I need some advice from Xbox 360/PS3 gamers

Bombdirt

I just picked up an Xbox 360 fairly recently (I don't have as much time to play as I used to, so it didn't make sense to get one until the recent price drop) so I missed out on a lot of games when they were first released. Can anyone recommend some good games to try? I'm not really a fan of first-person shooters; I'm more into stuff like GTA IV and Skyrim.

I just picked up an Xbox 360 fairly recently (I don't have as much time to play as I used to, so it didn't make sense to get one until the recent price drop) so I missed out on a lot of games when they were first released. Can anyone recommend some good games to try? I'm not really a fan of first-person shooters; I'm more into stuff like GTA IV and Skyrim.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

A lot of people loved Red Dead Redemption, but I couldn't get into it.

I've heard good things about the Fallout games. I'll probably check those out.

I did rent Red Dead Redemption for a few days. It was really fun for a while, but I eventually got bored with it. Same with GTA IV. Very repetitive.

Skyrim should keep u busy for a while.

Yeah, I loved Skyrim. It made me neglect all of my responsibilities, sleep and personal hygiene. I'm thinking of picking up Oblivion as well. Haven't tried that one yet.

only console games that I ever got really into were Gran Turismo and ace combat. I get really addicted to levelling up, earning cash and shopping for new toys that go really fast !

ace combat 4 shattered skies cost me a lot of sleep. damn megalith !

I remember playing the original Gran Turismo on the PS. I'm not much for racing games, but I loved it because the graphics were so sweet.

I had a Genesis growing up, but I've recently rediscovered the Super Nintendo. Some of my personal faves are Shadowrun, Chrono Trigger and A Link to the Past.

don't forget Megaman X and Paperboy

oh and any Mario game on SNES is good

don't forget Megaman X and Paperboy oh and any Mario game on SNES is good

I played through Super Mario RPG. Great game; it surpassed my expectations. I never tried Megaman X; my attention has gone in and out of the franchise since the first one on the NES. They're always maddeningly difficult. I loved Megaman Legends on the PS, though.

And Paperboy is one of the best games ever. I've seen this screen more times than I'd like to count:

ms1-image12.jpg

I liked Resident Evil 5. Fable II, Gears of War 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption, Alice: Madness Returns, and Portal. L.A. Noir wasn't bad, I just didn't get to finish it since I played it at a friend's house.

Well damn, a quick check revealed that all of the 5 or so different games I was about to recommend are apparently exclusive to PS3. My suggestion? Get a PS3 and then we'll talk. :-P

/ecurb'd

Well damn, a quick check revealed that all of the 5 or so different games I was about to recommend are apparently exclusive to PS3. My suggestion? Get a PS3 and then we'll talk. :-P

Given the choice, I probably would have opted for a PS3. I played the hell outta some PS and PS2; never had the original Xbox. The 360 was a gift, but I figured it didn't matter for the most part since games are usually available for both. It's been an adjustment process, since I can find the "Circle" and "Square" buttons in my sleep, but I still catch myself having to glance down sometimes to see where in the hell "B" is.

I am kind of bummed that I won't be able to play the Uncharted series. Those games look awesome.

Uncharted_Drake%27s_Fortune.jpg

Given the choice, I probably would have opted for a PS3. I played the hell outta some PS and PS2; never had the original Xbox. The 360 was a gift, but I figured it didn't matter for the most part since games are usually available for both. It's been an adjustment process, since I can find the "Circle" and "Square" buttons in my sleep, but I still catch myself having to glance down sometimes to see where in the hell "B" is.

I am kind of bummed that I won't be able to play the Uncharted series. Those games look awesome.

Uncharted_Drake%27s_Fortune.jpg

Yeah, it really isn't all that big of a deal because like you said, almost everything is available on both these days, as even some of the original exclusives have since come out for both (like the GTA series, for example).

The Uncharted series is actually one of the first recommendations I was going to make to you (along with the Infamous games, which are essentially GTA with super powers), but then I realized I better check to see which of the games I was going to mention were actually available on Xbox, and that's how we ended up where we are. Of course, I also know people who own both just to account for this issue, but that's a bit much.

Ok, I actually thought of another suggestion that turns out is actually available on 360, the Assassin's Creed series. I'll be the first to admit that the first game, while really fun at first, definitely got a bit boring and repetitive after a while, but they definitely made an effort to address that and the rest of the games after that were leaps and bounds better.

I played through Super Mario RPG. Great game; it surpassed my expectations. I never tried Megaman X; my attention has gone in and out of the franchise since the first one on the NES. They're always maddeningly difficult. I loved Megaman Legends on the PS, though.

And Paperboy is one of the best games ever. I've seen this screen more times than I'd like to count:

ms1-image12.jpg

If you liked Mario RPG, I'd recommend Earthbound if you can get your hands on a copy. It's rather rare and costly though, so I wish you luck lol. The cartridge alone (no box, manual) runs for near $100 on ebay. To this day still one of my favorite games.

Ok, I actually thought of another suggestion that turns out is actually available on 360, the Assassin's Creed series. I'll be the first to admit that the first game, while really fun at first, definitely got a bit boring and repetitive after a while, but they definitely made an effort to address that and the rest of the games after that were leaps and bounds better.

What's the gameplay like on Assassin's Creed? It looks cool, and I know I'll probably like it. Is it mostly stealth (that's usually fun at first, but eventually gets lame), and are there character-building tweaks like an RPG? Should I start with the first one, or skip it and pick up the sequel?

If you liked Mario RPG, I'd recommend Earthbound if you can get your hands on a copy. It's rather rare and costly though, so I wish you luck lol. The cartridge alone (no box, manual) runs for near $100 on ebay. To this day still one of my favorite games.

I hadn't heard about EarthBound before. I missed a lot of the SNES stuff the first time around. After looking it up, it sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to search that one out.

What's the gameplay like on Assassin's Creed? It looks cool, and I know I'll probably like it. Is it mostly stealth (that's usually fun at first, but eventually gets lame), and are there character-building tweaks like an RPG? Should I start with the first one, or skip it and pick up the sequel?

One of the cool parts that I like about Assassin's Creed is that there's a definite benefit to doing the stealth thing, as you won't have to deal with as much crap, but if you decide to just go off and slaughter people for everyone to see, you can certainly do that and get away with it, as you can fight off those people who are after you. It's kind of cool because you can literally stand there and wait until you've killed everyone coming at you, at which point you'll be good to go, but it also allows you to work in the assassin's skills if you want to instead, where you can hide in places and amongst crowds of people and things like that to escape those coming after you. Now granted, there are certain missions you need to get through being completely stealth, but they don't happen all that often, so it's mostly up to you how you play it.

The way the games are designed, it's one big story that goes one into the other, so if you're willing to deal with it going in, I would recommend playing the first one as that kind sets up the story. Don't get me wrong, it is really fun at first but unfortunately there's too much repetitiveness in the missions they assign you, so like I said, it's definitely far and away the weakest of the series, so I wouldn't blame you if you just wanted to read up on it and jump straight to the second game instead. As far as character-building tweaks, there are some things throughout the games, but not anything particularly major.

One of the cool parts that I like about Assassin's Creed is that there's a definite benefit to doing the stealth thing, as you won't have to deal with as much crap, but if you decide to just go off and slaughter people for everyone to see, you can certainly do that and get away with it, as you can fight off those people who are after you. It's kind of cool because you can literally stand there and wait until you've killed everyone coming at you, at which point you'll be good to go, but it also allows you to work in the assassin's skills if you want to instead, where you can hide in places and amongst crowds of people and things like that to escape those coming after you. Now granted, there are certain missions you need to get through being completely stealth, but they don't happen all that often, so it's mostly up to you how you play it.

The way the games are designed, it's one big story that goes one into the other, so if you're willing to deal with it going in, I would recommend playing the first one as that kind sets up the story. Don't get me wrong, it is really fun at first but unfortunately there's too much repetitiveness in the missions they assign you, so like I said, it's definitely far and away the weakest of the series, so I wouldn't blame you if you just wanted to read up on it and jump straight to the second game instead. As far as character-building tweaks, there are some things throughout the games, but not anything particularly major.

Nice. It sounds like something I would dig. I like games that allow at least some amount of freedom as far as how I choose to play.

Nice. It sounds like something I would dig. I like games that allow at least some amount of freedom as far as how I choose to play.

Yeah, it's definitely a fun time. The only thing they restrict your freedom on a bit is that since you're supposed to be the "good guy" they don't give you a whole lot of lenience in killing other good folks. But beyond that, feel free to kill the enemy as much or as little as you see fit.

Archived