Jets Add Veteran Safety Former Dolphin Yeremiah Bell

GREENBEAN

Post image for Jets Add Veteran Safety Former Dolphin Yeremiah Bell

Rumors had been flying about where former Dolphins safety Yeremiah Bell would sign this year.  It is being reported that he has signed a $1.4 million contract with the New York Jets:

Bell will add a veteran presence at safety to go along with newly signed rookies Josh Bush and Antonio Allen.

Follow the Bell signing at our Jets-Nation forum.

JETS sign Yeremiah Bell to one-year, $1.4 million deal

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 18, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT

bellgetty.jpg?w=148 Getty Images

Yeremiah Bell has found his new NFL home.

A league source tells PFT’s Mike Florio that Bell has signed with the Jets on a one-year, $1.4 million contract. The deal includes a $200,000 signing bonus, a $1.1 million fully guaranteed base salary and a $100,000 workout bonus.

Bell was expected to sign today after making visits to the Eagles, Jets, Chiefs and Titans since being released by the Dolphins, and now the deal with the Jets is done.

For the Jets, who went into the offseason with bolstering the safety position as one of their top priorities, have now added two in free agency, Bell and LaRon Landry. They also spent a sixth-round draft pick on safety Josh Bush and a seventh-round draft pick on safety Antonio Allen.

The 34-year-old Bell has played his entire eight-year career with the Dolphins. He started all 16 games last year.

Welcome to the land of slow safeties that can't cover TE's.

I think at this point they're just thrilled to have safeties capable of moving, no matter how slowly, without falling flat on their faces for no apparent reason whatsoever.

At least it shows that the Jets have finally conceded how horrendously awful Eric Smith really is, considering this is now the 4th safety they've acquired this offseason.

That's a fair point. It should also tell those certain individuals who still felt the need to still inexplicably defend Eric Smith what the team thinks of him.

We have a top 5 defense, BG. Therefore, Eric Smith is not awful. SOUND LOGIC.

we've got some hitters back there wow

they must be banking on Revis/Cro/KW stopping the deep ball by themselves though...

Pretty much exactly what I am thinking. Revis/Cro/Wilson and Landry.. game over. I can't wait to see Landry decapitate someone.

He's solid a thumper, and adds vet experience.

Also if Landry's Achilles does not hold up, you can throw Bell in front of Smith on the depth chart.

I'm personally hoping one of our late round picks at Saftey works out. I just wonder how much Tony S had to do with the pick up?

this should pretty much tell everyone what the team thinks about Bush/Allen starting as rookies.

Or their faith in Landry finishing the season health. Fully fully gauranteeing his contract all but admits they plan on one of their safeties being unable to finish their season, whether based on health or performance.

That's a fair point. It should also tell those certain individuals who still felt the need to still inexplicably defend Eric Smith what the team thinks of him.

ok it should also tell certain individuals that the Jim Leonard is done.

I actually thought the same as soon as I saw that Bell's contract was fully guaranteed. The only possible exception would be if the rookies both really failed to impress in camp and he was still a FA.

also notable Vrentas just said on twitter that Landry has not been participating in workouts. this player probably wouldn't pass a physical for other teams. The Jets are taking a huge risk with Landry and Bell is insurance on that risk.

Eric Smith... JMO the coaches have a different opinion of this player than the internet does. for all his warts he was the leading tackler last year.

also notable Vrentas just said on twitter that Landry has not been participating in workouts. this player probably wouldn't pass a physical for other teams. The Jets are taking a huge risk with Landry and Bell is insurance on that risk.

Eric Smith... JMO the coaches have a different opinion of this player than the internet does. for all his warts he was the leading tackler last year.

If the Jets were so happy with Eric Smith, they wouldn't have brought in 4 safeties in the past two months, regardless of Landry's health.

After all, it sure makes it a lot easier to be the leading tackler (just as long as you don't fall over) when opposing offenses go out of their way to go in your direction, and every throw your way is almost certain to be completed.

If the Jets were so happy with Eric Smith, they wouldn't have brought in 4 safeties in the past two months, regardless of Landry's health.

After all, it sure makes it a lot easier to be the leading tackler (just as long as you don't fall over) when opposing offenses go out of their way to go in your direction, and every throw your way is almost certain to be completed.

Silly reasoning. They had Eric Smith left on the roster, and if I recall, that's it. They needed to bring in at least 3 other safeties just to round out the roster. They may even carry 5 this season given Landry's injury concerns.

we've got some hitters back there wow

they must be banking on Revis/Cro/KW stopping the deep ball by themselves though...

If the QB is on his back, there will be no deep ball. I think/hope that is the plan. LOL

Landry is coming back from an achilles tear and he is not participating in offseason workouts. It's May, he's at the facility and he's not working out. that's not good. Even if he gets healthy there's no guarantee he stays healthy.

That's always been Landry's wrap I believe, he works out on his own. Kinda stupid though when coming off injury, but then again a lot of these guys aren't Mensa material.

Good, keeps us from bringing back Leonhards hapless butt.

I can understand Smith but why the hate on Leonhard? Are we really to believe that we had one of the top pass defenses for 3 years running despite having two of the worst safeties in the league? Get real bro.

Silly reasoning. They had Eric Smith left on the roster, and if I recall, that's it. They needed to bring in at least 3 other safeties just to round out the roster. They may even carry 5 this season given Landry's injury concerns.

Well what about the part where Eric Smith is an absolutely horrendously awful safety?

I don't know, I'm just not seeing where the Jets replacing Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool with 4 safeties is a glowing endorsement of the guy.

I think at this point they're just thrilled to have safeties capable of moving, no matter how slowly, without falling flat on their faces for no apparent reason whatsoever.

At least it shows that the Jets have finally conceded how horrendously awful Eric Smith really is, considering this is now the 4th safety they've acquired this offseason.

BG theres no one who can describe Eric Smith Quite like you can. Love it

This is probably a better point than your first one. I dont think anyone in their right mind felt that a 6th and 7th round pick were the answers to the safety issues.

Archived