is this the year the Jets win the Superbowl??

Blackout

we will need to have a once-in-a-generation defense to have a shot at the title.

when you have Rex and Revis then it's not too far fetched

granted we are Cotchery and Plax-less this season so our offense will need Tebow to resurrect it!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when you have Rex and Revis then it's not too far fetched

granted we are Cotchery and Plax-less this season so our offense will need Tebow to resurrect it!

LOL!

This defense will once again be a good defense with a mediocre offense that will build us up and then dash our hopes in yet another AFC championship game that jets fans will cum all over themselves cause we came close again.

• 3 weeks later...

This off-season has been the toughest one since the new regime took over. The team is getting killed by the media. Woody is getting killed for the Tebow signing. People are rolling their eyes at Sparano. Rex is on the hot seat for no apparent reason. Santonio Holmes is still on the team.

In short.. yes. Yes. This is the year.

good post!

I guess a good answer to the OP question would be... How unlikely was the last JETS SB win ?

Was the defense a "once in a generation" defense ? No.

I think the key element in the last SB win was determination. It was special determination.. It was determination derived from an unlikely source... the source wore a houndstooth fedora, and he brought tears to Joe Willie's eyes the day he died.

Joe Namath won the last JETS SB... I don't think the day before they won, that Vegas would have favored Joe Willie over Johnnie U.. The Colts were supposedly the best football team that ever existed at the time.. very similar to the pats legacy now... lol.

The problem the JETS have had for too many years has been they eat themselves and their young... I am hoping there is a revitalization of football and less business in Florham Park in TC...

I believe if everyone on the JETS believes, and the fans believe, it can happen.

All it takes is two or three prominent individuals to be ***wipes and no, we won't play in January...on the other hand, all it takes is two or three prominent individuals to be believers and ballers, and yes , we will get our chance for a helmet catch like Eli did.

I guess a good answer to the OP question would be... How unlikely was the last JETS SB win ?

Joe Namath won the last JETS SB... I don't think the day before they won, that Vegas would have favored Joe Willie over Johnnie U.. The Colts were supposedly the best football team that ever existed at the time.. very similar to the pats legacy now... lol.

Joe Namath was the QB, but he did not win SBIII. The defense, and Matt Snell won it

I would like to see a breakdown of the Jets 2009 defense (the best they have had in this regime, arguably) vs. the projected 2012 defense.

I'm not sure how that would play out, but talent-wise, this defense might be better.

Defensive Line

2009: Jenkins, S. Ellis, Douglas, DeVito, Green, Pouha, Pito,

2012: Pouha, Wilkerson, Coples, DeVito, Dixon, K. Ellis, Tevaseu

This match-up goes to the 2012 group, though only slightly IMO. What you have to like better about the 2012 group is 1) youth, there are many younger guys here with upside, 2) depth: behind the starting three, I will take the four of DeVito, Dixon, K. Ellis and Tevaseu of 2012 over the inexperienced, undeveloped versions of DeVito and Pouha along with Green and Pito. I wouldn't fault anyone for taking 09's group though.

Linebackers

2009: Harris, Scott, Pace, Thomas, Gholston, Westerman, Murrell, Trusnik

2012: Harris, Scott, Pace, Thomas, Maybin, D. Davis, Mauga, Bellore

I will give the 2012 group an edge here as well, more so than I gave to the linemen. Yes, Scott has lost a step, and Thomas is coming off of an injury. However, here again we have better youth in Maybin, D. Davis as compared to Gholston, Westerman.

Secondary

2009: Revis, Sheppard, Strickland, Coleman, Cole, Rhodes, Leonhard, Smith, Lowery, Ighedibo

2012: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Landry, Bell, Smith, Allen/Bush, Trufant, Lankster

Here is the first one that 2009 wins, for sure in my books.

Though 2012's Cromartie is an upgrade over 2009's Sheppard, and though 2012 Wilson is an upgrade over 2009's Strickland, those are the only places in which the 2012 group has the edge, IMO. Granted, 2012 group has upside in all these young safeties, but look at 2009's depth in the secondary! It's stunning! You've got several quality pieces there on the bench or playing dime or third safety roles. Also 2009's Rhodes holds the edge over either safety on the 2012 club, in talent and in injury likelihood. 2009's Leonhard is also very solid and has few doubts compared to 2012's group. The safety depth is actually kinda cool on 2012 group, but 2009 is so loaded that they could lose their nickelback three times and still have a decent player to shove in there.

I would like to see a breakdown of the Jets 2009 defense (the best they have had in this regime, arguably) vs. the projected 2012 defense.

I'm not sure how that would play out, but talent-wise, this defense might be better.

Defensive Line

2009: Jenkins, S. Ellis, Douglas, DeVito, Green, Pouha, Pito,

2012: Pouha, Wilkerson, Coples, DeVito, Dixon, K. Ellis, Tevaseu

This match-up goes to the 2012 group, though only slightly IMO. What you have to like better about the 2012 group is 1) youth, there are many younger guys here with upside, 2) depth: behind the starting three, I will take the four of DeVito, Dixon, K. Ellis and Tevaseu of 2012 over the inexperienced, undeveloped versions of DeVito and Pouha along with Green and Pito. I wouldn't fault anyone for taking 09's group though.

Linebackers

2009: Harris, Scott, Pace, Thomas, Gholston, Westerman, Murrell, Trusnik

2012: Harris, Scott, Pace, Thomas, Maybin, D. Davis, Mauga, Bellore

I will give the 2012 group an edge here as well, more so than I gave to the linemen. Yes, Scott has lost a step, and Thomas is coming off of an injury. However, here again we have better youth in Maybin, D. Davis as compared to Gholston, Westerman.

Secondary

2009: Revis, Sheppard, Strickland, Coleman, Cole, Rhodes, Leonhard, Smith, Lowery, Ighedibo

2012: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Landry, Bell, Smith, Allen/Bush, Trufant, Lankster

Here is the first one that 2009 wins, for sure in my books.

Though 2012's Cromartie is an upgrade over 2009's Sheppard, and though 2012 Wilson is an upgrade over 2009's Strickland, those are the only places in which the 2012 group has the edge, IMO. Granted, 2012 group has upside in all these young safeties, but look at 2009's depth in the secondary! It's stunning! You've got several quality pieces there on the bench or playing dime or third safety roles. Also 2009's Rhodes holds the edge over either safety on the 2012 club, in talent and in injury likelihood. 2009's Leonhard is also very solid and has few doubts compared to 2012's group. The safety depth is actually kinda cool on 2012 group, but 2009 is so loaded that they could lose their nickelback three times and still have a decent player to shove in there.

The place I have to disagree with is the DL. It certainly hasn't been proved yet but I agree with JiF. This year's DL is really going to be special. Next years is going to be even better.

The 09 team only had 1 star. Jenkins. Guy was a beast. He only played 6 games in 09.

IMO this DL is the best since the sack exchange

Wow, lofty praise! Where are all the sacks coming from... Coples? Coples and who else?

Because of Coples, and Wilkerson, Maybin is in the perfect spot to rack up big sack #'s. Just think back to last year. How many times did Maybin just fly by the QB a yard deep? The QB had room to step up.

I think Coples, and Wilkerson are going to make QB's step back. A good bit. If Maybin still has that speed off the corner with the added weight. 14-16 sacks

Because of Coples, and Wilkerson, Maybin is in the perfect spot to rack up big sack #'s. Just think back to last year. How many times did Maybin just fly by the QB a yard deep? The QB had room to step up.

I think Coples, and Wilkerson are going to make QB's step back. A good bit. If Maybin still has that speed off the corner with the added weight. 14-16 sacks

It may be rose-colored glasses in a heat wave, but I agree that this is well within the realm of possibility.

I imagine the Jets will spread the sacks around, though. Coples and Wilk will get their share. Maybin, of course. But Scott, Harris, Pace, Davis, even a few from the secondary, too.

Why? Because our offense sucks. Totally and completely sucks. We'll be lucky to score 10 points a week on offense. Defense has to score and shut down opponents to give Sanchize & Teblow a chance to win it.

Meh. The offense sucked last year, ranked 25th in total yards (one spot ahead of the 13-3 49ers), but a more respectable 13th in scoring. I expect this year's offense to be at least a little better than the one where Mark Sanchez set the franchise record for TD passes.

Meh. The offense sucked last year, ranked 25th in total yards (one spot ahead of the 13-3 49ers), but a more respectable 13th in scoring. I expect this year's offense to be at least a little better than the one where Mark Sanchez set the franchise record for TD passes.

He did?

Archived