Dunbar Excited to Employ Buddy's 4-6 Front

flgreen

Jets defensive line coach Karl Dunbar excited to employ Buddy Ryan's 4-6 front

Published: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 5:15 AM Updated: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 6:14 AM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

11033161-large.jpgJohn O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerNew defensive line coach Karl Dunbar said he's excited to experiment with veterans like Sione Pouha in the 4-6 defense.

Karl Dunbar thinks he has it pretty good in his new gig as the Jets’ defensive line coach.

He has two first-round picks, a pair of trusty veterans in Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito, and a supporting cast of young linemen with upside. He sees great potential for the Jets to mix up their fronts, moving players into spots where they’ll be most successful and throwing off opponents.

And one iteration that has Dunbar particularly excited? The 46 defense, invented by Buddy Ryan on the successful 1980s Bears teams and carried on by Rex Ryan. Dunbar said the Jets used the formation “a bunch” last year and plan to use it even more — “as much as we can” — in 2012.

“We’re going to play a lot of that 46 defense,” Dunbar said with a grin. “You get in that 46 defense, you’re going to get a lot of one-on-one blocks, and when we put athletic guys on the field, bad things happen for the offense.”

The 46 defense is one variation of a 4-3 front, with four down linemen and eight men in the box.

Dunbar has a long history with it, dating back to his days as a defensive lineman for the Arizona Cardinals from 1994-95, when Buddy Ryan was his head coach and Rex was his position coach.

He can’t wait to coach it here with the Jets, particularly because he feels like it’s a perfect fit for their personnel.

The Jets have used a base 3-4 front under Ryan, but they’ve always mixed and matched schemes and personnel groupings. They have used many calls with four down linemen and many in the 46 defense.

Their selection of Quinton Coples, a defensive end out of North Carolina, 16th overall, may allow them to use even more fronts with four down linemen. Dunbar pointed out that the Jets often used four-down fronts last year, but outside linebackers Calvin Pace and Aaron Maybin were at the ends. Now, Coples can be on the edge, with Pouha, Kenrick Ellis or Muhammad Wilkerson inside, he said.

The objective will be to put players in spots where they can be most successful, and they’ll be “a little mixture of it all.” And Dunbar believes the plan will include a lot of the 46 defense.

“As much as our guys do well in it, you’re going to see it,” said Dunbar, who coached stars like Jared Allen, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams in the past six seasons with the Vikings. “We put in the 46 today, and coach was telling the front we still call it the 46 because of his daddy, and we’re going to play it the way his daddy taught it.”

Dunbar continued to explain: “It’s attack, it’s getting up the field, we’re not holding blocks. Every man for himself, we’re going to get to the quarterback.”

Dunbar explained that the “bear front” associated with the 46 defense gives offenses fits because the offensive linemen have to block defenders one on one, instead of double teaming or zone blocking. Passes come out more quickly as a result, and if the opponent does look to throw deep, Dunbar said the Jets have an advantage because of their two elite cornerbacks.

Dunbar believes Coples is “an awesome fit” for the 46 defense. He said Coples could line up as a “3-technique,” which is over the outside shoulder of the guard, or as a defensive end. He also sees Coples used as a “wide nine,” a pure pass-rushing spot outside the tight end.

When Coples was still on the board in the first round of last month’s draft, Dunbar perked up. Coples’ 6-6, 285-pound frame and 4.7 speed offer a unique skill set, and Dunbar said he didn’t worry about his production dropping from 10 sacks as a junior to 7½ as a senior.

“I don’t see a problem with that,” Dunbar said. “I saw a great athlete, and he’s going to get a chance to show who he is. From the things I’ve seen in the three days of practice and mini-camp we had, I’m loving every minute.”

And he’s loving every minute, too, of coaching the 46 defense he once played nearly two decades ago.

“And it’s still working,” he said. “I think when you’ve got the right pieces of the puzzle in, it’s a great defense.”

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com; twitter.com/JennyVrentas

I guess that answers the question, Will the Jets be playing the 3-4 or 4-3. The answer is both. At the same time.

It appears that Coples is going to be the key. Playing inside as a 3 tech, then sometimes jumping out side as a 5 tech, and some times as a traditional 4-3 DE.

It also explains why they are having Maybin bulk up. He will be playing outside a lot when Coples is playing inside in the 3 tech.

I hope the bulk up with Maybin works. I was concerned when I read he was gaining weight. The Bills tried that to make him an every down player. He lost speed and wound up on the Jets as a bust.

Hopefully he will be able to retain his outside blast,

Jets defensive line coach Karl Dunbar excited to employ Buddy Ryan's 4-6 front

Dear Jenny,

It's 46, as in forty-six, as in Doug Plank's old number. It is always written as "46", and it was not named based on the configuration of the front-7, like the 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, which are both sometimes written as 43 and 34. Learn some basic sh*t about football will ya?

Warmest regards,

Jets Nation and Football fans everywhere

Dear Jenny,

It's 46, as in forty-six, as in Doug Plank's old number. It is always written as "46", and it was not named based on the configuration of the front-7, like the 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, which are both sometimes written as 43 and 34. Learn some basic sh*t about football will ya?

Warmest regards,

Yeah, I was wondering what happened to the eleventh guy...

I still can't believe the Jets blew a first on a guy who lost 2.5 sacks between his junior and senior year.

And I also can't believe how honest he was about giving up after the coach who recruited him was fired and the entire campus was racked with academic scandal.

Dear Jenny,

Warmest regards,

Her face is pretty. Nuff said. Back in your cage.

Prettier than you, nuff said.

I'd probably look about the same with long hair. Nuff said.

Listen fat man... just because you can't see your pee-pee doesn't mean you have to act like you are blind.

What's the matter, no platform for you to have one of your incoherent windbag debates on?

I know you prefer the stupidity to the real debate threads but WTF do you mean no platform ? Ive been saying for weeks that I thought the Jets were leaning more towards a 4-3 and how Im reading Dunbar that seems to be the case. That is if you know the 46 is a base 4-3 defense that I think you going to see a hell of a lot of this coming season.

The only incoherant windbag here is you BTW Monkey Breath Nuff Said

Dear Jenny,

Warmest regards,

Google.

I know you prefer the stupidity to the real debate threads but WTF do you mean no platform ? Ive been saying for weeks that I thought the Jets were leaning more towards a 4-3 and how Im reading Dunbar that seems to be the case. That is if you know the 46 is a base 4-3 defense that I think you going to see a hell of a lot of this coming season.

Actually, I prefer goofing around. Most of your debates ARE plenty stupid, and tireless, and circuitous, and never resolve in anyone being "right", so I don't get typically get involved. Except to watch you act like a baboon.

Once again, there is the thing being discussed... and then there is Smash over in Smashworld making it about himself. You are more Ape than Ape sometimes buddy...

In this case, me and Crusher are debating the validity of his claim that "Vrentas is pretty". Thus, when you said "great thread", I said there is "no platform for you to have one of your windbag debates on" meaning the thread's central debate at the moment is Vrentas, not the same ******* circuitous argument you've been engaged in for a week about 4-3 or 3-4 base defense. If you want to spend the next week re-hashing the same presumptuous bullsh*t you've been blathering about the past week, go ahead. I'm sure there's some people here that would love to watch you chase your tail some more...

Dear Jenny,

Warmest regards,

I thought the same exact thing as soon as I read it, but it looks like it was the dipsh*t editor, not her. As it's correct throughout the article, but wrong in the title and picture captions.

Dear Jenny,

Warmest regards,

Thank you monk

btw - anybody ever get the REAL skinny on why Plank was basically bum's rushed out of here a couple years ago? I sat behind Gary Fencik at a Bulls game last year and asked him, knowing he and Dougie were tight, and before he could answer some very hot blonde came up to him and I obviously got trumped. I had thought maybe he threatened bodily harm to Rhodes unless he hit somebody on the field, but they both left at the same time. Always thought he'd be a perfect fit on a Rex staff.

I thought the same exact thing as soon as I read it, but it looks like it was the dipsh*t editor, not her. As it's correct throughout the article, but wrong in the title and picture captions.

It goes back and forth in the article. I noticed it in 2 spots, where its part of her writing and I think the spots where it's correct are quotes. Who cares though, I was just being an a-hole, lol

Actually, I prefer goofing around. Most of your debates ARE plenty stupid, and tireless, and circuitous, and never resolve in anyone being "right", so I don't get typically get involved. Except to watch you act like a baboon.

Once again, there is the thing being discussed... and then there is Smash over in Smashworld making it about himself. You are more Ape than Ape sometimes buddy...

In this case, me and Crusher are debating the validity of his claim that "Vrentas is pretty". Thus, when you said "great thread", I said there is "no platform for you to have one of your windbag debates on" meaning the thread's central debate at the moment is Vrentas, not the same ******* circuitous argument you've been engaged in for a week about 4-3 or 3-4 base defense. If you want to spend the next week re-hashing the same presumptuous bullsh*t you've been blathering about the past week, go ahead. I'm sure there's some people here that would love to watch you chase your tail some more...

you really are an Idiot. Excuse me for debating football on a football message board while you debate weather on not "Vrentas is pretty" after you googled WTF a 46 defense actully is. Go back to mafia and continue making an a$$ out of yourself there.

So your world is trainwrecking a thread in deep discussion on how pretty Jenny is or is not and Smashworld is actully talking about what she wrote, you know the actul meaning behind the thread.

It goes back and forth in the article. I noticed it in 2 spots, where its part of her writing and I think the spots where it's correct are quotes. Who cares though, I was just being an a-hole, lol

Oh I hear you, but I was thinking the same thing as soon as I read it, so I just figured we need to be sure to properly mock the correct dumbass.

As far as the other perhaps more important debate, it's really all relative. Now that all of these articles need to start with a picture of the author for whatever reason, when you're comparing her to the likes of Cimini and Mehta, she doesn't look too bad.

you really are an Idiot. Excuse me for debating football on a football message board while you debate weather on not "Vrentas is pretty" after you googled WTF a 46 defense actully is. Go back to mafia and continue making an a$$ out of yourself there.

So your world is trainwrecking a thread in deep discussion on how pretty Jenny is or is not and Smashworld is actully talking about what she wrote, you know the actul meaning behind the thread.

Wait, you are implying I didn't know where the 46 got its name? You moron.

1. Crusher brought up her looks, not me. I was making fun of the use of "4-6".

2. I don't think I'm "trainwrecking" a thread because the initial post plays favorably into your ongoing argument and I don't go out of my way to pick up where the "are we switching to 4-3? ZOMG!!!" thread left off. I don't care about that argument, because as I said a week ago, we play multiple fronts, its dumb to assume that'll change, so to ME there's not much to discuss. Why is it that the same debates have to thread hop? You really want to fail to make all your points all over again?

3. "We installed the 46 today" isn't news either. We've seen the Jets use the 46 the past couple seasons. It is NOT a new thing. It is new to Dunbar, and new to Coples and the other rookies. We've seen them use this formation though, and so what's the big freaking deal? Oh, yeah, it plays favorably into your argument.

4. Smash being in Smashworld is not me saying "don't discuss football" it is me saying YOU CAN'T COME INTO A SINGLE THREAD AN NOT MAKE IT ABOUT YOU, and you get butthurt about it when people don't immediately jump to whatever is top of mind to YOU. Like we are all ******* mind-readers.

5. I like that because this thread didn't devolve into the continuation of Smash's argument with all of JN about the base defense within the first two pages, that it warrants a complete EMO sh*t SHOW from you, but then you have the audacity to call me an a$$. Nice.

Oh I hear you, but I was thinking the same thing as soon as I read it, so I just figured we need to be sure to properly mock the correct dumbass.

As far as the other perhaps more important debate, it's really all relative. Now that all of these articles need to start with a picture of the author for whatever reason, when you're comparing her to the likes of Cimini and Mehta, she doesn't look too bad.

Very valid point sir, very valid. I say we discuss, while ignoring the butthurt smash, for at least 10-12 more pages? What say you?

I should have known better than to argue with you OP I didnt bother reading your last post not worth my time

Sure you didn't. You'd think at this point, you'd have learned not to argue with 90% of the people you choose to argue with.

I don't know why every interaction with you HAS to be an argument. This thread is 2 pages old. If it hasn't morphed into an extension of your ongoing 4-3 debate, GET OVER IT. Not everyone broods over the arguments they get into and have the same need and desire to bring that sh*t into every single thread they post in...

Also, for the record, I don't consider your posts directed at me "an argument". You basically insulted me, and then had an emo meltdown for not getting your way. You not understand what an argument is, is probably at the root of why you lose most of them. Now **** off you big baby.

:face:

Archived