Kellen Winslow: I won't be back with Buccaneers

Ryno the Jet

Find this article at: http://www.nfl.com/n...with-buccaneers

Kellen Winslow: I won't be back with Buccaneers

By Gregg Rosenthal

Published: May 21, 2012 at 10:13 a.m.

Kellen Winslow Jr.'s three year run in Tampa is about to end.

Winslow told Ross Tucker of Sirius XM NFL Radio on Monday morning that Bucs coach Greg Schiano informed Winslow that he won't be back with the team in 2012. The Bucs are trying to trade Winslow.

Winslow has three years remaining on his current contract and is due $3.3 million in 2012. He has remained productive in Tampa, topping 700 yards for the third straight season in 2011. Winslow is only 28 years old, but he has the knees of a 15-year veteran after countless surgeries. He averaged only 10.2 yards-per-catch last season and has seen his explosive ability sapped by injuries.

There should be a market for Winslow because his pricetag isn't onerous, but we wouldn't be shocked if the Bucs were ultimately forced to outright release him. Schiano clearly didn't see Winslow fitting with the new-look Bucs long term and he is ready to cut bait. The move could send a message to the rest of the Bucs roster that everyone's job is on the line.

Winslow was absent from the start of Bucs OTAs last week.

Ross Tucker@RossTuckerNFL

Winslow said Bucs were upset he wasn't working out with them this offseason. Thinks he has a lot left. Caught 75 for 763 last year.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

TE Kellen Winslow told Sirius the Buccaneers are trying to trade him. Which helps explain the Dallas Clark workout.

I wouldn't trade a thing for him, especially given his health issues, but the Jets are very thin when it comes to any real TEs on this roster, so if he were to get cut he'd certainly be worth a look.

Can he block? If the answer is "adequately" or better, then why not? Having a pass-catching TE who we DON'T need to stick in the slot would be a blessing. It would also be a nice little duo to counter Belichick's TE combo.

Problem is I doubt we have the cap space to do it.

The Bucs rarely do the smart thing -- this is a rare exception.

I agree

Just leave Kellen where he's at. Jets should have good receiving TE's. Even though everyone, for some reason, hates him Keller is a good receiving TE. Cumberland, if he's healthy, should also be a good receiving TE, who knows what the Aussie's got?

If they need a blocking TE, stick Vlad out there again. He did a decent job, and could sure use the reps. Doesn't look like he'll be getting any as RT, now that the Jets have the best RT in the NFL in Hunter

Even though everyone, for some reason, hates him Keller is a good receiving TE.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone hates Keller.

However, when you consider that: a) We traded into the 1st round to get him, 2) He can't block for sh**, and 3) his pass-catching production is merely "good", not somewhere from "elite" to "transcendent", as you would hope/expect given points 1 and 2, that's where the perceived "hate" comes from, I'd say.

I agree

Just leave Kellen where he's at. Jets should have good receiving TE's. Even though everyone, for some reason, hates him Keller is a good receiving TE. Cumberland, if he's healthy, should also be a good receiving TE, who knows what the Aussie's got?

If they need a blocking TE, stick Vlad out there again. He did a decent job, and could sure use the reps. Doesn't look like he'll be getting any as RT, now that the Jets have the best RT in the NFL in Hunter

I like Keller, and thought he had a really nice season last year, but the Jets need a TE who compliments him well, and none of the guys currently on the roster do that. It's more than just having a blocker, because as you said, you can stick an OL out there. It's about the benefits of having more of a well rounded player. Let Keller be the receiver he's able to be, and I think the Jets could get a nice boost from simply a solid all around TE. The guy doesn't need to be anything special, but just someone you can throw out there to block and do a good job, but also come off the line and be able to run a route and catch a ball on occasion, which would allow the Jets to mix things up much more be it for play action or lining Keller up in different places. While he's not as bad as he used to be, Keller is far from an impressive blocker and yet he's the only guy at his position who can block at all. It's just him, a converted WR, an H-back, and a converted Rugby player.

Consider for a moment that Keller's 65 catches led the team, and by a pretty wide margin, and the second most catches at the position were Mulligan's 5 in 16 games. That's really awful.

Should Jets pursue Winslow?

May, 21, 2012

May 21

11:12

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Bucs TE Kellen Winslow told Sirius XM NFL Radio Monday morning he was informed over the weekend that the Bucs don't want him anymore. He said the team will put him on the trading block. If they can't trade him (it'll be difficult with a $3.3 million salary), he probably will be released.

Should the Jets be interested?

Winslow is an intriguing player because, despite chronic knee problems, he hasn't missed a game in three years and his numbers over those three seasons are more than respectable -- 218 receptions, 2,377 yards and 12 touchdowns. The former first-round pick (Browns, 2004) was considered a blue-chip talent coming out of Miami, but injuries have hampered him.

The Jets are in the market for a tight end. We know this because, just last week, they submitted a waiver claim for former Colts TE Brody Eldridge, who was awarded to the Rams. Eldridge is a 6-foot-5, 265-pound blocking tight end. That's what the Jets need -- a replacement for Matthew Mulligan, whom they dumped in free agency.

Winslow is anything but a blocking tight end. He's an older version of starter Dustin Keller, except with less tread on the tires. A Keller-Winslow tandem would cause problems for the opposition, but new OC Tony Sparano likes to use tight ends in pass protection, and he'd be limiting his flexibility if his top two tight ends were ill-suited to that role. Plus, if the Jets are going to be a smash-mouth running team, they need a big, physical blocker at tight end to pair with the athletic Keller.

They don't have that guy on the roster. The No. 2 is Jeff Cumberland, a former college WR who flashed some promise last season as a pass-catching tight end before blowing out his Achilles' tendon. Cumberland is participating in team drills, but he's not a true blocking tight end. They also have H-Back Josh Baker and former rugby player Hayden Smith, a project.

The bottom line is, Winslow is an interesting option. But, based on their offensive philosophy and current make-up at tight end, the Jets should take a pass.

Winslow is anything but a blocking tight end. He's an older version of starter Dustin Keller, except with less tread on the tires. A Keller-Winslow tandem would cause problems for the opposition, but new OC Tony Sparano likes to use tight ends in pass protection, and he'd be limiting his flexibility if his top two tight ends were ill-suited to that role. Plus, if the Jets are going to be a smash-mouth running team, they need a big, physical blocker at tight end to pair with the athletic Keller.

The thing is that I doubt we resign Keller, at least I hope not with what he's probably going to command on the market. Bringing Winslow in would be intriguing nonetheless, almost like a one-year tryout. I wouldn't be concerned about the injuries too much simply because that was in Cleveland and they have maybe the worst medical staff and facilities in history. Really no coincidence that he hasn't missed a game since then.

I definitely don't agree with Cimini that the Jets should be going for a TE who is a big blocker and nothing more, as like flgreen said, you can always get an extra OL to do that. A more well rounded player at the position would do much more for this offense (that's not to say Winslow is that player).

I definitely don't agree with Cimini that the Jets should be going for a TE who is a big blocker and nothing more, as like flgreen said, you can always get an extra OL to do that. A more well rounded player at the position would do much more for this offense (that's not to say Winslow is that player).

Nothing wrong with what your saying BG, but the problem is, that TE's who can both block in the running game, pass block, and are good receivers, are very rare, and very expensive. Not to mention that I don't know of any that are available.

Don't want Winsow. he'll get a few dollars, and he's got lots of miles

Nothing wrong with what your saying BG, but the problem is, that TE's who can both block in the running game, pass block, and are good receivers, are very rare, and very expensive. Not to mention that I don't know of any that are available.

Don't want Winsow. he'll get a few dollars, and he's got lots of miles

Oh yeah, I'm not talking about guys who can dominate in all facets of the game, but a guy who can block without having a false start on every snap he plays, or go run a route and have a ball thrown to him without dropping it every time is even enough. Think of it as more of a Chris Baker type player. The guy was far from an all pro, but was solid at what was asked of him and nothing more. Not exactly the ideal choice as your starting player, but that's exactly the type of compliment that would be perfect for a guy like Keller. The problem is it seems like for years now the Jets TE depth chart has either had a receiver who couldn't block you or me, or a blocker who couldn't catch a cold (or even worse yet, Matt Mulligan). All I'm asking for is a guy who is capable of being on the football field for both run and pass plays.

Keller/Kellen tandem would be great for us. Mark likes to throw the ball deep, 6 yards at a time. Kellen can catch. Two weapons like that would work well for us. Of course, not picking him up leaves the opportunity for Santonio to get decapitated going over the middle. So win win situation in my opinion.

I agree

Totally. Keller is one of my favorite Jets. He's better than what people give him credit for. Its not his fault Schotty designed plays what omitted TE's.

Totally. Keller is one of my favorite Jets. He's better than what people give him credit for. Its not his fault Schotty designed plays what omitted TE's.

Keller had the most receptions on the team last season, 14 more than his next closer competitor, more than any WR or RB.

No thanks to Schitty. How may of those went for first downs?

That would be 39. Had to look that up...while I was looking that up, I found out Plax had 38 1st down catches. Talk about making the most out of your catches. He only had 45, but 38 went for 1st's and 8 went for TD's.

That would be 39. Had to look that up...while I was looking that up, I found out Plax had 38 1st down catches. Talk about making the most out of your catches. He only had 45, but 38 went for 1st's and 8 went for TD's.

They probably had to fight tooth and nail for those first downs, unlike most NFL offensive players in normal offenses. #routedesign

Keller had the most receptions on the team last season, 14 more than his next closer competitor, more than any WR or RB.

And still there were many times where Keller would start off great and then the play calling would go completely away from Keller and he would disappear for the rest of the game.

Im not saying that he's not productive, im saying that Schotty's an idiot.

Archived