was always being mentioned as guy that "we should give HIM the OC job, hell he brought Oakland to a Super Bowl". After Schottenheimer almost ruined the Jets for a lot of lifetime Jets fans (myself included there) anyone looked good in our eyes.

Look, there HAD to be a reason why the Jets ran right over and signed this guy with almost no others even being considered or interviewed. The Jets obviously know something about TS that we here at our computers don't. This is a case where I will just have to trust in the process and the people hired to evaluate these things, over what us experts online know.

When your wife can correstly call what plays are going to be run on 1st and 3rd down there is a problem.

HAHA, I remember when the same was said about Leon Hess' hiring of Kotite! Sorry, I'm not buying any of this "Coach fist-pump is our saviour" stuff. The ONLY time I ever saw Jet fans give Tony S props was the final game of the 2008 season and that was because his fist pumping was being compared to the lifeless Mangini, who by that point was a dead man to most Jets fans. But going off of his power-house Dolphins teams where he was so good he was canned mid-season, sorry, color me skeptical.

HAHA, I remember when the same was said about Leon Hess' hiring of Kotite! Sorry, I'm not buying any of this "Coach fist-pump is our saviour" stuff. The ONLY time I ever saw Jet fans give Tony S props was the final game of the 2008 season and that was because his fist pumping was being compared to the lifeless Mangini, who by that point was a dead man to most Jets fans. But going off of his power-house Dolphins teams where he was so good he was canned mid-season, sorry, color me skeptical.

yea I'm not saying that I'm not too Glenn. What I AM saying though is apparently the Jets think they know something about Sparano that we don't. And...the Kotite comparison isn't a fair one either-different levels-different owner-different era

The Jets always do this. They hire a HC and then force all of their assistants down the new coach's throat instead of letting them pick their own guys. Let the purge continue and I hope it eventually leads to Mike Tannenbaum getting fired

Paul Hackettor Mike Heimerdinger was the former a-hole under Schitty.

Now Schitty is the new former a-hole, and Tony Sunglasses has reinvented the wheel. We will win 16 games and breeze through the playoffs with Sanchez tossing 48 TDs and 3 INTs . I feel so much better already.

I heard nothing about that Rich-do you have a link somewhere with something to back that up with? Hey man by the middle of October when QB's start going down and names like Jeff Garcia are being thrown around you better believe that Mark Sanchez will have some trade value.

It was on twitter awhile back, sanchez will be on bench by week 4, we might be able to garner a 4th rd pick for him to a desperate team

Sanchez will be run out of town soon... and in 3 years we'll be running Sunglasses Sparano out of town.

Probably. Then Tannenbaum will be gone too and possibly Rex (hope not on the latter).

I think we've all learned the lesson by now that until we get a Brees or Rodgers of our own, we're going to be firing OC's like they were appearing on The Apprentice.

Sparano is the OC the Jets need now. Whether it's Tebow or Sanchez at the helm, they need a simpler, more straight-forward, run oriented offense. If Tebow's gonna be a part time guy, then having the wildcat guy here.

Once this offense stinks it up, then we'll need a more complex, pass oriented offense. Just like when we all get sick of Rex, we'll need a no nonsense, low key, x's & o's guy to replace him. It's the cycle of things.

Merril Hoge was on the Doug Gottlieb show yesterday talking about Tebow versus Sanchez and sort of said it doesn't matter who the QB is because the Jets have yet to improve the perimeter. "Who do they have on the outside" he said. Gottlieb agreed with him, but I guess until Hill and Turner do something on the field, he's right. I sure hope he's not, but if we can stretch the field a little, I think we'll have the best offense we've had in years (assuming our run game doesn't suck).

Probably. Then Tannenbaum will be gone too and possibly Rex (hope not on the latter).

I think we've all learned the lesson by now that until we get a Brees or Rodgers of our own, we're going to be firing OC's like they were appearing on The Apprentice.

Better hope he wins it in his first two seasons before you guys all bail on the next QB.

Sparano is the OC the Jets need now. Whether it's Tebow or Sanchez at the helm, they need a simpler, more straight-forward, run oriented offense. If Tebow's gonna be a part time guy, then having the wildcat guy here.

Once this offense stinks it up, then we'll need a more complex, pass oriented offense. Just like when we all get sick of Rex, we'll need a no nonsense, low key, x's & o's guy to replace him. It's the cycle of things.

I do actually agree with this. Not every coaching hire is addressed with the intent of him holding the job for the rest of his football career until he chooses to retire. Sometimes you just need a change of things for the good of the team as a whole, and based on the current makeup of your roster. Are the Jets likely to build a passing juggernaut under the direction of Sparano? Probably not, but they're not about to do it with Sanchez (or Tebow) under center either, regardless of the OC, so that was hardly priority #1 when making the hire.

Archived