Palladino: Jets Players and Coaches Lining Up Behind Tebow

flgreen

Palladino: Jets’ Players And Coaches Lining Up Behind Tebow

May 17, 2012 9:26 AM

Share this 1View Comments

Share CBS Local with your friends. Add us to your Timeline.What's this?

darrelle-revis-tim-tebow-santonio-holmes.jpg?w=300

Darrelle Revis (credit: Nick Laham/Getty Images), Tim Tebow (credit: Larry Busacca/Getty Images), Santonio Holmes (credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

‘From the Pressbox’

By Ernie Palladino

» More Ernie Palladino Columns

Shortly after the Jets traded for Tim Tebow, the team’s eminent fountain of poisonous wisdom, Santonio Holmes, said something to the effect that all was well with his relationship with Mark Sanchez. But should Sanchez stumble the first two games, he’d be throwing his lot behind Tebow.

He was the only one to say it outright, but yesterday’s locker room indicated that other players may be thinking the same thing. They’re glowing over the new kid’s leadership qualities.

You kind of get the idea that the locker room is collectively saying, “Yeah, sure, Mark’s our starter.

But this Tebow guy, he’s something else!”

Darrelle Revis seemed close to a break with self-containment yesterday when he showered praise on Tebow. Revis, the Jets’ shutdown cornerback, credited Tebow with showing leadership from the practice field to the locker room and weight room, all the way to the cafeteria.

He’s passionate. He’s hard-working. He’s confident, Revis told reporters. And he’s winning his teammates over day by day. The “It” factor, Revis called Tebow’s whole personality package.

You kind of get the idea that if this keeps up, he’ll be getting a lot more than those 15-to-20 snaps new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano has planned for him in the regular season. At least at the start of it.

This kind of praise is not something Sanchez would likely prefer to hear. Yeah, Sanchez owns a rock-hard work ethic, and nobody would dispute that. But it’s no secret that the Jets’ nominal starter has a paper-thin self-image. He’s not a confident kid, even in light of the career bests in completions, attempts, yards, touchdowns, and quarterback rating.

Too many blown games among those 18 interceptions.

It won’t help Sanchez that quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh also appears to be smitten with Tebowmania. The guy all but took a knee and put his fist to eye level in prayer as he lauded his new student’s passion and mechanics. Given Tebow’s ugly history with the short and medium passing game, one wonders if Cavanaugh was simply pumping up Tebow’s confidence in that area, or whether a confirmed miracle had occurred at Florham Park.

Either way, people are fast taking a liking to the evangelist in shoulder pads. And it’s not because of his beliefs, but how he is acting in the training complex.

There’s a long way to go before the Jets face the Bills, Steelers, 49ers, and Texans in four of the first five weeks. And remember, everything leading up to that is about production potential. The nicest, most sincere, God-fearingest guys in the world don’t get anyplace in pro football without somebody believing they can be a true asset to their squads.

The same will hold true for Tebow. He’ll have to turn into a real passer, or at least one capable of delivering the short out in a key situation, to supplant the incumbent, be it coming right out of training camp or after a flawed, stuttering start of the schedule.

Yet, it appears numerous players and coaches are lining up behind Tebow, hoping that things work out far better than the original plan.

Can’t blame them. He’s a kid you can root for.

Sanchez? He’ll probably start the season. But as Holmes said well before Revis jumped on the backup train, the first sign of trouble and he’s going to start calling for Tebow.

At that point, heaven help Sanchez. He’ll become just another nice fellow who couldn’t make it on the country’s greatest stage.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he is not, this is just another hack reporter looking for a story when there is none there. So everyone is saying good things about Tebow, not one person has said he should start or is better then sanchez. When I start hearing they want him to start over Mark I will start to worry.

Tebow and Sanchez have pretty much accomplished the same thing in their NFL careers.

Regular seasons full of bad QB play, then ride into/through playoffs on the back of defense and 1/2 big plays, only to not be good enough to overcome an elite QB before being bounced from the playoffs. The end.

At this point, I don't care which of them plays for us... the results, based on history, could very well be the same. 9-10 wins, playoff exit.

Regular seasons full of bad QB play, then ride into/through playoffs on the back of defense and 1/2 big plays, only to not be good enough to overcome an elite QB before being bounced from the playoffs. The end.

At this point, I don't care which of them plays for us... the results, based on history, could very well be the same. 9-10 wins, playoff exit.

ditto

I love it.

Sanchez was given the starting QB job and has been a mediocre QB and a sh*tty leader for 3 seasons. Now he actually has to earn both playing time and leader status. This will be "sh*t or get off the pot" year for Sanchez. I am rooting for him to succeed but it will be really interesting to see if he can handle the pressure or he wilts under it.

So this guy spouts off for most the words his editor asked him to produce about how Tebow is about to be annointed before getting to this minor point:

The same will hold true for Tebow. He’ll have to turn into a real passer, or at least one capable of delivering the short out in a key situation, to supplant the incumbent, be it coming right out of training camp or after a flawed, stuttering start of the schedule.

Fascinating stuff.

Tebow and Sanchez have pretty much accomplished the same thing in their NFL careers.

I get what you are saying but Mark has accomplished more. With a bigger shot (i.e. more games).

I get what you are saying but Mark has accomplished more. With a bigger shot (i.e. more games).

meh.. mark had a much better surrounding team.... i think the 2010 jets make the playoffs with tebow instead of sanchesa

meh.. mark had a much better surrounding team.... i think the 2010 jets make the playoffs with tebow instead of sanchesa

The 2010 Jets made it not only into the playoffs, but to the AFC Championship with victories over the Colts and the Pats (the same team who absolutely embarrassed Tebow, despite their league-worst defense, the last time he played).

So assuming you're talking about the 2011 season, in this fictional reality, does 8-8 win the AFC East too?

The 2010 Jets made it not only into the playoffs, but to the AFC Championship with victories over the Colts and the Pats (the same team who absolutely embarrassed Tebow, despite their league-worst defense, the last time he played).

So assuming you're talking about the 2011 season, in this fictional reality, does 8-8 win the AFC East too?

Yes 2011...

In 2010m, we could've went just as afar with T-Boner

Technically, no he hasn't.

College - National Championships?

Mark = Nope, Rose Bowl instead.

Tebow = Yup, twice. Throw in a Heisman, too.

NFL - Seasons as starter?

Mark = 3 full. 47 starts. 28 wins.

Tebow = 1 partial. 3 starts rookie year, 11 starts second year. 17 starts. 8 wins.

Make the playoffs as starter?

Mark = 2 out of 3 season. (9-7) (11-5) (8-8)

Tebow = 1 out of 1 season. (8-8) (4 of those losses were before Tebow took over)

Playoff record:

Mark = 4-2

Tebow = 1-1

Tebow outdid him in college by a landslide, and at the pro-level Tebow has done pretty much the same, with far less playing time. Certainly seems contrived to argue that Sanchez has "accomplished" more, with the disparity of playing time, and quality of surrounding teams.

They have both accomplished this. 8-10 wins in seasons where they start, impressive playoff wins on the heels of 1 or 2 big plays by them, and great play by their supporting cast, and then disappointing playoff losses. The end.

Technically, no he hasn't.

College - National Championships?

Mark = Nope, Rose Bowl instead.

Tebow = Yup, twice. Throw in a Heisman, too.

NFL - Seasons as starter?

Mark = 3 full. 47 starts. 28 wins.

Tebow = 1 partial. 3 starts rookie year, 11 starts second year. 17 starts. 8 wins.

Make the playoffs as starter?

Mark = 2 out of 3 season. (9-7) (11-5) (8-8)

Tebow = 1 out of 1 season. (8-8) (4 of those losses were before Tebow took over)

Playoff record:

Mark = 4-2

Tebow = 1-1

Tebow outdid him in college by a landslide, and at the pro-level Tebow has done pretty much the same, with far less playing time. Certainly seems contrived to argue that Sanchez has "accomplished" more, with the disparity of playing time, and quality of surrounding teams.

They have both accomplished this. 8-10 wins in seasons where they start, impressive playoff wins on the heels of 1 or 2 big plays by them, and great play by their supporting cast, and then disappointing playoff losses. The end.

Well where we are grading differently is the playoff wins. Mark had a big part in those 4 playoff wins. Tebow threw one pass and the Steelers secondary took the play off. :)

Well where we are grading differently is the playoff wins. Mark had a big part in those 4 playoff wins. Tebow threw one pass and the Steelers secondary took the play off. :)

The crazy part is these guys completely overlook the fact that Denver almost did not start Tebow for that play-off game his play was so bad.

I hope for the best out of Tebow but he has sucked his entire NFL career with the exception of the Steeler game in which Pitts defensive game plan left everyone scratching their heads.

The crazy part is these guys completely overlook the fact that Denver almost did not start Tebow for that play-off game his play was so bad.

I hope for the best out of Tebow but he has sucked his entire NFL career with the exception of the Steeler game in which Pitts defensive game plan left everyone scratching their heads.

True.

Elways always put himself in and he was wearing a suit!

He threw for 300 yards in that game.

Also, fwiw, Tebow won his division. Mark has no such hardware, so to speak.

No he didn't. Shonn Green and the defense won the playoff games in Mark's rookie year, and then the defense couldn't adapt to Manning, and Green got hurt. in the AFCCC... as for year two, Mark was much more a part of the wins, I would definitely agree with that. He helped us win, rather than kept us from losing, in playoffs year 2. That said, Mark being substantial in 1 more playoff game in his career than Tebow was substantial in, when Mark's team too him to 6 playoff games and Tebow only two isn't what I'd qualify as "accomplished a lot more".

I'm not begging for an argument, but you've done nothing to back up your statement here. At all.

He threw for 300 yards in that game.

Also, fwiw, Tebow won his division. Mark has no such hardware, so to speak.

QBs throw for 300 yards all the time, most of the time its in losses. That benchmark means nothing.

Doesn't matter. He did start and we have his production to look at as a result. I'm not saying he's all-world, myself, just saying the margin between him and Sanchez isn't the ginormous chasm some make it out to be. :)

Really?

Mark played a bigger role in the CN game then Tebow did in the Pit game??

1) Sanchesa 180 yards, 1 TD.. Tebow 316 yards, 2 TD + 50 yards and 1 TD running.. 366 yards and 3 TD"s total!!

2) Pitts = top ranked defense, Cn = mid ranked defense

3) NYJ lead runner: 21 for 135, 1 TD and 6.5 YPC , Den lead runner 19 for 61 0 TD for a whopping 3 ypc

Maybe you aren't remembering the game properly, Tebow played better in that game then Sanchesa has ever played in a playoff game, by a significant margin

And you are completely overlooking all Sanchesa's flaws.. lol

Dude's been along for the ride..

Archived