Ellis Will Serve 45 days in Jail Beginning June 15

flgreen

Jets defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis will serve 45-day jail sentence beginning on June 15

BY Manish Mehta

Kenrick Ellis will begin a 45-day jail sentence on June 15 at 7 pm stemming from his malicious wounding case, a Hampton Circuit Court official told the Daily News on Monday. Ellis entered an "Alford" plea to a misdemeanor assault and battery count. He also received two years of probation.

The official sentence was 179 days with 89 days suspended.

According to Virginia law, the remaining 90 days will be cut in half with good behavior. Ellis will be able to participate in OTAs and mini-camp (June 12-14). He will miss only three days of training camp. The Jets' first training camp practice is scheduled for July 27.

An NFL spokesman told the Daily News last Friday that the league will review the court record to determine whether there will be any discipline. The plea deal confirms a News report last week that Ellis, who is not a U.S. citizen, will not be deported to his native Jamaica.

Ellis was charged with malicious wounding in April 2010 after he defended his girlfriend at the time on the Hampton University campus.

"An NFL spokesman told the Daily News last Friday that the league will review the court record to determine whether there will be any discipline"

How can there be any disapline? he wasn't in the NFL at the time.

Has the Commish taken over the criminal court system to?

"An NFL spokesman told the Daily News last Friday that the league will review the court record to determine whether there will be any discipline"

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6873163/terrelle-pryor-eligible-nfl-sit-first-five-games

Yep! Was just about to say...didnt he for Pryor. Goodell is ruining the sport.

Ellis will be able to participate in OTAs and mini-camp (June 12-14). He will miss only three days of training camp. The Jets' first training camp practice is scheduled for July 27.

There you have it, this is the most important part right here (from the standpoint of the Jets at least). For those select individuals who acted like Ellis' NFL career was all but over because of this, the guy is going to miss a grand total of 3 days of his NFL offseason.

Well good news, he'll only be in for a little over a month instead of 3 months. Not miss any valuable training camp time either. Lets just hope the idiot learns his lesson in the slammer and keeps his nose clean from now on. Kids a great talent, could be a probowler one day.

Well good news, he'll only be in for a little over a month instead of 3 months. Not miss any valuable training camp time either. Lets just hope the idiot learns his lesson in the slammer and keeps his nose clean from now on. Kids a great talent, could be a probowler one day.

I think that the Jets are quietly jumping through hoops at this ruling. The only reason he was on the board in the third round was this assault charge hanging over his head. Having this situation done and finished by the time training camp rolls around is a win for all parties; except perhaps Ellis who actually has to do the time...

Dude just skated -- big time. Just hope the commish doesn't pull out his self righteous whuppin' stick.

On what basis can he suspend Ellis? I know that Pryor was suspended last season for violations committed during his collegiate years, but this is a much different situation. Pryor was being suspended by the league for blatantly trying to circumvent a punishment already handed down by the NCAA. Ellis never even had his day in court, he took the plea deal before then, and he is actually serving his penalty to society...

On what basis can he suspend Ellis? I know that Pryor was suspended last season for violations committed during his collegiate years, but this is a much different situation. Pryor was being suspended by the league for blatantly trying to circumvent a punishment already handed down by the NCAA. Ellis never even had his day in court, he took the plea deal before then, and he is actually serving his penalty to society...

This is a good point but I wouldnt put anything past Roger Goodell. He disciplines for fun.

Roger can do whatever he wants if he deems it to be for the good of the game. I don't agree with his approach, but that is the reality.

seems fair enough. Ellis did someone dirty and acted like an a$$, getting tossed from one college and arrested at another...the result: he's had to sweat for a year waiting to see if he becomes an NFL millionaire, or spends the rest of his life stuffing jamaican beef pies. the punishment was nonsense, but the waiting and worrying makes up for it i think...not to mention teaching an immature a$$ not to be...well...an immature a$$. And by most accounts the kid's been a model citizen since his arrest. Throw a few million lost in the upcoming civil suit and i think Kenrick is done with the tough-guy routine. Lets hope so for his sake and the Jets.

Roger can do whatever he wants if he deems it to be for the good of the game. I don't agree with his approach, but that is the reality.

Roger has way too much power if he can suspend Ellis transgressions committed prior to his time in college, particularly if he has already served what society has deemed an appropriate punishment...

Archived