What will the Jets do with all these safeties?

BlackDynamite

The Jets carried 10 in their secondary last year, six CBs and 4 safeties. This is fairly standard in the NFL, as you will see more and more "Nickel" packages, with more passing and less running offenses in the NFL than ever before.

They picked up two FA safeties in LaRon Landry and Yeramiah Bell, and signed two rookie safeties in the draft in Antonio Allen and Josh Bush. They will join incumbent, and the new QB of the secondary, Eric Smith

ALL the safeties could be considered "Box" safeties except for Josh Bell, and converted CB who has 6 INTs last year in his new role. Expect him to be a virtual lock to make the 53-man roster due to his ability to play two positions, and him being the best safety on the team when it comes to coverage skills. Plus he costs virtually nothing.

Landry is still recovering from his Achilles injury, and the Jets are optimistic he will be ready for the Season Opener, but they are far from 100%. Hence the Bell signing.......

Here is the ten the Jets carried last year: DB (10): Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Marquice Cole,Donald Strickland, Eric Smith, Jim Leonhard, Brodney Pool, Emanuel Cook, Isiah Trufant

So the question is: It is HIGHLY unlikely the Jets will carry only 5 DBs, while carrying 5 safeties.

Who doesn't make the cut? Who will learn to say "Practice Squad"?

BD

Cimmini said Bell was brought in to start and you gotta think Landry is a lock to start too. So it looks like Bell and Landry will start and after that it gets a little cloudy but I could see a situation where Smith gets cut because of how much he gets paid or maybe one of the rookies go.

Cimmini said Bell was brought in to start and you gotta think Landry is a lock to start too. So it looks like Bell and Landry will start and after that it gets a little cloudy but I could see a situation where Smith gets cut because of how much he gets paid or maybe one of the rookies go.

Highly unlikely that Smith would get cut. The coaching staff really seems to like him and they go out of their way to say he was hurt last year.

To answer BD's original question, what will they do with all these safeties? Hopefully cover a tight end. :)

The answer is.......

Starters will be Landry and Smith, PROVIDED Landry is healthy. If not, Bell will replace Landry.

(Yes, the Jets are worried about Landry's health, that's why they got Bell. Sparano had a hand in that too....)

Smith is THE ONLY safety who knows the defense, inside and out, so he will be out there Opening Day, whether you like it or not.....

On 3rd and long, expect to see plenty of Josh Bush, as he is the best coverage safety.

Antonio Allen may end up on PS, if I had to bet who is the odd man out. They won't carry 5 safeties on the roster.....

BD

On 3rd and long, expect to see plenty of Josh Bush, as he is the best coverage safety.

Antonio Allen may end up on PS, if I had to bet who is the odd man out. They won't carry 5 safeties on the roster.....

BD

I don't know if we'll see plenty of Bush, but I do like his chances of making the roster better than Allen. Allen is physically very similar to Smith, Landry, and Bell, Bush is more of a 'tweener in the mold of Dwight Lowery - who I think they regret trading.

But for those guys, it'll ultimately come down to what they are capable of producing on special teams.

I don't think Smith is a lock to make the team. But the most likely scenario is that Landry is hurt and this conversation is rendered moot.

I have to add that I wonder why the Jets would sign Landry after the whole Jenkins thing. The chances that Landry makes it through a full NFL season is not good. So why rely on him? It doesn't feel like the right move. At least in this case we didn't trade picks - and have a plan B in Bell and the rookies.

I don't know if we'll see plenty of Bush, but I do like his chances of making the roster better than Allen. Allen is physically very similar to Smith, Landry, and Bell, Bush is more of a 'tweener in the mold of Dwight Lowery - who I think they regret trading.

But for those guys, it'll ultimately come down to what they are capable of producing on special teams.

Yep.

Bush is not a LOCK to make the roster, but because of his skills he has a decent chance. Remember there is a reason he is such a late round pick.

IMO the signing of Bell indicates that the Jets have big doubts about Landry.

If you notice, he doesn't seem to be made available to the media. When healthy he is kind of a star and a bit of a loose cannon. Would think the press would want to talk to him.

I have a bad feeling that the Jets are VERY concerned about his health for the season. That's why Bell was signed at this point.

If Bush makes the 53 it is possible he takes one of the CB's spot. Landry's health is the key. Looks like Leonard is done with the Jets unless something else weird happens. Like Landry being put on IR, or depending how his contract is structured, released

Reports are that Bell was signed as a starter. Landry will make more than Bell if healthy, so one would assume he is the other starter. Smith will be the top reserve, and he is guaranteed a roster spot because he is the only current safety on the roster that knows the D and because of his contributions on STs. Leonhard is the wildcard here, as it would not surprise me if they bring him in as a coach on the field.

From there you have a battle between Bush, Allen, Tracy Wilson, DeAngelo Smith, and D'Anton Lynn for two spots max.

The Jets probably had to promise Bell that he would play a lot/start to get him. The Eagles and Chiefs wanted him too.

Of course he picked the Jets over them, but having two starting safeties who are both new to the defense is asking for trouble.

I think Smith should start the season as a starter, and then as everybody gets acclimated to the defense after 3-4 games, another starter will emerge....

BD

I think either 2 things happen:

1-they keep 5 because of Landry's injury history.

2-Josh Bush gets put on PS, which I think is most likely. I think he's going to be physically overwhelmed in the pros.

Wouldn't mind seeing Smith get cut, just so Rex doesn't get tempted to put him back out there as a starter. But I think he's too valuable as a STer.

I love that we went from having trash @ Safety to having too many options :D

I'm not so sure that we still don't have trash. Nobody giving Landry anything more than a 1 year deal and now all the recent sh*t are not good signs at all. Bell isn't terrible but he isn't very good either. It's kind bizarre that with a full offseason and draft, Smith may very well still be the best safety on the roster. And that's by no means a compliment towards him.

BG comin yo.

I suppose the Jets medical staff gets the benefit of the doubt. They're the best in the league at what they do, but so far Landry's passed all the smell tests. It's hard to be optimistic at this point when it comes to him. They gave Bell twice the vet minimum and guaranteed it. That's not a good sign.

i could see them carrying 5 safeties. 4 clearly wasn't enough last year. Besides Landry, who isn't healthy right now, Eric Smith has a questionable injury history as well (concussions, knee). Bell in ancient. SO maybe 5 is the right number?

also should be noted Antonio Allen is not a lock to make the team. He needs a champion in westoff and best case he replaces Emmanuel Cook's old role ST dynamo. 7th rounders have been cut as rookies under the tannenbaum.

I suppose the Jets medical staff gets the benefit of the doubt. They're the best in the league at what they do, but so far Landry's passed all the smell tests. It's hard to be optimistic at this point when it comes to him. They gave Bell twice the vet minimum and guaranteed it. That's not a good sign.

Yeah. It's not good. Everybody we have is hurt or a rookie or bad or all three.

The chances of the Jets putting their best coverage safety on PS is about the same as the Jets cutting the only safety who knows the defense.....

BD

I expect a better than normal rookie season for Josh Bush.

He will be given plenty of opportunities to make plays in coverage......

BD

It's cool to have high hopes for a rookie, but anointing him the best coverage safety on the squad is a bit soon. I understand he has played corner and projects as a quality coverage safety, but he has yet to play a down. He played at wake forest. Not exactly facing NFL qbs on a regular basis.

I expect a better than normal rookie season for Josh Bush.

He will be given plenty of opportunities to make plays in coverage......

BD

Bush is the only one with cover skills out of the lot.

Bush does have more cover skills, but if they value that trait then why didn't the team go after any legit safeties with cover skills?

Archived