Jets have come to terms with Coples ...per source

F.Chowds

Source: Jets agree to terms on a four-year deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples

BY MANISH MEHTA

The Daily News first reported on Twitter on Thursday that the Jets have agreed to terms on a deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples. It's a standard four-year deal (full guaranteed) with a fifth-year team option.

The Jets now have two unsigned draft picks remaining: third-rounder Demario Davis and seventh-rounder Jordan White.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Post image for Jets Sign First Round Draft Pick Quinton Coples

It’s been a busy day for the Jets front office, just hours after signing round seven pick Antonio Allen, the Daily News is reporting they have signed first round pick (#16 overall) defensive end Quinton Coples to a guaranteed four-year contract:

The Daily News first reported on Twitter on Thursday that the Jets have agreed to terms on a deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples. It’s a standard four-year deal (full guaranteed) with a fifth-year team option.

Source: Manish Mehta

Only two of the Jets eight draft picks remain unsigned: Pick No.77 – Demario Davis and No.244 – Jordan White. 

For more on the Coples signing check out our

As much as Tanny makes me mad sometimes he did a good job with this draft and I like how hes getting the rookie contracts over with

This new system is no joke. Players rush to sign now. Quite a change from the old days.

Its insane how much the draft changed from previous years. Its good to know we wont have a Crabtree esque holdout on our hands

It would have been nice if Vernon Gholston held out years ago. But it doesn't matter now.

Only a 4 year deal for a 1st round pick? Hmmm. I'm no contract/cap guy...is that normal? Isnt it typically 5+? New CBA?

Anywhere from 4-6 is normal, and according to what's up there there's an option for a 5th.

If he's any good he'll be locked up before the contract is up anyway. It's the NFL, length of a contract means jack sh*t in this league anyway.

OTOH, looks like Coples wasn't so lazy when it comes to getting paid.

Anywhere from 4-6 is normal, and according to what's up there there's an option for a 5th.

If he's any good he'll be locked up before the contract is up anyway. It's the NFL, length of a contract means jack sh*t in this league anyway.

Hopefully he stays that way, which, honestly, I think he will. Almost every (Jets) player has been ripped apart this year for something, and each one knows his flaw and what he needs to brush up on.

if anyone cares I met Jon Gruden yesterday and he hates Coples.

Which Team is he the Head Coach of now? - Let's see how the kid plays on the field, I'm hoping he's the 10 sack interior line we've missed since Dennis Byrd. (by the way one of my fav Jets and people).

This new system is no joke. Players rush to sign now. Quite a change from the old days.

I'm grateful for it. There's no reason to pay these guys coming out elite money before they earn it. It was a crazy system

Only a 4 year deal for a 1st round pick? Hmmm. I'm no contract/cap guy...is that normal? Isnt it typically 5+? New CBA?

Not anymore. Even Cam Newton only got a 4-year deal and he was the #1 overall pick. I'm even surprised they allowed a team-only option for a 5th year, since effectively this would make it a 5 year deal unless the Jets "cut" him by not exercising the option. Someone else maybe could comment on that loophole.

The big losers in this are the teams who don't get as many cheap years from a first rounder, and to-be busts who won't get gargantuan Jamarcus Russell/Vernon Gholston contracts anymore. Winners in this are non-busts - particularly RBs - drafted high, and veterans who will now be the beneficiaries of the extra cap room not used on rookie deals.

Overall it's a better system IMO. Shouldn't be any players holding out until late August unless the team or player/agent just break balls for the sake of breaking balls.

if anyone cares I met Jon Gruden yesterday and he hates Coples.

"this guy" never has anything bad to say about players... lol, interesting, must be some gloom and doom to extrapolate from this... must be

Not anymore. Even Cam Newton only got a 4-year deal and he was the #1 overall pick. I'm even surprised they allowed a team-only option for a 5th year, since effectively this would make it a 5 year deal unless the Jets "cut" him by not exercising the option. Someone else maybe could comment on that loophole.

The big losers in this are the teams who don't get as many cheap years from a first rounder, and to-be busts who won't get gargantuan Jamarcus Russell/Vernon Gholston contracts anymore. Winners in this are non-busts - particularly RBs - drafted high, and veterans who will now be the beneficiaries of the extra cap room not used on rookie deals.

Overall it's a better system IMO. Shouldn't be any players holding out until late August unless the team or player/agent just break balls for the sake of breaking balls.

Thanks. Agreed its a better system. It was ridiculous that a player like VG earned more in his career for doing nothing compared to a solid 8-10 year veteran who maybe never hit the big pay day because they dont have the name or flash but have been super productive. And it was even more ridiculous the rookies could literally strong arm teams into giving them more money. The fact a rookie could hold out is beyond stupid IMO.

Seems like it's a loophole pretty much all NFL teams managed to dig up, because if you actually look, most of the first round picks signed so far this year have had that same 5th year option. If I had to guess, it's probably something both sides are willing to do as it's a means for teams to lock their rookies up for longer while I imagine it probably helps the agents sneak some bigger money into that part of the contract.

Seems like it's a loophole pretty much all NFL teams managed to dig up, because if you actually look, most of the first round picks signed so far this year have had that same 5th year option. If I had to guess, it's probably something both sides are willing to do as it's a means for teams to lock their rookies up for longer while I imagine it probably helps the agents sneak some bigger money into that part of the contract.

Its negotiated as part of the CBA. All these reporters going crazy about "and a 5th year option" either fail to understand the rule or want to make the contract sound like something special. The way the new system works is like this:

Players selected between 1 and 10 sign a 4 year contract with a 5th year option that will be valued as the cap average of the top 10 players at the position the year before the option kicks in. These are the same rules as the never used transition tag. The club must exercise the option between the end of the year 3 regular season and early May. Once exercised the salary will be guaranteed for injury. If the player is on the roster at the start of the 5th League Year the entire salary becomes fully guaranteed.

Players selected between 11 and 32 have the same exact rules in place except they dont use the top 10 in salary but instead the average of 3-25.

With the exception of the Gholston level busts Id imagine every team in the league will exercise the option after year 3 to protect their rights and then make the decision right before the start of the 5th year to keep or cut. 11-32 are pretty much screwed. Top 10 at least have a fighting chance to not be kept under that deal. The team can fine an option holdout $30K a day plus a regular season paycheck for each preseason game missed.

Rounds 3-7 all have a contract containing something called a Proven Performance Escalator in their 4th year of the contract. What this does is increase their base salary (normally 660K) to that of the RFA tag for the year. It is earned by participating in 35% of the snaps in 2 of 3 seasons or averaging 35% or more over 3 years. Nothing is guaranteed once earned. Again its mandated by the CBA to be included. The Jets used to do this in the past anyway normally giving the raise for workout participation.

All the draft money is now slotted. I put up a number for Coples on Twitter and Id expect each years salary to be within 5 dollars of whatever I guessed. Its that simple to do these deals now. Unless Miami does something crazy Id imagine Tannehill will get a SB of $7,653,464 with bases of 390,000, 965,841, $1,541,682, and $2,117,523. Id be shocked if the bonus was more than $7,654,472.

I think its more fair overall and clearly more cap friendly but the rookies at the top of the draft got hosed. For example Nick Mangolds rookie deal was worth about 6.6 million in the first four years and by 2010 that number increased to 8.74 million for Kyle Wilson. Last years number 29 will earn 7.056 million. Mangolds 5th year was worth about 3.5 million and Wilsons will be worth 4.3 million. Im not sure if an average of number 3-25 will even be close to that figure.

Its negotiated as part of the CBA. All these reporters going crazy about "and a 5th year option" either fail to understand the rule or want to make the contract sound like something special. The way the new system works is like this:

Players selected between 1 and 10 sign a 4 year contract with a 5th year option that will be valued as the cap average of the top 10 players at the position the year before the option kicks in. These are the same rules as the never used transition tag. The club must exercise the option between the end of the year 3 regular season and early May. Once exercised the salary will be guaranteed for injury. If the player is on the roster at the start of the 5th League Year the entire salary becomes fully guaranteed.

Players selected between 11 and 32 have the same exact rules in place except they dont use the top 10 in salary but instead the average of 3-25.

With the exception of the Gholston level busts Id imagine every team in the league will exercise the option after year 3 to protect their rights and then make the decision right before the start of the 5th year to keep or cut. 11-32 are pretty much screwed. Top 10 at least have a fighting chance to not be kept under that deal. The team can fine an option holdout $30K a day plus a regular season paycheck for each preseason game missed.

Rounds 3-7 all have a contract containing something called a Proven Performance Escalator in their 4th year of the contract. What this does is increase their base salary (normally 660K) to that of the RFA tag for the year. It is earned by participating in 35% of the snaps in 2 of 3 seasons or averaging 35% or more over 3 years. Nothing is guaranteed once earned. Again its mandated by the CBA to be included. The Jets used to do this in the past anyway normally giving the raise for workout participation.

All the draft money is now slotted. I put up a number for Coples on Twitter and Id expect each years salary to be within 5 dollars of whatever I guessed. Its that simple to do these deals now. Unless Miami does something crazy Id imagine Tannehill will get a SB of $7,653,464 with bases of 390,000, 965,841, $1,541,682, and $2,117,523. Id be shocked if the bonus was more than $7,654,472.

I think its more fair overall and clearly more cap friendly but the rookies at the top of the draft got hosed. For example Nick Mangolds rookie deal was worth about 6.6 million in the first four years and by 2010 that number increased to 8.74 million for Kyle Wilson. Last years number 29 will earn 7.056 million. Mangolds 5th year was worth about 3.5 million and Wilsons will be worth 4.3 million. Im not sure if an average of number 3-25 will even be close to that figure.

Yeah - we are all smarter because of Jason. Seriously.

Archived